Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Have questions, need answers please:

Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Have questions, need answers please:

Old 11-02-2011, 05:20 AM
Turqui
My Feedback: (139)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Have questions, need answers please:

I just purchased a used top flite dc-3, and got my attention the fact that the plane is painted, the exterior is not covered with monokote; the wood was painted directly.
Any benefit using this technique?
I have a top flite cessna wich i used monokote for covering, and it doesnt look nice, so im wondering how hard is just to remove the monokote and painted?
Any product that must be applied to the wood before painting?preparation?
Wich paint?
Procedure?
Thanks for your advices.
Old 11-02-2011, 06:06 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: Have questions, need answers please:

It's up to what type of finish you're looking for. If you don't mind the look of painted wood (with wood grain showing through) you can just paint it with fuel-proof paint (or regular paint with a fuel-proof clear coat)

If you don't want the wood grain to show through, there are many techniques you can use to fill the grain first. The most common is to fiberglass the entire surface.

If your present covering is MonoKote, the hardest part will be removing it! Heat will help, but that stuff it a bear to get off cleanly