Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Balsa USA Fokker DRI 1/4 scale

Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Balsa USA Fokker DRI 1/4 scale

Old 12-04-2011, 07:50 AM
WacoNut

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts
Default Balsa USA Fokker DRI 1/4 scale

I just orderd the kit, wheels and guns.
I will be powering the Fokker with a DLE-30 which I have one new in the box ready for the build. I will be doing a few mods to the kit to help the scale appearance. I intend to build a functional tail skid and a full cockpit plus Rib Sticthing. The plane will be covered in fabric and painted to match DR1 161/17. This is one of Von Richtofen's mounts which he scored several victories. It was delivered to the front in the factory camo colors and the red colors were applied in the field. I will replicate the same finish. I wanted a camo finsihed plane and my wife wanted a red plane so this is a good compromise.

I do intend to install a smoke pump as well. Now off to the shop to get it ready for the build. I hope the kit arrives by next weekend and the build will begin. I am atatching a drawing that shows the color scheme I will be replicating.
Later!!
Anthony
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf99033.jpg
Views:	1121
Size:	28.4 KB
ID:	1695053  
Old 12-04-2011, 08:12 AM
noveldoc
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Balsa USA Fokker DR1 1/4 scale

Going to be a great looking plane.  Will it be a total booger to fly?  I understand the full size was not the best for stability.

Tom
Old 12-04-2011, 08:33 AM
WacoNut

From everything I have read they fly very well. Landings and take-off are a different story. They like going straight into the wind and will weathervane into the wind all the time. I fly at a sod farm and I can take-off and land into the no matter which way it is blowing.
I really like the fact I will be able to leave it assemled for storage and transporting. Even at 1/4 scale it is not that big of a plane. I have a 6x12 trailer for transporting my planes.
If you haven't seen the movie Red Baron it is a must see for any WWI aviation enthusiast. It rekendled my interest in the DR1. My 1st intentions were to build the GTM 1/4 DR1. This kit currently is not available as Glenn is doing a total redesign of the kit and it will not be available until next year. If this works out well I will build the GTM version next winter for a full blown scale build.
Later!!
Anthony
Old 12-04-2011, 12:44 PM
acerc

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Anthony,
There's a couple of those at my field. They fly great. But as stated are wind directional at take-off and landing. I will be watching your build.
ENJOY!
Old 12-04-2011, 04:27 PM
SunDevilPilot

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm subscribing to this one! I kave been kicking around the idea of a Balsa USA WWI plane, not sure which one, through out most of my latest build.

SunDevilPilot
Old 12-04-2011, 04:35 PM
WacoNut

Yeah I have been eyeing them as well.
I let my wife pick it out, she told me I want you to build a Fokker Should be a fun build!!
Anthony
Old 12-04-2011, 05:01 PM
noveldoc
My Feedback: (2)

Then you get to say, "Look at that little Fokker go."

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Tom
Old 12-04-2011, 05:15 PM
WacoNut

The things we have to do to keep the little ladies happy
Old 12-05-2011, 10:49 AM
flygilmore

I built one of these and modeled it after mount 403/17 a few years ago. One of my fav. planes of all time. I did extensive mods (still a couple more to do) with GTM accessories and am glad I did. I would recomend a bungeed landing gear system as it will GREATLY smooth out landings and you will def. need the good oak wing/tail skids from GTM! This plane lands the most scale of any I have ever seen and when the tail drops mine does the most beautiful and graceful ground loop to the right everytime!!!! Lots of fun-make sure you know your rudder like the back of your hand!
Old 12-05-2011, 02:19 PM
WacoNut

Great news,
I just received an e-mail from Balsa USA and my order has shipped. I am guessing I will have it Wed. or Thursday. The build will begin as soon as the kit arrives. No sooner no later

flygilmore,
Thanks for the advice. I do plan on adding a oak tail skid. I don't think I am going to go for the bungee on the main gear. I will look at it once I start the build. As long as the mod isn't too intensive I may try to add the suspension.
I have been involved with some very intense builds over the last few years and I want a more relaxing build so I don't want to complicate it up too much if you know what I mean. I will most likely build my own cockpit as the GTM cockpit kit is a bit pricey to put into a semi-scale plane. I will save that for the GTM build down the road.
Later!!
Anthony
Old 12-05-2011, 03:49 PM
Muskoka dad
My Feedback: (5)

HEY WACONUT LIKE THE COLOR, AS SOON AS I FINISH MY SOPWITH THE DR1 WAS GOING TO BE MY NEXT BUILD. BUT I TOLD SANTA I WANTED A D7. MAYBE I CAN CHANGE MY LIST
I WILL BE WATCHING VERY CLOSE AS THE DR IS SUCH A COOL PLANE.
GOOD LUCK WITH THE BUILD.

EWAN
Old 12-05-2011, 05:47 PM
WacoNut

Thanks Ewan,
If you can get it swapped we can build along together.

I spent a good part of the day yesterday and about 3 hrs this evening working on my hobby room. It had pretty much been used for storage since spring. I found that my 8 ft building table had developed a slight sag in the middle due to all the weight left on it for months[:@]. I leveled each end of the table and layed a piece of 3/4" MDF on the table top and stretched a string from end to end. I had a 1/8" dip in the center along the front edge of the table only. I shimmed the MDF board up until it was level with the string. I have laid a piece of 1/2" drywall on top of that to build on. Lesson learned do not load your build table up with weight and leave it for months on end, bad things will happen. Your plane will only be as straight as the table you are building on. I have been building on this table for 10+ yrs and this is the 1st time it has shown anything other than flat and I always verify before starting a new build.

I should have the room ready when the kit arrives.
Later!!
Anthony
Old 12-05-2011, 06:06 PM
WacoNut

WOW,
I just checked the tracking on my purchase and UPS says they will be delivering it tomorrow. Not bad order on Sunday and receive on Tuesday.
Later!!
Anthony
Old 12-06-2011, 02:14 AM
bps
My Feedback: (3)

I enjoyed my Dr1 build. Looking forward to reading about yours and virtual building along with your project! I now have a Nieuport 17 in the works and in typical BUSA style it is a very nice kit. I have a local flying friend that flys a scratch built 37% Dr1.

JEB
Old 12-06-2011, 02:29 AM
WacoNut

Thanks JEB,
To all you DR1 Builders out there don't hesitate to throw up a red flag if you see I should be changing something. I do also plan on adding and ajustable stab, I want to be able to ajust the incidence as needed to minimize the down trim these are notorious for to maintain level flight.
I just checked the UPS tracking and they pushed it out until Wed. wich is still pretty good. I need the time to get my room in order anyhow.
Later!!
Anthony
Old 12-06-2011, 12:36 PM
KitBuilder

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There's another BUSA 1/4 DR build going on now in this same category which I'm sure you know already. Folks have said there were some issues with horiz stab incidence and some have made it removeable/adjustable until they get it dialed in as best they can make it permanent.
Mike
Old 12-06-2011, 03:00 PM
jeffo
My Feedback: (68)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A guy at our club put 2 degrees neg. in top wing,it flies beautiful.I'm building a BUSA DR1,I'm going to set it up just like his.-Jeffo
P.S.-I've been debating how to set the top wing,I figure this is a good place to start.
Old 12-06-2011, 04:31 PM
WacoNut

Mike,
Thanks for the tip. I am aware of the other thread and I read the whole thing. There does not seem to be much participation in that thread lately and it can get a little overwhelming trying to figure out where one build begins and another ends so I decided to start a new thread. I posed a question in that thread and never received a response so that tells me they have moved on.

Jeffo,
I will wait and see what the instructions say for the incidence. The only issue I have heard is the amount of down trim required for level flight. Most guys are solving the issue with the adjustable stab. My intentions are to build the stab adjustable and start with approx 4deg of incidence in the stab.

My hobby room is now ready for action. My build table is leveled out and ready. I have my drill press, band saw and disc sander on a table across from my build table. I can be at the build table and turn around and take 2 steps and work on one of the power tools. Close enough for convience but keeps the majority of the mess away from the build. Did an inventory of glues and other necessities and I need to pick up a new bottle of Elmers wood glue or Tite-Bond.
Here are a couple pics of my tables, this is about as clean as it will be for a while I will unpack the kit tomorrow when it arrives and post a few pics.
Later!!
Anthony
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca80315.jpg
Views:	460
Size:	44.8 KB
ID:	1696314   Click image for larger version

Name:	Je98898.jpg
Views:	489
Size:	65.6 KB
ID:	1696315  
Old 12-06-2011, 06:13 PM
acerc

Hey Waconut. A small vac with a dust bag really help's. And by the look's of your benchtop tool's you already have a exhaust port to hook up to.
Yes?
Old 12-07-2011, 02:27 AM
WacoNut

Hi Robert,
I have a small Vac as well as a large shop vac. I hope to keep my shop a bit cleaner during this build than I was able to do with the 1/3 scale builds. The 1/3 planes take up so much room while building it is hard to keep cleaned up around them.
Today is Christmas at my house, the kit will be here when I get home.
Anthony
Old 12-07-2011, 08:01 AM
VincentJ

Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

Anthony ,Can't use the glass on your build table anymore? Just curious...
Old 12-07-2011, 08:09 AM
flygilmore

I put 5* inc. on my stab and it is perfect-I bolted it on with 4-40 bolts so that I could adjust as needed. Anxious to see your progress! I would like to build another BUSA kit or two and I love the Solartex just not the price!!
Old 12-07-2011, 12:42 PM
Cub Flyer Fresno

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: flygilmore

I put 5* inc. on my stab and it is perfect-I bolted it on with 4-40 bolts so that I could adjust as needed. Anxious to see your progress! I would like to build another BUSA kit or two and I love the Solartex just not the price!!

Speaking of price of the Solartex, did you figure in the cost of everything else required for other coverings? I haven't used Solartex yet but from what I understand all you have to do is paint it, no sealing, no sanding, is that correct? I'd like to know all the details since I've decided (after waffling a LOT!) to go with Solartex.

Take care,
David
Old 12-07-2011, 01:14 PM
vertical grimmace
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Aircraft Spruce has a great lightweight fabric that is way cheap. I will post a link when i get a chance. Like $3 a yard by 5'. Great stuff.
Old 12-07-2011, 01:28 PM
acerc

David, if your going to do stitching and pinking you will need a pair of pinking shears to cut that solartex into strips.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.