Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Degrees into inches

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Degrees into inches

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2011, 07:41 PM
DavidAgar
My Feedback: (108)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Degrees into inches

I have a Carl Goldberg Ultimate Bipe and the control throws are all listed in degrees and for the life of me I cannot figure how to convert degress into inches. The elevtor is 10 to 12 degrees. What does that work out to in inches? Thanks for yoru help, Dave
Old 09-21-2011, 08:03 PM
ByLoudDesign

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Degrees into inches

Dave, they make a lot of good devices for setting up control surface throw, why the need to know the length of the throw? You can get a compass at Wally World and use this. Doing it with a travel distance would b the hard way!
Old 09-21-2011, 08:43 PM
raydar

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

You would need to use the length of each surface to calculate the throw in degree. I would go buy a protractor myself for a dollar at the stationery store.
Old 09-21-2011, 09:52 PM
Chasing Fear
My Feedback: (1)

Buy one? Why waste the money ... [link=http://www.ossmann.com/protractor/]print one![/link]

-Al
Old 09-22-2011, 04:15 AM
cstevenpeterson
My Feedback: (21)

Dave,

Measure the length of the control surface - perpendicular to the hingeline (front to back), multiply this by the sin of the angle and that will give you the deflection in inches at the control surface edge. For tapered control surfaces this will vary as you move inboard to outboard....

sin 10 = .1736
sin 12 = .2079

For a 1 inch length at 10 deg, the deflection will be .1736" or about 11/64"

Hope this helps.

Steve
Old 09-22-2011, 04:30 AM
ARUP

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sin theta = opposite/adjacent. That's all you need to know to figure any angle, any time, anywhere.
Old 09-22-2011, 05:15 AM
cstevenpeterson

ORIGINAL: ARUP

Sin theta = opposite/adjacent. That's all you need to know to figure any angle, any time, anywhere.
Not trying to be picky, but - Slight correction: sin theta = opposite/hypotenuse
tan theta = opposite/adjacent
For small angles they will be close to each other but we might as well get it right.

Maybe we need one of Minnflyer's graphical simulations.....
Old 09-22-2011, 06:11 AM
hugger-4641
My Feedback: (6)

Here's a quick and dirty method that I use, gets close enough.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Qo40441.pdf (32.6 KB, 85 views)
Old 09-22-2011, 06:15 AM
hugger-4641

let's try again with the pic rotated!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Ca80256.pdf (32.6 KB, 60 views)
Old 09-22-2011, 06:37 AM
hugger-4641

Well, sorry, no matter what I do the pic will not stay rotated when I save it. If you have adobe you should be able to rotate it when you open it. I used 1 1/2" for the elevator dimension, just substitute what ever your dimension isand you should get close enough, just remember that if you measure from the top surface of your stab , measure to the top surface of the elevator trailing edge and not the bottom or your angle will not be correct.
Old 09-22-2011, 07:11 AM
jaka

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi!
Why bother with meassuring trows....I don't!
Just go with what you are used to do before! This isn't rocket science you know...!
Most planes need just one or two centimeter trow meassured at the back of each flying surface, except rudder where you use as much trow as you can.
After the first flight ask yourself if you are sattiesfied with the planes behavoir and trim it if needed. It's very important that the C of g is changed so that trows can be minimized as much as possible,that means moving servos, batteries and other things as far rearward as possible.
Don´t complicate thing that don´t need to be complicated!
Old 09-22-2011, 09:13 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Just use the TLAR method
Old 09-22-2011, 12:24 PM
stevenmax50

ORIGINAL: jaka

Hi!
Why bother with meassuring trows....I don't!
Just go with what you are used to do before! This isn't rocket science you know...!
Most planes need just one or two centimeter trow meassured at the back of each flying surface, except rudder where you use as much trow as you can.
After the first flight ask yourself if you are sattiesfied with the planes behavoir and trim it if needed. It's very important that the C of g is changed so that trows can be minimized as much as possible,that means moving servos, batteries and other things as far rearward as possible.
Don´t complicate thing that don´t need to be complicated!
Iagree completly. Ihave never measured the throw on a model. Ijust make sure Ihave as much as the servo will give me. Then Iuse my rates to bring it down, if needed.
Old 09-22-2011, 12:35 PM
MinnFlyer

ORIGINAL: stevenmax50

Then I use my rates to bring it down, if needed.
Bad policy. You should use the Tx to make small adjustments only. Larger adjustments should be made mechanically
Old 09-22-2011, 01:41 PM
golf4two

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: raydar

You would need to use the length of each surface to calculate the throw in degree. I would go buy a protractor myself for a dollar at the stationery store.
It's pretty difficult to measure a two degree dihedral on a 60 inch wing with such a small device. Or even a one or two degree engine offset.....
And at the ripe old age of 70 and not an engineering type, I've forgotten all of that High School math.

Sure would be nice if someone would post a simple formula (substituting the numeric value for Pie, sin, etc.) or a spreadsheet formula that we could all use for various purposes. I for one would really appreciate something like that.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can do that,
=Rick=
Old 09-22-2011, 01:57 PM
ARUP

ORIGINAL: cstevenpeterson

ORIGINAL: ARUP

Not trying to be picky, but - Slight correction: sin theta = opposite/hypotenuse
tan theta = opposite/adjacent
For small angles they will be close to each other but we might as well get it right.

Maybe we need one of Minnflyer's graphical simulations.....
Ooops! You are correct! Thanks cstevenpeterseon! See- I can admit mistakes, too! MinnFlyer- can you just tape a pointer stick to TE of control surface and measure pointer on degreed arc that you printed from internet thanks to a great suggestion above?
Old 09-22-2011, 04:18 PM
hook57

ORIGINAL: hugger-4641
let's try again with the pic rotated!
Bingo! Especially for TLAR. Better yet, no need to even do Rx2 (R=the control surface average chord), just do chord times pi and divide by 180. Works out the same and saves a step! No need for a protractor, calculator, or trig tables (old school). Been doing it for years and like Minn says, it always "TLAR"!

hook
Old 09-22-2011, 05:36 PM
stevenmax50

ORIGINAL: MinnFlyer

ORIGINAL: stevenmax50

Then Iuse my rates to bring it down, if needed.
Bad policy. You should use the Tx to make small adjustments only. Larger adjustments should be made mechanically
Iprobably need to explain that better. After all the mechanical settings are correct for full throw, Iwill then use either high or low rates, based on how much response I want. Truth is I almost always fly at high rate ailerons. I may chose low for elevators during takeoff. Ido not as yet fly a plane that Ireally want to vary the rate on very much. Iagree that you hafta use the TX for small trim adjustments. My high rate setting is real close to full throw.
Old 09-22-2011, 08:15 PM
Lnewqban

ORIGINAL: golf4two

...........Sure would be nice if someone would post a simple formula (substituting the numeric value for Pie, sin, etc.) or a spreadsheet formula that we could all use for various purposes. I for one would really appreciate something like that.

=Rick=
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=8638384
Old 09-23-2011, 04:40 AM
Top_Gunn

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: golf4two

ORIGINAL: raydar

It's pretty difficult to measure a two degree dihedral on a 60 inch wing with such a small device. Or even a one or two degree engine offset.....
And at the ripe old age of 70 and not an engineering type, I've forgotten all of that High School math.

Sure would be nice if someone would post a simple formula (substituting the numeric value for Pie, sin, etc.) or a spreadsheet formula that we could all use for various purposes. I for one would really appreciate something like that.

=Rick=
At a distance of one inch from the origin, a line that rises at an angle of one degree from the origin will be 17/1000 of an inch high. Knowing that, it's easy to calculate the figures you need for any number of degrees and for any length of line (which, in your case, would be the width of your elevator, rudder, or aileron). If you don't like inches, this formula works in any other unit.
Old 09-23-2011, 04:52 AM
MinnFlyer

ORIGINAL: DavidAgar

The elevtor is 10 to 12 degrees.
Ok, this will make the TLAR Principle a little easier...

This is 11 degrees
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv64049.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	7.7 KB
ID:	1665599  
Old 09-23-2011, 01:33 PM
stevenmax50

If I have to do math homework I quit.
Old 09-23-2011, 02:21 PM
fredsedno

Gentlemen, One degree equals .018 [.01745 sine of 1degree] drop or increase per inch. Example:aileron2"wide moving up or down 10* would travel 11/32"
Dihederal of 3*on a 60" wing would equal- .0174X60=1.047" or .523" per side. On the models we build just multiply the lengthx.020x# of degrees desired. Close enough.
fredsedno
Old 09-24-2011, 06:21 AM
LesUyeda
Banned

fredsedno

When I learned math, a number less that 5 rounds DOWN. i.e., .0174 = .017, not .018:-)))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

Les
Old 09-24-2011, 07:55 AM
hugger-4641

Fredsedno is correct, he rounded from the hundred thousandth's position. 0.01745 would round up to 0.018. Regardless, I always round up an extra 1/16" when setting throws.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.