Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Top Flite Giant P-47 Build

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Top Flite Giant P-47 Build

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2016, 08:33 AM
RWHorton

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The cloth is not the heavy part of glassing, it's the resin. Thin the resin a little, and get as much out as you can, squeegee as much as possible out. I then use walmart cheep primer to finish and wet sand that down. Makes for a durable, hard and fairly light finish.

Ronald
Old 01-28-2016, 10:50 AM
redbiscuits
My Feedback: (6)

Looking good Josh, keep posting pics of your progress.

Gary
Old 04-03-2016, 01:07 AM
Prekin
My Feedback: (19)

Received 78 Likes on 71 Posts

Guys, is the balsa sheeting included in this kit?
Old 04-03-2016, 04:25 AM
redbiscuits

Yes, all the sheeting is included.
Old 04-11-2016, 07:40 AM
DIVERHERB

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am building the TF GS P-47 also and was wondering if anyone knows where the landing light is located on the razor back version? I know that on the D it is toward the outer wing tip but I have not been able to locate the location or pictures for the razor back version. Thanks
Old 04-11-2016, 11:56 AM
redbiscuits

http://youtu.be/a77Exy2vQpM If anyone should know, it's Gary Prince with his Meister. Here is a video....
Old 04-11-2016, 02:27 PM
DIVERHERB

Awesome, thanks Gary appreciate the video. Now I gotta head to the Home Depot or radio shack and see what I can dig up to use for a light. I am thinking a light diode should work pretty well and be bright enough to see. Thanks again.
Old 04-11-2016, 02:42 PM
chandley43231
My Feedback: (2)

Use a toilet paper roll to soak up the excess epoxy then the epoxy with MEK the MEK evaporates will make the epoxy thin for a while and easier to paint on
Old 04-11-2016, 08:40 PM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Originally Posted by DIVERHERB
I am building the TF GS P-47 also and was wondering if anyone knows where the landing light is located on the razor back version? I know that on the D it is toward the outer wing tip but I have not been able to locate the location or pictures for the razor back version. Thanks
I find if I want some very good detail of an aircraft I look 2 places one are plastic models they have very precise and authentic details. details. 2nd I have a book with over 900 museums located in the USA and canada with every plane listed in order of type and location ... U can call any Museum and ask some one to take a couple of Pictures with a cell phone and text them to U. The publication is
Guide to over 900 air museums in USa AND CANADA 27 EDITION. U can get it. Hope this helps.www.aircraftm
useums.com
Old 06-04-2016, 08:52 PM
Ricko1

Hi All,

I have been working on this kit for a few months and all has gone well up until this point. The next step is to sheet the bottom of the wing.

I am following the instructions as to where to place the jigs that support the wing while it is being sheeted and they are a mile out. The wing was built flat and the dihedral was set right.

I have been scratching my head for an answer as to where I went wrong and did a search of this thread.

In post # 667 Mustangman40 had the same problem as myself and solved it by removing the rear mid wing jig. Now the wing sits flat in the jigs and they line up well.

Has any body else found this to be a common problem ? It is hard to believe that the kit still contains an error 4 years after it was identified.

Cheers,

Rick
Old 06-05-2016, 03:42 AM
jstyle13
My Feedback: (1)

Originally Posted by Ricko1
Hi All,

I have been working on this kit for a few months and all has gone well up until this point. The next step is to sheet the bottom of the wing.

I am following the instructions as to where to place the jigs that support the wing while it is being sheeted and they are a mile out. The wing was built flat and the dihedral was set right.

I have been scratching my head for an answer as to where I went wrong and did a search of this thread.

In post # 667 Mustangman40 had the same problem as myself and solved it by removing the rear mid wing jig. Now the wing sits flat in the jigs and they line up well.

Has any body else found this to be a common problem ? It is hard to believe that the kit still contains an error 4 years after it was identified.

Cheers,

Rick
The TF supplied jig is crap. Most people end up ditching it or modifying it so that the wing sits in there more snugly. I used the outer jigs I think, but ended up using a combination of sand/weight bags and folded towels which worked better because they were broader and had no chance of damaging or scratching the topside of the wings. Just use the jigs as a starting point and move/add/modify them or something else till the wing sits snug.

Josh
Old 06-05-2016, 04:14 AM
Ricko1

Thanks for the info Josh.
I posted this question because I wanted to make sure I didn't build a twist into the wing and stuff it up.
Old 06-05-2016, 04:35 AM
redbiscuits

I too ran into the same sort of problem you are having, the jigs are somewhat clumsy and really don't do the job as intended. I knew that I had built a straight wing, so I just managed to jig it up much the same way as Josh explained. Good Luck with your build.
Old 06-07-2016, 01:00 PM
Ricko1

Just a follow up note on this wing jig issue.

I sent an e-mail to the product support team at Top Flite and stated the problem about the jigs. I promptly received a reply that said if I moved the middle rear jig to the very trailing edge of the wing then all the jigs would fit. Problem solved . They also said they would issue a tech note advising on the issue.

Thanks for your advice guys and I will keep going with the build.

Rick
Old 06-07-2016, 03:25 PM
redbiscuits

Good deal, Glad they got back to you quickly. One of these days I'm going to build the P-51, *one of these days........
Old 08-04-2016, 06:35 PM
jstyle13

Still plugging away on my build and have finally started spraying primer. Having some trouble and would love some advice/help for anyone around on this thread still. Post can be found in the Clubhouse thread here:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/club...noob-help.html

Thanks!
Old 08-05-2016, 09:57 AM
marksp
My Feedback: (9)

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Finally pulled the trigger and ordered up the TF GS P-47 to mount my Saito FG-60R3. On the fence regarding retracts and hoping to get some guidance. Most important to me are reliability and mounting ease as I don't have a have of time/interest in custom fab work. Suggestions on which gear to go with?

Cheers
Old 08-05-2016, 01:28 PM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Originally Posted by marksp
Finally pulled the trigger and ordered up the TF GS P-47 to mount my Saito FG-60R3. On the fence regarding retracts and hoping to get some guidance. Most important to me are reliability and mounting ease as I don't have a have of time/interest in custom fab work. Suggestions on which gear to go with?

Cheers
Both of my GS TF P-47's use Robart Air Retracts. They work fine. If U abuse them it your fault no Robart.
Old 10-06-2016, 10:57 AM
jstyle13

Hey guys. Anyone got any leftover Mirce Rivets laying around I could buy off you?? My son cut up my last 2 sheets and now I'm short. I'm guessing it would be pretty pricey to order more from Mirce and was hoping someone might have an extra sheet or 2 laying around I could buy. If so, please message or email me and let me know.

Thanks

josh
[email protected]
Old 10-06-2016, 11:20 AM
hessian123

Originally Posted by jstyle13
Hey guys. Anyone got any leftover Mirce Rivets laying around I could buy off you?? My son cut up my last 2 sheets and now I'm short. I'm guessing it would be pretty pricey to order more from Mirce and was hoping someone might have an extra sheet or 2 laying around I could buy. If so, please message or email me and let me know.

Thanks

josh
[email protected]
Josh,
I don't have any spare rivets onhand, but a local source for the same kind of vinyl details is Chad Veich (Arizona). [email protected] He can probably work out a deal with you to get what you need.
Old 10-06-2016, 11:25 AM
mirce

Received 58 Likes on 29 Posts

It not be so expensive, bigger "problem" is time until you get parcel. It need about two weeks, depend of post service and custom speed.

Rivets can be sent tomorrow, let me know what to do...

www.nsmodelers.rs

Best regards

Mirce

Last edited by mirce; 10-06-2016 at 11:27 AM.
Old 11-17-2016, 07:11 AM
Thunderbolt P47
My Feedback: (3)

Mirce,

Sent you an email as I would like to purchase your full kit. Just need to know cost and how to pay. Saw the Don Rice videos and your product looks amazing on his plane.

Jeff
Old 11-17-2016, 07:22 AM
jstyle13

Originally Posted by Thunderbolt P47
Mirce,

Sent you an email as I would like to purchase your full kit. Just need to know cost and how to pay. Saw the Don Rice videos and your product looks amazing on his plane.

Jeff
I can vouch for the Mirce Kit as it is worth every penny. His rivets are top notch and better than several others I have tried. I will however offer a word of advice as I'm about 12k rivets into my build. Ditch the Orafol transfer film he sends with his kit and buy rolls of Scotch Magic tape (the green rolls) as they are MUCH easier and effective transferring the rivets to the plane. You can get 2 rows of rivets on each piece of tape you use (just use a ruler and razor to split in two). I never could get the Orafol transfer foil to get all the rivets either off or on unlike the scotch tape.
Old 11-17-2016, 07:58 AM
Thunderbolt P47
My Feedback: (3)

Originally Posted by jstyle13
I can vouch for the Mirce Kit as it is worth every penny. His rivets are top notch and better than several others I have tried. I will however offer a word of advice as I'm about 12k rivets into my build. Ditch the Orafol transfer film he sends with his kit and buy rolls of Scotch Magic tape (the green rolls) as they are MUCH easier and effective transferring the rivets to the plane. You can get 2 rows of rivets on each piece of tape you use (just use a ruler and razor to split in two). I never could get the Orafol transfer foil to get all the rivets either off or on unlike the scotch tape.
Jstyle,

How did you purchase from his site? I see he takes paypal but want to confirm.

Thanks in advance Jeff
Old 11-17-2016, 08:17 AM
mirce

Received 58 Likes on 29 Posts

Hello, here I am...

Thank you Jeff for interesting about my products.

For TF P 47 I can offer few sets:

- Mirce Finish set
- Detail set
- Extra rivets set
- Paint masc for stars and bars

For every set on my web site ( www.nsmodelers.rs ) you can find description and price.

In few words, Mirce Finish set is for panel lines, 15.000 rivets are enough to apply it near panel lines and you will get more than 750 dummy screws in three dimensions.

Detail set contains all details for fuselage, wing and tail...
Rivets, dummy screws, duz fasteners are more than enough for details in set. In this set you will get template for details on elevator or rudder also...

If you want to made surface like on real Thunderbolt, with every rivets row, you need Extra rivets set.
For Top Flite P 47 you need about 25.000 extra rivets. With 15.000 from Detail set that is enough for whole model.

I can offer Paint masc for stars and bars for fuselage and wing.

For buying all four sets I'll give 15% discount on total price.
For three sets discount is 10% and for one or two sets price is regular...

Shipping world wide is just 15,00$

Please sent me e-mail ( [email protected] ) for details about Pay Pall payment...

Thank you Josh for kind words about my products and tips for transfer foil...

Regards

Mirce

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.