Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

***CUB BROTHERHOOD***

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

***CUB BROTHERHOOD***

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2014, 11:33 AM
smkrcflyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the Dynaflite PA-18 kit and that's 104 inch wing. Not sure if that helps you or not.
Old 09-12-2014, 11:41 AM
Cub Man
My Feedback: (50)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sig nor balsa USA are scale. I would say sig a closer to scale from all the digging I have done. I'm working on a set of 1/3 scale plans if I can ever find time to finish them. True 1/4 scale span is. 105.75 inches.

Last edited by Cub Man; 09-12-2014 at 11:45 AM.
Old 09-12-2014, 01:17 PM
Leroy Gardner

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I suspected they were both off scale but to what degree . Balsa's is a tad bigger, fuse. and wing and the fuselage is wider at the gear mount area so Robart gear would need some rework to look right, they state that for other kits, Balsa is one of them. I may be wrong but the cub is probably closer overall to the L-4 than a super cub. Could be that it's not going to make much difference considering the tail surface shape appears to be off some also and have ballance tabs. Getting picts. of the real thing is probably one of the best ways to get the info I'm looking for.

I'm not going to be the first one to do this and others experience with these two planes will help with my kit choice as a place to start.

Leroy
Old 09-12-2014, 01:40 PM
acerc

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Just a reminder!!

The Cubden is open, let's keep it that way!!
Come on Cub brothers!! Let's not let the cubden have to shut down, it does not cost that much and there are plenty of cub brothers to donate. Every one of us can afford $5, with over 200 brothers this should not even be an issue. Step up and help out.
Robert
Cub brother #3

Whether you have used the cubden or not, if you are here, on this thread, you have benefitted from it.
Old 09-12-2014, 04:20 PM
Cub Man

Are you wanting a kit, or scratch build from plans.
Old 09-12-2014, 05:14 PM
acerc

Leroy, either kit is easily modified to a more scale dimension. Get a good set of plans, drawing, measurement, and bash it.
Old 09-12-2014, 08:18 PM
Leroy Gardner

Originally Posted by acerc
Leroy, either kit is easily modified to a more scale dimension. Get a good set of plans, drawing, measurement, and bash it.
Thanks Robert, I know you built one and thats the best answer so far. I do have the 1/3 scratch build plans of Balsa USA. I thought this was family on RCU, hardly the case anymore, "oh well".
Old 09-13-2014, 03:34 AM
spaceworm

[QUOTE=Leroy Gardner; I thought this was family on RCU, hardly the case anymore, "oh well".[/QUOTE]

????
Old 09-13-2014, 03:37 AM
acerc

Originally Posted by spaceworm
????
I would assume from the lack of responses to a simple question.
And from the lack of support for the Cubden I have to agree, the family is getting thin...
Old 09-13-2014, 03:48 AM
spaceworm

I would assume from the lack of responses to a simple question....
Six responses to a question of J3 scale I thought was good. Did he want someone to do ALL the research for him? If he wanted a true scale plane he should scratch build from available plans, or have someone build it for him. JMHO. Sincerely,. Richard
Old 09-13-2014, 04:09 AM
acerc

It was not that long ago such a question would have generated pages of discussion. I would assume being the slow season for building is one reason. I would also have to agree if one wants a truly scale build a scratch build would be the way to go and the Cub is probably about the easiest there is to do such with. I would also say that Cubman's plans are as scale as it can get short of using full scale plans. I had a set and they are absolutely the best I have ever seen of any plan. Every detail carefully drawn accurately to scale.
Old 09-13-2014, 02:38 PM
Leroy Gardner

Originally Posted by spaceworm
Six responses to a question of J3 scale I thought was good. Did he want someone to do ALL the research for him? If he wanted a true scale plane he should scratch build from available plans, or have someone build it for him. JMHO. Sincerely,. Richard
Well now, we are getting to one of the problems every time someone asks a simple question from a group of builders that should have an answer. Wow I get 6 responses and not one answers the "simple" question, "why", I know why, but I bet you haven't got a clue but you have smart (someone can finish that) . If you don't read the question you can't answer the question and if you can't understand the simple question then you should stay out of the answer department, now thats pretty simple to understand.

By the way, my skills far exceed those needed to build this plane and I understand every thing I read, you might want to work on that.
Old 09-13-2014, 04:37 PM
Cub Man

Guys lets all chill out a little.........You asked which was closer to scale outline balsa usa or sig. I replied the sig was the closest but not true scale. Several pages back i had outline the question of what are differences between a J3 and a super cub. Any plane can be taken and some kit bashing to make it scale. Take it from a guy that has built both a sig and a balsa usa cub. if you want to make it scale, its best to buy some good scale plans and build from them. Let someone else do the work and make it an easy build......If you want a good standoff scale then just go with a kit. My L-4 That is built from my plans, most of the wood came from a balsa usa kit, but trust me it took a lot of bashing to make it into a scale ship. I hope to sometime in all the spare time i have (LOL) to come up with a comparison in outlines of the sig and balsa usa cub to true outline. I'm getting ready to bee off from work for a couple weeks with the birth of my daughter, I hope to do some work on my 1/3 scale cub plans Leroy let me know what else you are looking for. We are all cub brothers is this group and need to lend an hand to all.
Old 09-13-2014, 04:56 PM
acerc

Brother, if I got anymore chilled I'd be a popsicle.
Just some friendly bashing going on! LOL! Get it, bashing. LOL!
Old 09-13-2014, 10:00 PM
Leroy Gardner

Cub Man thats probably as good an answer I'm going to get. I know as a good many of you that have built this plane in it's many various forms that they are not true to form (I shouldn't have to explain why), but give a finished likeness to what it's modeled after. To me scale (even being off scale) is building a plane that incorporates all the details of interior and exterior to appear as they do on a real plane. Some altering may be required as long as it doesn't deminish the good flight characteristics many are proven to have.

I will build the Balsa kit and make one fine plane of it because that is what I do what ever I build.

Leroy
Old 09-14-2014, 04:39 AM
acerc

Leroy, someone here sent me a cd with about 200 pics from a walk around. They are of every detail of a cub including the interior and you are welcome to a copy. PM me your address and I will send one to you.
Old 09-14-2014, 04:53 AM
SrTelemaster150

Leroy, someone here sent me a cd with about 200 pics from a walk around. They are of every detail of a cub including the interior and you are welcome to a copy. PM me your address and I will send one to you.
I would like some PIX of the windshield details between the wings & the bracing.
Old 09-14-2014, 05:00 AM
acerc

PM me somewhere to send them.
Old 09-14-2014, 05:36 AM
SrTelemaster150

PM me somewhere to send them.
PM sent.
Old 09-14-2014, 08:30 AM
Leroy Gardner

Thank you Robert thats very nice of you to offer the cd and I may just take you up on that. I actually have been down loading pictures of the PA 11-12-16? and 18 to help determine what one I want to do, they all have differences. Anyway I wanted the flaps so the PA18 won out, I saw a beauty on floats at a EAA fly in this summer and was impressed with it. Reason for kit information had more to do with the wood quality and differences in the plans and a way to get most of all of that, we do not have a source of the 4' balsa sheets needed to build it from scratch. A kit will help hold the cost down on the many items needed.

Thanks again, I'll be in touch,

Leroy
Old 09-14-2014, 08:37 AM
acerc

Leroy, it's a pleasure to help as I have been helped. I have put the photos on an SD card. They are going to Sr tomorrow and he could send them to you. So just PM him your address and use what you can. Kind of a pay it forward deal.

Last edited by acerc; 09-14-2014 at 09:05 AM.
Old 09-14-2014, 09:22 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 271 Likes on 236 Posts

The Cubden is open, let's keep it that way!!
Come on Cub brothers!! Let's not let the cubden have to shut down, it does not cost that much and there are plenty of cub brothers to donate. Every one of us can afford $5, with over 200 brothers this should not even be an issue. Step up and help out.
Robert
Cub brother #3

Whether you have used the cubden or not, if you are here, on this thread, you have benefitted from it.
If you are not a credit card/PayPal user like myself send a PM to Charles and get his snail mail address like I did. $5.00 is less than a lot of the bits and pieces we use on an airplane why not keep this resource open not just for us but those future pilots that will join the hobby in the future? Think back to when you started did you really do it alone? Now days local hobby shops are few and far between and it is places like the Cub Den that will help the newbies and keep the hobby alive. Pay it forward guys!
Old 09-14-2014, 09:22 AM
Cub Man

I can say both are a builders kit as the fuse is all sticks and some ply. Wings are about the same build. one item the sig has over the balsa use is the feedthru spar in teh center. you can slide a wing on and then put the screws in. balsa usa you have to hold all in place as you put the screws in. To me it is a littel more pain.
Old 09-14-2014, 12:22 PM
John_M_

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Leroy, if you go with the Sig kit... when you build the wings, do the 3 piece wing mod and permanently fix and reenforce the center section to the fuselage... the wings will then attach in a similar fashion to the H9 Cub... its much easier to assemble and transport that way.... also by having the center section permanently attached to the fuse, will strengthen the fuse considerably, so you can cut out the door and window... that's the only short coming of the Sig kit, is it lacks a functioning door and window... CubMan has all the details for the wing mod on his site.

Definitely get a set of his scale aileron plans.

From the sounds of it Leroy, when you're finished with your project, we all will be envious of the results...

John M,

Last edited by John_M_; 09-14-2014 at 02:44 PM.
Old 09-14-2014, 06:35 PM
Corsair2013
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Guys- I had a bad accident this week with my used J-3 74" wing span plane. I made stupid rookie mistake, since I am a rookie in building, thought it looked fine and didn't check the incidence. Rebuilt the firewall / motor mount front end and just made some measurements and called it good. I can repair it and will make sure to check everything this time.

Anyway -- I am looking for a new ARF Cub - 1/4" scale or larger. I am not a scale guy, just like bashing them a little bit, maybe a new paint job or some decals then flying. I might even go as far as a kit but didn't know if a Cub is a good plane for a first kit. I have done a few ARF planes including a Corsair 50 and Skyshark 82" WS P-40. I have repaired my Corsair 50 a few times and my J-3.

Would a Cub be a good first build or something else?

Any suggestions on a good model ARF or Kit would be appreciated.

H9, Balsa USA, Sig, etc...........

Thanks

Keith

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.