Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sig Kits

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Sig Kits

....and a Kadet Senior. I covered it in OLIVE DRAB !!
    "We’re retrieving the seed — then we’re done defending the humans."

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

My taildragger King Kobra ...etc
    [:@]

That's a sacrilege!!!!!! lol

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

My taildragger King Kobra is a bad-ass looking plane (it looks muscular and sinister!) and the lack of nosewheel helps to reduce the weight. With a 6-cell Lipo up front weight was an issue.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

That is what I do. Keeps it from getting squirrely on the ground. Build-up the flying speed gradually.
    Hogrider
    THINKING IS HARD WORK!!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

If you can find one, and you like them big as I do build a Morrisey Bravo. Mine has a DLE-55 and she jumps off the ground. Awesome flying bird and she lands very gently with no flaps. I have built a few kits from different manufacturers over the years and this build was fun.

Enjoy your search.

Glenn Williams
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mk26518.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	34.7 KB 
ID:	1656167   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ez83756.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	49.3 KB 
ID:	1656168   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kp34195.jpg 
Size:	39.4 KB 
ID:	1656169   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tn32423.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	26.2 KB 
ID:	1656170  
    When all else fails pull the right stick down!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

My taildragger King Kobra is a bad-ass looking plane (it looks muscular and sinister!)

Show us some pics!!!!!!!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: SeamusG

I've done 2 Somethin' Extras (working on 3rd), 2 4Star60's, Hob Bipe, LT40 and Kadet Senior. Instructions are excellent. Only problem that I've encountered has been hard / heavy balsa. Easy enough for me to visit my LHS for replacements if necessary. Ton of build threads with and without bashes. Any question that may come up during your build can be quickly resolved by the RCU fraternity. Except for Gray Beard - he's never really built anything - he's just got us all thinkin' he's God's gift to building ...

JUST KIDDIN" GENE ... HONEST [&:] Please keep your Daisy in the closet ...
    Guess I'm gonna have to keep my eye on you Gene....

Icegs, that is a great looking build thread. I am currently leaning to the 1/3 Spacewalker. Ilike the 3 piece wing. But this will probably be my Christmas present to myself so Ihave time to change my mind many, many, many times.

Thanks for all the great input fells. Iwill let you all know by way of a build thread what Iactually decide on.
    ROLL TIDE!!!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Before I got one of these new fangled cameras that deposit your pictures I had mine put on one of those funny round things you slide into your puter, don't want to do that!! I could only find photos of two SIG planes. One is a little Kaviler and the other is the small Kobra. As I recall therre is a bigger Kobra with a foam core wing. I never built that one. Both these planes were built for a racing class. You can't see the mods on the Kav and the owner wanted it covered like the one on the box, that was easy. The Kobra has a lot of mods, some you can see but most you can't. The plane was designed for a .32 as the max but this one has a Webra racing engine so the cowl area had to be built around the engine. Both planes are easy builds and perfect flying planes. I have some photos on disc of the Bravo, I didn't build it but did a complete rebuild and cover. The Bravo really is a nice plane if you can locate the kit. Mine used a G-38 for power.

Name:	Nk28166.jpg 
Size:	151.1 KB 
ID:	1656269   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pk30523.jpg 
Size:	129.4 KB 
ID:	1656270  
    Drinking and driving are illegal, why do bars have parking lots
    Daisy Air Guns, keeping kids off your lawn for 100 years

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I have built several Sig kits over the years and don't recall any problems. Couldn't tell you if their customer service is good or bad.......never had to use it.

Would love to see a limited production run of the Bravo.

rv9-a

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

YAK-18 P/PM rare indeed! this past week i decided to start on this Sig PLane. super nice. will be a great flyer with a dle-20 or even a new 17 size engine [rail mounted]. don

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Gray Beard

ORIGINAL: LargeScale88

I have built the Hog Bipe, SSE, kadet lt40, Kadet Mark II, 1/4 Spacewalker, and a 4 star 40. I have no bad things to say about them. The instructions, plans, and quality of the kit is just awsome.

I guess there was one little thing wrong. On my LT-40, some of the die cut wing ribs were die crunched, but a quick call and 2 days of waiting fixed that real easy.

The SSE kit by far is the best engineered and easiest to assemble in my opinoin. All laser cut, nice hardware package, and great plans and instruction manual makes it great for a beginner also.

Good Luck in choosing!

Jason
    Did you happen to get the LT 40 during the time SIG was having a lot of problems before they sold out? Dies have a life span and manufactures tend to use them sometimes way past there usefulness. That last CG Cub I built the die cutting was so bad even running the parts through the over head sander wasn't a lot of help. SIG usually has no problem but once in a while??

I would say this is a good 6 years ago. I'm not sure when they sold out, they may have just forgotten to change the die blade.

Besides the wing ribs that were die crunched, everything else was perfect as far as die cutting goes.

Jason

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

One thing I dislike about Sig kits though is when it comes to hatches. On the SSE and Hog Bipe I built, the plans don't call for a hatch to get at your gas tank, so unless the builder modifys it, your tank is in there for good. So when it comes time to replace the clunk and lines in the tank, what are you going to do?

I simply modified both planes to have a hatch so I could get easy access to the tank. Guess what, I still stayed between the weight range specified on the plans! They usually don't do hatches because of weight but I haven't had a problem yet.

Jason

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Glenn, that's a super nice looking Bravo. i did love mine years back. g-38. don

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: RCER88

If you have a need for speed go with a Sig King Kobra. Put a good 61 on it with a tuned pipe and retracts and you have a very fun airplane. I fly mine with a Rossi 61 RE. After over five years of flying it is in rework getting retracts and new covering. This time fiberglass and paint.
    I second that! I have a Kobra with an OS 61 and spring air retacts. Flys like it is on rails. I have been flying it for over 10 years andI have never got bored with it.
    Sig Brotherhood #111

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: LargeScale88

One thing I dislike about Sig kits though is when it comes to hatches. On the SSE and Hog Bipe I built, the plans don't call for a hatch to get at your gas tank, so unless the builder modifys it, your tank is in there for good. So when it comes time to replace the clunk and lines in the tank, what are you going to do?

I simply modified both planes to have a hatch so I could get easy access to the tank. Guess what, I still stayed between the weight range specified on the plans! They usually don't do hatches because of weight but I haven't had a problem yet.

Jason
    I can't recall, if ever, getting a kit that shows you hatches. I think it's up to the builder. I have cut or widened some formers to allow the fuel tanks to slide in and out then attached strings to them so I could pull them out. Others I have just mounted the tank where I could get at it like over the CG in the wing bay if I'm using a pumped engine. I have been called the hatch king by more then one friend. Mater of fact the topic came up Tuesday by my friend I just built the Cub for. Due to him using a .91FS on a 40 size plane I had to mount things aft in the fuse so the plane needed hatches so you could get at things like servos. The fuse knock outs make easy hatches.
    Drinking and driving are illegal, why do bars have parking lots
    Daisy Air Guns, keeping kids off your lawn for 100 years

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

hi
    this is the original Sig Ugly Stik kit (kraft built the first of this kind of plane as a test bed for his radios )-has to be one of the most relaxed days at the flying field-,an outstandingly forgiving plane this one is 20 plus years old and has 5-600 flights on here ,wore out an engine or two , that is the second wing done in silk and dope -that now has anheadral, it flies best this way with much less control coupling-,she has been recovered 3 times with film when film would no longer adhear to the fuse ( i had to get creative )-,i striped it and coated the fuse with sigment- glue (comes in a tube ) to fuel proof the balsa wood ,it has been totally restored 4 times now in the 20 years i do not think i ever will not have a 40 and 60 size stik ready to fly , they are a great second plane and keepers for sure
    she is so ugly she attracts a lot of attention at the field -,great fun to fly ! !
    thats my Sig story-they make a great products
    best regards tony

Name:	Ge96377.jpg 
Size:	80.3 KB 
ID:	1656310   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dy78623.jpg 
Size:	77.1 KB 
ID:	1656311   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Us52550.jpg 
Size:	84.5 KB 
ID:	1656312  
    \" The power and performance glo fuel , 15 % Morgan Omega \"

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

King Kobra's:

Name:	Hf10049.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	84.8 KB 
ID:	1656377   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ez83964.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	88.2 KB 
ID:	1656378   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Wb76335.jpg 
Size:	80.6 KB 
ID:	1656379   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	At55065.jpg 
Size:	88.4 KB 
ID:	1656380  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: icegs

Smith Miniplane!

I love mine. It has no bad habits, looks great, a always gets attention at the field. Have a look at this thread for a bunch of build pictures and a bunch of finished ones. Don't take the comments about bad ground handling too seriously; mine's as gentle as can be.
    Hey icegs, you have dredged up my Miniplane thread! I really enjoyed that build, and the bird still flies to this day... and does get a lot of attention at the field. Back then my RCU handle was flycfii.

Having built two Somethin' Extra kits, the Miniplane, and currently covering a 1/5-scale Sig Cub, allow me to throw in my recommendation for Sig products as well. Some of their kits are more work than a person may be used to, but in the end are very satisfying and rewarding! [8D]
    #26 Club Saito (2) FA-62's, FA-90TS, FA-120R3, FA-125a
    -Glowhead Brother #2 -

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

It's a good thread. Lots in there.

I don't know why mine seems docile and nobody else finds that with a Miniplane. Maybe it's the way I fly it; maybe it's the relatively light weight, mine came out to just under 5.5lbs. I have a 46AX and 11x6 prop. More power or 4-strokes will definitely make it go left if you pour the power on. It's built exactly to the plan with the exception of adding some tri-stock on the gear mounts.

I'd like to see others fly, but that might not be too likely. I've only seen one other one at the field, but it didn't fly because of engine problems.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Nothing flys like a sig 1/4 scale cub.
    Put you a 91 four stroke in it and slip & slide all day long.
    R.L.
    cub brother #31
    sig brother #86
    Beware of the educated moron

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The SIG 1/5 Cub is similar in construction to the airplanes you've built. That'd be a nice one.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

WOW cool plane! That one just made my build list! Let the search begin!
    Bill.
    It is always better to be under the gun, than in front of it!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I'm biased towards Sig.
    Sig Kadet Brotherhood #1
    Ultra Sport Brotherhood #105

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I can't recall, if ever, getting a kit that shows you hatches.
    Both the SIG Komander and MidStar 40 have factory hatches for the fuel tanks.

OD...that King Cobra does look formidable with it's conventional gear!

I've been wanting to build a King Cobra...have a nice OS Max .61 SF long stroke, still new, sitting in the box waiting to go on one...one of these days. Would put a set of the new electric retracts on it.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

One thing I'm going to do new when I build this MidStar 40 is glass the entire fusealge, wing tips and LE's...I have several yards of 3/4 oz fibreglass to use and don't want to let it go to waste!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast