Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Airplanes, Airplanes, Airplanes!!!

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.
View Poll Results: A poll
Yes. I have no problem leaving it ll behind.
12.64%
Yes. I would be heartbroken though.
22.99%
Absolutely NOT!
58.62%
Other- please explain...
5.75%
Voters: 87. You may not vote on this poll

Airplanes, Airplanes, Airplanes!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2011, 06:56 PM
EscapeFlyer
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Airplanes, Airplanes, Airplanes!!!

Could you walk away from the hobby?

I simply cannot stop building until I have these particular airplanes in my hanger (I am glad for a patient loving wife!):

1. Joe Bridi Super Kaos (almost completed)
2. Carl Goldberg Extra 300 (Gathering parts to put a kit together to build)
3. J-Bipe; Firemaster variant (I have the plans only from Eureka)
4. 60 size Ultimate 10-300 (I have the Floyd Manly plans from MAN)
5. TF P-51B (Have the kit)
6. Pica Waco (Have most of the kit)
7. Joe Bridi UFO (Have RCM Plans)
8. Joe Bridi Escape (Have RCM Plans)
9. Joe Bridi Great Escape (Have original Plans and instruction book)
10. TF Contender (Have the kit)
11. Joe Bridi Telemaster .40 trainer (Have plans and Instruction booklet)

How about you????

Brian
Old 07-03-2011, 08:22 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
Default RE: Airplanes, Airplanes, Airplanes!!!

I definitely couldn't walk away no matter what. Even if I couldn't fly I would still be building. I'd build for others, and if I couldn't build for others then I would build simply for static display. I've only been flying RC for about 15 years (I'm 46 now), but I stared building stick and tissue small kits when I was 8 years old. So building has been part of my life for almost 40 years now. I don't know any other way to think of getting along for me. I'll build no matter what. 

Ken
Old 07-03-2011, 08:23 PM
crash bandicoute

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you guys could leave it all behind at my house. shoot me a PM with what you got.
Old 07-03-2011, 08:49 PM
Campgems

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Brian, interesting timing on this thread. My shop/hanger is what most people in this area call their Garage. I have been on a crusade the last few weeks trying to find the floor in mine. I think it is kind of gray looking, at least it was when we bought the house some 12 years back. It is rumored that the previous owner actually parked a car in there. We moved in, along with the store fixtures from my previous hobby gone bad. Over the period of a few years, the store fixtures moved to new homes and stuff like a 10" lathe and Taig Mill along with the other machinery I had acquired over the years kept the cars out in the cold/rain, and sun. About seven years now that the RC bug bit me again. I started moving my faceting machines to make room to build a models. My Jewelers bench turned into an engine rehab site. My kiln is for heating crank cases and bearings for rebuilds, not for molding jewelry any more.. My ultra sonic cleaners that used to clean jewelery are now dedicated to cleaning engine parts..

Today, Imoved the last, almost last wing to one of the 8 wing racks I have on the walls. My next to last fuselage was hung on the ceiling. Looking around, Ihave 7 kits ready to be built and a couple new fuselage repairs to do. I have little room left to hang or store stuff. Some of the shelve units I had are being torn down toform the base for a new build table. Ibought a van just before Xmas to haul stuff to the field and It is turning into my auxiliary garage/hanger.

We have really nice cathedral ceilings in our living room and den. Well the master bed room also. Ikeep thinking how many planes I could hang up there. Maybe a couple dozen, then the wife steps in and tells me I'm dead meat if I try to hang even one up there. Some people just don't get it.

So, could I just shut down the hobby tomorrow and not look back. Sure, if the big one hits and I don't make it, or if I bring home one more monster kit and tryfind a place to store it and the wife decides that ranks right up there with hanging a plane from the living room ceiling. Yep, I could quit tomorrow. Wait, make that Tuesday, UPSwon't deliver my new kit tomorrow, it's the 4th. I've got another day.

Don

Old 07-03-2011, 09:09 PM
rye
My Feedback: (10)

JUST WHEN I THOUGHT I WAS OUT THEY PULL ME BACK IN !!!!!
Old 07-04-2011, 04:31 AM
soarrich
My Feedback: (98)

I left the hobby once for ten years and sailed. When I sailed I never gave the hobby another thought. I got back in because I like to scratch-build, I like the designing and building more than the flying, after about ten flights I'm ready for a new plane. Then I got into gas, it's cheaper to buy an ARF than to scratch-build so I went that way. I've felt something was missing so now I'm unloading my ARFs and am going to go back to scratch-building.
Old 07-04-2011, 07:12 AM
box car

I did my first stick plane when I was 9 years old, got my first engine when I was 11, an .049 OKClub. A Fox 35 was a dream.I am 71 now not as fast as I use to be at building but have more fun at it now, still can't build 1 plane at a time am building 3 right now. STOPnever.
Ken
Old 07-04-2011, 10:21 AM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have been into so many different things over the years and walked away it just doesn't bother me very much. It all just depends on where I am and what I'm able to do physically. I can't race or ride motor cycles any longer. When I got hurt really badly I walked away. As a trap, sheet and sporting clays shooter I was also hunting water fowl and upland birds 6 days a week for a couple of decades. I can no longer shoot a gun due to neck problems. I can't walk well enough to hunt any longer. I walked away, no problems but I do miss the marsh and hills. I can't sit in a boat very long without pain pills so fishing is out too. My main hobby today is RC Airplanes and wood working in my clubs shop. If my eyes go past the point where I can't fly any longer then RC will go the way of all my other hobbies. I built sand rails and cars for years too but I can no longer take the pounding of the sand cars and can't bend over or crawl under a car to work on one. My hobbies depend on what I can and can't do at the time. When I walk away from them I don't look back, I move onto what ever I can do that keeps me active. I won't be on a surf board any time soon either. I didn't think I could ever live more then a few blocks from the beach at one point, no problem, I just moved on. Rc isn't any different.
Old 07-04-2011, 03:57 PM
Thisstrangeengine

A couple years ago I decided to clean up my stuff and take pics in hopes to sell some of it since I have'nt been flying for a couple years. Well , all this did was re-light my desire to fly again and continue my R/C aircraft building. Plus there's too many planes I have not built yet...
Old 07-04-2011, 04:34 PM
EscapeFlyer

Currently I am not getting much stick time, but I am building my hanger. When time opens up, everyone had better stay out of my way!!!

[8D]

Brian
Old 07-06-2011, 07:56 AM
raptureboy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thou shall have no other gods before me.

Thou shall not, make for thyself any idols.

It's addicting for sure, and I've spent more time in my basement than I care to think about. My family has sometimes asked, who is that guy who lives in our basement[X(]. If we can't give it up, or it becomes the center of our universe then we have a problem. So, yes I can give it up if the time comes to, but it sure is feels good for now to create something from a pile of wood.
Old 07-06-2011, 09:40 AM
Edwin
My Feedback: (2)

I'm going through some doldrums now and havent been doing much in the shop. Mostly maintenance on the current flying fleet. Not even getting much flying in, just too busy at work. I expect in a couple of months or so I'll get my wind back and jump back on the 4 kits on the building boards, 3 repairs, and start on two recovering jobs. This is all in a 3 car garage and a 16'x20' affordable portable barn with a loft and all my crash or damaged carcusses in there. I get my flying time in by training others every weekend, weather permitting, so I keep my thumbs in practice. If I dont schedule it and work around that schedule it would be hard to get to the field. Just 4 and 1/2 years to retirement.
Edwin

Oh, and I could never quit. This hobby is cheaper than motorcycles and target shooting (excluding turbins). Been flying rc for 20 years and started building and flying control line around 1967. I'd be happy just spectating. A lot of the old timers in the club are like that. Cant fly anymore but enjoy the comeraderie.
Edwin
Old 07-07-2011, 04:46 AM
skylark-flier

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Voted "Other". Yeah, I could easily leave the hobby - as soon as my ol' bod is very cold, very dead, very buried. BUT NOT BEFORE THAT!!!!!

Dave
Old 07-08-2011, 03:20 AM
biam

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Grey Beard laid it out very well. I agree that it all depends on what your body allows also, having the ability to get your mind right and be happy withwhat ever life deals you is a gift
Old 07-08-2011, 07:16 AM
ARUP

Plain and simple- nope!
Old 07-09-2011, 05:13 AM
Thisstrangeengine

I think I have glow fuel running through my veins... I love the smell of burning nitro in the morning.
Old 07-09-2011, 10:20 AM
EscapeFlyer

ORIGINAL: Thisstrangeengine

I think I have glow fuel running through my veins... I love the smell of burning nitro in the morning.

Definitely!

I had my daughter on the buddy-box yesterday. I also love the whirring sound of the air as the wing slices through it... Good times.

Brian
Old 07-10-2011, 06:20 PM
TestPilot-101
My Feedback: (4)

I've been at this hobby since I was 5 years old (1964). I've built and flown several hundred models, as long as there are nitro engines available or until I kick the bucket I'll be flying. If or when electrics take over I'm done. I just refuse to power my models with something who's closest relative is an electric screw driver. [:'(]
Old 07-11-2011, 04:27 PM
357ross

Building larger r/c aircraft seems to do something for me that not much else will. I started out many years ago with 1/2A freeflight planes that I scratch built from plans. I have left the hobby from time to time because of the realities of family life, but always came back. Even if I couldn't fly anymore, I would continue to build, especially scratch build. (It is a sickness, you see...) There is something about it that stimulates the creative part of my mind. Just my .02 cents worth...
Old 07-11-2011, 04:33 PM
357ross

Edited to add... I agree with Testpilot, just gotta have burning fuel beating on a piston. Just me, but eletric power leaves me flat... sort of like an electric 'Smart car'.
Old 07-11-2011, 04:34 PM
foodstick

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I have walked away from USING the stuff for years at a time, But I think since seeing the movie FLYING TIGERS as a kid I could NEVER lose the love of model airplanes... Its in the blood..

Sometimes I feel bad about not flying what I have built, and I really never wear anything out because of it... But somehow the models are like kids, or family..hard to imagine getting rid of them...

I do occasionally get mad at one I always think of Bill Cosby's comedy routine about his children ..

I quote "I brought you into this world..and I can take you out !" hahahahahahah