Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Unionville 6' Otter

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Unionville 6' Otter

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2011, 05:22 PM
LuvBipes
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Unionville 6' Otter

I'm framing up a Unionville 6' Otter for a club member and since it's not a commonly modeled subject, I thought I'd post some pics here.

The wood quality in the kit is very good, but this must be best described as a "builder's" kit, since very little is done for you. It's really more like scratch building with the ribs cut out for you. I also am making several mods to make the plane more reliable to operate and set up.

I sacrificed scale appearance in the stab mounting area in name of safety. The recommended method is failure-prone IMO.

The plans call for rubber bands, but the owner requested a bolt-on wing system

The wing is ready to cover minus the center section fairing, while the fuse still needs the firewall installed as well as all the bits that will give it a rounded shape.

Old 11-18-2011, 07:53 PM
crash bandicoute

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Unionville 6' Otter

is this some kind of short kit or built from a set of plans? looks pretty nice so far.
Old 11-19-2011, 06:11 AM
LuvBipes

ORIGINAL: crash bandicoute
is this some kind of short kit or built from a set of plans? looks pretty nice so far.
Crash, this is being build from a kit by a company here in Ontario called Unionville Hobbies. I don't think they have a web site (it's a mom'n pop operation), but Great Hobbies lists all their kits here: http://www.greathobbies.com/search/r...srchvendor=UVH

I mentioned it was like scratch building, because most of the fuse is built from 1/4" balsa sticks that you have to cut/fit yourself. It takes a lot of care to keep everything square and true, because, the kit has none of the modern interlocking features that you get, for example, with a Great Planes or Goldberg kit.
Old 11-20-2011, 11:14 PM
AERORICH73

Bipes: Your construction is excellently done. I have just downloaded the website so I can purchase a Beaver also. It is one of my most favorite civilan aircraft. Keep us on track with your build.

Rich
Old 11-21-2011, 03:58 AM
TomCrump

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The construction of your Otter is typical for a kit built model of this type. I enjoy the process, myself.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr49147.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	398.1 KB
ID:	1689305   Click image for larger version

Name:	Je99273.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	416.2 KB
ID:	1689306  
Old 11-22-2011, 08:48 PM
LuvBipes

Here's an update: I mocked-up the fin/rudder. Boy the sucker is big, see standard size servo for scale.

Built the wing fairing to blend the wing to the fuse. A little fiddly to get right, but balsa is so forgiving. Mess up, glue another piece on and sand again to fit!

Firewall installed. This one had me head scratching for a while, because you have to figure out exactly where it should be placed. Using the plans, I marked the engine thrust line on the fuse sides and on the firewall. Once that was done, I had reference points to make sure everything lined-up as it should.

Old 11-24-2011, 05:52 PM
LuvBipes

Not much apparent progress today. In a sense I actually moved "backwards" a little after determining that the supplied engine would never fit into the cowl with the stock firewall setup. The only solution I could see was to recess the engine mount which meant cutting into the freshly installed firewall.

The engine is mounted in a way to have the exhaust come out the bottom of the plane and position the cowl cut outs in a position that will be less conspicuous. I also cut away part of the engine mount to allow me to slide the engine back as far as possible. This setup will place the engine inside the cowl and have the prop about 1/4" past the nose.

Old 11-30-2011, 09:03 PM
LuvBipes

Made some progress last couple of days.

Carving and sanding then sheeting the nose section proved to be the most challenging part of the build so far. The sheeting conformed to the compound curve at the front once I had it soaked with water.

Pooch, however, is not impressed.

Old 12-02-2011, 11:11 AM
prr6100

keep up the good work
Old 12-05-2011, 05:36 AM
LuvBipes

Thanks Prr6100, I got a fair bit done in last few days, the fuse is basically ready to cover.

Firts I assembled and test fitted the tail feathers, look at that rudder, boy is it BIG.

Next I started sheeting the bottom of the fuse, which was fairly strait forward. Note the use of small tabs to help locate the sheeting along fuse side.

Next, I started installing the formers running towards the back of the plane and here is where I encountered a slightly annoying problem:

The formers aren't sized correctly, so that in order to get the stringers to sit properly, they have to be ressessed into some formers, while over others, they have to be shimmed. Not difficult to do, but quite fiddly.

The end result was pretty good, I think.

Old 12-05-2011, 06:53 AM
prr6100

The rudder is huge, what servo's are you going to use on it?
Old 12-05-2011, 10:24 AM
LuvBipes

We'll be using standard stuff for the servos: Hitec 322HD all around. I'm guessing the plane will come out around 6 lbs, so for its intended mission, standard servos should hopefully suffice.
Old 12-06-2011, 02:59 PM
LuvBipes

The request by the owner was for a frame-up job, and the plane is now ready to cover.

Here's the strut setup. In the close-up pic, note fiberglass applied to area where the strut meets the wing. This will make it more ding and scratch resistant.

And the completed OTTER in all its glory

Oh, one major deviation from the plans was the use of an aluminum landing gear. The kit comes with lengths of 5/32" and 3/32" music wire that you have to bend and solder yourself. It was a lot easier and quicker to source a aluminum unit.

Old 12-07-2011, 05:36 AM
prr6100

Nice craftsmanship, how many hours a day do you work on it?
Old 12-07-2011, 06:30 AM
LuvBipes

Thanks, I don't keep detailed records of the amount of hours involved, but I know it took me 7 weeks working a couple of hours each day, I guess.
Old 12-08-2011, 04:11 PM
LuvBipes

Peter (on right) receives his new plane at the RCFCT meeting last night.

Old 12-09-2011, 04:18 AM
TomCrump

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You did a great job. I'm sure that the owner is very pleased, too.
Old 12-10-2011, 07:20 AM
prr6100

I agree
Old 09-21-2013, 06:31 PM
Moon_Wolf

Well this is an old thread but I have a Unionville Otter in my basement I bought prior to 1990. It was partially built and still sitting in the box. Not sure I will every complete it as my heart has gone to RTF and multicopter. Maybe some year I will get it done. Love the pics above of the Otter, at least now I know what I have left to do.
Old 09-22-2013, 03:52 AM
prr6100

Does Unionville hobby not make many kits, they seem to be hard to find
Old 09-23-2013, 04:29 AM
LuvBipes

I'm not sure the kits are still in production, but Pinnacle Hobbies had a small inventory last time I checked.

http://www.pinnaclehobby.ca/
Old 11-06-2013, 02:41 PM
curtyyy

Hi All

I bought this kit quite some time ago from a canadian homepage which is no longer existing i think (scalercmodels.com or anything like that)
I was happy since i couldn't find any good kit here in switzerland.
I am currently about as far as you were in the first picture and i plan to add some of mine here too.
The kit is very nice and it starts to look good now (: i couldn't find much information about this kit but I'm glad to finally compare my model to someone elses.
The manual is sometimes a bit overcomplicated.. i plan change the wing mount a little bit and the landing gear is also not very nice.
The biggest experiment i am facing is that i want to put a brushless inside.
Do you have pictures of the finished model?
I am very interested in the outcome of your project.
Keep up the good work!
Old 11-06-2013, 05:00 PM
prr6100

There is a build of a Norseman, which is similar, on RC Canada. If you like I can try to send you the link, you may be able to find it on RC Canada, have you looked at that site?