Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Top Flite Giant P-47 Build

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Top Flite Giant P-47 Build

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2012, 07:10 PM
RWHorton

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Top Flite Giant P-47 Build

I know, everytime I buy something for this plane it's a hundred buck at minimum. I need a new radio was dreading spending $1,200.00 on a 12 channel, till Futaba came out with the 8 channel super. So I saved $700.00 their. This radio will go 14channel with the s-bus.

Ron
Old 10-31-2012, 06:02 AM
Mustangman40
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: Edwin

My wife makes stuffed japs by slicing gutting and laying a bunch of cheeses inside. Then baking them over the grill. Mmmmmmm!
Edwin
Those sound good.... I grow a lot of different peepers in the garden, nothing better then a Vodka and Orange juice in my hand wile working the grill.
My wife's favorite thing to make for dinner is "Reservations", she still thinks the smoke alarm is a built in timer telling her that hercreation is ready....
Old 10-31-2012, 08:18 AM
Edwin
My Feedback: (2)

HA! Good one Mustangman.

Just out of curiosity - does your handle mean you're a mustang man? My has a 68 mustang convertable as a hobby car.
Edwin
Old 10-31-2012, 09:58 AM
Mustangman40

HA! Good one Mustangman.

Just out of curiosity - does your handle mean you're a mustang man? My has a 68 mustang convertable as a hobby car.
Edwin

Yes Edwin, I'm a Mustang man, but is in P-51 Mustang.. The car is great like them as well, but the P-51 has always been my favorite WWII warbird..........
Old 10-31-2012, 10:20 AM
Mustangman40

Guys, need some help on this one.. Like to here what others experienced on sheeting the bottom with the Jigs that come with the kit...

The manual is pretty relaxed about this step and says noting about washout being introduced into the wing.. I did find that it does have washout built into the wing, way back in the opening statement of the planes manual....

It states that the center jigs attach to the dowels, did that. The center aft jig goes under the Light ply braces behind the hold down plate, got that set..

Pics 1-2

It says to put the tip jigs under rib 12 and that's where it has me thinking, it takes a bunch of weight and I mean a lot to get the tips to sit in the jigs..

Pic 3-4

It then says the middle jigs go close to rib 7, mine aren't. They are close to rib "8"

This whole step on sheeting the bottom has me scratching my head.. Both panels where built flat and straight, The wing joined together great.. I supported the wing on some weight bags (pic 5) while the epoxy cured, so that no pressure was put on the center while it dried.. I checked the dihedral this morning and it is right at the 6 7/8" that they call for....

It has me wondering if this is how they plan to get the washout into the wing and if the bottom sheeting is going to hold it.. If it's right I am also wondering how I will keep the wing down while the glue dries, I have weight bags but I can tell you, not enough for this step.... Thoughts please, how did yours go???
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn37733.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	68.1 KB
ID:	1816469   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cx74382.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	40.7 KB
ID:	1816470   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf98989.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	70.6 KB
ID:	1816471   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cx75148.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	55.8 KB
ID:	1816472   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr49911.jpg
Size:	115.4 KB
ID:	1816473  
Old 10-31-2012, 10:46 AM
redbiscuits
My Feedback: (6)

My jigs didn't fit that great either. I remember the center jig being off by about as much as what you are describing Jimbo, somewhere between the 7-8 ribs. The way I understand it is the washout should already be there. I'm thinking the washout starts at rib 11 and continues to the shaped wing tip. I could be wrong, but that's the way it looked to me.
I just supported the wing as best I could with the supplied jigs moving them around a bit to get close to what the instruction said and went with it.

I'm planning to set a degree or two of up aileron on both ailerons to make sure I have enough washout on the maiden. I'll check the stall and go from there on later fights.
Old 10-31-2012, 11:05 AM
redbiscuits

Here is a good little article explaining washout written by David Anderson.
http://www.mnbigbirds.com/images/PDF...%204_21_12.pdf
Old 10-31-2012, 11:31 AM
Mustangman40

Thanks Gary, that's a good read..

I think your right, the washout was built into the wing when it was built, that's why they had you keep all the tabs to the surface and block up the main spare, if my memory is right... Now it has me thinking that if I get the tips down in the jigs, it will be taking out the washout that I built into it.. I am going to put my incidence meeter on it and see what it's at now. I will let you guys know what i find out, I'm trying to get this bird to hit speeds of 150mph, so iwant to make sure it'sright... I think i found the right motor to do it, keep you posted on it...

Fabio,
Looks like we are on the same steps on the wing. I got some things I am going to do to beef up the dowel area, it looks kind of weak to me, a fewthings will make a world of difference...I will post pics of the changes in case you want to change yours..
Old 10-31-2012, 11:45 AM
Mustangman40

Hey Gary,
your on top on the front page and it's not a fighting arf thread, pretty hard thing to do on RCU....lol
Old 10-31-2012, 12:04 PM
redbiscuits

You should create a thread over in RC Jets saying how the Habu 2 is too expensive and that the Hobby King Viper looks like a better bargain, that will get them stirred up.
Old 10-31-2012, 12:15 PM
Edwin
My Feedback: (2)

Sounds like sticking your face a foot away from a hornets nest and pumping beebee's in it.
Edwin
Old 10-31-2012, 12:50 PM
Mustangman40

ORIGINAL: redbiscuits

You should create a thread over in RC Jets saying how the Habu 2 is too expensive and that the Hobby King Viper looks like a better bargain, that will get them stirred up.
OMG, to funny..

It's your idea, i wouldn't feel right using it.. I double dog dare you, them guys are just plain crazy with that crap....
Old 10-31-2012, 12:55 PM
Mustangman40

Sounds like sticking your face a foot away from a hornets nest and pumping beebee's in it.
Edwin

I remember me and a buddy throwing stuff at a big hornets nest till we hit it, they were just buzzing around the nest.. I touched the back of my buddies neck with a twig and holly crap batman, I can still see him running down the street smacking his neck screaming like a school girl.. Dang it was funny...........
Old 10-31-2012, 01:04 PM
Mustangman40

Well the jigs are driving me nuts, bout ready to turn them into sawdust!!!!!!!!

In this pic you can see the washout in the tips and that's good enough for me.. I tried getting the wing to sit on the tip jigs and unless I soak the whole wing down and turn it to jelly, it ain't happening.. I think I will take out the center jigs and then put thewing tips in thejigs. This will keep the washout that's built into it nice and even.. It really seems like the center jigs are to tall for what ever reason...

Fabio,
have fun with the jigs, I plan on dancing a jig on the jigs when I'm done with the jigs..........

Jimbo

Name:	Qn38426.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	74.9 KB
ID:	1816506  
Old 10-31-2012, 02:37 PM
redbiscuits

If you shim up the tip jigs with some scrap sheeting that should at least get it in the cradle and keep you from gluing in a twist wouldn't it?

*edit*
These are the only pics I could find when I was at this stage. Looks like I ditched the tip jigs too.

Name:	Bz78116.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	148.2 KB
ID:	1816526   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dy80209.jpg
Size:	150.4 KB
ID:	1816527  
Old 10-31-2012, 04:16 PM
Doomking
My Feedback: (38)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have to agree with Gary at this point.
Set up the jigs as close as possible to the instruction.
The idea is to give you a stable base to sheet the bottom of the wing.
The washout is already built in the spar from 10 to 12 and the jig does not compensate for that.
I will move mine around just to find a stable base.

I dry fitted the wings today
6 7/8 at rib 12.
However where the wing join together on the top side I have a gap of about 3/16 right in the middle of the wing around 8" long.Bottom is nice and tight.
I build it by plan and I careful with aligning everything particularly ribs 1. Wonder what happened.
I will have to mix some microballons after the wing dry and stuff it into the gap.
I think the spars and mounting plate are providing the strength, not the balsa.

I will post some pics tomorrow after the gluing extravaganza.

Fabio
Old 10-31-2012, 06:34 PM
Mustangman40

I figured out the problem with the jigs, my camera batteries went dead but i will post some pic when i can.. If you look in the picture in the manual where it has you put the jigs together, look how much smaller the aft jig looks compared to the one that goes on the dowels.. My aft jig is not much smaller then the front jig.. I took the aft jig out and she laid right down in all the others, go figure.. I will haveto find the aft jig to take pics, it's some where in my shop after I flung it.. I agree, the jigs are just to support the wing while you sheet it.

Got the bottom sheeted tonight from the main spare aft, will leave the forward sheeting off till I get the gear installed.. Work is gonna get in the way for the next couple days, then I can do the flaps and ail.

Jimbo
Old 10-31-2012, 06:49 PM
RWHorton

ORIGINAL: Mustangman40

Well the jigs are driving me nuts, bout ready to turn them into sawdust!!!!!!!![img][/img]

In this pic you can see the washout in the tips and that's good enough for me.. I tried getting the wing to sit on the tip jigs and unless I soak the whole wing down and turn it to jelly, it ain't happening.. I think I will take out the center jigs and then put the wing tips in the jigs. This will keep the washout that's built into it nice and even.. It really seems like the center jigs are to tall for what ever reason...[img][/img]

Fabio,
have fun with the jigs, I plan on dancing a jig on the jigs when I'm done with the jigs..........[img][/img]

Jimbo
Just make sure both wing panels have the same amount of washout. If I remember right Mine didn't fit the cradles just right, but they were close enough to jig them into plsace.

Ron
Old 11-01-2012, 03:16 AM
redbiscuits

ORIGINAL: Mustangman40
I will have to find the aft jig to take pics, it's some where in my shop after I flung it..
Didn't you read my signature line?

My prop should be here tomorrow, I'm going to get the ignition and the battery mounted and get this baby fired up. Looking forward to hearing how the motor sounds.
Old 11-01-2012, 08:02 AM
redbiscuits

What are some of the Warbird events ya'll thinking about attending next summer? I would love to go to Warbirds Over Texas in June and possibly a few out of state. I hear Oklahoma has a few good ones too.
Old 11-01-2012, 09:38 AM
RWHorton

ORIGINAL: redbiscuits

What are some of the Warbird events ya'll thinking about attending next summer? I would love to go to Warbirds Over Texas in June and possibly a few out of state. I hear Oklahoma has a few good ones too.
I can let you know next wednesday if I can afford to travel. I either get good news or bad news.

Ron
Old 11-01-2012, 09:39 AM
RWHorton

I use to travel quit a bit. I went to WarBirds over the Rockies in 09, great time, lots of planes to watch.

Ron
Old 11-01-2012, 09:55 AM
redbiscuits

Hoping for the good news for you Ron.
Old 11-02-2012, 05:33 AM
Mustangman40

Hoping for good news for you Ron............

I am going to work on the flaps and ailerons today.. I plan on making the changes like i did on the tail for a more scale looking aileron. it will also take care of any flutter problems that could pop up with the speeds i will be doing... I haven't looked real close at the flaps, but I might make some changes there as well.. I do know I will change the control horn to Carbon Fiber, or at least add some to both sides just to prolong it's life...

I also decided to do something different on my other horns, not going to us ones that screw in... The plan is to drill a 1/2" or 5/8" hole all the way through the surface and glue in a hard wood dowel. Then I will drill a hole in the center of that and recess a screw from the top and fill it with epoxy.. That way noting shows from the top and I don't have to worry about the control horn breaking... Pics to follow..

Jimbo
Old 11-02-2012, 05:43 AM
redbiscuits

Jimbo, I could send you some of the G10 fiberglass sheet that I have left over. You can cut the horns out of that. I guarantee that stuff is strong enough.

Name:	Lj21828.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	120.3 KB
ID:	1816774   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gb90697.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	117.3 KB
ID:	1816775   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca81546.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	143.5 KB
ID:	1816776   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oj28608.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	126.9 KB
ID:	1816777  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.