Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

***CUB BROTHERHOOD***

Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

***CUB BROTHERHOOD***

Old 03-13-2013, 07:46 PM
mrwad
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: ***CUB BROTHERHOOD***

G-day john !

I have 2 planes with the OS 1.60 flat twin powering them. I removed the choke on both of them with no problems at all.

Don
Old 03-14-2013, 11:30 PM
DENTO

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: mrwad

G-day john !

I have 2 planes with the OS 1.60 flat twin powering them. I removed the choke on both of them with no problems at all.

Don
G-DAY Don thanks for your reply.
I figured that was the case ,Left there you would have to cut a chunk out of the cowl,All is going well have cut the cowl in half and added the blind nuts and tabs to bolt the top of cowl back on just about ready to spray in the next day or two.
REGARDS JOHN
Old 03-22-2013, 06:07 PM
ThunderBoat42
My Feedback: (1)

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Finally found the thread.   
I will kick in on Cub man's page as a supporter as well.   (was reading through all the post on this thread)  

QUESTION:  Building 2 goldberg cubs - on in military and one civilian.  Saito 65 and setting up to move engine depending on which I feel like flying.
Does anyone make a Super Cub cowl for this plane?  

Old 03-22-2013, 09:44 PM
DENTO

ORIGINAL: ThunderBoat42

Finally found the thread.
I will kick in on Cub man's page as a supporter as well. (was reading through all the post on this thread)

QUESTION: Building 2 goldberg cubs - on in military and one civilian. Saito 65 and setting up to move engine depending on which I feel like flying.
Does anyone make a Super Cub cowl for this plane?

Maybe Fibreglass Specialties they have most things .
REGARDS
JOHN
Old 04-01-2013, 06:02 PM
Props4ever

Hi Cub brotherhood guys,

For the longest time I had been looking to get a nice size Cub model, well this goes back to mid 90s era. Finally now I'm getting a 1/3 scale Cub
that needs some restoration and complete recovering. Since I,like things different and unique I have been researching on adding nose gear to this model and make it tri gear Cub or PA 11!. Has anyone done this mod on a model Cub or Super Cub before or I'll be first one doing it. I pictures of a PA 11 converted as tri gear plus also know of couple of YouTube videos of it, plus have pic of original article from 1941 when this conversion was first done on J3 by Piper aircraft company itself.

I'll join in if there is space for more Cub brothers....
Old 04-01-2013, 07:12 PM
ThunderBoat42

GO FOR IT!!! Very cool actually. I was thinking about doing it to a goldberg cub I am about to start. Fiber Galss Specalties hasa super cub cowl too. adding brakes would be fun too.

ORIGINAL: Props4ever

Hi Cub brotherhood guys,

For the longest time I had been looking to get a nice size Cub model, well this goes back to mid 90s era. Finally now I'm getting a 1/3 scale Cub
that needs some restoration and complete recovering. Since I,like things different and unique I have been researching on adding nose gear to this model and make it tri gear Cub or PA 11!. Has anyone done this mod on a model Cub or Super Cub before or I'll be first one doing it. I pictures of a PA 11 converted as tri gear plus also know of couple of YouTube videos of it, plus have pic of original article from 1941 when this conversion was first done on J3 by Piper aircraft company itself.

Old 04-01-2013, 08:54 PM
Props4ever

ORIGINAL: ThunderBoat42

GO FOR IT!!! Very cool actually. I was thinking about doing it to a goldberg cub I am about to start. Fiber Galss Specalties hasa super cub cowl too. adding brakes would be fun too.

Would like to hear form others also, I'ts a go from my end but still would love to see if it's already done before to get few tips if possible.
Yeah Busa fiberglass S cub cowl from Fiberglass specialties is in order or even J3's cowl will work too.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw66823.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	232.5 KB
ID:	1869335   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ni23221.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	56.9 KB
ID:	1869336   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rw57525.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	43.8 KB
ID:	1869337   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dx67497.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	163.8 KB
ID:	1869338  
Old 04-01-2013, 08:56 PM
Props4ever

Here are two youtube videos showing PA11 with nose gear....

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTrNP755-7Q[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4SAsksi5Bs[/youtube]
Old 04-02-2013, 07:16 AM
malitape
My Feedback: (213)

Hi Cub brotherhood guys,

I hope that you will go through with this project. I too would like to build a tricycle configuration. Those cubs just don't want to track on the ground. Looking forward to more information.
Old 04-02-2013, 07:32 AM
rafeeki
My Feedback: (11)

Looks awkward, nothing like a cub
Old 04-02-2013, 08:13 AM
Cub Flyer Fresno

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's amonstrosity! It looks like a sin against nature!
Still, it would be cool...
Old 04-02-2013, 08:16 AM
rafeeki
My Feedback: (11)

I saw an unfinshed one at a swap meet on saturday and was tempted to pick t up and return it to its orignal good looking "Cub" nature. .... Ugly.
Old 04-02-2013, 12:15 PM
Props4ever

ORIGINAL: rafeeki

I saw an unfinshed one at a swap meet on saturday and was tempted to pick t up and return it to its orignal good looking ''Cub'' nature. .... Ugly.
Let's call it unique and different, off course in a good way coz it's "Scale!"

As mentioned before, I like things different then rest, can't stand seeing same over and over again all the time on the field. This will make interesting appearance and will stand out among the rest.
Old 04-03-2013, 01:43 AM
malitape

I like it
Old 04-03-2013, 05:37 AM
Big Lacy
My Feedback: (2)

To each his own! I personally converted every plane into a taildragger even Cessnas lol. BL
Old 04-03-2013, 05:54 AM
CanDo

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Props4ever, the best part about building model planes is that you can have it your way. Go for it, brother!
Old 04-03-2013, 07:39 AM
ThunderBoat42

I like unique.. when its functional that is.   I am adding flaps to the Goldberg cub.  Why, because it will be fun to have them on there.
Old 04-03-2013, 08:05 AM
malitape

When I finally build, will definitely have flaps. Airplanes have to have flaps, don't they?.
Old 04-03-2013, 12:29 PM
Props4ever

ORIGINAL: malitape

When I finally build, will definitely have flaps. Airplanes have to have flaps, don't they?.

Well it depends on aircraft you are modeling after. If actual aircraft doesn't have flaps then if you add those, ur not following the scale aspect then, in that case ur you do pretty much whatever you like but IF ur avid scale builder and modeler then following actual aircraft's design is only the way to go. This doesn't mean there are NO J3 cubs with flaps, I am sure they must be but better you do some research on it. I know Super Cubs have built in flaps in there wing design...
Old 04-03-2013, 02:02 PM
ThunderBoat42

I agree on 'scale'... I want flaps for fun and hope to find one that had them. I have warbirds (heavy wing loading - flying bricks basically), aerobatic scale (ie the ultimate in the profile pic) and building a cub for a windy day fun and floater. Flaps would add to that. Yeah, my Dad is is over 70 and owned many cubs and a Piper dealership just shook his head when I said "... add some flaps to a cub".

I was actually thinking fowler flaps so their not obvious from the top just looking at it and super lift when deployed. a "Cub concept" scale plane. LOL

ORIGINAL: malitape

Well it depends on aircraft you are modeling after. If actual aircraft doesn't have flaps then if you add those, ur not following the scale aspect then, in that case ur you do pretty much whatever you like but IF ur avid scale builder and modeler then following actual aircraft's design is only the way to go. This doesn't mean there are NO J3 cubs with flaps, I am sure they must be but better you do some research on it. I know Super Cubs have built in flaps in there wing design...
Old 04-03-2013, 02:21 PM
stevegauth30

i dont know if its just my cub, (sig 1/6th scale) and i dont really care to fly it in wind. it just doesnt like it too much. maybe its just me. just my two cents. steve
Old 04-03-2013, 02:21 PM
Props4ever

Well then pick a missed designation left out by Piper aircraft company and call it's yours as experimental.......Ur probably going to end up with a cross between J3 and PA 11......

Lets see if we can fine one converted this way or one that is using PA11's wings on J3's fuselage.....
Old 04-03-2013, 02:46 PM
WacoNut

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

ORIGINAL: [email protected]

i dont know if its just my cub, (sig 1/6th scale) and i dont really care to fly it in wind. it just doesnt like it too much. maybe its just me. just my two cents. steve
Steve,
It is not just your Cub. A Cub will always try to turn into the wind and you really have to convince it otherwise. Also when you are crosswind the wind will get under that big wing and lift the upwind wing. Even with my 1/3 Cub it can be a chore to keep it in the center of the runway on take-off and landing with a 10 mph cross wind. You must use rudder on a Cub.

Later!!
Anthony
Old 04-03-2013, 03:03 PM
ThunderBoat42

(Steve) I love flying trainers and cubs on those very windy days... steady wind that is... frequent high gust variables... not as much.

Years ago (20+), I was at a scale fly-in in Tampa FL with a steady 15 to 20 wind at about 60 tp 70 deg of runway centerline.... no one was flying and I wasn't flying my Chipmunk with a years work invested either. I then realized that weather was causing me to loose a lot of fun flying time. So, I grabed my goldberg eagle and decided I was no longer going to let wind rob me of flying... a do or crash... time to learn the rudder. In front of God and everyone off it went.... had a blast (and relieved I didnt provide the crash entertainment) and it's been that way ever since. Yes, I have 're-kitted' my share of planes... but mostly due to a brain fart of stupidity on a calm day more than anything else LOL The Chipmunk, well, a year later doing an Art Scholl inverted ribon cut,... pulled up instead of pushing out... yep, re-kitted it anyway

Well then pick a missed designation left out by Piper aircraft company and call it's yours as experimental.......Ur probably going to end up with a cross between J3 and PA 11......

Lets see if we can fine one converted this way or one that is using PA11's wings on J3's fuselage.....
PROPS
Thats what I am looking for is a full scale example. My Dad, who is a Piper guy through and through, thinks it would be a fun full scale plane but knows of no example. Naturally, when he was in the business, internet was not available.... so alot of what we 'knew' was regional or at a dealer convention, oshkosh etc.

Old 04-03-2013, 03:22 PM
stevegauth30

Right, I know what you mean. A steady, predictable wind isn't bad. I just don't have too much fun with this plane in it. My Carl Goldberg ultimate on the other hand, I love to fly it in wind. We all have our preferences. Good luck, Steve.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.