Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Top Flite Giant P-47 Build

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Top Flite Giant P-47 Build

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2013, 06:55 AM
Edwin
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Top Flite Giant P-47 Build

By George I think he's got it.
Edwin
Old 01-27-2013, 07:14 AM
SunDevilPilot

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

yup... Looks really good.

Klass Kote is such nice paint and easy to work with it had to be something simple. Glad you got everything going good now.

SunDevilPilot
Old 01-27-2013, 07:43 AM
redbiscuits
My Feedback: (6)

Thanks Sun Devil.

ORIGINAL: yates55

It Looks great to me, hope mine turns out half that nice

So Gary it looks like you have servo's all hooked up and hinged did you paint over them are they protected with something?

oh yea got my joe also

yates

Yates, everything is installed, engine, ignition, servos, receiver, everything. Tape and masking paper is cheaper than my time of unhooking everything. I didn't protect the hinges from anything, the left over oil from installing them should protect them. And as far as the linkages and horns I want them the same color anyway.
Old 01-27-2013, 08:04 AM
WacoNut

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

Looks good Gary glad you figured it out, makes me feel better too

Later!!
Anthony
Old 01-27-2013, 09:04 AM
Mustangman40
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks great Gary, just awesome... I know that you said that the detail kit you bought was not a easy way to go, but i have to say, it looks pretty dang good.. I think I might be sending him a PM and get mine ordered...
Old 01-27-2013, 10:56 AM
redbiscuits

Thanks guys, I couldn't wait to get the OD on the top of the wing. It turned out nice too.
I really do like this paint, now that I have my gun tuned in it sprays really nice. That is about all I can do today, the wind has really kicked up in the last hour or so. I need to go find something to mask with anyway that will give me a soft edge between the OD on the top of the fuse, and the grey on the bottom. They make a round foam that has tape on it that some body shops use, just need to find out where to get it.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo40916.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	215.3 KB
ID:	1844928   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xt60098.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	186.2 KB
ID:	1844929   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uz67678.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	198.8 KB
ID:	1844930  
Old 01-27-2013, 11:02 AM
Zor
Banned

Beautiful redbiscuits
Enjoy the results of solving a problem successfully

Zor
Old 01-27-2013, 11:04 AM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

ORIGINAL: redbiscuits

Thanks guys, I couldn't wait to get the OD on the top of the wing. It turned out nice too.
I really do like this paint, now that I have my gun tuned in it sprays really nice. That is about all I can do today, the wind has really kicked up in the last hour or so. I need to go find something to mask with anyway that will give me a soft edge between the OD on the top of the fuse, and the grey on the bottom. They make a round foam that has tape on it that some body shops use, just need to find out where to get it.

Hey SunDevilPilot .... look at the middle Pic Post #: 1081 ... Panel Lines and rivits ... time to put Rib Sticing a Pinked Tape on a couple of your Clasiscs .... sure would be winners at "GUN SMOKE"
Old 01-27-2013, 11:58 AM
Mustangman40

Man, it really looks great Gary. I love how it's coming out for you, all the detail really pops......

I got my new toy yesterday and had to play with it a little, the P47 is still the top banana in the shop, but this is some motivation to get my butt in gear so i can move on to this....
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/forumid_75/tt.htm

Jimbo
Old 01-27-2013, 11:59 AM
redbiscuits

ORIGINAL: Mustangman40

Looks great Gary, just awesome... I know that you said that the detail kit you bought was not a easy way to go, but i have to say, it looks pretty dang good.. I think I might be sending him a PM and get mine ordered...[img][/img]
It's not an easy way out kinda thing Jimbo, but the results make it worth the effort. Now, there WAS a day when I wasn't sure, they definitely added some "burn out" factor to this build.
I can see the light at the end of the tunnel, and the light is getting brighter.[8D]
Old 01-27-2013, 12:27 PM
redbiscuits

Jimbo, that link just goes to the arf forum, is there a particular thread that you meant to give a link too?

My buddy Tony came by today while I was painting and took some photos. Thanks for sending me the photos Tony.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh15871.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	189.0 KB
ID:	1844964   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fb87904.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	148.9 KB
ID:	1844965   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hn25657.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	114.8 KB
ID:	1844966   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qj19745.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	126.9 KB
ID:	1844967   Click image for larger version

Name:	Al70670.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	148.0 KB
ID:	1844968  
Old 01-27-2013, 12:48 PM
SunDevilPilot

I gotta say, I proud of you for wearing a respirator. All too often I see people omit personal safety. I wear a similar mask when I paint.
The olive drab / green looks like it went down nice. Gonna be a sweet plane!

Painting tip: When spraying a surface try your best to keep the paint gun at 90 degrees to the surface. This technique will make the paint lay down evenly. If you are at an angle the paint will be thicker towards the short side of the angle and thinner at the wider side.
SunDevilPilot
Old 01-27-2013, 12:58 PM
redbiscuits

Yep, I'm only kidding when I say I like the fumes. I don't need to die an early death from cancer, I got to many planes yet to build!
Old 01-27-2013, 01:02 PM
SunDevilPilot

I'm a novice painter too.... Did a lot of research on the net for tips. This video may give you some ideas of what to do....

http://youtu.be/QLH83B0Q2qE

SunDevilPilot
Old 01-27-2013, 01:51 PM
HoundDog

Yep, I'm only kidding when I say I like the fumes. I don't need to die an early death from cancer, I got to many planes yet to build!
Have a good friend whos son died from the effects of the paints they used on the world dinning Quicky 500 planes .... We all come with a termination date no use trying to shorten that date. Looks great I really admire and a little bit jelouse of people like U and SunDevil that have those natural talents ... But then I'dnever fly it ... if it hasn't got gobs of tape and other pataches on it My knees and left thumb shake too much. LOL Great job
Old 01-27-2013, 01:59 PM
TonyBuilder
My Feedback: (11)

It is one thing to see pictures of a kit in progress but to actually see it is so inspiring, pictures don't show the amazing job you are doing Gary!

I am even more wanting to glass and paint my jug. I can't wait to see this bird all dressed up and ready for the party

Thanks for shearing

TB
Old 01-27-2013, 02:09 PM
Mustangman40

Jimbo, that link just goes to the arf forum, is there a particular thread that you meant to give a link too?

My buddy Tony came by today while I was painting and took some photos. Thanks for sending me the photos Tony.
My bad Gary, here is the right link.. http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_11386317/tm.htmIt's my next project to kill time while I watch paint dry on the 47, man I can't wait till that happens...
Old 01-27-2013, 04:36 PM
EJWash1
My Feedback: (3)

First, my gun was out of wack! not enough flow and the air was to high. Second, I completely took the gun apart and gave everything a bath. It had some gunked up primer in it and was causing problems with the flow. Live and learn right, I never claimed to be a painter.
So what have I learned, you can NEVER be too clean or too cautious when it comes to painting.
Glad it worked-out. Its looking very nice.

We have after-run oil for our engines, anyone use/know-of a product or technique to use after using spray guns?
Old 01-28-2013, 04:38 AM
redbiscuits

Well, after the bottom of the wing fiasco, I immediately started to clean the gun after each use. After I'm done spraying, I run lacquer thinner through the gun until it comes out clear. Then I disassemble the front of the gun and throw everything into a bowl of thinner. Take a little brush and clean the parts, blow compressed air on them and re-assemble.

Sundevilpilot, now I want one of those Sata guns, man those are nice! I can't justify it though since it wouldn't be making me any money. I would definitely break it out every chance I could though. I'd be painting everything, including the cat.
Old 01-28-2013, 06:50 AM
SunDevilPilot

Well, after the bottom of the wing fiasco, I immediately started to clean the gun after each use. After I'm done spraying, I run lacquer thinner through the gun until it comes out clear. Then I disassemble the front of the gun and throw everything into a bowl of thinner. Take a little brush and clean the parts, blow compressed air on them and re-assemble.

Sundevilpilot, now I want one of those Sata guns, man those are nice! I can't justify it though since it wouldn't be making me any money. I would definitely break it out every chance I could though. I'd be painting everything, including the cat.
You sequence is the same as mine.. I tear down the gun after each use and clean it inside and out.

The spray gun I have is no longer made by Sata. There is a new version, the Minijet 3000 B. I havent priced it since buying mine but they are definately the Porsche of spray guns (Cant say Ferrari because they are German!). When I was shopping for mine I found Sata in the Jet forum. A lot of jet guys were using them to paint their scale jets. American Chopper was also huge at that time, and Nub's, the professional painter for the show, used Sata. So I blindly went that route.

I think cleaning mine each time was made an obsession due to the cost of the gun. I could eat with mine after each cleaning!

Ok, enough of that.... Back to the Thunderbolt!

SunDevilPilot

Old 01-28-2013, 06:53 AM
Zor
Banned

After using the spray gun it seems logical to me to fully clean it, dry it and wrap it in a plastic bag to avoid atmospheric dust paricularly if stored in the shop where we always at some time have sanding dust.

Zor

Old 01-28-2013, 07:02 AM
HoundDog

It's only money and no one has to justify this Hobby ... Besides it's just like the other day when I was on RCU/Engines motors and placed an offer on 2 seperate DLE-30's .Just so happened my 28 year old daughter called and thanked me for the Christmas Checks and her Birthday check ... She just asked what I was doing .... Perfect opertunity .. MY Quote " I'm spending your Inherantance" .... don't think she got though. OH Well.
Old 01-28-2013, 02:14 PM
Edwin
My Feedback: (2)

Gary,
What are you doing for insignia's and such, vinyl?
Edwin
Old 01-28-2013, 02:17 PM
redbiscuits

I have paint masks for the stars and bars. The rest of the art is vinyl that I had Callie Graphics do for me.
Old 01-28-2013, 02:38 PM
redbiscuits

I stopped at two body-shops on the way home to see if I could get about 10 foot of the 3M soft edge masking foam. The first place I stopped the gentleman was very nice, but had no clue what I was talking about. After I explained what it was used for he wished he had some and was going to order it. The second place I stopped they new exactly what I needed and gave me about 15 foot of it for free, SCORE!!!

Repair shops use it to seal door jams and also to give a soft edge in priming and painting situations where they are repairing the center of a panel. We use it to transition say a camo job from one color to another and not get a sharp line.

I'm trying to upload a photo but it won't load.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.