Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

bigger Something Extra?

Old 11-21-2011, 05:07 AM
shark again

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default bigger Something Extra?

Has anyone ever built a bigger version of the Something Extra? I was thinking of around 72 inch span. I have a plane, and I guess I could measure everthing on it and scale it up - it would be easier if I still had the directions and they had outlines of the ribs and formers. Any thoughts?
Jim S.

Old 11-21-2011, 05:36 AM
davidgeorge212

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: bigger Something Extra?

When I built mine, I dont remember seeing the rib patterns on the plans. They just had the root rib drawn where its located on the fuselage. If you have the plans, it would probably be real easy to just scale them up and build off the enlarged plans though.
Old 11-21-2011, 08:18 AM
Gray Beard

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Or trace the parts so you have a sheet of templates for the complete plane then take your sheet of templates to Kinko's and have them enlarged as big as you like. In case of crash damage templates can be a big help.
Old 11-21-2011, 10:15 AM
soarrich

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

You might just want to get a large Uproar kit and add a turtledeck, I've had both planes and they fly the same.
Old 11-21-2011, 06:07 PM
shark again

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The only Uproar kit I see is a 40 size with a 48 inch span - is there a bigger one?  I don't have a kit to trace the parts from, just a built plane. 
Jim S.
Old 11-21-2011, 06:24 PM
Gray Beard

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
ORIGINAL: shark again

The only Uproar kit I see is a 40 size with a 48 inch span - is there a bigger one? I don't have a kit to trace the parts from, just a built plane.
Jim S.
There was a 60 size uproar but it is no longer cut or sold. The 40 size will fly better anyway. Ask around here in kit building. Someone will be building the Extra again any day now and may be nice enough to make you up a set of templates. Plans can be bought and you can look on towers web site to see if they have the instructions to be down loaded. When I needed templates for the CG Extra it took a while but someone drew them for me before they built the old kit. I already had the plans and printed out the instructions off of towers site. Last resort is buying the kit.
Old 11-21-2011, 06:32 PM
soarrich

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

http://www.rcuniverse.com/market/item.cfm?itemid=766938 this one's sold, but there must be more out there.
Mine must have been the 60, but I had a 90 on it and it was powered just right. The problem with the Uproar was it was a big plane, but had no room in it, putting a Something Extra like top on it would fix that. They both flew like fat winged lightly loaded Hersey bar winged planes, good if you like that, and I guess you do.
Old 11-21-2011, 10:59 PM
Gray Beard

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Without looking I think {{THINK}} I may have the plans and templates for the Roar 60 in a file on my puter?? A friend knows I'm a big fan of the Roars and he sent me the file. I like a 4 stroke .91 in most of my 60 size planes too. I have one I use the SK .91 two stroke in.

Search this Thread