Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Scratch building Astro Hog ( help with tail)

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Scratch building Astro Hog ( help with tail)

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2011, 04:41 PM
cabinetmaker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Scratch building Astro Hog ( help with tail)

Scratch building an astro hog from plans from 1983. I think I am missing some prints, I know I am missing the picture book that came with it. Having trouble figuring out the vert stab FN-1 FN-2 and FN-3 and how they go together in relation to the horizontal stab and elevator. Also how to connect it to the fuse. Some close up pictures of the rear of the plane in the bones would be great, or some pics of the parts from a kit. Remember I am building all these parts from scratch , no kit.
Thanks
Old 11-08-2011, 05:58 PM
debspersonaldogwalker

Default RE: Scratch building Astro Hog ( help with tail)

Hope this helps. The instructions aren't clear enough to scan. The bottom of fn-3 glues to the back of the fuselage. The front bottom of fn-3 and bottom of fn-2 glue to the top of the stabilizer. The bottom of fn-1 glues to the stab, back of the last former, and top of the fuselage.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay75130.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	24.4 KB
ID:	1683882  
Old 11-08-2011, 06:09 PM
shark again

I just started scratch building a Hog fuselage today. I had one years ago (still have the back half of the fuse and the wing).  If you have the side view on the plans, that is the only picture there is of the verticle stabilizer except for some pictures in the instruction book.  F1, 2, and 3 are 1/4 balsa glued together - the bottom of them fits the contour of the fuse without "'keying" into it, it just gets glued on top. It needs a little half hole for the elevator joiner dowel. The rudder is 1/4 balsa tapered thinner to the back. There are also some triangle shaped fairing blocks that go on the front of the horizontal stabilizer towards the front of the fin. They are necessary because the horizontal stab is tapered, it gets thicker in the middle.  Do you have the horizontal stab figured out yet? Maybe you haven't gotten that far yet.
Jim S.

Old 11-08-2011, 06:50 PM
cabinetmaker

Hey, Thanks alot guys. It seems hard to believe that the vert just butt glues to the top like that, but I guess it doesnt really have a load on it. The guys in the other forum said the tail section was held on with rubber bands, is that true?
As far as the horizontal stab... I think I have it. Those 2 main spars that sit on top and bottom of the ribs create the airfoil once the covering is stretched over it, am I correct?
Old 11-08-2011, 07:03 PM
debspersonaldogwalker

That is correct and it creates a nicely stiff, strong, and lightweight stabilizer. The filler blocks that glue to the sides of the fin provide good bracing for it. The stabilizer center section has some 3/32" sheeting.

Name:	Bz77985.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	23.2 KB
ID:	1683895  
Old 11-09-2011, 05:16 AM
shark again

There are no rubber bands anywhere, maybe the very first Astro Hogs built in 1957 used that -but not our planes. It sounds like you have the horizontal stab figured out. There doesn't seem to be any drawings of the top formers F3 and F4, we'll just have to measure the height off the plan and fake it. These aren't really plans that were intended to build a plane from, just instructions for a kit - but there's enough info there to work with.
I got the formers F2, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 cut out yesterday from 3/32 ply. F1 will be 1/4 ply I guess. I will have to splice the 3/32 balsa sides, I don't have any pieces long enough and I want to build this out of stuff laying around if I can. I will need a bunch of 1/4 and 3/16 square sticksthough. Be sure to include the ply doublers on the inside of the fuse in the wing area.
What engine are you thinking of using? I have a Fox 60 and a Saito 90 that I could use- haven't decided.
Are you going to put the stockdihedral in the wing? The wing I havehas a very small amount, just barely noticable. That plane flew real nice, until... oops.
I had built it as a taildragger and didn't put the wheels on the wing, had an aluminum landing gear mounted just ahead of the wing.
Jim S.
Old 11-09-2011, 05:00 PM
cabinetmaker

Jim, I made the F3 the same as F2 Just the top half. and F 4 just about 1/4" taller than F5, it gives you a straight line to mount the headrest on.
I have a 19.8 cc Kerowitz gas motor I am going to try. I need to find an electronic ignition for it so I can get rid of all that bulk on the front. I'm thinking about making a fiberglass cowl for it.
I also am planning on using gear in front of the wings.
I think I will use 6 deg dihedral, I think the plans call for 12. Is that right?
I might post some pics later tonight.
Old 11-11-2011, 01:05 PM
KitBuilder

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I found this on the web.. side view..

Name:	Fc90406.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	35.7 KB
ID:	1685243  
Old 11-15-2011, 06:50 PM
Red_Jeepster

The original Astro-Hog in 1957 did indeed have the wing and tail fastened with rubber bands. The kits produced by SIG are updated.
I just picked one up today from a fellow modeler - still in the shrinkwrap! I've been looking ot build another one of these for years, and now I have no excuses left.
I'd like to cover it in STITS-LITE fabric and paint. But that decision is a long way off.

Anyone have comments about putting my OS .91 SurpassII 4-stroke up front? I also have a great OS .60 2-stroke that needs a good home, maybe it would be a better choice??? Looking for qualified opinions. (if there is such a thing, LOL)
Old 11-15-2011, 07:22 PM
shark again

I'm still working on my scratch built Astro Hog, and am using a Saito 90 four stroke. When I held the engine against the side view I realized that long motor with a regular motor mount would put the weight pretty far forward. I made sometee shaped mounts out of 3/8 aluminum plate material that allowed me to get the back of the carb almost touching the firewall. This puts the cylinder and prop in about the same place as a sixty two stroke would be.
I have the fuse pretty much done and am fitting the wing and horizontal stab / rudder from my old Hog to it. I'm starting to wonder if it would have been easier to just build new ones. Today I realized the fuse sits at a slight angle to the wing when viewed from the front. Just enough to notice if you look close, but enough to bug me. Tomorrow I'll add a 1/16 piece to the wing cutout on one side, and will also have to file around on the holes for the dowels. arrggg.
Fabric and paint would look nice - my first one was fiberglassed and painted cream and maroon. Astro Hogs are good looking planes - and paint doesn't come loose like plastic covering!
Jim S.
Old 11-15-2011, 09:34 PM
debspersonaldogwalker

The .91 4stroke would be more than adequate. Mine flies at around 6700 feet elevation with Thunder Tiger .91 4stroke. I rarely use more than 1/2 throttle. It has 3 inch wheels on a Dubro composite landing gear mounted in front of the wing on the fuselage so there's a little more nose weight. It balanced fine with servos, battery, and receiver located near the rear of the wing bay and propeller close to where the plans would have it. Either engine sounds fine to me but of course different.
Old 11-16-2011, 04:34 AM
Red_Jeepster

I am concerned with the ground/ prop clearance if the LG is left to print (taildragger) and I use a .91 4-stroke.