Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Top Flite Giant P-47 Build

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Top Flite Giant P-47 Build

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2012, 12:19 PM
Mustangman40
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Top Flite Giant P-47 Build

I did a few things different from the plans on my flaps.. I laminated the control horn with thin carbon fiber on both sides, then drilled it and installed a piece of Ni-rod and sanded it flush.. The CF really made this nice and stiff...
After reading about what a PITA the flaps are, I decided to add blocks next to the control horn.. It adds strength to the horn, but in the event it failed or becomes to much of a pain setting them up, I have the blocking touse a regularcontrol horn and run the linkage outside the wing like the ailerons are.. It didn't take much extra work and now I have options... I also didn't like that the LE was just glued to the 3/32 sheeting and the few ribs, so I added some 1/4" stock for more gluing surface...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki18591.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	80.6 KB
ID:	1819471   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ws56396.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	56.8 KB
ID:	1819472   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gl19370.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	46.8 KB
ID:	1819473  
Old 11-11-2012, 03:12 PM
redbiscuits
My Feedback: (6)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good work Jimbo!

When I got back from the LHS, I made me up my exhausts. Go ahead, deduct points for not adding the waste gates, I don't care.

I'll add them permanently after paint.

Interesting fact about Tar-Heel Hal, I asked at the museum why there was no waste gates, they told me they did away with the whole supercharger system to lighten it up. They also said they wouldn't even need it since it fly's most of the time under 10,000 feet.

Things that make you go hmmm...[&:]

Name:	Fd92107.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	163.1 KB
ID:	1819538   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mi22080.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	359.1 KB
ID:	1819539   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fl18705.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	168.5 KB
ID:	1819540  
Old 11-11-2012, 04:26 PM
Doomking
My Feedback: (38)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Gary your rivets are just perfect.
It's easy to get caught up in the scale fever, but for me I always draw a line a make a good balance between good scale effort and every day flier finish.

Jimbo you are cheating....... I wish you would have posted your flap pictures earlier so I could have copied that good idea as well.....
You were supposed to follow the instruction to the "T" and set up the flap horn the same lousy way we all did.
By the way, if I am not mistaken, you need to flip that horn before you glue it in. As it shows in your picture I think is upside down.

Anyway, success at the end. I soaked the flaps yesterday evening in warm water and put some weight on it.......and presto! The flap now lay perfectly flat and in line with the other surfaces.
That was an easy fix.....
Aileron are also hinged and servo hardwood block installed.
I hope that I am right about the horn because mine are drying with epoxy as we speak.

Servo hatches next. The 1/16 ply looks very thin even compared to my P-51. Do you guys feel comfortable trusting your bird to such thin ply or should it be OK?
Warning.....Warning....paranoia alert!!
By the way...did I pass Jimbo in the build? Gary you are the official judge from now on on...

Name:	Ec87384.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	59.3 KB
ID:	1819553   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kf12012.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	61.3 KB
ID:	1819554   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rw59115.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	49.9 KB
ID:	1819555  
Old 11-11-2012, 04:59 PM
Mustangman40

Yes it is in wrong, just slipped it in for the picture... You sure did pass me up, looks very good too....

Question..
My flaps have some warp in them as well.. I have to head back out of town for work and didn't glue my LE on yet.. I was thinking of spraying and put some bags on them before I glue on the LE, anyone see a problem doing it like that?

I also think the thin ply is week on the servo doors, I am changing mine for sure.. I was kind of shocked to see that's what they called for in the kit.. Oh well, not a big deal to change them...
Old 11-11-2012, 05:06 PM
Mustangman40

ORIGINAL: redbiscuits

Good work Jimbo!

When I got back from the LHS, I made me up my exhausts. Go ahead, deduct points for not adding the waste gates, I don't care.

I'll add them permanently after paint.

Interesting fact about Tar-Heel Hal, I asked at the museum why there was no waste gates, they told me they did away with the whole supercharger system to lighten it up. They also said they wouldn't even need it since it fly's most of the time under 10,000 feet.

Things that make you go hmmm...[&:]

Gary,
looks good........ I decided to do a scale working exhaust on mine, but that might change when I get to it..

I tossed all the plastic parts for mine way back when, I need to place my order to FS this week.. I am going to order all the part's they make for the kit, I will post how they are...

Jimbo
Old 11-11-2012, 05:20 PM
Zor
Banned

Just a thought . . .

If the middle or in between hinge (hinges) do not perfectly lineup in a straight line it could force a warp or a twist.

Zor
Old 11-11-2012, 06:30 PM
Doomking

Yes I would definitely straight them out before you glue the TE.
Just soak them good and put some good weight on it.
They will dry straight.
Old 11-11-2012, 07:33 PM
RWHorton

If I can chim in here on the flaps, I went with a Hightech Digital servos on the whole plane, but what is really nice is on the flaps I can program them so they move at the same speed, and the same distance, I also programed them to move at the slowest speed they will go also. It makes them look as real as possible.

Ron
Old 11-13-2012, 08:28 AM
redbiscuits

ORIGINAL: Doomking

Servo hatches next. The 1/16 ply looks very thin even compared to my P-51. Do you guys feel comfortable trusting your bird to such thin ply or should it be OK?
Warning.....Warning....paranoia alert!!
By the way...did I pass Jimbo in the build? Gary you are the official judge from now on on...
Damn! Why did you have to plant that in my head?
Actually, once I had them made, and my servos installed on the plate, and 6 screws mounting each of them to the wing, I think there is little chance of them going anywhere or flexing. I built them per the instructions and all seems fine. Remember, these are not 3D type airplanes with extreme throws and lots of force against the surfaces.

If we build them like a tank it all adds up in the end, and then it will fly like a tank. JMO
Old 11-13-2012, 08:58 AM
Edwin
My Feedback: (2)

Gary,
You think you're about half finished?
Edwin
Old 11-13-2012, 09:07 AM
redbiscuits

I'd say I'm more like 90% finished. Wait until the end of next week and we should see some color on her. I'm on vacation all next week, hope I get some good painting weather.
Old 11-13-2012, 09:22 AM
redbiscuits

Edwin, BTW, do you know a good place around here to get bigger chunks of lead or something similar? I'm going to have to add weight in the front, I already know that. I'm also going to need a way to balance it. The little puny C/G machine I have isn't going to cut it. I might have to go back and do it the way I did my Waco.

Name:	Da83383.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	223.2 KB
ID:	1820018   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kf12828.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	149.5 KB
ID:	1820019  
Old 11-13-2012, 09:29 AM
Edwin

Someone earlier said Dive shops. That will get you big heavy chunks. Another place would be hardware stores that have the lead to go around roof vents. I use 1/4" steel plate from Westbrook Metals, in the area of Lamar and Airport intersection. A piece big enough to bolt to the firewall would weigh about 8lbs. Just size accordingly. I find it to be a pretty clean setup. I have a metal cutting band saw if you want to use it.
Edwin
Old 11-13-2012, 09:31 AM
Edwin

Gary,
Before I forget, the stearman problem was both clunks fell off inside the tank. Its good now. Dont forget the wire ties on your fuel lines.
Edwin
Old 11-13-2012, 09:34 AM
redbiscuits

Thanks Edwin, I'll check on those places.

I used safety wire.................I think?

That's the trouble with these long builds, I need to develop a checklist. LOL
Old 11-13-2012, 09:42 AM
Edwin

Let me know when the maiden is. I got a real nice HD video camera last year and havent really used it that much.
Edwin
Old 11-13-2012, 09:49 AM
redbiscuits

Thanks! I'll take you up on that.

I'm going to choose that day wisely. Blue sky,winds out of the south straight down the runway at about 8-10mph. Perfect!
Old 11-13-2012, 11:38 AM
redbiscuits

If anyone is interested in some of the exhaust stacks that I made, I have enough material left over to whip out another dozen or so.
It was kind of fun and I wouldn't mind making a few more for those that want em.
Old 11-13-2012, 02:14 PM
Doomking

What I usually use to make ballast is plumber solder.
Once I put the plane on the Vanessa rig I add piece by piece crumble solder wire.
You can be very accurate since you can cut from the spool just as little or as much as you need.
When I have the correct amount I melt it all together in the shape that I need it to be, to be glued to which ever part of the fuse.
To make a quick mold for melting the solder I fold aluminum foil several times to make a little container to melt the solder in and I can shape it in any size or shape I want.

Did I confuse you enough?

By the way I will not redesign the servo hatches. Who am I to question TF design team?
I will however lay a thicker layer of glass before I lay the final layer over tha hatches.

Fabio
Old 11-13-2012, 02:53 PM
redbiscuits

That makes perfect sense, I'll need to see how much that is when I go to HD or Lowes.
Old 11-13-2012, 03:03 PM
Zor
Banned

What I usually use to make ballast is plumber solder.
Once I put the plane on the Vanessa rig I add piece by piece crumble solder wire.
You can be very accurate since you can cut from the spool just as little or as much as you need.
When I have the correct amount I melt it all together in the shape that I need it to be, to be glued to which ever part of the fuse.
To make a quick mold for melting the solder I fold aluminum foil several times to make a little container to melt the solder in and I can shape it in any size or shape I want.

Did I confuse you enough?

By the way I will not redesign the servo hatches. Who am I to question TF design team?
I will however lay a thicker layer of glass before I lay the final layer over tha hatches.

Fabio
Fabio ___is this the stuff you are talking about ?

I have used two ;pieces of this lead, 2 weight oz each in the front of my Skybolt.
I did not melt it. I drilled two wholes in each piece slightle smaller than the OD of metal crews but larger than the bottom threads of the metal screws and just screwed them in.

It worked beautifully.

The piece at the bottom of the pic is a weight used for balancing car and truck wheels.
I tested if it would melt about the same temperatue as the other bar.

Zor

Name:	Tr51834.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	24.3 KB
ID:	1820067  
Old 11-13-2012, 07:12 PM
Doomking

Nop ...that's what I am talking about...

Just unwind what you think you need and crumble it in your hands and put in on the plane where you needed until you balance it.
After melt it all with a propane torch and glue it in place with silicon caulking since it is vibration resistant.

Name:	Om32191.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	11.3 KB
ID:	1820195  
Old 11-13-2012, 07:18 PM
Zor
Banned

Nop ...that's what I am talking about...

Just unwind what you think you need and crumble it in your hands and put in on the plane where you needed until you balance it.
After melt it all with a propane torch and glue it in place with silicon caulking since it is vibration resistant.
Ah ... OK ... I have about 3 inches of the same stuff you illustrated to laterally balance the wings of my Spectra sailplane.

I now know what you were referring to.

Thanks,

Zor

Edited to change "balnce" to "balance"
Old 11-15-2012, 08:15 AM
redbiscuits

I just had to post this... Sorry about the language at the end kids....

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5ElGt6iAYw&feature=g-vrec[/youtube]
Old 11-15-2012, 12:23 PM
EJWash1
My Feedback: (3)

Gary, that video is making it's way around the R/C web sites.

The instructor is an eagle-eyed guy that has a very cool-hand on the controls. Made the "rescue" look like a total non-event.

I don't have to deal with trees at my field, only a few cacti, but wouldn't it be nice to have an R-22 and pilot standing-by for plucking models from trees?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.