Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Plane kit for DLE20

Iam building a TF P-51, and will be putting a DLE20 in it, but before Ifinish the install, I would like to break the engine in on another plane first, something that is trainer like, slow, easy driver, simple, fast build and nothing fancy. Ithink it would be something like a 1.20 sized 4 stroke size plane, but not a clue what to look for. Kit or arf, doesnt matter, just needs to be big enough to handle the motor.

Iam putting a lot of time into the 51, and want to be 100% sure the engine wont be giving me problems when Ifly it, so this is what Iwant this plane for, and if I really like flying it, will just get another DLE for it. 4 channel, no retracts, tail dragger, simple.
    SIG Brotherhood # 3
    Mustang Brotherhood # 6
    Corsair Brotherhood # 86
    Kadet Brotherhood # 24
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/B-17e-...18159428244374

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Plane kit for DLE20

ORIGINAL: acdii

IĀ*am building a TF P-51, and will be putting a DLE20 in it, but before IĀ*finish the install, I would like to break the engine in on another plane first, something that is trainer like, slow, easy driver, simple, fast build and nothing fancy.Ā* IĀ*think it would be something like a 1.20 sized 4 stroke size plane, but not a clue what to look for.Ā* Kit or arf, doesnt matter, just needs to be big enough to handle the motor.

IĀ*am putting a lot of time into the 51, and want to be 100% sure the engine wont be giving me problems when IĀ*fly it, so this is what IĀ*want this plane for, and if I really like flying it, will just get another DLE for it. Ā* 4 channel, no retracts, tail dragger, simple.

There is no way to be 100% sure of anything in life, so get that baloney out of your head.

Even if your engine runs perfectly in your first model, the fact that you are reinstalling it in another model opens up the possibility of making errors during the install. So, the first thing to think of is not to fly this second model in a fashion that imperils the model/engine/radio should the engine inadvertently quit. In other words, no 3D until you have fifty or so flights on the model and you know the sound of the engine when it is running properly.

As far as break-in goes, that is a hold over from glow engines that is pretty much obsolete these days. Why? Because gasoline as a fuel possesses lubricity in abundance, whereas alcohol does not.

If you still want to fly an easier model first, there is always the Global Hobbies Dragon Lady 60, which easily will accept your DLE 20cc engine. Or, there is the Great Plains Giant Big Stik ARF. Or the World Models 1/4 scale Cub, just to name a few. Good luck.

Ed Cregger
    \"Practice makes prefect\"

Saito Club Member #52

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

It's more for getting the hang of a fuel based engine, I have only flown electric so far.  I think I found one to play with, a Bridi kit, either a Krafty or aircruiser 60.   Would rather munch a $100 plane than one that costs about $700.  Simple, no retracts or struts, or flaps, or gear sequencers to worry about, and it will give me time to get comfortable with a popper instead of the hummers.

The Electrics give instant torque and RPM, where the glow and gas doesnt, and being used to punching the throttle when I need to get out of a problem is something the gas wont give me, and considering the P-51 is not a trainer, I figured trying it out in something slower and less likely to spin into the ground for the first few gallons, would be the best way to go. '

If it would fit my T-34, heck that would be the place to put it, but I'm afraid it would wreck the plane with the vibrations since it was built as an EP.

I did see the Big Stick ARF, but it would defeat the purpose or using a low cost kit for trials.  I found a Senior Telemaster too, but they are out of stock.

What I like about the DLE is it is less expensive than a .90 4 stroke, and far less expensive to run.  I have been considering converting my Eflite 34 to glow, so I can have longer stick times, but I would need to beef it up and fuel proof it, so this route is more practical instead. If I find out I like the Bridi, I may just get another DLE and forget about the T-34 altogether and leave it EP.   The T-34 is fun to fly, but 8 minute flight times are annoying.
    SIG Brotherhood # 3
    Mustang Brotherhood # 6
    Corsair Brotherhood # 86
    Kadet Brotherhood # 24

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I've never bothered to do much more then run up a gasser to temp then tuned and fly. I do run a new gasser on the rich side but that's about it. After a flight or two I lean them out. Another good test bed for the 20 is a Pulse from Horizon but any 1.20 size of plane and a number of the bigger 60s will work. You can go into the gas engine forum and read up on the DLE 20 and see what others are using for planes and break in.
    Drinking and driving are illegal, why do bars have parking lots
    Daisy Air Guns, keeping kids off your lawn for 100 years

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Istarted a trhead RE breaking in the DLE and got a lot of RTFT, the one with 192 pages. Well Idid start reading it, but after 5 pages of Iwant one, when can Iget one and other crap I gave up. I did get the answers Ineeded though, which has led me to post this thread for an alternate plane to start out with.

Ihave an Apprentice and Eflite T-34 Mentor that Ifly now, but like I mentioned above, they are Electric, with instant power, where the Gas or Glow will have a second or two delay, which can be the difference between escape or a crash. My weak spot is still landing. So having a plane that is easy to land to get the feel for the gas engine would be the best way to go before Iput it in the P-51 and maiden her. Especially since I am going all scale with it, with full retracts and sequenced wheel doors. Ilove building planes, love flying them too, but also very cautious with flying a new plane, and will be until I can get the landings down perfect every time. When I get it lined up correctly, they land very soft, but the lining up is where Iam having problems. The other difference is both my planes are tri gears, Ihavent flown a tail dragger yet except on a sim.
    SIG Brotherhood # 3
    Mustang Brotherhood # 6
    Corsair Brotherhood # 86
    Kadet Brotherhood # 24

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I just did what you are planning to do, using the AMR 20 trainer and a DLE 20. Since I'm still fairly new to gas engines, I ran a couple of tanks through it, then had an experienced gas engine friend check my needle settings. After we were convinced the motor was a little rich on the low end and just breaking into a 2 cycle on the high end, we flew it. The DLE 20 had way more power than the AMR 20 trainer needed, and the 16x8 Xoar prop wasn't quite enough (17x6 would be better). Make sure your needle settings are good, run a couple of tanks through it, and go fly. Unless you want a gas goof-off plane like I did, trainers aren't necessary for the DLE 20.
    Wanted: Smarter thumbs...

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

IĀ*started a trhead RE breaking in the DLE and got a lot of RTFT, the one with 192 pages. Well IĀ*did start reading it, but after 5 pages of IĀ*want one, when can IĀ*get one and other crap I gave up. I did get the answers IĀ*needed though, which has led me to post this thread for an alternate plane to start out with.

IĀ*have an Apprentice and Eflite T-34 Mentor that IĀ*fly now, but like I mentioned above, they are Electric, with instant power, where the Gas or Glow will have a second or two delay, which can be the difference between escape or a crash. My weak spot is still landing. So having a plane that is easy to land to get the feel for the gas engine would be the best way to go before IĀ*put it in the P-51 and maiden her.Ā* Especially since I am going all scale with it, with full retracts and sequenced wheel doors.Ā* IĀ*love building planes, love flying them too, but also very cautious with flying a new plane, and will be until I can get the landings down perfect every time. When I get it lined up correctly, they land very soft,Ā* but the lining up is where IĀ*am having problems.Ā* The other difference is both my planes are tri gears, IĀ*havent flown a tail dragger yet except on a sim.
    The Dragon Lady and Pulse are both good choices but keep in mind, a warbird lands a bit different then a floater, they like to be flown in and don't float like most sport planes. Another floater is the 4*. I also like the Super Sportster because it isn't a hard plane to fly but it doesn't float in as much as the others so it may be a good choice for you? If you think of the DLE as just another 1.20 engine you can choose the plane you really like. Gassers are just easier then glow engines. They break in during flight and after a gallon or two it's broken in as good as it ever will get. Simple to tune and once set correctly it can be forgotten. Not effected by weather temps like a glow engine and dead sticks are almost a ting of the past.
    Look in magazines and see what plane jumps out at you. Maybe a nice Extra or Edge if you want to jump into a war bird right away. Plenty of ARFs for you to look at. I don't know if a floater is going to teach you a lot. They land pretty much like a trainer.
    Drinking and driving are illegal, why do bars have parking lots
    Daisy Air Guns, keeping kids off your lawn for 100 years

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: NM2K

IĀ*am building a TF P-51, and will be putting a DLE20 in it, but before IĀ*finish the install, I would like to break the engine in on another plane first, something that is trainer like, slow, easy driver, simple, fast build and nothing fancy.Ā* IĀ*think it would be something like a 1.20 sized 4 stroke size plane, but not a clue what to look for.Ā* Kit or arf, doesnt matter, just needs to be big enough to handle the motor.

IĀ*am putting a lot of time into the 51, and want to be 100% sure the engine wont be giving me problems when IĀ*fly it, so this is what IĀ*want this plane for, and if I really like flying it, will just get another DLE for it. Ā* 4 channel, no retracts, tail dragger, simple.

There is no way to be 100% sure of anything in life, so get that baloney out of your head.

Even if your engine runs perfectly in your first model, the fact that you are reinstalling it in another model opens up the possibility of making errors during the install. So, the first thing to think of is not to fly this second model in a fashion that imperils the model/engine/radio should the engine inadvertently quit. In other words, no 3D until you have fifty or so flights on the model and you know the sound of the engine when it is running properly.

As far as break-in goes, that is a hold over from glow engines that is pretty much obsolete these days. Why? Because gasoline as a fuel possesses lubricity in abundance, whereas alcohol does not.

If you still want to fly an easier model first, there is always the Global Hobbies Dragon Lady 60, which easily will accept your DLE 20cc engine. Or, there is the Great Plains Giant Big Stik ARF. Or the World Models 1/4 scale Cub, just to name a few. Good luck.

Ed Cregger

I don't think he's going to be doing any 3D with a P-51. But I'll agree this whole breaking engine in on another plane is complete BS.
    Club Saito #15

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: aerobatixkid

ORIGINAL: NM2K

Ed Cregger

I don't think he's going to be doing any 3D with a P-51. But I'll agree this whole breaking engine in on another plane is complete BS.

I got distracted when typing my response and confused it with another post. No one wants my attention until they hear me typing on the keyboard.

Ed Cregger
    \"Practice makes prefect\"

Saito Club Member #52

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Keep in mind that whatever plane you decide on, you will need enough ground clearance for a 17" prop. FYI, my AMR 20 trainer weighs in ~10 lb and has ~22oz/sq ft wing loading. The DLE 20 has more power than a 120 4-stroke glow engine and hauls this plane around with authority. It can climb out >45Ā°!
    Wanted: Smarter thumbs...

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I'm building the same plane (TF P-51) and am putting the same engine in it. As far as I know, gas engines don't need a break in like the glow engines do. Correct me if I'm wrong though.

Jason

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Another vote for the Dragon Lady .60-.90 if you can find one.....I have one with a G20 and it is an amazing plane!!!! My fav. of all time and I have had lots from glow to 100cc+!!!
    I didn\'\'\'\'t choose Mojo, Mojo chose me PRO BRO #1963