Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

***CUB BROTHERHOOD***

Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

***CUB BROTHERHOOD***

Old 02-18-2014, 01:48 PM
mnemennth

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

John -

No argument there... that's why I put the big warning there. I guess I'm just enough younger (and holding a degree in Electronics Engineering) that Computer Control Systems are just another facet of machinery to me. I grew up working with both analog and digital; got my certs, did my time in the dealerships, etc. before deciding that ultimately, mechanicking is a job, not a profession.

I know a lot of folks love these little engines because they're so basic; they employ nothing that isn't absolutely necessary. Yet... even the die-hards have to admit they run better on electronic ignition; to me, EFI is just another logical step in that progression. If you can add 150 grams to a 10cc motor and get power equivalent to a 15cc motor, THAT is what I'm talking about.

I've been converting anything I can get my hands on to electronic ignition since the '80s... I converted a Kohler V-twin generator on my motorhome to run on a Ford electronic ignition, and converting every kind of magneto-fired small engine you can think of ever since the Atom electronic module was first released.

Ecotrons has a small engine kit that is CLOSE to being a beginning point:

http://www.ecotrons.com/products/sma...injection_kit/

I think it could rock on a 1/5 scale gas buggy; but it's still in the 1/2 kilo range for just the bare kit. We'd REALLY need to drop the weight quite a bit to even THINK about putting it on a 1/4 scale aircraft, much less anything mere mortals like myself can afford.

Like I said; I think it's going to happen. Just a matter of making it smaller and as reliable as the CDI modules we all take for granted.

mnem
*zoom-zoom*
Old 02-18-2014, 02:39 PM
acerc

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What happened to the cub brotherhood thread????
Old 02-18-2014, 02:41 PM
John_M_

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Oh ok, I held a ASE advanced engine performance certificate during my automotive career... all that means is I understand emission control, lol... nice little kit Ecotron has there... EFI on models engines wouldn't be too difficult to do, since emission control wouldn't be as critical... we already have the makings of a crank position sensor with the current CDI systems... EFI on a model 4 stroke engine certainly would solve a bunch of annoying problems that's for sure; I'm sure it will come.... just look at the model jet turbine engine technology and how its advanced over the years... just impressive as heck.

John M,

Originally Posted by acerc
What happened to the cub brotherhood thread????
Sorry acerc, we'll get back on topic!
Old 02-18-2014, 03:05 PM
mnemennth

Sorry Ace... I'm a Cub noob, but I know a thing or 6 about hacking engines. I sortof thought it was KINDOF on topic, as you know... airplane engines and what-not.

I'll just be over here, trying not to get any of my cheap Chinese kit cooties all over the forum.

mnem
*Crash-Testing since nineteen-mumbelty-mumble*
Old 02-18-2014, 03:25 PM
cubcrasher
My Feedback: (6)

Well it was another beautiful day in Locust N.C. so I took the Sig 1/4 scale Clipped Wing Cub
for it's maiden flight. It flew like a champ. The Magnum 180 F.S. is a real stump puller. The color scheme
is blue & white sunburst. I covered it with Koverall, sealed with nitrate dope and painted it with acrylic
enamel paint. I give it two thumbs up.
Old 02-18-2014, 04:22 PM
John_M_

180, that should pull that cub around with some authority... you got any pic's? sounds like a nice color scheme.

John M,
Old 02-18-2014, 04:26 PM
acerc

Yea RL!!! "PICS"!!!!
Old 02-18-2014, 04:46 PM
cubcrasher

Would someone be so kind to shoot me a PM and explain how to post pictures. I'm
no computer genius but I sure can build dem cubs.
Old 02-18-2014, 04:58 PM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

Anyone remember the VV Carb? Hheh yeah I turned a wrench for a few years too and had a few ASE. The problem with fuel injection on these little motors are the components behind the engine. I dont think my cub could carry that much weight. PCM and High pressure fuel pump come to mind. It would still look pretty cool shooting flames out the exhaust though on the Cub.
Old 02-18-2014, 06:47 PM
mnemennth

Yeah, that's what I was talking about as the limiting factor; the weight.

The kit I linked to is a hair over half a kilo, and that's just the bare hardware kit not including the plumbing and electrical (It IS including the fuel injection pump and regulator, however). I can't see that flying on anything less than a 1/4 scale, even though it DOES replace the CDI as well.

On the other hand... just think of the telemetry you could get out of that bad boy; it has an open-protocol RS-232 interface with live data. And it's a low-pressure (35PSI) system, at least on the TBI version... so quite suited to miniaturized plumbing in lightweight plastic tubing like polybutylene or saran.

mnem
*hmmmmm...*

Last edited by mnemennth; 02-18-2014 at 06:55 PM.
Old 02-18-2014, 06:54 PM
acerc

I guess cub brothers, we'll have to go to the engine forums to talk cub!!!!
Old 02-18-2014, 07:26 PM
mnemennth

We have an engine forum?

*Ducks thrown footwear*

mnem
"Yes, but will it BLEND?"
Old 02-18-2014, 09:44 PM
bigbuster
My Feedback: (12)

Hello guys, I have a Saito .30 that I would like to put in a small .20 or .30 sized Super cub, but I cannot find one. I plan to use this as a tug for small sail planes. I have had both the Balsa USA and the CG cubs

but would like something really small. I can scratch build, kit build or build an ARF, If you know of one please let me know.

Thanks
Jeff
Old 02-18-2014, 10:45 PM
Joey B
My Feedback: (4)

just started covering my balsa usa 1\4 scale cub tonight I had never used solartex in my 30 years of building man this stuff goes on easy
Old 02-18-2014, 10:54 PM
John_M_

Not much out there in that size range... there's a .25-.32- Super Cub ARF By E-Flite... has a 68" wing span, but its electric; maybe it can be converted to use the saito... haven't seen any plans around for that size in a super cub... you could always scale down a larger set of plans... just google .25-3.2- Super Cub and see what you come up with.

John M,
Old 02-19-2014, 04:47 AM
bigbuster

John_M_, I tried the Google way but nothing, I really like the E-flite Cub and woould be easy to convert, but I think it may be a bit big and heavy for the little Saito. Thanks for the response. I might just go with the GP
taylorcraft it does well with the little .30.

Thanks
Old 02-19-2014, 06:26 AM
FlyerInOKC

Received 271 Likes on 236 Posts

The SIG Clipped wing comes to mind but I think they recommend a .40 4 cycle and not a .30. It's a hand full to fly too.
Old 02-19-2014, 06:47 AM
acerc

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC
It's a hand full to fly too.
I am not even going to touch that one!! A handful, lol, hah!!!
Old 02-19-2014, 09:08 AM
mnemennth

Originally Posted by bigbuster
Hello guys, I have a Saito .30 that I would like to put in a small .20 or .30 sized Super cub, but I cannot find one. I plan to use this as a tug for small sail planes. I have had both the Balsa USA and the CG cubs

but would like something really small. I can scratch build, kit build or build an ARF, If you know of one please let me know.

Thanks
Jeff
I'm guessing your main intent is a high-wing trainer type aircraft... Eureka Aircraft has a .25 scale Cessna 150 based on the 80s vintage PAC model; they appear to specialize in all manner of vintage kits and reproductions of popular vintage kits.

http://www.eurekaaircraft.com/eac_kits/cessna25.htm

However, a lucky hit on fleaBay revealed this listing for a Model Tech .25 size J3 Cub ARF:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Mode...-/121277396865

I don't know how vintage this kit is; maybe someone else would know if it's likely still young enough to not suffer from shelf rot?

Of course, if your preference is stick-building, Phil's hobby Shop has this listing for the Taylorcraft:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Great-Planes...-/380845006404

mnem
"Can't dance, and it's too wet to plow."
Old 02-19-2014, 09:40 AM
John_M_

Originally Posted by bigbuster
John_M_, I tried the Google way but nothing, I really like the E-flite Cub and woould be easy to convert, but I think it may be a bit big and heavy for the little Saito. Thanks for the response. I might just go with the GPtaylorcraft it does well with the little .30.Thanks
Ok, well here's the link on the Eflite http://www.e-fliterc.com/Products/De...ProdID=EFL4625

John M,

Last edited by John_M_; 02-19-2014 at 09:43 AM.
Old 02-19-2014, 03:10 PM
bigbuster

Guys, thanks for all the suggestions and I have seen all these, the little Modeltec J3 would be just right except that it is a J3 and my heart is set on a Super cub. On the High winged trainer type, I am using that right now
but I want something scale looking, a friend gave me the engine and I would like to put it in something scale. If i can find a super cub cowl I would take the covering off the Modeltech J3 and redo it to my likings. I do love the
E-flite piper but at 5.85 to 6.40 pounds I doubt that I will be doing any towing. I'll gitter done, it may take a while, but I have plenty to do.

I truly appreciate all your help.
Thanks
Jeff
Old 02-19-2014, 03:32 PM
mnemennth

Good luck then! I'll tick the Model Tech J3 off my snipe list so I'm not driving the price up for you; I was just thinking about it on speculation anyways.

Wow! E-Flite doesn't sell the cowling for the 25e as spare parts? That's downright EVIL! That's one of the things I hate about my cheapo CMP Cub; not being able buy crash parts. But at the price I got it, it's hard to argue...

mnem
*Back to the front*
Old 02-19-2014, 03:53 PM
John_M_

Originally Posted by mnemennth
Good luck then! I'll tick the Model Tech J3 off my snipe list so I'm not driving the price up for you; I was just thinking about it on speculation anyways.

Wow! E-Flite doesn't sell the cowling for the 25e as spare parts? That's downright EVIL! That's one of the things I hate about my cheapo CMP Cub; not being able buy crash parts. But at the price I got it, it's hard to argue...

mnem
*Back to the front*
Horizon Hobbies sells the replacement cowls; under "parts & accessories"

http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...arf-EFL4625#t4

Nice youtube video... for the size, its has some nice scale features... the cockpit is sold separately.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1bVxBNiSI8#t=24

John M,

Last edited by John_M_; 02-19-2014 at 03:58 PM.
Old 02-19-2014, 10:17 PM
mnemennth

Well, looks like I just learned something.

But isn't e-Flite like owned by Horizon, like Hobbico is owned by Tower? Why they wouldn't list the same parts on both sites is a mystery to me...

But it looks like Jeff is set then, if he can win the auction for the Model Tech J3. Again I say, Good luck!

mnem
*Cheesy grin*
Old 02-20-2014, 06:11 AM
FlyerInOKC

Received 271 Likes on 236 Posts

Originally Posted by mnemennth
Well, looks like I just learned something.

But isn't e-Flite like owned by Horizon, like Hobbico is owned by Tower? Why they wouldn't list the same parts on both sites is a mystery to me...
mnem
*Cheesy grin*
Yeah, but I'll bet dollars to donuts they use some of the same Asian suppliers! Look at automobiles and how many parts cross over between one or more brands.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.