Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Covering company?

Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Covering company?

Old 10-16-2011, 04:40 AM
crazy nick
My Feedback: (29)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Covering company?

Could I get some opinions on what company covering you prefer and why? I had a hanger 9 showtime 50 which the colors were great but the ultracote over ultracote did not fair well. Everywhere there was a detail stripe (covering on covering)it peeled off. Is this common with all companies or was it just that I got a fluke? Just curious what companies are descent ? I only know of monocote , ultracote, oracote and econocote. Please let me know your experiences, thanks in advance.
Old 10-16-2011, 06:26 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: Covering company?

Sounds like you got a fluke. Ultracote is my favorite, but with any ARF you should go over the covering with an iron before flying the first flight (or more accurately: running the engine for the first time)
Old 10-16-2011, 08:26 AM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

That's the world of ARFs. I try to only use Ultra on my own planes. It sticks as well as any other covering, after I put my planes out in the hot sun a few times and re shrink it then it doesn't sag and wrinkle any longer when I go flying. I use an iron on low heat to put down my trim then go over the edges with a hot trim iron and nothing ever lifts. Any covering is only as good as it was put on. I switched years ago to Ultra from mono due to the problems mono has sense they changed there formula. I just like ultra a bunch better. ARFs, you get what you pay for. Sometimes they are a bit better then other times. They also go through a lot to get to this country and tend to suffer a bit.
Old 10-16-2011, 11:26 AM
crazy nick

Ultracote it is then, minnflyer,aren't you the one that did the videos on how to cover? If so thank you so much, easier to learn something like that from a video, than explanation. Also I figured the problem I had before because it was an arf. Thank you guys for the responses.
Nick
Old 10-16-2011, 11:27 AM
SeamusG

I have a Hanger 9 ShowTime 50 too. They (the overseas mfg) use some technique that uses low temps to apply their trim. This activates the Ultracote's adhesive just enough to stick to the base covering and look good. Several of the trim stripes came loose like yours. I used a standard iron at 250 degrees to reattach the trim - using a temperature that fully activates the adhesive.

Old 10-16-2011, 11:55 AM
crazy nick

SeamusG
loved my showtime, unfortunately it tried to go through a tree, didn't fair well at all, makes sense about the covering, they probably try to bang the planes out as fast asi possible
Old 10-16-2011, 07:23 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Yes Nick, I did those videos. Glad you found them helpful