Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

***CUB BROTHERHOOD***

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

***CUB BROTHERHOOD***

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2015, 12:43 PM
John_M_

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Mike, You'll probably have better luck contacting an aircraft museum, or maybe someone at your local GA airport would be able to help you more... it maybe out here on the internet, but its not readily accessible... you need something like the "History detectives" to have access to historical databases.

I find all the old aviation history interesting as well, so I wish you all the best in your endeavors.

John M,
Old 04-06-2015, 01:01 PM
acerc

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The biggest problem in finding that specific label is that each state had their own and they changed annually, some changed bi-annually.
Old 04-06-2015, 01:46 PM
wistillwill

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Count me in I guess I'm lucky #13 I just finished my first plane. A great planes j3 piper cub 40 and had a blast doing so with help from my son clay he is 3
Old 04-06-2015, 02:03 PM
wistillwill

Sorry this is my first post I'm not sure where I fall on the list but would like to be a part of it.
Old 04-06-2015, 05:02 PM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

+42 on the gas 4 stroke. I have a DLE20 in a 4*120 and it sounds like a weed trimmer, but on my T-clips I have a Saito FG-11, and I Friggin LOVE it! It takes 20:1 oil as well, but for break in my first couple gallons have been more like 16:1 or more, so it gets some black goop on it, but it cleans up quickly with Simple Green. Best of all, flies for an hour on 12 ounces of gas. Took me 2 months to use a gallon of gas in it. If I could afford it I would swap all my 4 poppers out with gas Saito's.
Old 04-07-2015, 01:49 AM
TonyBuilder
My Feedback: (11)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by John_M_
What Tony said ... I've got the same engine... I also like the sound of that New Gaui F-50cc, basically the same dimensions as the OS GF40, but 10cc bigger displacement, but a bit spendy at $999.. the OS GF40 is $799 from tower hobbies, but with the right coupon code you can save 100-120 bucks on it.

John M,
also Keleo creations makes a wrap around pits muffler for the OS 40cc 4S

TB
Old 04-07-2015, 06:43 AM
52larry52
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I wish to lament the passing of a great knock around J-3 cub. No, I didn't crash one of my Cubs, but rather I noticed last night that the Great Planes 81" J-3 Cub ARF is no longer available from Tower Hobbies. While it is not the most scale accurate J-3 ever offered, it is, or was, one of the nicest flying Cubs available as an ARF. With it's Cub yellow cloth covering, G.P. quality, parts availability, good flying characteristics, and 81" 1/5 scale size it was a great first big Cub for many of us. G.P. still offers the 76" and 90" J-3 in kit form (and the adopted Goldberg Anniversary Cub) but the cloth covered ARF looks to be history. It has been on Tower's "temporarily unavailable" status for several months and as we know that is often the kiss of death for a model. If you have one and need parts you better act quickly as the replacement parts will also soon be all gone forever. Last night the cowls and wing struts were N.L.A. I don't need anything right now for mine but I recall last year repairing one for a fellow clubmate and it was sure nice to be able to just order and install a new cowl and new wing struts to complete the repair. It made life, and the repair, easier to have those parts ready to install and at a reasonable price. I hope G.P. replaces this model in their lineup.

Last edited by 52larry52; 04-07-2015 at 06:57 AM. Reason: spelling error
Old 04-07-2015, 06:55 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 271 Likes on 236 Posts

I have emailed the National Archives, the FAA Archive and several museums and now I'm in the waiting stage. Response times are 2 to 6 weeks.
Old 04-07-2015, 07:09 AM
pilotbum

Is this all to make a scale cockpit with the certificates? If so, I'm impressed!
Old 04-07-2015, 08:52 AM
FlyerInOKC

I'm probably going a little off the deep end but the Ryan Sports Cabin is my first love. Then again you look at ACERC, TonyBuilder, and a number of others on this site, I'm not the only one with screw or two loose!
Old 04-07-2015, 09:29 AM
John_M_

Originally Posted by TonyBuilder
also Keleo creations makes a wrap around pits muffler for the OS 40cc 4S

TB
I have seen that muffler on another thread... its does look nice... one thing I don't like about the GF40, is that funky muffler / silencer.... for O.S. to rely on that all threaded nipple to hold it in place, seems to be an over sight on their part... vibration and fatigue on that threaded nipple and it can break across the threads... there's a couple youtube videos of the muffler falling off mid flight.

I run mine with a straight pipe off one of their 60 degree threaded adapters... I didn't like the sound of the stock muffler, sounds better with a straight pipe... and we don't have any sound restrictions at our field (at the moment) because we are located in the base of a flood control basin, which is a state recreational / wild life preserve... its a huge area with a park, water treatment facility with a Japaneses garden as part of the treatment plant... it was designed to demonstrate the processes to bring black water back to a level of clarity for irrigation purposes and to release back out into the environment ... we are way over on the opposite side of the treatment plant, next to a golf course and some farm fields, so there's no homes or businesses in the area to get upset over the noise level... I think the RC helicopters make the most noise, and some of the big two stroke aircraft.

John M,

Last edited by John_M_; 04-07-2015 at 09:43 AM.
Old 04-07-2015, 09:34 AM
pilotbum

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC
I'm probably going a little off the deep end but the Ryan Sports Cabin is my first love. Then again you look at ACERC, TonyBuilder, and a number of others on this site, I'm not the only one with screw or two loose!
Are there pics of their (your) work posted?
Old 04-07-2015, 10:08 AM
John_M_

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC
Welcome to the club... you do know these types of projects are never ending... its the small details that get you... I think its more to do with procrastination than anything, at least on my part

BTW Mike... I did find another CAA Airworthiness Certificate.. this one is supposed to be from a piper cub... it is in a different format than the one Robert (Ace) found... but to get thee, exact certificate for the Ryan you're modeling after, the archives and museums are your best bet.

John M,
Old 04-07-2015, 11:12 AM
FlyerInOKC

Originally Posted by pilotbum
Not many because I have it on hold while I finish another project and finish a home remodeling project for the wife. I'll probably start it back up in earnest this fall and then I'll start a building thread. I still have some custom detail parts being made so it will give me time to get them done.
Old 04-07-2015, 11:14 AM
FlyerInOKC

Welcome to the club... you do know these types of projects are never ending... its the small details that get you... I think its more to do with procrastination than anything, at least on my part

BTW Mike... I did find another CAA Airworthiness Certificate.. this one is supposed to be from a piper cub... it is in a different format than the one Robert (Ace) found... but to get thee, exact certificate for the Ryan you're modeling after, the archives and museums are your best bet.

John M,
Thanks John I have one. I have an open inquiry with the San Diego Air and Space Museum owner of all the Ryan Aeronautical Co factory records. I'm waiting to hear from them but like a research it will take time.
Old 04-07-2015, 08:05 PM
bigbird3

Check out some of our gallery's Randy.
bird
Old 04-08-2015, 12:21 PM
FlyerInOKC

Just an update on my search for old records. I wish I could show you some of the documentation the San Diego Air & Space Museum has in their archives. Unfortunately RCU doesn't let you post .pdfs like the other RC Group. I now have the manufacturer's Application For Approved Type and the Approve Type Certificates for both the SC-M and SC-W. SDASM is the repository for all old Ryan Aeronautical records and may have some on other companies who were based or had a presence in San Diego, CA. I want to give a big shout out to Debbie Seracini the Assistant Archivist who helped me. If you are interested the forms are in pdf form drop me a PM with your email address and I will send them.

Mike
Old 04-08-2015, 03:28 PM
John_M_

Well done... I'm about three hours away from San Diego... never been down that way, but glad to hear you got some response... quicker than you expected, I might add.

I'm gong to try and make some scale data plates using aluminum foil and some "blacking"... I already made some scale hammer drive screws from some round headed brass brads... I may also try printer "decal" paper and apply it to the aluminum, or maybe some thin stainless.

BTW...You can attach pdf's... just point the uploader to the pdf files just as you would an image... but there will be no thumbnail view of whats inside the pdf file.

John M,

Last edited by John_M_; 04-08-2015 at 06:55 PM.
Old 04-08-2015, 05:56 PM
panhandler

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hello
I would like to join the brotherhood.
I am currently building a Balsa USA 1/3 scale PA-18 Super Cub that I am converting to a PA-11 Super Cub.
She is 80% completed. I am modeling her after the actual Cub. I have made several alterations so far and many more to come.
Just to mention a few. I machined the elevator and ruder hinges from aluminum to replicate the actual hinges. Also fabricated the aileron hinges and control horns from brass.
Eliminated the flaps and counter weights on the elevator that are in the kit. Carved the leading edge portion of the cabin from a single block of balsa. At this point she is in the bones and going to attempt to duplicate the control sticks and pedals in the cabin for full function. And yes this bird is being built for static unfortunately. The intention is to copy her as close as possible to her counterpart.
I am amazed at the scale accuracy of the BUSA kit. So far it has been a wonderful build and enjoying every bit of it.I don't have many pics of the build but I can post a few where I am at now if anyone likes.
Dan

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Cub 1.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	97.9 KB
ID:	2087298   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cub 2.jpg
Views:	245
Size:	92.9 KB
ID:	2087299   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cub 3.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	94.3 KB
ID:	2087300  

Last edited by panhandler; 04-08-2015 at 06:04 PM.
Old 04-08-2015, 07:22 PM
John_M_

Welcome aboard PH, nice project !... the 1/3 BUSA super cub kit looks to be a lot more on scale than their 1/4 scale cub kit.... Cub Man does the Brotherhood numbering, so He'll pop in and issue you a # when he gets the time.

That's a lot of work for a static desktop model... I guess the 1:32 scale plastic models just don't have the detail you're after ... at least it will be a keeper... most RC aircraft have a time stamped on them, anywhere from a few weeks to a number of years, all depends on the RC gods... posts some images when you get it completed, it sounds like its going to be an impressive one third scale original.

John M,
Old 04-08-2015, 08:00 PM
bigbird3

Originally Posted by panhandler
Hello
I would like to join the brotherhood.
I am currently building a Balsa USA 1/3 scale PA-18 Super Cub that I am converting to a PA-11 Super Cub.
She is 80% completed. I am modeling her after the actual Cub. I have made several alterations so far and many more to come.
Just to mention a few. I machined the elevator and ruder hinges from aluminum to replicate the actual hinges. Also fabricated the aileron hinges and control horns from brass.
Eliminated the flaps and counter weights on the elevator that are in the kit. Carved the leading edge portion of the cabin from a single block of balsa. At this point she is in the bones and going to attempt to duplicate the control sticks and pedals in the cabin for full function. And yes this bird is being built for static unfortunately. The intention is to copy her as close as possible to her counterpart.
I am amazed at the scale accuracy of the BUSA kit. So far it has been a wonderful build and enjoying every bit of it.I don't have many pics of the build but I can post a few where I am at now if anyone likes.
Dan

Dan, looks like a nice bird. Check out my gallery. The throttle quadrants both move, the rudder pettles and both sticks. It is an AMR kit. Even the inside is covered stretched over dowels to simulate the tubing. The radio is all behind the rear cabin bulkhead. Got a little anal with it but it was for a friend and he paid good money. Nothing but the best for my buddy.
Welcome. Have a good time, we do.
bird
Old 04-09-2015, 04:57 AM
FlyerInOKC

Well done... I'm about three hours away from San Diego... never been down that way, but glad to hear you got some response... quicker than you expected, I might add.

I'm gong to try and make some scale data plates using aluminum foil and some "blacking"... I already made some scale hammer drive screws from some round headed brass brads... I may also try printer "decal" paper and apply it to the aluminum, or maybe some thin stainless.

BTW...You can attach pdf's... just point the uploader to the pdf files just as you would an image... but there will be no thumbnail view of whats inside the pdf file.

John M,
Tried it again it just sat there and wouldn't upload. Basic uploader didn't even have an upload button.
Old 04-09-2015, 05:50 AM
pilotbum

Originally Posted by bigbird3
Check out some of our gallery's Randy.
bird
Bird,

All I can say is, "WOW!" You've done some amazing work! I love your cockpit detail.
Old 04-09-2015, 07:45 PM
bigbird3

Bird,

All I can say is, "WOW!" You've done some amazing work! I love your cockpit detail.
Thanks Randy.
bird.
Old 04-13-2015, 06:57 AM
52larry52
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A week ago I lamented about the passing (discontinued) of the Great Planes 81" J-3 Cub ARF. Well, it's not completely gone, it's coming back but in a slightly modified form. This AM I went to the Tower Hobbies page to research a part for another plane, the "coming soon" page appeared and the first item I saw was the familiar photo of the G.P. Cub but it was labeled as a "Tower Hobby Cub". All the size and weight specs are the same, it looks identical in the photos provided, but seems to have lost it cloth covering in favor an unidentified "heat shrink covering", not cloth. Everything else looks like an exact copy to be sold under the Tower brand not Great Planes. End of May is the projected date and here's the best part.....price quoted is $179.97! The previous cloth covered G.P. version's price had creeped up over the years to $249.99. The new one is $70 less ! When is the last time you saw that happen? Even with the cloth covering missing in favor of some shiny plastic stuff the price and good flying nature of this sport scale J-3 should still appeal to some of my fellow Cub lovers. I thought some would want to know about it, check it out at the Tower site.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.