Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Top Flite Spitfire MkIX Build

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Top Flite Spitfire MkIX Build

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2011, 02:43 PM
Cprl_lilhorn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Top Flite Spitfire MkIX Build

Hello enthusiasts!

This is my first build post, although it is my fourth plane build. I'd like to start by saying, "WOW!" this kit is intense. I've enjoyed it though, and look forward to finishing the plane. I plan to add Robart retracts, flaps, and an RCV 90SP engine with an impressive 4-blade prop when things are all said and done. So far, I have built: stab/elevator assembly; fin and rudder; and the left wing panel. In the following posts I'll link pictures and describe my experiences throughout the build. If anyone has constructive criticism or comments, as well as recommendations for future stages of the build, please reply to this post!! I'd love to hear from modelers with more experience.

In addition to the aforementioned plans for this plane, I intend to use Fabrikote and airbrush camouflage and panel markings at some point. This will not likely happen any time soon as I only have a few hours a week to dedicate to building the Spit.

Well, that's it for an introduction. Now for the goods!
Mario
Old 07-13-2011, 03:52 PM
Cprl_lilhorn

Default RE: Top Flite Spitfire MkIX Build

To begin the build, Top Flite has you build the tail surfaces. This portion of the build was pretty straight-forward, with a few hangups that I'll outline below.

The Stabilizer: Be careful when you're separating the balsa pieces from the stabilizer ribs to accommodate the stab core because the thin balsa can split easily! Also, it pays to dampen your stabilizer skins while you're gluing them. Be sure to use a very narrow, long glue tip on your CA bottle also. Other than these minor warnings, the stabilizer was pretty simple as long as you pay attention and take your time, especially when gluing your skins.

The Elevators: Here is where the fun comes in. I really enjoy this kit because of the extensive craftsmanship required to complete it. For instance, the elevator tip, root blocks, and stabilizer tips are all blocks of wood that demand hours of shaping to achieve perfection. Some might see this as a draw back, but in my opinion this type of kit really needs this uniqueness. If you want a war bird that doesn't require 100+ hours to build, by an RTF or ARF!

Joining the Surfaces: CA hinges!!! Ugh.. well, they do work. But, they're a pain in the @$$. I have the brand-name CA hinge slotting kit. Even so, this is a five cigarette, clench your jaw, throw a couple tools step. Otherwise, I enjoyed joining the surfaces because it allowed me to blend the stabilizer woodwork with the elevator woodwork.

Some Tips:

On Skinning - I found slivers of leftover balsa to be EXTREMELY useful when skinning the stabilizer. Basically, I used them instead of microballoons or other fillers to eliminate tiny gaps that inevitably occur when you're sheeting. Simply take a balsa sliver created earlier from trimming various bits and pieces (or cut some slivers from excess balsa sheeting) and wedge them in the gaps as necessary. A drop or two of thin CA, and some gentle sanding... viola!! A beautiful, gap-free tail surface!

On Creating a V in the Elevators - For heaven's sake, buy a multipurpose sanding bar (includes shapes for the V, leading edges, and a 'rounding' shape). This made life so easy here! But, be sure and mark the centerline of your elevators before beginning your sanding work, or else you might end up with a lop-sided V!!

On Cutting Hinge Slots - Don't use too much glue when joining your leading/trailing edges of the elevator and stabilizer, respectively! If you do, like I probably did, cutting hinge slots through CA-soaked balsa sure is a P.I.T.A.

All in all, these steps (albeit briefly summarized here) took me about 20 hours, I think. I don't really pay attention to the hours, but it took a good while to get to a spot that I feel comfortable with. I'm extremely happy with my work, but please let me know if you have any recommendations or tips for future builds! Comments/questions welcome and encouraged!

Images Incoming!!!
Old 07-13-2011, 04:04 PM
Cprl_lilhorn

Here are some images. Let me know what you think!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge96679.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	79.3 KB
ID:	1634890  
Old 07-13-2011, 04:06 PM
Cprl_lilhorn

Stabilizer 2:

Name:	Zw69266.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	66.0 KB
ID:	1634891  
Old 07-13-2011, 04:08 PM
Cprl_lilhorn

Stabilizer 3:

Name:	Ge94491.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	86.8 KB
ID:	1634892  
Old 07-13-2011, 04:28 PM
Cprl_lilhorn

Next, Top Flite has the modeler build the fin and rudder. These were fun steps for me, although I wish the rudder tip block was a bit less of a block. I must have spent a solid hour just sanding that piece.

The Fin: The fin construction is fairly simple. However, it takes a bit of sanding of the ribs, leading edge core, and trailing edge to make the parts fit perfectly. Again I used a balsa shim or two after sheeting the fit to eliminate any gaps. Be careful when removing the jig tabs from the fin ribs!! The construction of these tabs has been one of my biggest pet peeves since beginning this kit. But, I'm not sure how else Top Flite could manufacture these tabs. Currently, they have large portions of balsa that is not die-cut, requiring you to either: tempt fate and 'break' the tabs off, or meticulously use a hobby knife to complete the die-cut lines. Not a big fan! Sure is better than making my OWN rib jigs, though! One thing that is of note regarding the fin of the Spitfire is the leading edge shape. It is not a straight diagonal line. Look carefully at the plan and at the real plane and you can see there is a bit of a bulge at the top end of the fin, blending in to the rudder tip. For some reason, the fin leading edge core did not match properly to the leading edges on this bulge, so it was necessary to add some of my infamous balsa shims and glue them in place, then sand them to match.

The Rudder: The rudder has required the most meticulous and time-consuming sanding so far (although I'm sure the wing tips will be more time-consuming). But this is something I enjoy. If you don't like sanding, don't buy this kit. Additionally, Top Flite did not provide die-cut rudder ribs. Instead, you have to craft your own from balsa stock. This seems straight-forward, and is with many kits. BUT, the Spitfire has a very unique, elliptical rudder profile. This means you can't simply use a large bar sander and grind away at the rudder ribs until they are have the typical V profile. What I did was began with a V shape that had some extra meat left on the trailing edge of the rudder. Then, I used my bar sander and a keen eye (and lots of patience) to create the elliptical rudder profile so it would blend beautifully to the rudder tip and root blocks that I meticulously shaped. Again, Top Flite supplies CA-type hinges for this aircraft. This is a love-hate relationship for me. I hate installing them and cutting hinge slots, but I love the performance of these type hinges! Woe is me.

The Rudder Tip: The only reason this is getting it's own description is to emphasize how helpful the Pro Tip that Top Flite lists in the manual regarding the use of a T-Pin to temporarily secure the Rudder Tip Block to the Fin to match the profile of the Tip Block to that of the already-shaped fin. Without this tip, or some similar matching method, your rudder tip will not match the fin profile.

I'm attaching a picture, and more will come shortly. Sorry for multiple posts, they don't all fit on one!

Name:	Qo40916.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	142.2 KB
ID:	1634898   Click image for larger version

Name:	Je10412.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	240.2 KB
ID:	1634899  
Old 07-13-2011, 04:29 PM
Cprl_lilhorn

Another image of the fin/rudder assembly.

Name:	Gd93671.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	75.5 KB
ID:	1634900  
Old 07-13-2011, 04:58 PM
saramos

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you are going to mount the 90SP in this, I would suggest cutting new versions of the parts that make up the engine mount box to extend it so when the SP is mounted, it is at the proper distance. I don't recall the exact amount I had to extend the box, but it was in the neighborhood of 1". If I were to do it again, I might be tempted to remove some of the right thrust and downthrust. It may make the plane tend to the left during takeoffs, so if you do change it, keep that in mind.
A bit late now, but one think I did was to hollow out the blocks that make the tips and bottom of the rudder and vert. stab. Try and keep the weight as light as possible. At the end, I only needed a 1 oz prop nut weight to balance, but I did pack the cowl with lots of stuff - 2 batteries, a ducted fan, and ecs and a copper elbow as an exhaust extention.

Scott
Old 07-13-2011, 05:33 PM
Cprl_lilhorn

Scott,

Thanks for your tips!! I think I could still hollow the rudder tip a little and may do that. How long ago did you purchase your kit? I've noticed a lot of extra balsa has been removed from die-cut parts when compared to the pictures in the manual. Hopefully that will keep it under the 10-11lbs mark I've seen these kits reach.

I'll keep in mind the engine mount changes. I don't know for sure I'll use the RCV, but I do plan on it so far.

Thanks again,
Mario
Old 07-13-2011, 05:42 PM
saramos

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I started mine about 6 years ago. Still have had only one short aborted flight which ended with broken gear rails. It does look like they've improved the lightening holes. I added extras to mine as well. Thinking about it, I think I may have even trimmed a bit of balsa from the inside of the ribs, but just a little bit. It was my first build, and I ended up with a little (read way big) twist in the rudder. Also, there was an issue raised not too long ago about a descrepancy between the written instructions and the photos when mounting the Horizontal Stab. They don't match, and if you follow the wrong one, you end up with an incorrect incidence for the Horizontal Stab. Keep a close eye out for that.

Scott
Old 07-13-2011, 06:17 PM
Cprl_lilhorn

Scott,

That's a bummer about the gear rails! At least it wasn't a broken wing or something more devastating. I plan to fly another of my planes for quite a long while longer (another low-wing), until I feel proficient enough at flying to take out the Spitfire. I don't anticipate the Spit being done until next year, in any case. I'll definitely keep an eye out for the stab mounting procedures! Do you have a link to some other discussion(s) about this problem? I'll Google it as well, so I can get a better understanding of which (the written directions or the plan) is correct.

Thanks,
Mario
Old 07-13-2011, 06:34 PM
prgonzalez

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mario,

Congratulations!!! You are creating a very well documented thread on the TF SF. I enjoy following threads like this because there is something new I learn from them. I am building another SF and I piggy back to an old existing thread in the warbirds forum [link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_1403165/mpage_21/key_/tm.htm]Spitfire Thread[/link]. While I document my builds with hundreds of fotos, I am lazy on the writting.

There are two other pilots also building this plane at this time, Cristian and Roger. They also post in the thread above plus [link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_5863160/mpage_1/key_/tm.htm]Cristian's Thread[/link].

Keep the good work!!!

Pedro
Old 07-13-2011, 08:44 PM
Cprl_lilhorn

Pedro,

Thanks for the words of encouragement! I'll definitely pop a link and say hello on those threads! Always nice to hear folks are building the Spitfire, such a gorgeous plane! It's late now, but I've made myself a note to check out your thread and Cristian and Roger's as well. Thanks again! Keep your eyes peeled, I've got some more photos to post from the wing panel I'm working on now.

Mario
Old 07-14-2011, 04:46 AM
LargeScale88

Your build is looking great so far. Thanks for explaining every part of the build, it really helps future spitfire builders.

Good Luck on the rest of the airplane!

Jason
Old 07-14-2011, 10:49 AM
Cprl_lilhorn

Hello All!

I've now moved my posting to the following thread: [link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_1403165/mpage_21/key_/tm.htm]Spitfire Build Thread[/link]

I believe my posting begins around Page 29. I haven't yet read the entire 29 pages, but I'm working on it. The group of guys posting on that thread seem to really know the Spitfire and many are building one, so I think this will be a great resource for all current and future TF Spitfire builders.

Talk to you all there!
Mario