Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

AMR Twin Stick

I got this kit a few weeks ago and got it started. Thought I'd pass on what I did to modify it. There is a thread on the AMR Giant Stick which gives all the details on the build. The Twin Stick is the Giant Stick with a few mods to stuff a couple of nacelles in the wings. The build is no big deal, typical of AMR you pull apart all the laser parts, throw a bottle of glue in the box and shake, out comes a plane. If you haven't built any of their kits you should take a serious look at them. I've built three of them.

The plan of attack on this build;

Convert to tricycle gear. I hate twins with a tail wheel, never can seem to get them to go straight down the runway.
    Remove the flaps and use full strip ailerons
    Use a centralized fuel tank.
    Simplify field assembly.

Equipment
    Two DLE55's
    32 oz fuel tank
    JR fail safe 9 channel
    Hitec 5645's

Started with the fuselage build. Again, standard build as the Giant Stick but I moved the gear plate so it was 1" back of the CG. Its a total guess on my part that the main gear placement shoule be slightly aft of the CG. I took the firewall and installed it per the instructions but bolted up a Fultz nose gear to it. This is where I ran into my first issue. Reading the instructions and checking the parts list I realized there was no nose cone for the twin conversion that was added to the Giant Stick kit. Kind of expected a fiberglass nose cone but guess we'll have to improvise.

The nose cone consist of a ply plate made to the same size as the firewall. The nose cone plate and firewall are placed on the drill press and 1/8" holes are bored on each corner along with one on each side. The corner holes of the nose cone plate are backed with 1/4" balsa blocks with 1/8" carbon fiber stubs glued in to each corner block. The holes on each side get a 4/40 blind nut. Using this approach the nose cone can be removed for access to the nose gear. A smaller plate is made for the front of the nose and the sides, top and bottom sheeted with 1/8" balsa sheet.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Jh15615.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	120.3 KB 
ID:	1679367   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Xs58814.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	72.3 KB 
ID:	1679368  
    Longmont Aircraft Modelers Association
    Longmont, CO visit our site at www.lamarcclub.com

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: AMR Twin Stick

The next task was to relocate the rudder servo to the tail. With a couple of DLE55's hanging on the wing I'm guessing I'll end up nose heavy. So, I made a servo plate for the rudder in front and above one of the elevator servo plates. Using the standard AMR hardware I added 6/32 links with carbon fiber rods to handle control linkages.

Name:	Pm35030.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	63.4 KB 
ID:	1679369  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Moving into the main body of the fuse I wanted to improve the field assembly time by using a common connector to each wing half. This connector takes care of the servo's as well as the ignition power. I use the IBEC's from TBM on all my planes. In this case a central IBEC is placed in the fuse and feeds both ignition units. Note that I also used a centralized fuel tank with quick disconnects. I've done this in the past and it works great.

Name:	Om32410.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	65.1 KB 
ID:	1679370  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Now to get the proper landing gear for the main's. I checked my stash and found some gear that was pretty close to what I needed. After some trimming, bending etc. I ended up with a gear that is 5" tall and 24" wide made out of 1/4" aluminum. I placed six inch Dubro tires on the mains and a four inch on the nose. Its about 1/2" tall in the backend with this setup prior to the wings etc. being added. I'm guessing I'll get 1/2" of flex after all the wings are added. Again, just a guess.

You may also note that I added a 1/8" aluminum strap that runs across the fuse. I did this because I decided that maybe the wings needed some additional support with those large engines. I'm planning on adding a wing strut as additional insurance.

Name:	Hf98632.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	87.1 KB 
ID:	1679371  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

So the fuse and tail section is now done. Covered in light blue Solartex with BadBrad graphics. Now we'll start building the wings and see how things come to gether. Stay tuned.

Name:	Sq45746.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	65.9 KB 
ID:	1679373  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi Jbarnes,
    May I suggest this little nuance that I have noticed on your and other installations.

The connection between the rudder horn (threaded stud) and the servo linkage could swivel under some circumstances putting the trim out of adjustment. I suggest u eliminate the accessory between the horn and linkage and go direct to the stud..
    "KISS" is my moto (keep it simple silly)
    CUB Brotherhood #008

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Finally got this bird finished up. I built the wings per the plans except to add a hardwood plate at the bottom of the nacelle to allow a wing strut to be connected to the landing gear. Using DLE55's I was worried I'd get vibration and stress that the plane was not designed to handle. The addition of the wing strut was to give me some peace of mind that the wings are more secure. The strut is made of 1/8" x 3/4" flat aluminum with a balsa shell sanded to shape. In my previous post I mentioned I was concerned about the bird ending up nose heavy with the DLE55's so I moved the rudder servo to the tail. That ended up being a bad plan. I ended up putting 2 lbs in the nose to get to the CG. If any of you guys build this bird in the future keep the rudder servo in the fuse as per the instructions.

Name:	Ec88197.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	106.0 KB 
ID:	1712780   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Oj26151.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	108.4 KB 
ID:	1712781   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hm22464.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	95.4 KB 
ID:	1712782  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Additional pictures.

Name:	Mk26514.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	88.9 KB 
ID:	1712783   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Up47278.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	110.3 KB 
ID:	1712784   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Wb77028.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	88.8 KB 
ID:	1712785  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Very nice job. In fact it's awesome.
    John
    Have desk ... Will Fly.... Saito Member #467
    Ultimate Brotherhood #11, Ultra Sport Brotherhood #90

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: JNorton

Very nice job. In fact it's awesome.
    John

I'll second that comment ! ! !

David
    Fly Safe and Have Fun ! ! !
    Ultra Sport Brotherhood #22

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hope we get to see that bad boy in the air, great looking plane.
    Ken
    Ken
    Wherever conversion engines are outlawed, only outlaws will have conversion engines.

ULTA SPORT BROTHERHOOD #8

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks for this jbarnes. Any update as to how it flies? Looks like it will have a ton of power. I was thinking of using either 2 DLE 20's or 2 DLE 30's
    \"let\'\'\'\'s just say, they will be satisfied with less\" Ming the Merciless

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

We must be in the same squadron...

Name:	Sq45633.jpg 
Size:	142.5 KB 
ID:	1811598  
    Don S

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hey VG, 20's won't fly a twin stick. Its just too heavy. I've got unlimited up with two 55's. It flies very smooth and lands just like a stick, soft and slow. I think a pair of 35RA's would be nice and probably fly it similar to my 55's. AMR thought I was crazy to put twin 55's in it but I've been flying it all Summer and not had an issue. The centralized fuel tank works great. I've not had a engine out situation yet so I'm not sure what might happen in that event. I do not use a twin sync, simply tune each engine for the best performance use the trim and get them somewhat close and fly it.

I've also got a Stick85, love the AMR kits.

Impulse, good color selection!

Jerry.

Name:	Qo41335.jpg 
Size:	119.6 KB 
ID:	1811638  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

fficedocumentsettings>fficedocumentsettings>

Here are photos of my AMR Twin Stick 50. It now has 25 flights on it and continues to draw a crowd every time I fly it. It has 2 DLE-30s and all servos are standard (non-Digital) Hitec HS 645s. Fuel tanks are 12 ounce Dubro in front of the spar/wing tube. All other hardware is standard from your kit. Tires are 4 inch mains and standard OMP tailwheel from the kit. See the 2 flying videos The first video is the 3rd flight (the second flight after building the revised engine nacelles and nose cone as below).

I found the initial flight required 2 kg ! of nose weight (2 liter bike camel bag in nose) to get the balance point correct for its maiden flight made during the 2012 NW Scale Championship held in Wenatchee, Washington with a crowd of several hundred people in attendance. This was with 2 DLE 30s and 16 ounce tanks behind the spar/wing tube. Phone call to AMR and some calculations later, they were able to cut me new engine Nacelles which is depicted in photo #80. Because the engines now sit 4.25 inched forward, I built up a foam “nose cone.” I have a total of 6 ounces of weight inside the nose cone at 8 cm forward from the front of the nose firewall. Balance is now excellent and weight just under 22.5 lbs.

I reinforced the landing gear with a ¼ inch plywood plate after flight #22 (a rough landing caused a crack that a single piece landing gear would have survived). On that same landing, the OMP tailwheel metal bracket bent a bit to the right. This caused loss of ability to turn left. I have subsequently purchased an Aeroworks carbonfiber tailwheel assembly ($39.95 on their website) and will be installing it prior to the 2013 flying season. The second video is flight #22, where the above damage occurred. You could easily see the bounce but couldn’t really see any damage to the airplane in that video.I have 3 more flights on the plane after the above repair and am really getting comfortable with it. It is the perfect gasoline twin engine trainer platform which will get me experience.

I have built and flown the AMR Giant Stick 50 2-3 years ago as well (same color as the Twin Stick since the Orange was so visible and I wanted something different). It has a DLT 55 with same servo setup. I look forward to purchasing and building another great AMR kit (leaning toward the Low Wing Stick 50).

Michael (mikejtwinman) Johnson

Normal0unctuationkerning>unctuationkerning>falsefalsefalseEN-USX-NONEverridetablestylehps>verridetablestylehps>