Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Royal/Marutaka Spitfire 60 size

Old 09-20-2011, 02:08 PM
jhunter
My Feedback: (20)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Royal/Marutaka Spitfire 60 size

A question for you experienced Royal kit builders, or should I say "carvers". On the wing instructions it says to pin the spar to the table and using scrap balsa, block it up under W-6 thru the tip. Now, it says, " The amount of needed block height can be measured by laying a straight edge along the bottom of the wing front view and measuring it". OK, that works out to block heights of 2 3/16 under W6 all the way up to 3 3/4 under the tip. The wing is supposed to have 4" diehderal on both sides. Does this sound right? Am I missing something? That is a lot of shimming under a 3/8 spar before any ribs are attached. It also says to draw centerlines on the same ribs so they can be parallel to the table. So I guess it sounds sorta right. With the spar pinned down at the root, it should give the wing the proper Spit taper profile, I think, dunno, what do you builders think?
Old 09-20-2011, 02:36 PM
smithcreek
My Feedback: (25)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Royal/Marutaka Spitfire 60 size

I think they mean when just building one half of the wing, place a straight edge along the straight section of the bottom main spar then measure how much the spar bends upwards at the last rib. You're probably talking about 1/4" or so. This is just so the taper in the wing doesn't all end up on the bottom. I'm building the Royal P-26 and I glued all the ribs before the bend to the top and bottom spar, then weighted the panel down, blocked it to the right height withe the ribs in place on the spars then glued them.
Old 09-20-2011, 03:31 PM
jhunter
My Feedback: (20)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Royal/Marutaka Spitfire 60 size

Thanks SmithCreek, that sounds and looks much better, now the shims will start at 1/16 and go to 3/8 under the spar at the tip. You know how you can spend too much time staring at something till you can screw it up? that's me! Thanks again.
Old 12-19-2018, 12:12 PM
arne.lyngstad@online.no

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I am looking for a building manual for the Marutaka Spitfire mk 8 K-No. 11.(Wingspan 1637 mm) I have building plans but not the manual. Any luck here?
Old 01-15-2019, 07:31 PM
Klaatu
My Feedback: (4)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

If you have the plans, you probably have as much of a building manual that exists. I will try to take a look at my kit soon, but I am not remembering a manual as such. If I recall correctly, the Ki61 Hein plans are much more detailed than the Spitfire plans with some actual instructions on the third sheet. I have those in PDF. PM me with an address that will accept a 1.5MB email and I will send the Hein plans to you.
The best thing for building a decent scale model starting with a Marutaka / Royal kit is to get a couple those "in action" or "in detail" series of books on the plane you are building. If you are not much worried about scale, the old way was described as, glue up all of the blocks and sand off any bits that do not look like the plane. . Either way, aggressive attention to weight saving while not compromising structure is very important.