Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Balsa USA Fokker DRI 1/4 scale

Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Balsa USA Fokker DRI 1/4 scale

Old 12-11-2011, 12:21 PM
lazyace
My Feedback: (126)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Balsa USA Fokker DR1 1/4 scale

yep fly the plane
Old 12-11-2011, 01:06 PM
roncannell

Anthony, I had the same problem with inner LE Stock being to short.

The Good News is that BUSA is really nice and will ship out replacement without a hassle.

The bad news is that Busa's Wisconsin location makes shipping pretty slow.

On my second DR1 build I went through the whole kit measuring and inspecting wood and bundling groups. It took a couple hours, but in then end really decreased building time.
Old 12-11-2011, 01:19 PM
roncannell

Anthony, I would recommend ordering a second sheet of lite ply that sheets the Fuselage top. I came up short both times. Its inexpensive, but just a hassle when the project gets stalled for that stuff.
Ron
Old 12-11-2011, 01:37 PM
WacoNut

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

Thanks Ron,
I actually have some 1/64 and 1/32 ply on hand. The stuff comes in handy when it is time to add details to models.

I have the middle wing completed and rough sanded, two down one to go.

Going to grab some dinner and start the top wing. I am guessing this one will take me a few days.

I had read where someone did a structural analysis of the DR1 some years after WWI and found that the top wing of the DR1 carried more than twice the load that the other wings carried during high angle of attack maneuvers which probably accounts for some of the top wing failures of the early model DR1's. Would you guys recommend replacing the balsa top wing spars with spruce? I have the spruce on hand. I don't think there would be much of a weight penalty. Just a thought.
Later!!
Anthony

For some reason the pic post is not working right now. I will upload a couple pics shortly.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx70655.jpg
Views:	396
Size:	59.0 KB
ID:	1698623   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig11826.jpg
Views:	298
Size:	114.7 KB
ID:	1698624  
Old 12-11-2011, 01:52 PM
jeffo
My Feedback: (68)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's what I did,and I also sheer webbed it.-Jeffo
Old 12-11-2011, 02:13 PM
WacoNut

ORIGINAL: jeffo

That's what I did,and I also sheer webbed it.-Jeffo
Thanks for the info, I will go with that. I am sure the extra added strength will more than make up for the minimal weight gain.
Later!!
Anthony
Old 12-11-2011, 02:22 PM
roncannell

I made this Mod on my first DR1 but not on my second. The modification that I will make on my next DR1 if it is a busa is to reinforce the trailing edge of all 3 wings
Old 12-11-2011, 02:30 PM
Joe Westrich
My Feedback: (95)

Glad to hear that there is another local guy with a WWI plane. I am just West of you in Mason OH.

I have built one and referb a second one and they fly great. I sold mine last year when I went all 1/3 scale. It was the same color as yours. I miss it....bad decision on selling it.

It looks like you will have no prob building or flying it based on the other airplanes you own. However, if you do, let me know.

Join up with us at the Ohio Dawn Patrol in July. We have a good time.

BTW... what club do you fly at?

Old 12-11-2011, 02:32 PM
GerKonig

ORIGINAL: WacoNut

Thanks Ron,
I actually have some 1/64 and 1/32 ply on hand. The stuff comes in handy when it is time to add details to models.

I have the middle wing completed and rough sanded, two down one to go.

Going to grab some dinner and start the top wing. I am guessing this one will take me a few days.

I had read where someone did a structural analysis of the DR1 some years after WWI and found that the top wing of the DR1 carried more than twice the load that the other wings carried during high angle of attack maneuvers which probably accounts for some of the top wing failures of the early model DR1's. Would you guys recommend replacing the balsa top wing spars with spruce? I have the spruce on hand. I don't think there would be much of a weight penalty. Just a thought.
Later!!
Anthony

For some reason the pic post is not working right now. I will upload a couple pics shortly.

I had 3 friends build and fly this model successfully as is (no mod on the spar). It is not needed, but if it will make you feel safer, or happier, by all means:-)

Gerry
Old 12-11-2011, 02:38 PM
roncannell

I agree with Gerry, its not necessary, but its such an easy Modification. Having built it both ways I can say that I dont really think it added much strength.
Ron
Old 12-11-2011, 02:54 PM
Joe Westrich
My Feedback: (95)

I would do the spruce spars and sheer web. It does add strengh and the weight and cost is so minimal.

For scale flying you will never come close to overstressing the airplane, but sometimes you get carried away(at least I do). I would feel more confident during the occation dogfight with a fellow flyer or a more agressive non scale flight once in awhile.

Also, the drag on this airframe is amazing. I could fly to an altitude of about 300feet, pull it to idle and dive it straight to the ground with a pull out just before it reaches the ground. Without putting it into a slip, it would slow down fast enough for an immediate landing. Obviously not scale, but fun to do.
Old 12-11-2011, 03:02 PM
WacoNut

Joe thanks for the tips,

I fly at a Sod farm just outside of Balnchester that a buddy of mine owns. 50 scares of nothing but grass. I think there is a total of 4 trees on the whole property. It is a great place for putting the maiden flights on a plane as you can take-off and land directly into the wind no matter how it is blowing.
Anyhow I do not belong to a club(yet) been thinking about joining one. I will have to do a little checking and see where would be a good convienient site for me as well as modelers with somewhat the same interest.

As long as I do not re-kit this thing when I try and fly it I will try to attend a couple of the Dawn Patrol events next summer. Should make for a fun time.
Later!!
Anthony
Old 12-11-2011, 03:07 PM
DustBen
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I spent a good part of the day yesterday and about 3 hrs this evening working on my hobby room. It had pretty much been used for storage since spring. I found that my 8 ft building table had developed a slight sag in the middle due to all the weight left on it for months[:@]. I leveled each end of the table and layed a piece of 3/4" MDF on the table top and stretched a string from end to end. I had a 1/8" dip in the center along the front edge of the table only. I shimmed the MDF board up until it was level with the string. I have laid a piece of 1/2" drywall on top of that to build on. Lesson learned do not load your build table up with weight and leave it for months on end, bad things will happen. Your plane will only be as straight as the table you are building on. I have been building on this table for 10+ yrs and this is the 1st time it has shown anything other than flat and I always verify before starting a new build.
I have a decent table I build on.

But, I build wings on a hollow core door.
I bought a door at a home supply center (Home Depot/Menards). It was a narrow door for a closet and was less than 20 bucks.

I cut it down to 4 foot using a straightedge and skill saw.

From the end I cut off, I carefully shucked the end inner cap from the remnant, slid it into the open portion of my 4 foot segment, glued and clamped it.

At the other end, I screwed in two eyehooks.
Using a piece of rope, I hang the door in a closet and never let anything touch it so gravity wil keep it straight when I am not using it.

Old 12-11-2011, 04:21 PM
WacoNut

Thanks for the tip,
I usually build very large planes and I need a big table. my mistale for putting and leaving a heavy load on my table. I knew better.

My last 2 builds were 1/3 scale planes and this one seems very small in comparison
Anthony
Old 12-11-2011, 06:57 PM
WacoNut

Top Wing:
The wing is on the board, I have the splices completed for the sheeting/spars and L/E. I swapped out the balsa spars for spruce for the top wing. I have the main ribs dry fitted and ready to glue but I am running out of gas and I am going to call it a night. Overall it was a productive weekend of building. I think I should be able to finish the top wing in a couple of evenings this week then build the aileron's.
Later!!
Anthony
Finally the pic post is workig properly

Name:	Ay74482.jpg
Views:	290
Size:	113.9 KB
ID:	1698735   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq47648.jpg
Views:	262
Size:	62.6 KB
ID:	1698736  
Old 12-12-2011, 05:40 AM
GerKonig

ORIGINAL: roncannell

I agree with Gerry, its not necessary, but its such an easy Modification. Having built it both ways I can say that I dont really think it added much strength.
Ron

Said that, there are some changes I do to all Balsa USA kits. Adding light small gussets to some of the 1/4 square balsa sticks in the fuse. Also, based on my experience, I replace with pine the two bottom square 1/4 x 1/4 sticks that run from the fuse to the tail. This is because I store my models on racks on the walls, and i had one of those 1/4 x 1/4 bottom longerons break on me in a 1/4 scale Cub....

Again, this applies only to those that store models Like I do. The gussets, on the other hand is a must:-)

My 3 cents

Gerry
Old 12-12-2011, 08:32 AM
Tampaflyer
My Feedback: (42)

i am to the sanding stage of a flair 1/4 scale dr-1.

nice to see so many being built.... I am going to go electric though.. power 110 -160.

will be going with a non all red version as well.. leaning towards the one with the yellow tail .
Old 12-12-2011, 08:57 AM
WacoNut

Well I went to work this morning and was kind of a slow day and not much to be done on my development project so I took a half day as I have some time to burn before the end of the year. Looks like I get to work on the Fokker a bit today.

I received an e-mail from Balsa USA support and they are going to look into the issue with the stock for the L/E and the sheeting.

Off to the basement to glue my fingers together.
Anthony
Old 12-12-2011, 11:28 AM
roncannell

I like the Yellow tail versions but like Anthony, my wife wanted me to do the Red. Its funny, my wife usually could not care less but she really likes my Triplanes. The blue Solortex on the bottom is a little dark for my liking. My next one will be a bit more scale and a bit more grungy. The black and white photos of the originals give us a little clue that the paint jobs were probably pretty bad. [not good Bad, but bad,bad!]

No doubt about it, Triplanes are fun projects!

Name:	Xv63427.jpg
Views:	358
Size:	52.4 KB
ID:	1698923   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge94490.jpg
Views:	258
Size:	60.1 KB
ID:	1698926  
Attached Images    
Old 12-12-2011, 12:11 PM
WacoNut

Nice looking Tripes.
I did alot of checking on the colors for these planes and you are correct it is hard to get a definitive answer of what the exact colors were. There are alot of interesting artist interpretations and like the one I have chose to do and work from. May be wrong/may be right. I did find a picture of a piece of fabric from 425/17 in which Richtofen was shot dwon in. You will notice the color of the red gets darker as you get away from the cross. This is supposedly where the red was painted over the white field that the Iron cross was on then it was painted over with the red leaving a brighter red area. This could also just be from aging as it is 90yrs old.
Back to building!!
Anthony

Name:	Ig11729.jpg
Views:	443
Size:	28.8 KB
ID:	1698939  
Old 12-12-2011, 01:01 PM
roncannell

I should have streaked my second DR1.
When you get a chance, find some pictures of VerticalGrimace Triplane. I like the looks of his finish and the blue that he uses.
Old 12-12-2011, 01:15 PM
jeffEE
My Feedback: (5)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I know its a bit early to talk about the covering, but in one of the posts there was a suggestion of buying pinking shears. Fokker DVII, DRI, and DVIII did not use pinked tapes. Just straight strips. I do not know about other planes built by Fokker. I am enjoying your build. Thanks for sharing.
Old 12-12-2011, 01:21 PM
WacoNut

Whats going to be hard is to fully streak camo the plane then paint red over the top[&o]

I will make sure I make several test samples to try it out on before going to the plane with paint.

The Top wing is moving right along. I just glued the top L/E sheeting to the spar and will let that dry a bit then roll the sheeting down to the L/E. At this rate I will have the wings completed 1 week from receiving the kit and I will be on to the fuselage.
Later!!
Anthony
Old 12-12-2011, 01:26 PM
WacoNut

Jeff,
The tapes were straight cut on all the Fokkers. I do intent to rib stitch and tape I am just not sure what I am going to use for tapes yet. I have been using tapes from Pink-it for my recent builds and they are cut from Solartex. I may just buy a roll of natural Solartex and cut my own straight edge tapes. I am not anal enough to cut them from fabric and frey the edges and dope them down. not that much into self punishment.
Old 12-12-2011, 03:26 PM
WacoNut

Top Wing progress:
The top L/E sheeting is down and trimmed and sanded. I am getting ready to pin the wing back down and add the L/E cap. I was pleased to see the wing does not have any warps at this point. I had read where guys were having issues with the wing warping when removed from the board. So far no warps.
Here are a couple pics of the top wing.
Anthony

Name:	Vt56782.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	64.5 KB
ID:	1699028   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cx76107.jpg
Views:	361
Size:	111.1 KB
ID:	1699029  

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.