Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Aeroworks P-51D ARC built

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Aeroworks P-51D ARC built

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2012, 06:30 AM
Zorba1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Aeroworks P-51D ARC built

Maybe so Leroy, but don't forget the two coats of epoxy I sanded them down so most of it came off.
Are you going to use two blade prop or four?
I was going to do the compartment for the electronics in front also but then I would have to add weight in the tail to balance.
Nice looking bird. Can you post details of how you are going to do the sliding canopy?

Thanks
Bill
Old 01-05-2012, 09:15 PM
Leroy Gardner

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Well Bill I've heard so many problems with 4 bladed props that I don't even want to go there. It will fly with 2 blade, probably 22-10 or 23-8 and couple different mfgs. to see which produces the most thrust around 8500 rpm. 2 blades are more efficent in this class and 4 blades for static. Fred (Condor) could give you some advice on that subject, he used one on his Aero-Works that he finally got to fly but he also had a DA 85 in it. " Hey " I have to admit they really look good but I'm not going to spend the money just to find out I'm right. Kinda like trying one on a real Piper Cub-It ain't going no where.

I bought some Plastistrut materials today to make the slide rails tor canopy. I was going to use brass tube but it's a bummer to split one side for inner tube to go through with the mounts sodered in it. I just said the heck with that approach. I'll be taking pictures as I go along and probably post a how to do sliding canopy. Alot of guys may have an intrest in that. I'll put some on your build site just because you asked.

These planes are very simular in size but were and are built around different engins. The US-41 is a magnito engine and it's heavy for it's size. I will be able to balance mine with battery choice. most every one that builds the TF 1/5 mustang has had to add weight to nose when useing 50cc size engines, non magnito.

Keep up the good work, I'm watching Ya. Leroy
Old 01-06-2012, 12:21 PM
sebo

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm interested in the canopy setup too.....have a Pica P51 kit
Old 01-06-2012, 02:37 PM
Zorba1

Thanks Leroy, mine slides already but I was thinking of using a servo to do it remotely.
I'll figure it out I guess.

Cheers
Old 01-06-2012, 07:40 PM
Leroy Gardner

Bill did'nt your plane come with a air cylinder slide ? I thought it did. I don't know if you can get enough travel out of a servo to slide it very far, at least 3 inches ?.

Well sebo I guess I'll do the slide for you. I made the rails today, reshaped the cockpit cut out to mount the guides on, they need to run paralle to center line of fuse and each other so canopy slides straight back, not at a upward slant. They also need to be square with each other and exact distance apart. Length of mine are 5"and 3/4" long and fit flush to instrument pannel and will slide 4". I'll explain more about that when I show them on plane with canopy seperated from wind screen and mounted. There are steps to follow in doing this. My canopy will be manually operated and will not incorporate a rear slide which could be added for actuaters. 2 hidden screws 1 ea. side midway will keep it shut, open is for static shows only and screws can be quickly removed. Personally I think the rear slide takes away from the fact the real plane dose'nt have a slot there. My tubes are only 3/16" square. I want it to look as real as possible.

Bill when ya going to be ready for graphics, must be getting close. Are the dry transfer ?

Stay tuned there will be more coming Leroy
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv63714.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	93.9 KB
ID:	1710591   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nj25193.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	92.0 KB
ID:	1710592   Click image for larger version

Name:	In28482.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	65.8 KB
ID:	1710593  
Old 01-09-2012, 03:51 PM
Zorba1

No Leroy the kit didn't come with an air cylinder slide.
But I have my self an actuator from Lado electric and it has a 70mmshaft (see picture) I think I might be able to make some kind of a setup and make it work.
The graphics I got from Callie Graphics. I've been dealing with her for a few years now. Excellent job and to scale also prices are awesome.

Keep posting those photos doing a great job.

Bill

Name:	Vt56993.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	28.5 KB
ID:	1712157  
Old 01-13-2012, 08:50 PM
Leroy Gardner

Zorba1 , is that actuater a screw movement ? havent seen one of those if it is. Need about 3 1/2" to 4" travel. Bugger might just work ? if ya got room on radio for it, mines full up with 7 channels, wish it were 8/9 I could do more. "Oh well"', I'm not buying another radio. Cally graphics I hear alot about on RCU , I got mine from Cindy at www.aeroloft.com Another great person to work with. Heard about them from a guy in the UK and graphics from Aeroloft are top of the line over there.

I got the slides on the plane yesterday for canopy, as soon as I line bubble base (inside) with 1/32" ply I'll be able to mount it on plane, seperate wind screen and get back to work on cockpit interior. Wonder where the end is at times, this project just goes on and on. Bill, this is your project post and I respect that, so I kinda like your OK if I add more on your post.

Today is friday and I'm a football guy so not much happening till monday. Talk at ya later Leroy
Old 01-14-2012, 03:45 AM
Zorba1

The travel is only 2 3/4" and is a screw type. The thing I like about those actuators is that when they reach the end of the travel and find some resistance they stop.
Others you need a sequenser to do that.
My all means feel free to post here if there's a way to share tips, tricks and how too's it will be great.
Like I said before the 51 is on ice right now as I am working on multirotor systems. see here: http://www.wimac.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=3757

Today I'm going to test fly my coaxial rotor system and see how she behaves.
Have a good day.

Bill
Old 01-18-2012, 07:45 PM
Leroy Gardner

Just killing some time tonight 1/18/2012 had to move snow twice today with more on the way so I'm not getting much done on plane. I did get the base around canopy !/32" plywood and brace is mounted so should get the slide connected soon. I'll do picts. and pass it along . Just want to do this one time, so I'm really looking it over.

I try to do things right the first time if at all possible, other wise ya gust screw things up when ya do before ya think, ever do that, "ha". Leroy
Old 01-18-2012, 10:11 PM
sebo

I'm good at it....I have a thread going on Hostetler's Lancair......I pointed out my mistakes on one wing and am showing how to correct them on the other wing so that you can avoid them.
Does that make sense?
Old 01-19-2012, 08:50 PM
Leroy Gardner

Sebo, I got something for you, my well thought out see if it works paid off. Bill you have so darn much experience it's hard to believe I could show you much, more like you could sure show me a thing or two.I have learned so much in the last 5 yr's, from so many of you I can't count ya all. Always more to learn, and do if your willing.

Well the canopy started out just an idea. Sure you can buy all kinds of stuff for your planes, sliding cockpit, gear doors, cockpit kit and much more, after all it's just money and money and more money. Enough to buy another plane in my case and I like building, gives me things to do.

I mounted the canopy slides were on body and location was marked. Wind screen is held on with 6 screws and you'll notice brace is mounted in canopy. Then canopy is seperated from wind screen. "Oops, I glued the canopy slide mount in first and waited 3 hrs for it to set up, then cut canopy. Then it did just what it's suppose to do. slide straight back. The beauty of the whole thing is it cost about $26.00 not $126.00. It slides very smooth. Just some minor things to do to finish it up. Really isn't that hard to do so figure if you guys are building scale and semi-scale kits and RTC & ARF's you allready have the skills to do this kind of work. Like I said , I've learned alot on RCU. Leroy

Name:	If10537.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	85.4 KB
ID:	1716411   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ez82042.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	114.2 KB
ID:	1716412   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rw58115.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	100.0 KB
ID:	1716413   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hb79832.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	63.4 KB
ID:	1716414   Click image for larger version

Name:	Al71735.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	70.9 KB
ID:	1716415  
Old 01-20-2012, 04:03 PM
sebo

That is sooo cool............I'm saving this to my favorites. Thanks a million.........Ron