Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Top Flite Giant P-47 Build

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Top Flite Giant P-47 Build

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2012, 06:21 PM
Ram360
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Top Flite Giant P-47 Build

As far as electronics go I am using a jr 9ch rx with a wolverine switch and am going to try savox servos all on HV. Motor is a DLE 55 I had laying around. This is my first build and had been fun so far.
Old 10-05-2012, 02:38 PM
Doomking
My Feedback: (38)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nick ...pictures didn't show.
Old 10-05-2012, 03:12 PM
bigal126
My Feedback: (18)

C'mon Nick.
Old 10-05-2012, 03:12 PM
Ram360

Its been fixed
Old 10-08-2012, 04:16 AM
redbiscuits
My Feedback: (6)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What is the consensus of gluing in pin hinges with Gorilla Glue? It foams and expands up to 3x when curing. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Old 10-08-2012, 04:32 AM
Ram360

It works great but can be messy. Take some Vaseline and put a thin coat around the hinge hole. If any glue expands out it will not stick and comes right off.  I have used gorilla glue on my last 2 35% planes.
Old 10-08-2012, 05:15 AM
redbiscuits

By messy, do you mean when it cures it gushes out or what? I guess if it works on a 35% air-frame it would more than do the job on this. Do you fly 3D Ram?
Old 10-08-2012, 08:24 AM
yates55

Just to let you guy's know Fiberglass Specialties have the "chin" for $14.00 plus shipping if you are looking for them

They are not listed yet but you can give Craig a call at 479-359-2429

yates
Old 10-08-2012, 08:29 AM
redbiscuits

Awesome! I just got done posting in the ARF thread if anyone had one they were willing to part with.
Thanks Yates.
Old 10-08-2012, 08:44 AM
maineflyer
My Feedback: (44)

Guys,
I am looking at this as my first scale project in a long time. Building a new workshop at the house and I am hoping this is going to be the first thing on the table. I wanted to ask some questions if you don't mind. I am looking at doing electric retracts and wanted to if anyone else is using them. I would also really like to fly with a scale prop on a DLE 55RE. Has anyone tried that? Thanks for the input... I have a bunch of reading to do
Jeff
Old 10-08-2012, 09:34 AM
bigal126
My Feedback: (18)

Redbiscuits,
I fly with Nick and consider him a friend. As far as does he fly 3D? I think it is safe to say "yes, you can call it that." As far as warbirds go, his last encounter with a P47 ended up with everyone at the field climbing the highest tree out there for the retrieval operation.
I have some experience with gorilla glue. The glue will look for the path of least resistance, which normally is out the back of the hinge hole. This is good in that a little ball of glue will form back there which locks the hinge in. It won't come out easily. With that being said, if you drill the proper hole diameter that allows the hinge to fit snug at the hinge line, very little if any glue will come out forward making a clean installation. But Nick is correct to suggest putting in some type of barrier "just in case". I took a piece of masking tape, punched a hole in the center with a standard hole punch, and placed the tape on both hinge lines before gluing. It was a little challenge to get the tape off after the glue sets, but made for a clean install. That is my experience at least, but I'm no prolific builder.
I've been following the thread and your plane and the others look awesome!
Old 10-08-2012, 09:59 AM
redbiscuits

Thanks for sharing your experience bigal. I'm going to try it. I like how it foams up and expands. As many times as I have had the surfaces on and off the plane a couple of the holes aren't as tight as they used to be. I've read where guys swear by the stuff, I just don't like to believe everything I read sometimes.
Old 10-08-2012, 11:15 AM
Mustangman40
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: maineflyer

Guys,
I am looking at this as my first scale project in a long time. Building a new workshop at the house and I am hoping this is going to be the first thing on the table. I wanted to ask some questions if you don't mind. I am looking at doing electric retracts and wanted to if anyone else is using them. I would also really like to fly with a scale prop on a DLE 55RE. Has anyone tried that? Thanks for the input... I have a bunch of reading to do
Jeff

Jeff,
I am building one right now as well and been waiting for Robart to come out with the Electric retracts, they came out and it will run my $630.00 for the mains and tailwheel.. I about choked when i seen the price so I am rethinking what way I will go with gear... As far as the scale prop, everyone I seen running them have went with a DA 85 to help turn the monster, haven't seen a DLE 55 turning one yet...

Jimbo
Old 10-08-2012, 01:17 PM
maineflyer
My Feedback: (44)

Jimbo,
I think there is a company that will convert gear to electric also... I was hoping to find something for under 500.
Old 10-08-2012, 01:46 PM
Ram360

ORIGINAL: redbiscuits

By messy, do you mean when it cures it gushes out or what? I guess if it works on a 35% air-frame it would more than do the job on this. Do you fly 3D Ram?
Yes it will start to bubble out of the hole if its to large, but Al already commented on all of that. And I am by no means easy on my planes, Fabio can comment on that to lol. And it wasnt the tallest tree, it was only 20ft up.
Old 10-08-2012, 05:57 PM
Doomking

What is the consensus of gluing in pin hinges with Gorilla Glue? It foams and expands up to 3x when curing. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
For those of you along with Gary, that are considering using Gorilla Glue for Robart hinge point, years ago I found here on RCU an awesome video demonstrating the proper procedure to how to install Robart hinge point with gorilla glue.
I tried it years ago and I never looked back. I think by far is the easiest and strongest installation method out there.
To find the video click on the link listed below.

It's the review for the Top Flite GS p-51 ARF.
Scroll just a bit down, and on the second row of pictures he talks about installing hinge points and gives a link to a very informative video.
Enjoy!!!

[link]http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/article_display.cfm?article_id=273[/link]

Fabio
Old 10-09-2012, 03:13 AM
redbiscuits

Well, I'm sold on that method now. Thanks Fabio!
Old 10-10-2012, 06:52 AM
Mustangman40

Man, evryone is so craby in the warbird forum......................

Gary,
I been using just regular Tite bond wood glue for ahwile now on all my hinges and it's worked awesome, use to use epoxy...
I like the fact that the GG expands and will be trying it on my next hinge job....

I am also going to glass mine with a new product I came across called EzeKote, after using it to glass a screwed up cowl on my 50cc pitts. I don't think I will ever use epoxy resin to glass with again, it was that good....

Jimbo
Old 10-10-2012, 07:00 AM
redbiscuits

Yeah Jimbo, congrats on the #1 thread on RCU right now, only seconded by another **** stirring thread in the jet forum, no surprise there!

I'd like to see some pics how that resin turns out, I'm always looking for a better way to do things with good results.
Old 10-10-2012, 07:17 AM
Mustangman40

Yeah Jimbo, congrats on the #1 thread on RCU right now, only seconded by another **** stirring thread in the jet forum, no surprise there!

I'd like to see some pics how that resin turns out, I'm always looking for a better way to do things with good results.

LOL it's funny how crazy they get trying to tell you how wrong your opinion is, but try and cram their opinion on ya.....

Any way..
here is a short vid of the stuff and a few of the really cool things..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQJ-m...eature=related
No smell, water base so clean up is great.. You can start a wing in the morning and be ready for primer in as little as 2 hours and that's no joke.. I found it to blend and sand awesome when i used it and that was on a glass cowl, can only imagine how well it works on wood... My shop is in the basement, so the no odor thing is a big plus... I will do a vid on the stuff when I do my P-47 and keep you posted..

Jimbo
Old 10-10-2012, 09:41 AM
redbiscuits

Oh well, you know Jimbo, one good thing about those ARF's is it frees up a lot of time to play on the internets.
Old 10-10-2012, 01:34 PM
Doomking

Kinda looks like the poly method.
Milky substance, water based and done with 3 to 4 coats.
Keep us posted.
I would like to hear your impression if that water based product will not effect the wood with warping and all.
Thanks for sharing.
Old 10-10-2012, 01:42 PM
shrek514

You can perchase it at great hobbies. Who apparrently purchased ontario adhesives company. So you can only by it from great hobbies. I will buy some  and test this product out for sure. Thanks for the tip on this great product.
Old 10-10-2012, 01:57 PM
redbiscuits

Horizon has it http://www.horizonhobby.com/products/eze-kote-DLMBD37
Old 10-11-2012, 06:09 AM
shrek514

Sorry i was talking in canada

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.