Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Pre paint cleaning.

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Pre paint cleaning.

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2011, 10:36 AM
TCraft Lover
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pre paint cleaning.

I'm finally getting ready to paint my Smith Miniplane. It's been sitting for nearly 2 years due some family issues but now I'm ready to finish the painting. (Plastic parts are painted)It is covered with Koverall and sealed with Minwax Poly-Crylic. I an going to use Rustoleum paint from a rattle can and the overcoat that with Nelsons PU. What should I use to effectively clean this surface before painting? It isn't particularly dirty. It's just been sitting forquite a spell.
Any input would be appreciated
Old 09-29-2011, 05:31 PM
SunDevilPilot

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Pre paint cleaning.

ORIGINAL: TCraft Lover

I'm finally getting ready to paint my Smith Miniplane. It's been sitting for nearly 2 years due some family issues but now I'm ready to finish the painting. (Plastic parts are painted) It is covered with Koverall and sealed with Minwax Poly-Crylic. I an going to use Rustoleum paint from a rattle can and the overcoat that with Nelsons PU. What should I use to effectively clean this surface before painting? It isn't particularly dirty. It's just been sitting for quite a spell.
Any input would be appreciated
I would probably start with a tack cloth (Or several) to remove all the dust.. Then I would use some grease and wax remover specifically made for painting to remove what the tack cloth leaves behind. Then you should be ready for paint.

SunDevilPilot
Old 09-29-2011, 10:08 PM
TCraft Lover

Thanks SDP,
My fear is a reaction between my prepaint cleaner,wheather it's prepsol or denatured alcohol, and the Poly-crylic I used to seal the covering.

Old 09-30-2011, 03:42 AM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

Somthing mild like denatured alcohol shouldn't hurt it,, now you hit it with paint/lacquer thinner you'll have some softening issues. But like always test it in an area you wont see. Take a few drops and rub it in with you finger,, if it starts to soak in and get soft you'll know pretty quick.

But really if it's just dusty, not greese/wax etc., I'd hit it with some windex and paint it

good luck
Old 09-30-2011, 03:54 AM
sensei

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Always clean the surface with Pre-Kleano, then tack and spray, it's that simple...

Bob
Old 09-30-2011, 03:57 AM
TCraft Lover

Scale-
Thanx, I'll check a spot on the bottom. I'll try denatured alcohol and see if it softens. It's been handled a lot over the past couple years so there's probably a lot of finger oil on it. thanks again, Dave
Old 09-30-2011, 05:20 PM
Avaiojet

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Wear surgical gloves, while handling the model, from now to completion.

Old 09-30-2011, 05:48 PM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 176 Likes on 151 Posts

I would just wash it with a sponge and a solution of Dawn dish soap and water then strait water on the sponge. As Avaiojet stated, latex gloves are a good idea. Rustolium is pretty forgiving paint and as lomg as you don't have any oil staining you shouldn't have any issues.
Old 10-01-2011, 04:19 AM
TCraft Lover

I like the ideas of the surgicalglovesand Dawn/water wash. No muss fuss or solvent fumes. The wife and boy are going away for a while this weekend so maybe I can actually get at it.
Thanks for the great thoughts and tips.
Dave

ORIGINAL: speedracerntrixie

I would just wash it with a sponge and a solution of Dawn dish soap and water then strait water on the sponge. As Avaiojet stated, latex gloves are a good idea. Rustolium is pretty forgiving paint and as lomg as you don't have any oil staining you shouldn't have any issues.
Old 10-01-2011, 08:05 AM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

It sounds like your going to use spray cans but if you read the label on most paint cans they state what to thin the paint with. That's what I use to clean a plane before painting. My problems with painting has never been getting it to stick, it's the lack of talent and design on my part. Give me a spray gun and I cn really screw up a good plane.
Old 10-01-2011, 08:54 AM
TCraft Lover

Greybeard,
I consider myselfTto beadequate to above average at many endeavors. however, painting IS NOT ONE OF THEM!!
Thanks for your input.
Dave
ORIGINAL: Gray Beard

It sounds like your going to use spray cans but if you read the label on most paint cans they state what to thin the paint with. That's what I use to clean a plane before painting. My problems with painting has never been getting it to stick, it's the lack of talent and design on my part. Give me a spray gun and I cn really screw up a good plane.
Old 10-02-2011, 07:44 AM
sensei

Go to any quality body and paint shop and ask the professionals what they would recommend to clean a surface with just prior to paint, they will tell you (Pre-Kleano). So why screw around. Never start vast projects with half vast ideas... Just saying.

Bob
Old 10-02-2011, 08:47 AM
TCraft Lover

If projects were never started because of an uncertain outcome we'd still be riding horses.
Old 10-02-2011, 10:09 AM
sensei

If projects were never started because of an uncertain outcome we'd still be riding horses.
These are not the times of the horse and buggy my friend. LOL. There is plenty of very good and sound information available before starting projects. All you need to do is your home work and weed out the BS from pure facts that are both available in these threads, take the time to check out credentials of folks posting information before following someones advice and making a mess out of your own project.

Bob
Old 10-02-2011, 11:16 AM
TCraft Lover

Yeah, sometimes the pure facts are difficult to cull but generally BS is pretty easy to read.
Old 10-02-2011, 05:26 PM
sensei

Yeah, sometimes the pure facts are difficult to cull but generally BS is pretty easy to read.
From my vantage point, it doesn't appear to be so far...

Bob