Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

***CUB BROTHERHOOD***

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

***CUB BROTHERHOOD***

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2014, 05:03 PM
TheComputerGeek

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've got a hangar 9 40 cub hanging in my garage and id like to join!
Old 07-31-2014, 09:37 PM
mnemennth

Nooooooo! Not another TEXAN! And a GEEK to boot! :P

Welcome to the nuthouse! Someone will be right along with your complimentary bag of honey roasted almonds and poking stick... If you want a number, stand over there on that line with your back to the wall.

Blindfold?

mnem
*Runs away cackling*
Old 08-01-2014, 04:54 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 271 Likes on 236 Posts

TheComputerGeek,

Don't worry about mnem he's harmless (unless you're an airplane then all bets are off). The consensus around here is he fried his brain with airplane dope fumes long ago. We tried to get him help but with all the mental health funding cuts handed down by Austin... Anyway Cubman will be along to give you a number soon.
Old 08-01-2014, 08:25 AM
bigbird3

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC
TheComputerGeek,

Don't worry about mnem he's harmless (unless you're an airplane then all bets are off). The consensus around here is he fried his brain with airplane dope fumes long ago. We tried to get him help but with all the mental health funding cuts handed down by Austin... Anyway Cubman will be along to give you a number soon.
That's funny flier! You guys, I'm a Texan in discuise as a Vermonter! I moved up from Corpus Christi! Man is it hot down there! It's hot is Dallas too. Thirty plus years in the Big-T! Speaking of brain dammage from the dope, I still remember ambroid glue. I have a tube just to open and take a trip back once in a while! Still have enough brain cells left for a small cruize once in a while. Welcome to the HOTEL geek. We ain't in california but the contents are the same!
bird.
Oh, by the way guys, I was given a GP Cub yesterday with the wing built. It'll have to wait for a bit while I resurrect a Pica Dualist. I'm going all out, I'm putting retracts and flaps and lots of work. I had take off all of the necells, sheeting and TE, LE and everything else that was attached with glue! Man! It looks like a plucked chicken! Coming along nicely. I promise, I'll get to the cub soon so don't worry.
Old 08-01-2014, 09:10 AM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

Hmm a Cub with retracts......
Old 08-01-2014, 09:44 AM
FlyerInOKC

BigBird3, I used so much airplane dope with silk and silkspan as a kid I lose a lot of my sense of smell and it never came back either.
Old 08-01-2014, 09:46 AM
acdii

Whenever I work with dope, I seem... um now I dont remember what I was going to say.
Old 08-01-2014, 03:10 PM
N1EDM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I guess I'm also an old time dope-a-holic. My wife won't let the stuff in the house though... and no polyester resin either. Groan!!

On another note, I have a Sig Anniversary Cub kit that I just bought. I'd like to build it into a L-4. Rather than re-invent the wheel, I was wondering if anyone knew of a build thread or helpful hints that would help me design the greenhouse and make it structurally strong enough for flying, whereas that area is supporting the wing.

Thanks for any help that you can give,

Bob
Old 08-01-2014, 06:28 PM
bigbird3

BigBird3, I used so much airplane dope with silk and silkspan as a kid I lose a lot of my sense of smell and it never came back either.
I do remember the silk and dope. We were in Japan and monocote had just been invented in 65. I never used it till the late 70's and then I was hooked! I know they have changed the formula but just like the original, it takes 'stretching' it's limits and it works. It's just like having to learn it the first time, find what it takes to make it work now. But then again, there are several other brands that work very well too. I love solartex! Great stuff! But I digress! Silk and dope is a lost art. It went out with our brain cells! lol! And NO to that comment about a cub with retracts! Where would you put them anyway? Acdii, it's your idea, come up with the concept, I'd be interested in what you come up with. And all of a sudden the page went BLANK! hehe!
bird.
Old 08-01-2014, 10:09 PM
John_M_

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Pica Dualist, that's an interesting aircraft Bird... what engines are you going to use... or you mentioned "resurrecting" are you turning it into something else?

I no longer mess with the dopes ( that includes simple minded people, lol (just kidding)... but I luv the smell of the thinner, small amount goes along way just sitting there on a rag or paper towel... noting like an open can of thinner and a cup of coffee in the morning with the windaz closed

When I was a young lad, I made the mistake of shooting a 12oz can of R12 freon with a bb gun, inside a close garage no doubt... man did that make me dizzy, and I'll never forget the headache that came afterwards... I was lucky I managed to get out into fresh air, or I my have done myself in... definitely serious stuff messing with solvents and hazardous gasses.

John M,

Last edited by John_M_; 08-02-2014 at 10:01 AM.
Old 08-02-2014, 05:51 AM
acdii

R12 if burned turns into a poisonous gas, Good thing there were open flames or you would have been done in.

Bird, I actually have plans for a Biper CUb in my head and may put retracts on it, I have a set that I can use for it. The would be mounted in the lower wing and instead of retracting inwards like normal they would retract outwards. Picture a stagger wing bipe with cub parts.
Old 08-02-2014, 06:40 AM
bigbird3

Yes John M, I'm resurrecting it not bashing it, well perhaps bashing but not changing it's gender! I wish I could easily put pictures on here but I just can't for some reason. Anyway, it will look like a Dualist but the flaps and ailerons will be about 3.25" wide and split half way instead of having a full length aileron about 1.25" wide. It's gonna be a bit heavy with about ten or twelve servos. I had to split the fuse vertically from behind the wing saddle to widen the tail plane for a wider platform for the H-stab. It was just way too thin. I'm surprised the original builds didn't shed the tail feathers in fast flight! It's about 7/8" by 7" or so, so you can imagine how thin it is. I will be putting a pair of 40 SF's on it for power and three blade props. The retracts are a bit long and the nose wheel seems a bit longer than the mains giving it a stance much like the Grumman Tiger Cat. It looks like the Tiger Cat anyway with it's sleek nose and fuse. It aught to be stunning!
Now, speaking of thinnnnnnnnnner! I like the smell of MEK! That's some pretty poisonous stuff but it's in everything anyway that has a bonding nature. It is known as a 'compounding' poison. That means that when it inters your system, it stays and builds until toxic especially when you get it on you. Unlike arsenic which is not a compounding poison and will excrete out of your system when you pee or poop as long as you are not ingesting too much.

Acdii, I understand now about the retracts in the cub. There was a farmer that built and really bashed a cub into a stagger wing agg sprayer. it had an engine like found in the Ryan STA or PT-19. It was an inverted inline six I think. Really a strange bird for sure. I have a cub book that shows a lot of different variations of what people have done to the cub. One fella even made a sholder wing out of it. It didn't look too bad but the only thing that looked like a cub was the tail and cowl.
Old 08-02-2014, 07:45 AM
mnemennth

TheComputerGeek,

Naaahhh... it wasn't airplane dope; it was nitromethane and adrenaline and parts cleaner from drag racin' and stock car racin' and motorcycle racin'. I was born too late to learn the art of silk & butyrate. Buildin' and crashin' little airplanes is just what I did to relax between the mornin' milking and the evenin' milking.

I've mellowed out quite a bit since then-n-n...ZZZzzzZZZzzzZZZzzz...

mnem
Parts cleaner on a rag: The cure for EVERYTHING.
Old 08-02-2014, 10:14 AM
John_M_

Thanks for the MEK heads up bird, I always use Chem gloves when handling solvents... my brother inlaw's farther had bladder cancer due to his mishandling of solvents in the auto industry way back before anyone knew anything about it, mostly parts cleaner (Parts DiP) nasty stuff... he was fortunate they caught it early and removed it; saved his bladder and still clear after 3 years.

Sounds like you got the BUG with that Dualist... from what I've seen of your work, should be a nice looking plane when finished.

John M,
Old 08-02-2014, 05:01 PM
bigbird3

Thanks John M. I am thinking about putting it in my gallery since I know how to do that. Glad B-N-L's dad is doing well. Something like that is always too close of a call.
bird.
Old 08-04-2014, 04:06 AM
bigbird3

Guys, I pulled out my cub book that I thought you might like to know about if you don't know of it already. It is called 'Piper Cubs' by Peter M. Bowers and is published by TAB Books.
A division of Mcgraw-Hill Inc.
It has 212 pages and a picture on nearly every page of some variation of a cub! It has the staggerwing that ACDII was thinking of doing. It has a PT-19 engine and cowl. If you want to look it up on line, it was built by Jack Yentzer N202A and reserialled III also known as the General Airplane Services Model ll. It is considered to be the most modified cub ever and was used as a 'high altitude duster' and weighed in at a hefty 3000 pounds 'Dry'! It was the only one of it's kind.
enjoy.
bird.
Old 08-04-2014, 06:26 AM
FlyerInOKC

Hey Bigbird3 do you have a way of scanning some of the more interesting photos to post here?
Old 08-04-2014, 06:37 AM
FlyerInOKC

Originally Posted by John_M_
When I was a young lad, I made the mistake of shooting a 12oz can of R12 freon with a bb gun, inside a close garage no doubt... man did that make me dizzy, and I'll never forget the headache that came afterwards... I was lucky I managed to get out into fresh air, or I my have done myself in... definitely serious stuff messing with solvents and hazardous gasses.
John M,
John, did you ever see that automatic BB machine gun they put out in the late 60s or early 70s? It was powered by a R12 freon can and held an entire box of BBs. They recommended painting the can black and keeping one had on the freon can to keep it warm. I wanted one so bad but my folks played the veto card for some reason.
Old 08-04-2014, 10:08 AM
John_M_

Originally Posted by bigbird3
Guys, I pulled out my cub book that I thought you might like to know about if you don't know of it already. It is called 'Piper Cubs' by Peter M. Bowers and is published by TAB Books. A division of Mcgraw-Hill Inc. It has 212 pages and a picture on nearly every page of some variation of a cub! It has the staggerwing that ACDII was thinking of doing. It has a PT-19 engine and cowl. If you want to look it up on line, it was built by Jack Yentzer N202A and reserialled III also known as the General Airplane Services Model ll. It is considered to be the most modified cub ever and was used as a 'high altitude duster' and weighed in at a hefty 3000 pounds 'Dry'! It was the only one of it's kind.enjoy.bird.
That sounds like an interesting book bird... do you know if its still in print?

John, did you ever see that automatic BB machine gun they put out in the late 60s or early 70s? It was powered by a R12 freon can and held an entire box of BBs. They recommended painting the can black and keeping one had on the freon can to keep it warm. I wanted one so bad but my folks played the veto card for some reason.
Never saw or heard of that BB gun FlyerInOKC... the EPA would luv that I'm sure... but I understand why they recommended painting the can black... of course, cans of R12 are no longer readily available unless you're a licensed refrigerant tech, so anyone who still owns one of those BB guns would have to modify the gas cartridge system... I still have several cans of R12 sitting in a box in my garage, for the old clunkers still running R12.

John M,
Old 08-04-2014, 11:29 AM
mnemennth

Originally Posted by John_M_

Never saw or heard of that BB gun FlyerInOKC... the EPA would luv that I'm sure... but I understand why they recommended painting the can black... of course, cans of R12 are no longer readily available unless you're a licensed refrigerant tech, so anyone who still owns one of those BB guns would have to modify the gas cartridge system... I still have several cans of R12 sitting in a box in my garage, for the old clunkers still running R12.

John M,
While I won't comment on the senseless destruction of the atmosphere discussed here; any compressed gas BB gun of this sort can most certainly very easily be converted to CO2 used for Airsoft. It's like... made for it.

As for the R12... I've learned the hard way the joys of "retrofitting" to R134A; I say keep it and fix your older vehicle's AC properly, recover what R12 you can from the system, make double-damned sure you have no leaks and recharge with your very precious stock of R12.

Either that, or look into some of the classic car forums and sell it there for those who want to make show quality restorations; probably get enough to fund a whole new plane. Or a proper refit (with a proper aftermarket R134A evaporator and condenser) so your R134A-equipped car gets nice and cold, just like it did with R12.

mnem
Tsssssssssssssssssssssss...
Old 08-04-2014, 03:13 PM
acdii

R-12 is going back a LONG way. Our oldest car is a 1995 and its R134a. If R12 is so expensive, what is it called Fre-on.

OK I know very bad joke.

My Cub made me do it.
Old 08-04-2014, 07:36 PM
bigbird3

Hey Bigbird3 do you have a way of scanning some of the more interesting photos to post here?
Sorry Flyer but I don't. I do have a scanner/printer but I am challenged if there is a way.
Old 08-04-2014, 07:41 PM
bigbird3

John M, my book is a first edition, second printing in 1993. It seems reasonable that it would be attainable. You might try Amazon.com.
Old 08-04-2014, 07:52 PM
bigbird3

John M. I went on Amazon.com/books and found it. New is 54.99 and used for 11.34. That's a tough one, Hum, 54 and 11, 54 and 11, ah, 54..........................Duh! right?
bird.
Old 08-04-2014, 09:17 PM
John_M_

Originally Posted by bigbird3
John M. I went on Amazon.com/books and found it. New is 54.99 and used for 11.34. That's a tough one, Hum, 54 and 11, 54 and 11, ah, 54..........................Duh! right?
bird.

So $54 it is... then when I'm finished with it I'll resell it for $11

John M,

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.