Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

***CUB BROTHERHOOD***

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

***CUB BROTHERHOOD***

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2015, 03:05 PM
John_M_

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

You're welcome Rafeek... I was going to make my own, but my LHS told me about truturn.... I'm using a Xoar 18-6 laminated propeller... when I get to the finish stage, I'm going to round off the blade tips and paint them the proper color and then add the simulated brass leading edge armor and rivets.

The truturn cub prob hub looks perfect scale if the prop you're using has a hub diameter that is a bit bigger than 1 1/2" inches; that way you get a little more reveal of the wood around the prop hub.

That's what I got out of my saito 130TD, was about 10mins at the upper throttle settings; a bit longer when cursing scale like... I'm converting my os FT-160 to CDI; I may even try a gas conversion on it later... it should do even better on fuel consumption.

John M,
Old 08-22-2015, 06:50 PM
rafeeki
My Feedback: (11)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Forgot to mention I am using a 16x8 prop on the Gemini and getting 8200-8500rpm although would like to get a bit more umph. What is your take?
Old 08-22-2015, 07:40 PM
John_M_

Not sure, try a 17-8, or maybe a 16-10... I get between 7800-7900 rpm with the 18-6 on the bench, it may unload in the air into the low 8200's, but when the CDI is complete it will turn a couple hundred more RPM I'm sure.

John M,
Old 08-27-2015, 03:20 PM
panhandler

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It has been awhile sense I posted ......... my bad.
Update ,,, I am converting the Busa PA-18 to a PA-11 static version (sorry that's what the customer desires) for the past 8 months. The build is going very well and nearing the finer detail work end of the project.
The fuse is covered in natural Solartex and at this point I am attempting to create the cowl entirely of aluminum sheeting.
Thinking in the near future I need a source for pinking. Any help in this area would be great.
Thank you
Dan
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1253.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	97.9 KB
ID:	2116929   Click image for larger version

Name:	NCM_5580.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	79.0 KB
ID:	2116930  
Old 08-31-2015, 12:52 PM
John_M_

Dan the boot cowl came out very nice, the engine cowl, you shouldn't have too much trouble making that out of aluminum sheeting as well... the only hard part will be the most forward nose section of the cowl... some annealed aluminum sheeting and some rock maple forms, along with a good hefty arbor press should do the trick.

Pink-it will have the right pinking tapes you'll need... he cuts them out of whatever color solartex you need... I surprised you didn't go with the stits system to cover your project, its more to scale covering system than solartex... I'm using solartex on my Piper project, just because I've never used it before and I'm curious, but after seeing AceRc cover his pitts in the stits system, I think I'll give that a go on my next project.

http://www.pink-it.net/index.html

John M,
Old 08-31-2015, 06:05 PM
panhandler

Thank you for the input John.
I have been putting a lot of thought into the cowl construction faze. Sense this is a static model I decided to create the cowl with 1/64" birch ply. Then over lay with aluminum sheeting. Once I get past the hinge line it should be smooth sailing. I will post pictures soon of this process. But for now here are a few pictures of what I have to work with.

Dan

Name:	IMG_0959.jpg
Views:	244
Size:	92.9 KB
ID:	2117673   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1079.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	73.7 KB
ID:	2117674   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1196.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	83.2 KB
ID:	2117675   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1197.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	74.9 KB
ID:	2117676   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1199.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	73.7 KB
ID:	2117677  
Old 08-31-2015, 06:24 PM
bigbird3

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by John_M_
Dan the boot cowl came out very nice, the engine cowl, you shouldn't have too much trouble making that out of aluminum sheeting as well... the only hard part will be the most forward nose section of the cowl... some annealed aluminum sheeting and some rock maple forms, along with a good hefty arbor press should do the trick.

Pink-it will have the right pinking tapes you'll need... he cuts them out of whatever color solartex you need... I surprised you didn't go with the stits system to cover your project, its more to scale covering system than solartex... I'm using solartex on my Piper project, just because I've never used it before and I'm curious, but after seeing AceRc cover his pitts in the stits system, I think I'll give that a go on my next project.

http://www.pink-it.net/index.html

John M,
Hey John Boy! Once you use Solartex You Won't go back to anything else! That's just my opinion, but that means a lot to me! LOL!
Missed you too buddy! Bird
Old 08-31-2015, 06:29 PM
Super08
My Feedback: (2)

I was away on a trip this past weekend and I had a fella approach me about my Cub shirt. He wanted to know if I picked it up and a J3 specialty shop. He was under the impression it was in reference to the real J3. I told him that I am no longer current and just fly RC now. He loved the T shirt.
Old 08-31-2015, 06:36 PM
panhandler

Originally Posted by bigbird3
Hey John Boy! Once you use Solartex You Won't go back to anything else! That's just my opinion, but that means a lot to me! LOL!
I agree on the solartex. Lays up very easily especially on the compound curves.
Old 09-01-2015, 06:33 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 271 Likes on 236 Posts

Originally Posted by Super08
I was away on a trip this past weekend and I had a fella approach me about my Cub shirt. He wanted to know if I picked it up and a J3 specialty shop. He was under the impression it was in reference to the real J3. I told him that I am no longer current and just fly RC now. He loved the T shirt.
Did you tell him to hit CubMan's site?
Old 09-01-2015, 07:56 AM
John_M_

Originally Posted by panhandler
Thank you for the input John.
I have been putting a lot of thought into the cowl construction faze. Sense this is a static model I decided to create the cowl with 1/64" birch ply. Then over lay with aluminum sheeting. Once I get past the hinge line it should be smooth sailing. I will post pictures soon of this process. But for now here are a few pictures of what I have to work with.

Dan
Ok, well have you ever heard of flite metal... its a thin gauge annealed sticky backed aluminum sheeting that you can get in various thicknesses and widths... should work nicely on the nose section of the cowl... sticks to wood like sh** to a blanket .

http://www.flitemetal.com/

Hey BigBird, long time... every once in a while I catch you on the tv, yellow feathers and all ... hows the Stearman re-fab coming along?

So far I like the solartex over the 21 century fabric I originally used to cover the cub... If I ever get that Paolo Severjn 33% L4 Grasshopper , I would like to try the stits on it, but you know how wishful thinking goes

John M,
Old 09-01-2015, 08:16 AM
FlyerInOKC

Ok, well have you ever heard of flite metal... its a thin gauge annealed sticky backed aluminum sheeting that you can get in various thicknesses and widths... should work nicely on the nose section of the cowl... sticks to wood like sh** to a blanket .

John M,
If you want the same kind of covering as Flitemetal but in a thinner (.012 instead of .018) covering and available by the foot in two widths (6" and 12") instead of one check here:

http://www.aero-accessories.com/Builders.html

Mike
Old 09-01-2015, 03:06 PM
panhandler

Thank you John and Mike.
In my inventory I have 100' .012 x 12" Aero Foil but that is designated to my P-38 build.
I feel the only way I can achieve the desired look of the trailing edges of the boot cowl and engine cowl is with aluminum sheeting to hold it's form.
This is what I am attempting to recreate. Here are pictures of the TE of the cowl.

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	79.6 KB
ID:	2117753   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	70.5 KB
ID:	2117754   Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	229
Size:	92.9 KB
ID:	2117755  
Old 09-01-2015, 07:00 PM
John_M_

I see, shouldn't be a issue with the right thickness aluminum sheet... so I take it the forward most section of the cowl (nose portion) will be plywood; you could always clad that part of the cowl with some aero foil, just to keep the surfaces consistent... its going to look nice when its finished... I still say stick a OS FT-300, and some servos in it, it'll probably fly just right for scale .

John M,

Last edited by John_M_; 09-01-2015 at 07:06 PM.
Old 09-01-2015, 07:08 PM
panhandler

No worries John
Although the customer wants this bird for static display she does have her secrets. For instance the entire mocked up cowl can be removed by the way of 4 screws from the fire wall and replaced with well lets say a more active cowl ;} Also all control surfaces are easily adapted for servos. Shhhhhhh

Last edited by panhandler; 09-01-2015 at 07:10 PM.
Old 09-01-2015, 07:15 PM
Super08
My Feedback: (2)

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC
Did you tell him to hit CubMan's site?
No it was a very a brief exchange and he was gone. I was eating my dinner and he just came by and tapped me on the shoulder on his way by. He quickly excused himself and was gone before I knew it. It was over in a couple of seconds.
Old 09-01-2015, 08:32 PM
bigbird3

Hey BigBird, long time... every once in a while I catch you on the tv, yellow feathers and all ... hows the Stearman re-fab coming along?

So far I like the solartex over the 21 century fabric I originally used to cover the cub... If I ever get that Paolo Severjn 33% L4 Grasshopper , I would like to try the stits on it, but you know how wishful thinking goes

John M,

Really cute! Hear he's going to HBO! Probably going to do something nasty! Kids should'nt watch HBO anyway.
Full size Stearman is still on hold. Hank is too busy going to Alaska and hunting! The guy is spread out like a picnic lunch!
I'm building an indoor shop on the back of the house. Don't have much energy after the heart attacks. Dec. will be two years! Still fighting VA for 100% disability.
Just finished framing up a BUSA Flybaby Bipe. Was going to put my OS 320 Pegusus on it and convert it to gas but it needs bearings after sitting for six years plus. Also, it's a five pound engine!!!!!! I had it on my GP 1/3 Pitts. Cut the extension engine box off and it balanced perfect!
When you use stitts, don't stretch it when laying it out like model covering. Lay it on VERY loosly. It will shrink way more than what we use. It will break any tender structure. We used it on the Stearman and it takes three stages of heat the last being 350 degrees and this was the 'light' May not need all that heat on a model. Still, it's a lot of grief next to solartex.
I thought 21 centry was great, just at the beginning then had a hard time getting it to stay stuck to itself and it's way too heavy to boot!
Well, it's time for this ole fart to check for leaks in my eye lids. Take care my friend.
Ever hear from Leroy? Did he finish the Super Cub? Hope his PTSD has settled down! I did finally get 10% rating on mine. You know, it's really sad to finally find out after 45 years why you've been an F-UP and messed up! Now what the heck can you really do about it? Change? REALLY? At 64? I've been an A-HOLE, in other peoples view of course, for most of my life! Like a friend of mine once said "IT AIN'T NO FUN WHEN THE RABBIT HAS THE GUN"! Oh well. no use in crying about it now. Catcha later dude.
Adios Amigo.
Stay in touch.
Bird.
Old 09-02-2015, 07:34 AM
pilotbum

Leroy has been continuing to post his build in RCG since he discontinued it here in RCU--although not as actively as he was when he was posting in RCU. Last post I saw he was headed out of town for a bit to the Oregon Coast for a bit to escape the smoke from all the fires in his neck of the woods. He didn't plan on getting back to his cub until September-ish.
Old 09-02-2015, 07:49 AM
FlyerInOKC

That is good to hear, is he still as touchy?
Old 09-02-2015, 09:14 AM
John_M_

Really cute! Hear he's going to HBO! Probably going to do something nasty! Kids should'nt watch HBO anyway.
Full size Stearman is still on hold. Hank is too busy going to Alaska and hunting! The guy is spread out like a picnic lunch!
I'm building an indoor shop on the back of the house. Don't have much energy after the heart attacks. Dec. will be two years! Still fighting VA for 100% disability.
Just finished framing up a BUSA Flybaby Bipe. Was going to put my OS 320 Pegusus on it and convert it to gas but it needs bearings after sitting for six years plus. Also, it's a five pound engine!!!!!! I had it on my GP 1/3 Pitts. Cut the extension engine box off and it balanced perfect!
When you use stitts, don't stretch it when laying it out like model covering. Lay it on VERY loosly. It will shrink way more than what we use. It will break any tender structure. We used it on the Stearman and it takes three stages of heat the last being 350 degrees and this was the 'light' May not need all that heat on a model. Still, it's a lot of grief next to solartex.
I thought 21 centry was great, just at the beginning then had a hard time getting it to stay stuck to itself and it's way too heavy to boot!
Well, it's time for this ole fart to check for leaks in my eye lids. Take care my friend.
Ever hear from Leroy? Did he finish the Super Cub? Hope his PTSD has settled down! I did finally get 10% rating on mine. You know, it's really sad to finally find out after 45 years why you've been an F-UP and messed up! Now what the heck can you really do about it? Change? REALLY? At 64? I've been an A-HOLE, in other peoples view of course, for most of my life! Like a friend of mine once said "IT AIN'T NO FUN WHEN THE RABBIT HAS THE GUN"! Oh well. no use in crying about it now. Catcha later dude.
Adios Amigo.
Stay in touch.
Bird.

Hey Bird, an indoor shop? where were you building before outdoors ...

Stits offers a lite version of the poly fiber fabric for the models, its not so hard on the airframe when shrinking, but you are right you need to pay attention, you can distort an airframe with sig koverall, and even silk, we're suppose to know what we are doing, right !, or at least I think I know what I'm doing... at the end of my work bench I have a big tin of fudge, it makes me look like a professional

Well the 320 Pegasus converted to gas, it may not have the power it had, raise the compression some... that's and interesting designed engine, replacing bearings shouldn't be too difficult.... when I got my FT-160 off ebay, I put a set of SS bearings in it from boca, we'll see how well they hold up.

I never had an issue with 21st century sticking to itself, but I always brushed on some stix-it on the painted side before I sealed the seams.

Just keep pushing on the VA Bird, I don't get this country, Obama's big push to get everyone unaffordable health care, and the streets are still full of homeless vets, its an insult on so many levels, I'll be glad when that sob is out of office.

John M,
Old 09-02-2015, 09:19 AM
John_M_

Originally Posted by panhandler
No worries John
Although the customer wants this bird for static display she does have her secrets. For instance the entire mocked up cowl can be removed by the way of 4 screws from the fire wall and replaced with well lets say a more active cowl ;} Also all control surfaces are easily adapted for servos. Shhhhhhh
just in case someone gets the itch... I like it !!

John M,
Old 09-02-2015, 10:49 AM
FlyerInOKC

John, you said "we're suppose to know what we are doing, right !" I think you're jumping to conclusions considering some of the YouTube videos posted.

On homeless vets problem I work with the VA to make a living and I can tell you George W Bush gets as much if not more blame as Obama. We went into Iraq in 2003 and have been at war ever since. In that time Bush tried to cut the death benefit to Vet's families to $10,000. How can you feed kids on that? Neither Bush or Obama or Congress increased funding to the VA to support the explosions of veterans needing help from 10+ years worth of US war casualties! As far as I'm concern if you vote for ANY incumbent federal. state. or local you are turning your back on the vets. They all regardless of position or party affiliation have turned their backs on the returning vets. Call me reactionary, but then explain why there are only 2 states can make a claim of 0% percent homeless vets. The VA is crying for doctors, nurses, and other healthcare related professionals but were is the money from Congress to pay them? We might have to cut Welfare to oil companies and other big corporations making billions of dollars if we want to treat the vets and put roofs over homeless vets and their families heads. If you think the VA is the problem go down to your local VA hospital and try to walk the halls, they are jammed with vets being cared for. Then look at the number of hours doctors and nurses are working and the rate they are burning out. Then go home and vote ALL the current bums out and make sure their replacements know they will be joining their predecessors if they don't get off their backsides and fix the problem in their first term. I'm all for patriotism but vets can't eat you patriotism so force the politicians to fix the problem! OK I'm thru venting now can we get back to Cubs?

Last edited by FlyerInOKC; 09-02-2015 at 10:53 AM.
Old 09-02-2015, 11:48 AM
John_M_

You're right on the money Flyer !... we just pick on the current administration in place, they all make promises they never plan on keeping... but obama had the opportunity to do differently as being a milestone first black man to be elected into office, he could have made historic changes, or at least made a valiant effort, but he choose the stereo typical roll of dumb ass... god forbid if Hillery gets in, she's already proven her intentions, and inability to make good decisions.

LoL, I'll leave well enough alone; enough of the political chat, or someone will complain, I've already have one mark against me .

John M,
Old 09-02-2015, 12:09 PM
FlyerInOKC

I think the worse of the worse would be Trump. He inherited a lot of money without ever doing a day of real work in his life. He is only interested in getting more money and feeding his over-inflated ego. He can't govern by suing and declaring bankruptcy leaving your creditors holding the bag like he did to build his personal wealth up. If you want to lead a country you have to actually do something and not delegate to Yes men. You need answers and hiring smart people isn't it.. From his own remarks its plan to see he hasn't a clue what the constitution is little alone even read it. He gets all his news from TV so we know he doesn't know squat about anything but what the media he decries feeds him. As for the rest of them bums on both sides of the coin I think the old saying about the C students and not the best and brightest running the country. If this lot is the best we have to offer we are really on trouble!
Old 09-02-2015, 12:47 PM
bigbird3

Hey Bird, an indoor shop? where were you building before outdoors ...

Stits offers a lite version of the poly fiber fabric for the models, its not so hard on the airframe when shrinking, but you are right you need to pay attention, you can distort an airframe with sig koverall, and even silk, we're suppose to know what we are doing, right !, or at least I think I know what I'm doing... at the end of my work bench I have a big tin of fudge, it makes me look like a professional

Well the 320 Pegasus converted to gas, it may not have the power it had, raise the compression some... that's and interesting designed engine, replacing bearings shouldn't be too difficult.... when I got my FT-160 off ebay, I put a set of SS bearings in it from boca, we'll see how well they hold up.

I never had an issue with 21st century sticking to itself, but I always brushed on some stix-it on the painted side before I sealed the seams.

Just keep pushing on the VA Bird, I don't get this country, Obama's big push to get everyone unaffordable health care, and the streets are still full of homeless vets, its an insult on so many levels, I'll be glad when that sob is out of office.

John M,

Perhaps I should have said 'inhouse shop'. NUT! I knew you would go there! LOL! I'm curently in a two car model airplane shop. I want to turn it into a wood working and furniture shop, as if I don't have enough going on!
Fudge on the bench........cute!
Not sure about the power difference on the 320 conversion. I've been told ball bearings won't take the pounding rollers will. Wonder if they have roller conversions? Also, I wouldn't dare dig into it. I would send it to hobby services, they'de be able to find everything it might need if there is more.
21 centry has a tendancy to loose grip around wing tips or any tight curved edge. Neat idea but needs more engineering.......new version maybe????
VA........Vermonts White River Junction VA is the epicenter for PTSD research in the country. They have taken very good care of me. There have been no delays or 'lost patients' here. I see them once a month for cumidin, blood check, and some other appointments, sometimes up to three times a month. they are 50 miles away, 40.00 travel pay!

Ya know, everybody keeps ragging on Obama! Who could have done better? RETORICLE! No one knows! Because no one else was elected! He was! Last time it was 'Bush' did this and Bush did that. Before that it was Clinton and before that it was............get where I'm going? As long as MAN is in power, he will rule his fellow man to his ruin. The good book say's 'The scenes change but everything stays the same'.
None of you fella's can say who can or could do better because they never have yet. At least their track record is solid, no one has ever solved the world problems or their country's. And they never will! Just think about it, EVERY form of government has been tried through out time! Which one has succeded? NONE! Democracy is the best right? Rome and Greece were democracies. As soon as they accepted homosexuality as 'normal', the family unit fell apart and both societies collapsed! Here we are at those very cross roads! This country is surrounded and they don't even know what is surrounding them! They think it's ISIS or some other terrorist group. It's all coming from within!
Well, can't wait to see who sputters about that!
It's just MY opinion and as far as I know, I'm still entitled to it!
One thing about that funny haired billionaire, He says things the rest of them mealy mouth politically correct fellas won't!
All in good fun guys.
Bird

Time for this ole guy to get a nap.
I'll check in later. Jeepers,it's good to be back!

Last edited by bigbird3; 09-02-2015 at 01:00 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.