Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 9 of 84 FirstFirst ... 78910111959 ... LastLast

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Top Flite Giant P-47 Build

damn you guys are bad...all I ever talk about is building a warbird .I have had a mustang but anymore I blab about a P47..I just hadnt decided whether or not to build a topflight 60 size or a giant size.but thanks to you folks I am going to decideshortly and get it out of my head to reality lol.I have been flying a DLE30 in a 260 so I was thinking about a DLE55 on a giant scale.as for retracts I know no matter which vendor I chose it will be pricey but I would love to go with electrics if possible.

as for building the topflight 60 size I would go with a DLE20cc.gaser all the way on either one.

right now I am finishing an old pica T28B that was handed to me.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Aren't the old Pica kits wonderful? I did me a Waco a few years ago and have another bigger one on the shelf. I can't wait to get it on the bench someday.

Finishing the belly pan, one side left to go. The pile of wood that used to be here is rapidly dwindling.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ig11386.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	168.6 KB 
ID:	1749060   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cx76491.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	186.1 KB 
ID:	1749061   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ig13374.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	172.5 KB 
ID:	1749062   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ez83825.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	179.4 KB 
ID:	1749063  
    Gary-Waco Brother#171 If the build gets tough, always refrain from throwing things! ARCA, Austin Tx. www.austinrc.org

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

While I was waiting for some more sheeting to dry, I decided I want the wing fillet to follow around to the bottom side of the wing. I took balsa block, carved to a rough shape, glued it in position, and then sanded the rest of the way.

Name:	Kh17751.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	146.3 KB 
ID:	1749093   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Oj26507.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	154.3 KB 
ID:	1749094  
    Gary-Waco Brother#171 If the build gets tough, always refrain from throwing things! ARCA, Austin Tx. www.austinrc.org

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

yes red the old pica kit is great.the guy that sold it to me included new spring air retracts and the fuse is already built and skinned and the workmanship is very good.I want to update the kit and eliminate the bellcranks at least for the ailerons.and maybe go with electric retracts .by the way I had the same waco ymf 3 that you have in the pics.I recently sold it to another club member and he is refinishing the plane .

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Finished up the belly pan and have the initial filler coat sanded down. I still need to go over it another time or two and make it look real purty. [&:]

Look what showed up on the slow boat from China. I absolutely have know idea about electrics. I'm gonna need some help on this one. When people at the field start talking amps, watts, voltage,"C" rating, my mind goes numb....
    Question is.....I bought two 1000 mah, 25-50c discharge, 11.1v lipo battery's for this thing. It says it has a 20amp speed controller in it, Am I gonna fry the speed controller when I hook this thing up?

d-dog, TonyB... are ya'll around? I could use your help

Name:	Zx71929.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	169.6 KB 
ID:	1749529   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cx75077.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	164.0 KB 
ID:	1749530  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: redbiscuits

Finished up the belly pan and have the initial filler coat sanded down. I still need to go over it another time or two and make it look real purty. [&:]

Look what showed up on the slow boat from China. I absolutely have know idea about electrics. I'm gonna need some help on this one. When people at the field start talking amps, watts, voltage,"C" rating, my mind goes numb....
    Question is.....I bought two 1000 mah, 25-50c discharge, 11.1v lipo battery's for this thing. It says it has a 20amp speed controller in it, Am I gonna fry the speed controller when I hook this thing up?

d-dog, TonyB... are ya'll around? I could use your help
    Just sell it ... Keep to the GAS I can fill a 28 oz gas tank in 45 seconds and it takes an hour to charge 2 batteries big enough to fly some thing worth flying ... If ya like toys go "LECTRIC" if ya want to fly a real good scale War bird go gas. JUSTMY OPINION so don't jump all over my Butt. "Lectrics are just toys.
    Remember ... Every one of these Things we fly Comes with a Number, When the R/C Gods call that Number, it's going in a Garbage Bag, No Sniveling Allowed.
    P-47 Thunderbolt Brotherhood #24 & #43

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hahahaha, sometimes I need a toy that I won't mind making a lawn dart out of.

I will be surprised if it makes it through it's first flight!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hahahaha, sometimes I need a toy that I won't mind making a lawn dart out of.

I will be surprised if it makes it through it's first flight!
    AH come on know I'm sure ya can fly anything ... even "LETRIC"
    Remember ... Every one of these Things we fly Comes with a Number, When the R/C Gods call that Number, it's going in a Garbage Bag, No Sniveling Allowed.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I'm not worried about flying it, I'm worried about the cheap no-name servos in this thing failing coming out of a split S.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I'm not worried about flying it, I'm worried about the cheap no-name servos in this thing failing coming out of a split S.
    Keep it high and out ... far out ...

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I ordered mine last night!![:-] So nervous! It might come in on Wed and I'll be able to pick it up at our Monthly RC meeting!! Oh yeah, envy all around!
    Deryk - ol Cape Cod
    Building Newbie - TF Giant P-47

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Congrats! Make sure and post some pictures when you get started.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Started glassing the top of the wing today, I need to get some protection on this after the amount of times I have been taking it on and off. Lucky I didn't do more damage than I have. Maneuvering this thing in my garage is kinda difficult.

Also pulled out my canopy today to start working in the cockpit area. I didn't notice it last time I pulled it out of the box and tissue wrap, but there is a huge bubble and a couple hairs in it when they vacuum formed it. I will get on the phone tomorrow to see if they will replace it.

Name:	Vs55602.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	182.7 KB 
ID:	1750706   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mh18962.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	167.2 KB 
ID:	1750707   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ej14533.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	169.0 KB 
ID:	1750708   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rl25824.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	178.2 KB 
ID:	1750709  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I just got off the phone with Hobby Services, they are sending me a new canopy no questions asked. I even asked them if I needed to pay shipping and they said no way, it's defective and they will send one out right away.
    Way to go guys, thats why I love them and why I will continue to build kits from GP and TF [8D]

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Nice! Love dealing with companies that have a sense of responsibility.
    Deryk - ol Cape Cod

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I'm building a pinewood derby car for my son this week. The race is on Saturday and they didn't give us the cars until Monday night at the pack meeting. Don't they know that modelers like us need at least 3 months to finish a project like this?

I'm trying to resist the urge to add panel lines and invasion stripes to his car!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Isn't the Boy Scout supposed to build the car?  I'm sure he could build it in less than a week.

Ray W.

Fleet Brotherhood #7

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

He is helping, he is a Tiger Cub, so being his first year in Scouts he needs Daddy's help. After this year though Dad's aren't supposed to do any of the work, except what needs done with power tools of course.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

A dear friend's Youngest is a Scout.  She used to speak of building her boys car as he was a bit fumble fingered.  We all agreed that there ought to be two divisions of Pinewood Derby.  One for just the adults.   We all had a good giggle on that.

Great that you support him.

By the by, I've been watching this thread for some time and, if it weren't the list of kits I have under the work bench, I'd get a Giant P-47 as it looks a bit easier than my TF Coursair (2nd one).

Ray W.
    Fleet Brotherhood #7

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Yeah, My boy has an attention span disorder (what 7 year old doesn't) Sanding for him was fun for about 42 seconds and then it was off to find something else to do.

I read through the build manual for the Corsair, that looks to be a bit more challenging than the P-47 I agree...Maybe someday I will be up for it.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Lots of bits and pieces for the flap setup but well worth the work in the long run.  I've shelved it for a 1/3 Fleet that has been a year this August.
    Fleet Brotherhood #7

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hey Red a quick question for you. I got my kit last night and inventoried it... Everything good.
    I'm on step 11 of the stabilizer and the wood they say to use is the3/8" x 1/2" x 18" stabLE’sand I'm not sure wether to glue it first, then bevel, or bevel first and glue. I'm also not sure wether to stand on side (1/2" side glued to the ribs), or lay flat and glue (3/8" glued to the ribs). If you put that LE wood on the plan, it is to stand on edge and glue the 1/2" to the ribs, but there seems to be a couple of options and I don't want to screw up the first thing I do...

What did you do? (Or does it even matter which way I do it, 'cause I'm going to be shaping it anyway?)
    Deryk - ol Cape Cod

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: CapeEynon

Hey Red a quick question for you. I got my kit last night and inventoried it... Everything good.
    I'm on step 11 of the stabilizer and the wood they say to use is the3/8" x 1/2" x 18" stabLE’sand I'm not sure wether to glue it first, then bevel, or bevel first and glue. I'm also not sure wether to stand on side (1/2" side glued to the ribs), or lay flat and glue (3/8" glued to the ribs). If you put that LE wood on the plan, it is to stand on edge and glue the 1/2" to the ribs, but there seems to be a couple of options and I don't want to screw up the first thing I do...

What did you do? (Or does it even matter which way I do it, 'cause I'm going to be shaping it anyway?)
    I cannot intrude with "red reply" but I suggest you have a look at the beginning of this thread. Many pictures about building this stabilizer.

Zor

Page 9 of 84 FirstFirst ... 78910111959 ... LastLast