Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 33 of 84 FirstFirst ... 2331323334354383 ... LastLast

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Top Flite Giant P-47 Build

Little-by-little, I'm getting it knocked out. I pulled a late night last night and then finished off the top of the wing this morning. All that is left is the bottom of the wing and the cowl. Will upload some pics whenever RCU acts right.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tr49223.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	36.9 KB 
ID:	1825720   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kh17368.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	23.4 KB 
ID:	1825721   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ca82994.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	74.0 KB 
ID:	1825722   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cx75979.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	38.1 KB 
ID:	1825723   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Wc77686.jpg 
Size:	31.8 KB 
ID:	1825724  

Gary-Waco Brother#171 If the build gets tough, always refrain from throwing things! ARCA, Austin Tx. www.austinrc.org

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Looking great Gary

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Caught-up with the thread. Very nice detail work in post #801.

Learning lots, thanks!
    EJWash

A man's home is his castle,
    but a hanger is his sanctuary...

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Looks great Gary, very nice... So tell us, with all of us building ours, is it giving you the push to finish.. I know your detail work has me plugging along on mine....

Question about the filler you use.. Any problems with cracking or shrinking and what was the make again? I have to run to town and get my new glasses and had to stop at a Menards and was going to pic some up.. I have to get a longer 3/16" drill bit for the flap hinges and them suckers are done........

Jimbo
    Ultra Sport Brotherhood #92

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Yep Jimbo, It's keeping me motivated.

I use the Fast and Final Lightweight Spackling from Dap under the glass. I haven't had any cracking issues at all. I use that until I get the glass on and then I switch to good ol' Bondo for the final body work. I try to use the Bondo as sparingly as possible as that stuff is heavy.
    Gary-Waco Brother#171 If the build gets tough, always refrain from throwing things! ARCA, Austin Tx. www.austinrc.org

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: redbiscuits

Yep Jimbo, It's keeping me motivated.

I use the Fast and Final Lightweight Spackling from Dap under the glass. I haven't had any cracking issues at all. I use that until I get the glass on and then I switch to good ol' Bondo for the final body work. I try to use the Bondo as sparingly as possible as that stuff is heavy.

10-4 on that. I went back in the thread and found what your using and picked some up, it feels pretty dang light and the price is a lot better then the stuff from the hobby shop...

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I'm not sure as to why you guys thought the flaps were a PITA, I thought they were much worse then that, they sucked!!!!!!! I even went and made it much worse by gluing the LE on wrong and had to glue on more wood.. I was in a hurry to glue them on before heading out with the family, a 50/50 shot at doing it right and I got them both wrong...lolWell done is done, glad they are done.. Here is a pic of what it looks like when you put them on wrong and have to remove a bunch of wood, only to glue on more on the other side... I really don't recommend doing it like I did!

Name:	Rp42882.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	100.0 KB 
ID:	1826647   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mh21187.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	120.0 KB 
ID:	1826648  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I am almost ready to start the flaps, not looking forward to it that's for sure.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I started doing a mod on the wing dowels, I didn't care for how the book shows and can see this being a weak point down the road.. I have a bunch of carbon fiber arrows and decided to beef them up.. I picked up some 3/8 poplar dowel rod from the home store and with a little sanding, got them to fit inside the tubes.. I drilled them into the stock rings but didn't go into the main spare,then Ibacked it up withsome 1/4" ply..I plan on filling the twobays with expanding foam tomorrow, that stuff really adds a lot of strength at little to no extra weight.. I will beef upthe former on the fuse where the dowels go in when i mount the wing... I'm sure the stock set up is just fine, but I had the stuff and figured I would havesome extrapeace of mind...

Jimbo

Name:	Mk25723.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	81.2 KB 
ID:	1826650   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Je99637.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	64.3 KB 
ID:	1826651   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Di98821.jpg 
Size:	90.9 KB 
ID:	1826652   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Us55191.jpg 
Size:	85.7 KB 
ID:	1826653  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Ram360

I am almost ready to start the flaps, not looking forward to it that's for sure.
    Ram,
    they really aren't that bad, just a lot of sanding to get the fit you want... I'm not real fond of the hinging, but they seam much more solid now that they are done.. I am putting a 90cc motor in mine and was thinking with this set up that they would be shaking real bad from vibration, but now I don't think it will be a problem.....

Jimbo

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

What diameter and width are the wheels you guys are going to use ? I was test fitting mine today and it looks as if the wheels are going to stick up above the sheeting near the leading edge. I would really like to use more of a scale looking wheel, but all the ones i come across are out of my price range right now. Help..........

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I'm using the Dubro 5" Large scale inflatable wheel, I don't know the width.
    Believe me, it's a tight fit, but it fits as long as it's not over inflated.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I finished up the dowel bays and filled with the spray foam.. I added some 1/4" plyto the front 1/8" stock part that the dowels go through where they have you make little balsa gussets. I also covered up the lightning holes to keep the spray foam from going into the retract bays... The foam really expands, first pic is right after, second one is five minutes later, wait till you see it when it's cured... I will let it cure for a day and then cut off the extra and sand it down to the ribs... I won't ever have to worry about the dowels letting go, my flying will break before they do...

Question.
    I looked in the manual and found nothing about glassing the center section as was wondering what your thoughts are on this... I am glassing the whole plane, but that's with 3/4oz cloth.. Has anyone glassed the center section? The wing joiner is pretty dang beefy, not sure glass would improve the strength much and it would make for some trimming on the belly pan formers....

Name:	Bz77785.jpg 
Size:	55.0 KB 
ID:	1826978   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Wr55976.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	82.8 KB 
ID:	1826979   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Gl18950.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	100.5 KB 
ID:	1826980   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pn35234.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	79.0 KB 
ID:	1826981   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bw73352.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	76.5 KB 
ID:	1826982  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kp33953.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	69.2 KB 
ID:	1826983  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

What engine you running? Mine will be a G-62 and I'm not planning on strength glassing the center section. Just a standard glass job for a paint base. I've seen a lot of these jugs running 85cc and real screamin demons. Makes the hair on the back of my next rise up as they go by, love it. I know two of the guys personally and they didnt beef it up. My spar joiner was replaced and made beefier and I figure that will be enough for my flying style.
    Edwin

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Edwin

What engine you running? Mine will be a G-62 and I'm not planning on strength glassing the center section. Just a standard glass job for a paint base. I've seen a lot of these jugs running 85cc and real screamin demons. Makes the hair on the back of my next rise up as they go by, love it. I know two of the guys personally and they didnt beef it up. My spar joiner was replaced and made beefier and I figure that will be enough for my flying style.
    Edwin
    Edwin,
    I am putting in a GP88 EVO, I have been told that it has the same power as a DA100 and very low vibration for being a single cyl. It should scoot mine real good and that's why I am beefing up a few things... With the extra motor, I will also try swinging a 4 blade............

Jimbo

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

You dont really loose anything by beefing it up at this stage. That will probably pull some stout G's. I've only folded one wing. It was on a smaller electric spitfire with a pretty big electric motor in it. It folded in a high G turn trying to loose a FW190 that was on my tail during a dog fight. He claimed the kill, but seconds later his esc smoked and in he went so I claimed a latent kill. Still argued to this day.
    Edwin

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I glassed the center section and belly pan with what I think is 6oz. The top of the wing was done more for cosmetic reasons, the belly pan was done in heavier cloth in case of a gear up situation.[X(]

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

On yeah, My belly pan has hardwood stringers and will get the same glass treatment as Gary's.
    Edwin

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I glassed the center section and belly pan with what I think is 6oz. The top of the wing was done more for cosmetic reasons, the belly pan was done in heavier cloth in case of a gear up situation.[X(]
    That's a real good idea Gary,I would rather have it and not need it, then need it and not have it...

The hardwood stringersare also a great touch and will be used on mine as well........

I have to give my LHS a call and see what the status is on my Retracts, I'm really starting to run out of things to do with out them...

I think I also need to order my servos, all 8 of them... Gonna use the Hyperions that I used in my 50cc pitts, but will upgrade the ailerons and elevators to the next ones up that they have. They are a little slower then the DS 20fmd, but you pic up another 100+ oz . Full metal gear dual BB digital totally programmable..

I am also adding a Smart-Fly Power Expander, it makes hooking up twin elv and flaps a breeze and the dual battery share is awesome.. With the pin style switch and electric retracts, I won't have to make any hidden hatches, just one up front for a fuel dot and ignition...

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Well Jimbo, You got those "Fancy Schmancy" gear that are supposed to work everytime. Hopefully you won't need it.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Well Jimbo, You got those "Fancy Schmancy" gear that are supposed to work everytime. Hopefully you won't need it.

I'm glassing the belly and might even fill the whole thing with spray foam....

The bread is rising......... The goldfish crackers are all gone, but the new chips are yummy......

Name:	Sq46807.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	71.7 KB 
ID:	1827050   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Wu60230.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	83.0 KB 
ID:	1827051  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Mustangman40
    Sounds like you have post traumatic stress disorder from past pneumatic experiences! LOL

Wish I would have thought of the foam dang-it. I should pump some in the belly-pan of mine.

*edit* No disrespect intended for anyone suffering from PTSD...

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Just a note, it's not the bottom of the wing that fails it's the top, when a wing folds the top compresses, the bottom tries to streach.

Ron
    Ronald W. Horton
    P-47 Brotherhood #63

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: RWHorton

Just a note, it's not the bottom of the wing that fails it's the top, when a wing folds the top compresses, the bottom tries to streach.

Ron
    10-4 on that Ron...... The whole belly pan thing is incase of a gear up landing, easier to fix the paint and not the pan....

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Mustangman40
    Sounds like you have post traumatic stress disorder from past pneumatic experiences! LOL

Wish I would have thought of the foam dang-it. I should pump some in the belly-pan of mine.

*edit* No disrespect intended for anyone suffering from PTSD...
    Well Gary, lets just say that a guy from a particular Magazine was going to take some pics, but I had already took off the static stuff.. he said he would get some pics later on once i was done flying and put all the static stuff back on.. Well, the static stuff never did make it back on that day and the pics never happened..

A word of caution on the spray foam... Trying to fill something that is all covered up with just an access hole, is suicide.. It will blow the sheeting right off and don't ask how i know this, just trust me, it will blow it right off...... They do make a low expanding foam for around windows, if you used it and are careful it should work fine, but don't quote me on that.......

Page 33 of 84 FirstFirst ... 2331323334354383 ... LastLast