Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Top Flite Giant P-47 Build

Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Top Flite Giant P-47 Build

Old 09-18-2012, 08:10 PM
d-dog

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Top Flite Giant P-47 Build

You pay for things like this by saving your lunch money and passing on the snacks and Starbucks. With the money you save, you can afford the glue, the balsa wood, and the paint you live for. Not only that, you'll live a longer and healthier life so you can continue to build and fly airplanes into your dotage. Don't even entertain the thought that I'm joking, Gary. I really love your airplane. Can't wait to see it up and flying.
Old 09-19-2012, 06:55 AM
redbiscuits
My Feedback: (6)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks Daryl, I know you're not joking. That's why I told my wife this morning that we can no longer afford the luxuries in life (Starbucks, buffet restaurants, unnecessary trips to Dollar General Store, etc, etc...)

This plane must fly with FS numbers matching, period correct, Klass Kote paint

(insert her response here) LOL!

Fabio, I'm going to cut it out as soon as I get ready to do the panel lines on it. It seems to give the cowl a bit of rigidity as I fumble around with it. I've already dropped it on the shop floor once!
Old 09-19-2012, 08:17 AM
Zor
Banned

fabio,

I am glad you feel fine with the results and the +1 deg incidence.

Roger ... over and out.

Zor
Old 09-19-2012, 09:59 AM
JurassicJet
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: Zor

fabio,

Roger ... over and out.

Zor
No self-respecting aviator would say that It is either "Over" or "Out". Over and out means you want a response but you are signing off. Just sayin'

Old 09-19-2012, 12:39 PM
Zor
Banned

ORIGINAL: JurassicJet

ORIGINAL: Zor

fabio,

Roger ... over and out.

Zor

No self-respecting aviator would say that It is either "Over" or "Out". Over and out means you want a response but you are signing off. Just sayin'

Over and out ___means you are giving the other station the courtesy of a final transmission and let him/her close the communication.

Thanks for the comment No self-respecting aviator would say that.

You areshowing your experience.

" OU T "

Zor
Old 09-19-2012, 01:40 PM
flyme2moon
My Feedback: (1)

how about " Elvis has left the building" or my least favorite " Roger,Wilco over and out, goodbye"
Old 09-19-2012, 04:31 PM
SitNFly
My Feedback: (54)

Roger roger, just don't call me Shirley.
Old 09-19-2012, 04:58 PM
JurassicJet

28 years of flying and over 9000 hours. 14 years as a Captain for a major Fractional provider.

Never have I used or heard a professional pilot use that phrase on the radio. Note I said Professional.
Old 09-20-2012, 03:32 AM
redbiscuits

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fVq4_HhBK8Y[/youtube]

Old 09-20-2012, 04:33 AM
Zor
Banned

redbiscuits,

An interesting video clip quite obviously as unreal as some other claims in recent postings.

I enjoyed watching many times the way this captain apply take off power; a real professional for sure .

Many "over" but none were the last one from the captain in which the crew indicate with "out" as being their last transmission while giving air traffic control the courtesy of making their last transmission and closing the communication.

I suppose it is like any education (training) and depends where the training took place.

Over and out is commonly used around here as a courtesy to air traffic control and in eastern United States where most of my flying was.

I cannot talk for western USA.

Over and out ___which indicates I will gladly read your next posting but I do not intend to return unless you request it in your last posting on this subject.

Have a great day.

Zor
Old 09-20-2012, 05:04 AM
Flyitorcrashtrying

"Over" and "Out" are actually formal terms used in HAMand Short Wave radio. HAMoperators sign in using their call numbers. Saying "Over" when you are done with your segment of the conversation, letting the other party know that your done. If there is any garbled transmission you would know and be able to get the party to repeat. "Out" meaning that you are signing off. If the signal is clear, then operators usually just converse normally till they sign out. "Roger" is another way of saying yes, or affirmative. My father was a HAM radio operator and talked to many people all over the world. I used to listen to him all the time.
Old 09-20-2012, 06:03 AM
JurassicJet

Never said "over" and "out" were not formal terms. They are just never used together in the a professional aviation environement.
I also operate on the East coast extensively (KHPN,KTEB,KJFK,KLGA etc.) and "over and out" is NOTused. Again...I am talking about a professional environment. Yes, the occassional Bonanza or Twin Commanche pilot may use it. We (as a crew) usually look at each other and smile when someone uses that. Ok Barney Fife. I also hear the occasional "10-4".
Old 09-21-2012, 11:02 AM
Zor
Banned

I do not know what the heck is going on with RCU but i am unable to edit my post or post under the "normal" reply.

Huge white area with part of the posts cut off and no "submit" button. I am trying this "fast reply" to see if this works...
I have had and still have some of these problems.

RCU is often very slow to come on or respond.

I have very often heard what you claim you did not.

Particularly switching from tower to departure.

Usually replied by the tower with "have a nice flight" or "have a good day".

You seem to think that I am an occasional flier.

I spent 14 years of my life flyng a turbo-prop Aero Grand Commander for a corporation taking VIPs of the company and of their customers all around eastern America.

over 7,000 hours is a fair experience.

I do not see any purpose to pursue this subject further.

Have a great day.

Zor
Old 09-21-2012, 11:52 AM
Doomking
My Feedback: (38)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thx ..... Finally let's go back to building.....
Old 09-21-2012, 03:25 PM
Ram360
My Feedback: (4)

Fabio your P47 is looking good. I fly at the Cleveland club, I did the noon time demo at the warbird fun fly.  I am working on my P47 to.  Are you doing the razorback?  I'll post some pics later.
Old 09-21-2012, 05:52 PM
Ram360

Here is a pic of my fuse.  This is my first kit build.  I added a hatch on each side to hide switches, fuel, and air fill.  I plan on doing in "the Bug" scheme.
Old 09-21-2012, 06:15 PM
Doomking

Excellent...
I am excited that you have started the same project I did little earlier.
You are making good progress as well. I am also doing the razorback version.
I will try to paint it similar to my red tail p-51 mostly in metallic color so that rivets and lines will really pop in the sun.

Maybe we can maiden both at the same time this coming spring,at list I am shooting for it.
Are you glassing your plane as well?

How did you make your hatch doors? out of balsa or did you lay up some glass?
It is a good idea to get to it right now so that you can glue the hinges from the inside without obstruction.

I really enjoyed your noon's demo. You sure brought your plane down to the deck!!
You have very good flying skills.
I wish I had some of those skills when I got in trouble with my p-51.

Anyway I will look forward to see your progress and to keep in touch maybe even by phone.
PM me your number if you wish and I will exchange with you mine.

Take care

Fabio

Old 09-21-2012, 06:20 PM
Ram360

I was thinking about trying liquid sheeting, but I am leaning towards glassing it. I picked up Sierra gear for it and already had a dle 55 sitting around. The doors are balsa I glued a rib in from the back so it would keep the shape of the fuse when I cut it out. I plan on having it ready for finishing by the first of the year.
Old 09-21-2012, 07:50 PM
EJWash1

Never said "over" and "out" were not formal terms. They are just never used together in the a professional aviation environement.
I also operate on the East coast extensively (KHPN,KTEB,KJFK,KLGA etc.) and "over and out" is NOTused. Again...I am talking about a professional environment.
I fully agree with you. As a matter of fact, I've NEVER heard "over" or "out" on an aviation frequency in my ("limited") flying experience in the Pacific, Central America, Caribbean, or anywhere in the USA - either civilian or military. Never. I've been logging flight hours since 1976.

This is a model aviation forum. This thread is about the building of the Top Flite P-47. I'm enjoying Redbiscuit's build and have learned a trick or two. I appreciate his sharing his build. That's what this is all about.

I respect your professional flight experience JurassicJet, and the airports you list are testimony to that.I have NO respect for the jackwagon you're debating here. Trust me, you won't win. Its like trying to nail Jello to a tree. This parasite "knows all" through belittling others. Nothing gets through. Look at his reaction to the (movie) clip Airplane that was posted. No (grasp of a) sense of humor, or reality, whatsoever. No pick-up on the cliches that an EXPERIENCED AIRMAN would.None. So, can we please return this thread to the P-47 and leave the chest-thumping (not you) to the insecure wannabe that has SO LITTLEexperience nor expertise at either building this model (or many - as so boasted) or piloting a full-size aircraft? Thank you, sir.
Old 09-21-2012, 08:40 PM
JurassicJet

Thanks for the support EJwash1. I appreciate it.

Ram360........ isn't liquid sheeting usually used for smaller aircraft? I am just asking because I don't know. I would think some 3/4oz glass cloth with resin would be the way to go. A little trick I heard of is to use hairspray to "seal" the wood before you put the glass and resin down. This prevents excess weight build-up due to the resin soaking into the wood.

Old 09-22-2012, 06:48 AM
Zor
Banned

redbiscuits,

Just to mention that I have enjoyed your video clip posting in your post #434.

I do not recall ever having seen a captain with all white hair.
Nor a co-pilot with a long beard.
Nor a crew member with two stripes on their sleeve ina cockpit duty.
Nor a captain shoving on the take off throttle in a quick jerky motion.

I also wonder about the camera location taking that video.

It reminds me of the many videos posted that show absolutely unreal situations.

I noted that there is no indication of the source of this clip.

Where did you pick this up ?

Zor

Editing
I see that some other video clips available on that site are showing the same crew in unrealisic situations.
I assume that you posted this video link as a joke and certainly not to prove anything.

It may however have influenced some readers unfamiliar with the full size flying environment.

End

Old 09-22-2012, 06:51 AM
Ram360

Thanks for the support EJwash1. I appreciate it.

Ram360........ isn't liquid sheeting usually used for smaller aircraft? I am just asking because I don't know. I would think some 3/4oz glass cloth with resin would be the way to go. A little trick I heard of is to use hairspray to "seal" the wood before you put the glass and resin down. This prevents excess weight build-up due to the resin soaking into the wood.

I never used it, but don't see any reason why it couldn't be used. But at this point it's going to get glassed

Old 09-22-2012, 07:19 AM
redbiscuits

Zor,

I believe your answer can be found here: http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_11236823/tm.htm Just give it some time to build up steam.
Anyone wishing to carry on debates with you are encouraged to do it in this brand new thread that I have created for you. I'm sure you will have a ball with it, Your Welcome.

As for any questions regarding building a Top Flite Giant P-47 I will try and do my best to answer them here.
Tip, please be serious and have a build manual or PDF of the manual you can refer to before asking. Trust me, it helps in trying to explain things.

Now, I am quite certain that this subject is closed. Affirmative? And by leaving a question mark at the end of Affirmative, I don't require a response from you!!!
Old 09-22-2012, 11:09 AM
Doomking

+1
Old 09-22-2012, 11:43 AM
yates55

+2

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.