Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Question

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2011, 07:00 PM
luciuswillson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question

[*][*]I have a question about building. I really want to get into building and was planning on building a trainer. Well as I got introduced to my local club and got hooked up with an instructor I bought a used avistar 60 with radio buddy box and everything else I needed to fly right away for 225.[*][*]I am now thinking now about skipping building the trainer because I own one. My question is this. I want to build the sig 4 star kit (if I can find one) as my first build. Will this kit be alright to be my first build. Thanks[/list]
Old 08-16-2011, 07:12 PM
huck1199

Default RE: Question

The 4*'s fly very well and can be a good second plane after you master the trainer. As far as being a good beginner kit I would say OK if you have patience and are willing to put the effort in. Sig kits are very good and generally not real hard to build. But it will take time and attention to detail. You may want to try a simple build first, such as the Sig Aqua Star. It is easy to build but requires the same kind of skill sets. It is cheap and can be converted to electric very easily. I fly mine off grass or snow; you don't need a lake. I usually hand launch it. This will give you the feel for building and you can decide if you enjoy this part of the hobby.
Old 08-16-2011, 07:26 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Absolutely. A 4-Star is a great first build!!!! You'll do fine with it.

Ken
Old 08-16-2011, 08:19 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The 4* is perfect. I use the 60 to teach building but one of the reasons it it's bigger, easier for my older students to see in the air. The 4* is a perfect first build and an outstanding second plane.
Old 08-17-2011, 06:31 AM
Avaiojet

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I would look for a Kaos. Built or otherwise.

Great second airplane.
Old 08-17-2011, 06:47 AM
mrbigg
My Feedback: (21)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can't go wrong with a Sig kit. Most are easy to build.
Old 08-17-2011, 07:42 AM
Rv7garage
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My 2nd (and 3rd!) kits were Sig Somethin' Extras. Wonderful laser-cut kits with everything you need, and you really get a nice finished product. The Somethin' Extra taught me a lot about building, finishing, AND flying... what a fun, durable, versatile aircraft it is!

Guess you could say I recommend the Sig Somethin' Extra [&:]
Old 08-17-2011, 08:13 AM
oldtyme

I've been building for long time and had never owned a Four Star............then the bug bit me to build a simple model and I found a Four Star. A friend of mine had said just empty the box into a bag with a jar of glue and shake it up and you'll pour out a model................well, it's not that simple but it's a relaxing simple build and the wood and cutting are excellent. Go for it............you won't be sorry...........you'll really enjoy the build.
Old 08-17-2011, 11:12 AM
SeamusG

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

SIG 4Star is an excellent 1st build and 2nd plane (low wing trainer). Plenty of build threads to review before your build. If you do a build thread you can get prompt excellent "been there done that" feedback.