Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Kadet senior kit-need wing ribs

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Kadet senior kit-need wing ribs

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2011, 07:04 PM
flyerdave
My Feedback: (212)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kadet senior kit-need wing ribs

I just bought a kadet senior kit from a guy down the road and at some point, he either sold or used the ribs out of the kit. Everything else is there, just like new.
My question is, does anyone have a set of ribs or know where I could buy a set. I know that they are probably easy to cut with a bandsaw, but I don't have one.
Thanks for the help.
Old 11-25-2011, 07:58 PM
CanDo

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Kadet senior kit-need wing ribs

Flyerdave, it's not difficult to cut your own ribs, especially for a Kadet Senior. First, trace a pattern from the plans. Using the pattern, cut a rib template out of 1/8" lite ply using a coping saw, scroll saw, or rough cut with any hand saw and sand to match. With the template and your knife, cut out all the balsa ribs (and maybe a couple extra ribs). When you finish, stack the ribs and pin them together. Sand the ribs to match, then with a fine tooth hand saw, notch them for the spars and turbulators. You're ready to build your wing.
Old 11-25-2011, 08:46 PM
noveldoc
My Feedback: (2)

Wing kits are about $39, 

http://www.gravesrc.com/SIG_BALSA_WI...sigrpbk258.htm

Tom
Old 11-25-2011, 11:03 PM
CanDo

One advantage of cutting out ribs, if you already have the balsa sheets, is you can start building your wing in a couple of hours instead of waiting for a wing kit to arrive. Plus, you can buy a couple of servos with the money you save.
Old 11-28-2011, 04:33 AM
airbusdrvr

ORIGINAL: noveldoc

Wing kits are about $39,

http://www.gravesrc.com/SIG_BALSA_WI...sigrpbk258.htm

Tom
I'd say that if Grave's has it, buy it. The wing kit would also include all the balsa spar strips, leading and trailing edge parts, ply reinforcements and sheeting. By the time you gather those items and pay for your gas, $39 is not to bad.
Old 11-28-2011, 05:34 AM
ARUP

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Take CanDo's advice on cutting your own ribs thereby saving money. Use the money saved to justify the purchase of a band saw! That's how I rationalize my expenditures in this hobby. Good luck! Please post some photos.
Old 11-28-2011, 05:56 AM
Gizmo-RCU
My Feedback: (27)

Cut your own and add leading and trailing edges with cap strips and ailerons, very easy to do and you have a nice strong more modern wing. Be sure to flatten out the wing at least some....your choice.
This is a simple mod. and really takes little more time to do and you have a much better plane for the effort.
Old 11-28-2011, 08:40 AM
SeamusG

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

These images might help. Pics were created from scanned images. Proportionally accurate - OAL&OAHare noted. The 3rd rib in the 2nd pic is from an ARF and includes mounting bayonet.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	vt56482.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	31.1 KB
ID:	1692533   Click image for larger version

Name:	up48676.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	117.2 KB
ID:	1692534