Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Top Flite Giant P-47 Build

Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Top Flite Giant P-47 Build

Old 01-14-2013, 09:32 AM
Zor
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Top Flite Giant P-47 Build

ORIGINAL: Mustangman40

ORIGINAL: Zor

Is the airport in Mt Morris, Illinois ?

Zor
Sure is.........
I found that in Illinois there is a Mt Morris and also a Morris. Two different locations.

The Americas Airport Directory is listing the airport at Morris but is not listing an airport at Mt Morris.

Could you kindly tell me roughly where the Mt Morris airport is located ?
Like a bearing from the center of town and approximate distance.
I looked at Google Earth for quite a good distance around Mt Morris and could not find the airport.

Your reply would be much appreciated. I have a friend that owns a Cessna 172 and him and another fellow and myself might just decide to fly there for that event.

Zor

Old 01-14-2013, 10:02 AM
Zor
Banned

ORIGINAL: redbiscuits

1,181 miles[]Sure wish I could make it Jimbo, but it's unlikely.
I am now puzzled.
Jimbo last posting is shown as being on 07/07/2002
and last log in on 09/29/2002

???

Zor

Edited on 14 Jan 2013 at 18:10 EST

I found by chance that Jimbo is the signature of Mustangman40.
Please disregard the above text in this post even though there is a Jimbo in the membership listings.
End

Old 01-14-2013, 02:36 PM
minimax
My Feedback: (31)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jimbo,
Your idea to drill through your surfaces is a good one. I have done this before on sport models. I would place the control surface back in those jigs (we all hate here . Then take some thin CA and apply it to the balsa (both sides) where you are going to drill the hole. Using a forstner bit in your drill press drill through the first side and only half way through the other. Turn the part over and finish drilling the opposite side. I have found this to give clean holes.

You can try it on some scrap first.

Cheers,

Mike
Old 01-17-2013, 07:23 AM
redbiscuits
My Feedback: (6)

ORIGINAL: yates55

How much does your pilot weigh Gary?

just wondering
yates
I put him on the scale last night and he weighed in at 265g, not exactly a lite weight is he?
Will see what happens after I put him on a diet.
Old 01-17-2013, 04:02 PM
yates55

Let me know what kind of diet he goes with, I have a joe coming that I got on ebay also for like $9.00 plus shipping

Thanks
Old 01-17-2013, 09:02 PM
Doomking
My Feedback: (38)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I usually perform some sort of labadomy to mine.
I cut both legs off and I stuff the pants with paper. It is impossible to see the difference once the pilots sits in there deep into the cockpit.
Also I drill the torso out like Swiss cheese to further reduce the weight.

Fabio
Old 01-18-2013, 05:21 AM
redbiscuits

Good advise as usual Fabio, I will get the drill charged up.
Old 01-18-2013, 05:29 AM
TonyBuilder
My Feedback: (11)

Make sure you use anistetic and you don't hit any major arteries and ligaments!

TB
Old 01-18-2013, 06:27 AM
Edwin
My Feedback: (2)

Soak him beer.
Gary, swap meet today and tomorrow in Georgetown.
Edwin
Old 01-18-2013, 07:20 AM
redbiscuits

Thanks, May need to run up there and check it out.
Old 01-18-2013, 08:39 AM
Zor
Banned

Mustangman40

Reference to post 1001
A reply would be much appreciated.

Zor
Old 01-19-2013, 09:30 AM
Mustangman40
My Feedback: (1)

Mustangman40

Reference to post 1001

Zor
Hello gang,
I been out of town working, super busy for the next couple months.. My cell phone allows me to log in and read just fine, but for the life of me, it won't let me post. it's pretty aggravating for sure...

Zor,
You are right about the mount Morris airport, it's true name is the Ogle County Airport, we just all call it the M.M. airport... Here is the link http://www.oglecountyairport.com/ It's on the East side out town.. That would be great if you decided to fly in. We are working hard to make this an awesome event, it was a big event every year where we use to have it, but with moving it to the airport we have the room to do so much more.. I will keep you posted on all the details as we lock them in.....

Jimbo
Old 01-19-2013, 09:44 AM
Mustangman40

ORIGINAL: mikeywart

Jimbo,
Your idea to drill through your surfaces is a good one. I have done this before on sport models. I would place the control surface back in those jigs (we all hate here . Then take some thin CA and apply it to the balsa (both sides) where you are going to drill the hole. Using a forstner bit in your drill press drill through the first side and only half way through the other. Turn the part over and finish drilling the opposite side. I have found this to give clean holes.

You can try it on some scrap first.

Cheers,

Mike
Mike,
thanks for the tip with the CA, that should do the trick on the ail. where I am going through the sheeting first.. The rudder and elv. is going through solid balsa blocks and shouldn't have any tear out.. The fostner bit should do a good job, I was going to cut some scrap wood on the table saw to make a jig at the right angle to make sure I have the control surface level. With the C.S. between two pieces of wood and drilling through the whole thing, it should work fine.. I will take some pics at the shop this week whenI do it, Putting a piece of wood on top and bottom really works well when I have to make a clean hole on something at work that I cant fit on the drill press...
Old 01-19-2013, 11:29 AM
Zor
Banned

Mustangman40

Reference to post 1001

Zor
Hello gang,
I been out of town working, super busy for the next couple months.. My cell phone allows me to log in and read just fine, but for the life of me, it won't let me post. it's pretty aggravating for sure...

Zor,
You are right about the mount Morris airport, it's true name is the Ogle County Airport, we just all call it the M.M. airport... Here is the link http://www.oglecountyairport.com/ It's on the East side out town.. That would be great if you decided to fly in. We are working hard to make this an awesome event, it was a big event every year where we use to have it, but with moving it to the airport we have the room to do so much more.. I will keep you posted on all the details as we lock them in.....

Jimbo
Thanks a million Jimbo for the info and the link.

I now found it on Google Earth as well as on the link.
I was expecting and looking for some paved runway(s) and taxi ways with ILS approaches.
We ususally file IFR flight plans even with the Cessna 172 if the ceiling is reported 1500 feet or more above ground.

We might see you there. It would be a real fun flight.

Zor

Old 01-19-2013, 01:29 PM
Mustangman40

I know this isn't a plane, but I just had to show you guys the most kick butt band saw I have ever used.. This sucker I was told is almost 100 years old and it is so smooth, the blade is 20', yeah 20' it boast a 36" throat.. It runs so smooth that when you turn it off if spins for another two minutes or so. Are blade guy that comes in with new blades for all the tooling in the shop says he has never ever seen one this big, he had to get the blades custom made for it.... Just thought you guys that enjoy wood working would like to see this giant..

Jimbo
Attached Images  
Old 01-19-2013, 03:07 PM
SunDevilPilot

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I know this isn't a plane, but I just had to show you guys the most kick butt band saw I have ever used.. This sucker I was told is almost 100 years old and it is so smooth, the blade is 20', yeah 20' it boast a 36" throat.. It runs so smooth that when you turn it off if spins for another two minutes or so. Are blade guy that comes in with new blades for all the tooling in the shop says he has never ever seen one this big, he had to get the blades custom made for it.... Just thought you guys that enjoy wood working would like to see this giant..

Jimbo
Now that is a bandsaw!

I've seen one other 36" bandsaw. This one is in the Boeing Museum at the Museum of Flight in Seattle Washington. Really cool seeing the old tools.

SunDevilPilot

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh15580.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	112.8 KB
ID:	1842229  
Old 01-20-2013, 07:14 AM
Mustangman40

Well I am still waiting for my retracts, imagine that! The dang things are now saying mid Feb, I sure hope they are worth the wait.. I have almost ordered the air ones, but when you add everything up, the cost isn't that much more for the electric... But now that I am really pretty much at a stand still on the 47 till I get them, I had to go and buy another plane.. So if you add in the cost of the new racing gasser to the price of the electric gear, wow, don't tell the wife!!!!!!!! I'm picking up the new plane next week and it's getting a DLE 60 twin, the goal weight will be as close to 14 pounds as I can get it, low 13's would be awesome.. I will have a thread on it once I get started on it and shoot you guys a link....

Gary,
any paint flying yet???? I know I am not the only one waiting to see yours get her skin on.........

Jimbo
Old 01-20-2013, 07:22 AM
redbiscuits

Nope, not yet Jimbo. I spent the afternoon getting the garage all cleaned up and ready to paint. Hopefully by the end of the week. I'm at work this morning and later on I'm going out to the field to try to get in some flying time, it's been WAY too long.
Jimbo, did you happen to read the article about the TF FW 190 ARF in Model Aviation last month? The author mentioned some problems with the Robart electric retracts, I instantly thought about you.
Old 01-20-2013, 07:34 AM
TonyBuilder
My Feedback: (11)

Great morning for flying, get it while you can!
Old 01-20-2013, 07:50 AM
Mustangman40

Nope, not yet Jimbo. I spent the afternoon getting the garage all cleaned up and ready to paint. Hopefully by the end of the week. I'm at work this morning and later on I'm going out to the field to try to get in some flying time, it's been WAY too long.
Jimbo, did you happen to read the article about the TF FW 190 ARF in Model Aviation last month? The author mentioned some problems with the Robart electric retracts, I instantly thought about you.

No I didn't read it, but I am gonna go do that this very morning. I know of another guy who had problems with the rotating ones for a 50cc corsair.. This might make up my mind on the air which are in stock and would have me back on track to finish this bird up.. I sure as heck don't want to put something in that will give me fits, that's why i was waiting for the electrics, they were suppose to be trouble free.. I got some thinking to do today, thanks for the heads up Gary...Have fun flying buddy, you sure are lucky to have temps that allow you to fly in winter..

Jimbo
Old 01-20-2013, 08:16 AM
redbiscuits

you sure are lucky to have temps that allow you to fly in winter..

Jimbo
We pay for it in the summertime, Tony and Edwin can attest to that!

At the end of the article it says that they also have a situation with the same gear in the air where it doesn't want to extend, after toggling the switch "a time or two" the motor engages and it locks into the down position....
Well, I happen to know from experience with the E-flite retracts that "toggling" the switch and looking for gear while doing umpteen go arounds is a HUGE P.I.T.A!
Old 01-20-2013, 09:35 AM
Mustangman40

you sure are lucky to have temps that allow you to fly in winter..

Jimbo
We pay for it in the summertime, Tony and Edwin can attest to that!

At the end of the article it says that they also have a situation with the same gear in the air where it doesn't want to extend, after toggling the switch "a time or two" the motor engages and it locks into the down position....
Well, I happen to know from experience with the E-flite retracts that "toggling" the switch and looking for gear while doing umpteen go arounds is a HUGE P.I.T.A!
I just read the article and didn't like what I was reading, not one bit.. I agree Gary, going around and around trying to get gear down is no fun.. I was shocked to here that Robarts answer was the turn it by hand to get them working again, are you kidding me!
Well that about sums it up for me, looks like I am going with air.. At least you know what you are getting with them. I thought the reason I have been waiting so long is they were working out all the bugs before selling them to the public.. Gonna head down to the shop and figure out how I want to set up the air system...

DLE has me rethinking the motor as well.. The GP 88 Evo is $800.00 and the new DLE 85 is $550.00. So if I go with that and the air retracts I will save $400.00! That buys my servos and batteries and other goodies... .. I think I made up my mind........
Old 01-20-2013, 09:50 AM
redbiscuits

That sounds like a good plan Jimbo, Last I checked you can even 3 pay the gear through Tower, then it doesn't seem like such a big hit all at once.
Old 01-20-2013, 12:04 PM
oldtyme

Hey Jimbo or Gary,

Any tricks on sanding the razorback smooth???? Everytime I try to sand.......even with finer grit sandpaper I notice small gouges in the balsa......don't want to sand the balsa paper thin but am still having trouble. Maybe don't use sanding bars or blocks and hand sand?? The going from convex to concave curves is a challange for me.

Andy
Old 01-20-2013, 01:39 PM
Ram360
My Feedback: (4)

ORIGINAL: oldtyme

Hey Jimbo or Gary,

Any tricks on sanding the razorback smooth???? Everytime I try to sand.......even with finer grit sandpaper I notice small gouges in the balsa......don't want to sand the balsa paper thin but am still having trouble. Maybe don't use sanding bars or blocks and hand sand?? The going from convex to concave curves is a challange for me.

Andy
I am working on shaping the razor back right now. I would say do it by hand, that's how I am doing it.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.