Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

The right kit for me?

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

The right kit for me?

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2011, 02:42 PM
crazy nick
My Feedback: (29)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default The right kit for me?

I am an intermediate pilot that has flown nothing but arfs for 6 years now. This winter I was thinking of trying a kit. First of all planes I flew alot are , Hobbico 60 trainer, Hanger 9 twist 40, hanger 9 showtime 50, and a kangke waco upf-7 biplane. Now I like to fly inverted , snaprolls, flatspins, cuban 8, and my favorite the knifes edge. I'm looking for an easy kit 40-60 size that can fly pretty much like a pattern plane with a little more. I looked at Top Flite Contender , but ailerons and rudder are a little on the small side. My favorite plane is the showtime so an easy midwing kit would be perfect, but I have no idea what kits are easy and which are bears. Please I need some options to start with.
Old 10-09-2011, 02:52 PM
TCraft Lover
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: The right kit for me?

Sig Mfg. makes an excellent kit, although I hear they have had trouble getting them built. The Kouger and King Cobra are pattern like fliers which feature sheeted foam wing cores rather than built up design. They are excellent aircraft and the company can use all the business it can get.
Old 10-09-2011, 03:36 PM
DaveB

Take a look at the Sig "Something Extra". It's a good choice for your first kit and a good flier to boot.

DaveB
Old 10-09-2011, 04:07 PM
jp_boud
My Feedback: (2)

My first build was the Contender (yellow and white), I love the way it flies, but yes, ailerons and rudder are a bit small. I should have gone with my gut and just built them a little bigger (changed the shape a little) and it would be much more aggresive. The speed is there for sure. My second build was a Great planes Ultra Sport .60 (red and white). Kit is available at Tower. Awesome plane right from the box, and not that difficult of a build at all. I'm waiting on my next challenge to show up. A plans build called Climax Delta. I have no idea how that's going to turn out!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd90877.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	96.0 KB
ID:	1671836   Click image for larger version

Name:	So42492.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	98.3 KB
ID:	1671837  
Old 10-09-2011, 05:01 PM
tomfiorentino

I would look at a Tiger 60. There are numerous threads on it here on RCU. Very easy build with a standard wing construction and the fuse is a piece of cake to get really straight.

Great, great kit and a rel nice flyer. It's fully aerobatic, super in knife edge flight and just about everything else. Great with a four stroke and I have one with the new OS 65AX.

Good luck!

Tom
Old 10-10-2011, 03:33 AM
crazy nick

Well narrowed it down to sig somethin extra and tiger 60, think im gonna go w/ the sig, thanks to all w/ your opinions.
Nick
Old 10-10-2011, 05:01 AM
raydar

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I second the somethin extra, reasonably large control surfaces, comes out pretty light, will hover on a irvine 53 and a simple build with idiot proof instruction manual if you have never built a kit before.
Old 10-10-2011, 05:04 AM
FlyingPilgrim
My Feedback: (26)

How about GP Extra 300 .60 size? GP Kits are well designed and instructions make them good for first time builders.
Old 10-10-2011, 07:53 AM
tomfiorentino

I had a Goldberg and Great Planes extra....flyingpilgrim is right to suggest these as well; and those are very capable airplanes. Way beyond the Somethin xtra and Tiger 60 in my opinion though.

I also liked the constuction and overall build of the Goldberg kit much, much better, and I like the proportions of it better too. The thin plywood turtle deck of the fuse is probably a little tricky to build. But really straight forward beyond that.

The Great Planes I did not like, I like their kits generally, but I just did not like this one. The wing bolts from the bottom and is a real goo trap, and I had a terrible time with the landing gear being very weak.

But I just prefer the mid-wing extra. I'll spare you the bad luck details of the aforementioned extras, but my 50cc Extra 260 has been treating me very well.

Good luck!

Tom
Old 10-10-2011, 09:38 AM
optech
My Feedback: (9)

Don't discount the Goldberg Chipmunk either.

A very nice looking scale plane. Only a little harder to build than the Tiger 60 in that you'll have to assemble and paint the cowl and cockpit/canopy. Flies like its on rails too. Buy some balsa and make the ailerons a little wider and it can be really wild.

Would be a good second kit to the Somethin Extra.

Mike
Old 10-10-2011, 02:16 PM
crazy nick

Looked at sig somethin extra, GP 300s, goldberg superchipmunk, GP ultrasport, Top Flite contender, goldberg tiger. Now I have a headache and still can't decide , soon I'll print a picture of them all and throw a dart lol. I have a week till I order so just gonna wait and see, but my gut keeps telling me to go w/ the sig somethin extra. I understand it's not on the top for aerobatics but that can be a good relaxing Sunday flier for me. Plus my wife actually said she liked it, which she NEVER says lol
Old 10-10-2011, 02:29 PM
JNorton
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just my opinion but a Sig Somethin Extra will flat outfly a Goldberg Tiger II or 60. The Sig is very easy to build also.
John
Old 10-10-2011, 02:48 PM
crazy nick

will a K&B .61 fit in the sig? All the older fellas at my old club swore on these things.
Old 10-10-2011, 03:02 PM
smkrcflyer

Great planes Ultra Sport .60 is a good kit and you have lots of options. Take a look at this;

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_68...tm.htm#6822225
Old 10-10-2011, 04:33 PM
SeamusG

Between the SIG Somethin' Extra (SSE) and a GP Extra 300S kit - 1st kit THE SIG!!!! I've built 3 SSEs and am currently building a GP Extra 300S. In fact, I started the Extra, had an issue requiring parts, cleaned the board, built and maidened the SSE and am now back on the Extra build. The Extra requires that you have some build experience as it is die cut (DC) and the joined wings are tapered front to rear (chord) and top to bottom using flimsy stand offs. Ya need to have a clue to get it right.

The SSE flight characteristics? Giggles-n-grins. Fly it slow. Fly it fast. Fly it on low rates and stay ahead of the plane. Fly it on hi rates and try to catch up.