Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Balsa USA 1/6 Scale Thomas-Morse S-4C Scout Build Thread

Yes, it looks unbalanced to have so much tail structure on the ends of four 3/16" x 1/4" balsa sticks. Laminating the tail surface outlines would be wise, I'm not good at it. I'm trying to resist the urge to strengthen everything. Carpentry is a bad influence, houses don't have to fly!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lj21576.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	79.4 KB 
ID:	1665652   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rm36204.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	61.7 KB 
ID:	1665653   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ca80181.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	85.8 KB 
ID:	1665654  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The fuselage top is under construction. Three liteply front formers are glued where slots are provided in the liteply crutch on top of the fuselage box . Basswood slotted blocks are glued to the fuselage top. These accept the cabane wire struts. The slots weren't quite deep enough for the wire. I found the burr on the wire end made a nice scraper for adjusting them. Three 3/16" square stringers are added. 1/64" birch plywood sheeting is laid on top and bent to the curvature. I used Elmer's Wood Glue Max on the formers, cabane blocks, and ply. The stringers were CA'd. A stack of magazines weighted the ply pretty evenly but the very bottom edges weren't pressed tight so a couple of rice bags were added. These steps sheeted the fuse top back to the front of the cockpit.
    BUSA has you sheet back to the former, sand the ply flush with the former’s back face, then laminate the second former to it. This resulted in a clean, straight plywood edge without glue gobs. Then you add the former doubler for the cockpit sheeting. I was able to lightly sand this former and get a really nice joint in the 1/64” ply.

Name:	Nl30619.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	112.9 KB 
ID:	1666794   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rp43167.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	119.6 KB 
ID:	1666795   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Yu63667.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	64.1 KB 
ID:	1666796   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bg92363.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	66.7 KB 
ID:	1666797  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ok, I'm new to rc planes, been flying for about two years now. I have covered a couple planes. I recently got a great planes p-51 kit from a friend. like i said i have never built before, so i went over to a friend of my fathers to see what all i needed to get started. Like i knew he would he helped me get what i needed to get started. But before i left he gave me a tommy that he had been working on. He has got it almost ready to cover. I have to admit i was amazed at him giving me the plane. I am in love with this plane. I have been interested in these old war birds for sometime now, so to get this plane was a true supprise. I will post some pics when i can take a few. 

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Lucky you, jdtl15! We'll be flying the Dawn Patrol before long, hopefully before winter. We've got bright yellow aspens appearing and frost every morning.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

He also gave me a magnum 52 4 stroke engine to go on it. Is it to big for this plane?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Here two formers are laminated together so one has had its center area removed for lightness.

I discovered that the bow shapes protruding through the upper wing above the cockpit are aileron horns. They are driven by push-pull rods from the control stick. They in turn operate the ailerons by way of torque rods. One of the most visible details of the airplane, they'll have to be included!

Name:	Qn38117.jpg 
Size:	75.8 KB 
ID:	1667101  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Yes. Trade it for my .40 Saito. Just kidding, it should be fine. You'll be using the throttle for gentle cruising and have "emergency boost" power to either get out of trouble or get off the ground quickly. My Astro Hog with .91 4stroke power is rarely above 1/2 throttle. The airplane balanced perfectly with it so it's not too much engine. Since the Tommy is going to need nose weight added it may as well be engine.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks for the help. I'm sure i will have a few more questions for you while I'm finishing it.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

There's a strip of 1/64 ply sheeting left to install behind the cockpit. It's cut to lay with the grain across the fuselage while the other pieces had the grain lengthwise and were easy to bend to the curve. I'm leaving this one wrapped with rubber bands around a can overnight in hope of getting it easier to work.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

here is a couple pics of my Tommy

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

1/8" square stringers complete the upper fuselage, 13 of them! No alterations were made to the formers and no stringers were broken off and repositioned, once again the parts fit looks very good.

Name:	Nl30446.jpg 
Size:	126.0 KB 
ID:	1667700   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sn40122.jpg 
Size:	145.5 KB 
ID:	1667701   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Zf87739.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	64.9 KB 
ID:	1667702  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

A cabane soldering fixture is built and drilled where the top wing will bolt on. It holds the cabane pieces in alignment for soldering so the wing isn't used and ruined. Steel straps are provided drilled and bent, you finish bending them around the cabane wires. With all metal parts prepared (washed and sanded shiny) the cabanes are slid into the fuselage. The straps are slid on the top ends and the fixture is bolted on with #6 black oxide coated bolts and blind nuts. You then stand the fuselage on its square nose and position the fixture so it is also resting on its end on the table surface. This puts the cabanes in the proper alignment. You are then instructed to carefully invert the fuselage-cabanes-fixture assembly without disturbing the alignment before soldering the straps. I couldn't see any reason to not simply solder the forward 2 straps while the fuselage was nose-down so I did. When those joints cooled the assembly was inverted with the tail supported and the rear 2 straps soldered. Now the crossed bracing wires are being tied and soldered.

This all went easily. I clamped the cabane wires together prior to assembly and found them all perfectly identical. Nice work Balsa USA!

Name:	Nk27736.jpg 
Size:	98.9 KB 
ID:	1667914   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ni24598.jpg 
Size:	63.3 KB 
ID:	1667915  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Sure is coming together fast! Looks great!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks, ARUP! We'll have snow on the high country any day, I'm hoping for some test flights before skis will be required!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

To mount the top wing the wing plans were turned over and taped in a cross on our biggest flattest table. Lines were drawn for the fuselage center line, the spar of the lower wing, and the leading edge of the top wing which is aligned with the front of the fuselage. A bag of lead held the fuselage down. A centerline was drawn on the top wing leading edge halfway from tip to tip. With everything aligned the top wing was marked through the hole in one of the cabane straps. The wing was then drilled, mounted to the cabanes with that bolt and blind nut, and the rest of the holes drilled while checking the alignment after each hole was made. This took awhile but went smoothly. With all holes made they'll now be enlarged to take the blind nuts. You use them upside down during the alignment process then install them when it's done.

Name:	Qn38633.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	81.7 KB 
ID:	1668273   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Xs58012.jpg 
Size:	69.3 KB 
ID:	1668274   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ty65328.jpg 
Size:	66.7 KB 
ID:	1668275   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hb80645.jpg 
Size:	67.6 KB 
ID:	1668276  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

here's the basic parts stacked up. it's a motivational exercise, lots of sanding has been deferred and now's the time for it.

Name:	ge96244.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	1.96 MB 
ID:	1668703   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	je10445.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	1.76 MB 
ID:	1668704   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	di98690.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	1.03 MB 
ID:	1668705  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Looks good. What colors u thinking of going with? I'm thinking of going with green instead of the blue and yellow. been looking on internet for pics of the original plane.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks, jdtl15! I haven't decided. Getting late, I know. What occurred to me today was...could the Navy trainer fly off snow with the scale floats?
    I like the Navy scheme's bright colors but it sure looks like what you'd see in flight would be only the yellow and the roundels. A light gray underside and pale blue top are designed to disappear in the sky. I'll probably use the Signal Corps olive.
    This guy's Tommy http://www.wwi-models.org/Images/Landon/TMorse/ from the Guillows kit gives me serious feelings of inadequacy but then, we're building to FLY, right?
    Here's an amazing .60-size ARF, wonder if it ever hit the U.S. market: http://www.vintage-aerodrome.com/Manuals/Morse_S4C.pdf
    BTW, the balance looked pretty decent with the engine in.
    I've ordered 1mm carbon rod hoping to fashion the tail surface control lines from it. I'm thinking of pull-pull cables of Spectra kite line. I've used it on several other models, it doesn't stretch. I'm hoping they can exit the fuselage at the scale locations. I'm thinking of double control horns made of Formica possibly and the carbon lines running from the tips of the horns to the control surfaces at the scale locations.
    I haven't done any scale modeling and am realizing these plans should have been made before starting construction.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

You are at a perfectly good point to do your pull-pull controlsplenty of access and opportunity to add necessary pieces. On my BUSA DH-4 I put pull-pull on all the surfaces and used G-10 for the horns. Same concept as you have with formica. Fortunately I had access to a water jet cutter and was able to get the holes in exactly the desired spot. Several years ago when I built the BUSA Dr-1 I used nylon horns on the tail surfaces. I'm not sure if they are still available, but I used horns that are left and right handed. When you put one on either side of a surface the bolt holes line up. I drilled out the #2 size molded in holes, a clearance hole on one horn and a tapped hole for 4-40 on the other. Not all that realistic looking, but very effective. Here is a photo of the water jet cut horns.

Name:	Yw68696.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	73.9 KB 
ID:	1668780  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks for the links. I was already thinking of going with the olive drab, that made my mind up. My problem now is the time to get it all done. Between coaching Pee Wee football and work, spare time for me is limited. But we only got a couple weeks left in the football season, then i will have some time for planes. Again thanks for the help.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I found a three-view drawing, actually five-view (both sides, top, bottom, front) at http://img.wp.scn.ru/camms/ar/762/pics/3_2.jpg
    When printed this drawing measured almost exactly 1:10 compared to the BUSA plans! A millimeter on the drawing equals a centimeter on the plans. So I'm using it to lay out the control cables etc.
    It depicts S4-C Scout 38633 in the olive drab coloration.
    It also shows that BUSA has extended the nose of the airplane quite a bit. It would seem impossible to balance without this alteration.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Aileron control? Since starting this Tommy the aileron servo wires have been a question; how to run them from the fuselage to the upper wing?
    Now I'm considering scale mechanical linkage, an aileron servo in the fuselage with two push-pull rods operating scale aileron horns that protrude through the wing surfaces. They operate torque tubes that drives the ailerons. This would take some rebuilding. I'm thinking the push-pull rods could be kept linked to the wing, inserted and attached at the servo at the field when assembling the airplane.
    Would carbon fiber tubes have the torsional stiffness required? Carbon seems attractive because it's light and glues well. The horns might be cut from 1/16" aluminum sheet. the push-pull rods could be bamboo, or carbon. The hinging and bearings in the ribs could be with short lengths of a larger tube. The torque tube could glue to some of these that would glue to the aileron with the rest glued to the wing.
    It...could...work!!

Name:	Yv66295.jpg 
Size:	22.3 KB 
ID:	1670851  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

My 1/5th scale does use the scale torque rod method with a servo in the fuse and it works well. However, you are pretty close to having this framed up. Is it really worth it at this stage? I think you could run the servo leads up the cabane struts and wrap them with cloth onto the struts and it would not be very noticeable.

Mine has scale nose length. It has some lead in the nose for balance, but it was not built all that light in the tail.

My VK Fokker Dr.I has these problems too. The kit has torque rods, but the original used cables, so the torque rod method is not scale on this plane anyway. I decided to go with micro servos in the wings and run the wires up the cabanes. Also, it is a rotary engined type with scale nose length, so I'm going all out to keep the tail light and put everything in or close to the nose.

My VK Nieuport 17 is also a rotary engined type and balanced fine with a 40 size diesel and the battery in a box in front of the firewall. No extra nose weight at all.

Your frames look very nice.

Jim

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Greetings! Um, life has had other plans lately. We discovered a perimeter drain problem at our house which led to my breaking up some concrete and digging 35 feet of ditch and making a repair. Then I've been hired to assist in the reconstruction of this historic homesteaders' cabin. It's hard work in a gorgeous location. We need to get the roof on before winter (mid-November more or less). So time and energy have been lacking. Anyway, here are covering backing pads at the scale locations on the fuselage side where the elevator pull-pull cables will exit. Leaving the sanding of the assembled parts until now has created a blockage to progress. Doing the sanding as instructed would have been better.

Name:	Pn36543.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	64.7 KB 
ID:	1674467   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kf12175.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	161.4 KB 
ID:	1674468  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Nice work- on both projects! I helped rebuild an old log cabin many years ago. It's a lot of work but worth the experience. Not too many people can add that to their resume!!! What's the timber for the cabin? In Kentucky yellow poplar was used a lot. Some of the trees must have been absolutely huge by the size of some of the finished pieces seen in these old log homes!

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast