Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Soldering

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Soldering

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2003, 07:25 PM
BearcatPilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Soldering

I have a Sig 1/6th scale Piper Cub and have come to the part in building where I must solder the landing gear wires together. Unfortuantely, I am having no luck whatsoever with it. I am tightly wrapping the joints with thin copper wire, using a propane torch to heat the joint, and then using a rosin-core solder, but when I try to apply the solder, it just beads up and runs off the joint. What should I do to make this job easier? I have some flux for soldering but it is acid flux, will this make a difference?
Old 08-24-2003, 07:37 PM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Soldering

You must have the wire very clean. Use emery cloth and rough it up until it is bright and shiny, wipe with acetone or alcohol and DO NOT TOUCH WITH HAND as the oil in you skin may cause problems. Coat the area to be soldered with a good flux (not an acid flux) and heat the area to be soldered just hot enough to melt the solder when it touches the area--do not melt the solder with your iron or torch. You should see the solder suddenly wick over the area. Have the unit jigged up so it can not move while the soldering is being done and leave it jigged until cool. You can over heat a joint as well as not heat it enough, takes a little practice.
Old 08-24-2003, 10:19 PM
2 Piece
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Soldering

Why can't you use an acid flux on landing gear? Just make sure you wash it off real good after wards.
2 Piece
Old 08-25-2003, 01:08 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Soldering

You can, it's just not advisable (or necessary if the metal has been cleaned with sandpaper).

Just follow Rodney's instructions and it should work fine.

Also like Rodney said, too much heat can ruin the spring properties of the metal, so don't get it RED hot. Just apply heat, remove the heat, and touch the solder to the joint. If it doesn't melt, apply more heat, and repeat.
Old 08-25-2003, 02:32 PM
xtech

Default 90 watt gun

I have had similar probs soldering push rods, etc. I thought the 30watt iron not enough. So I got a 90 watt gun. same probs. Do I need a propane torch? I have been using rosin core solder. Not sanding or preping area.
Thanks
Old 08-25-2003, 03:14 PM
MinnFlyer

Default Soldering

I am presently working on a "How to Solder" article. I wish it were finished, it would save me a lot of time! LOL

For small wires and circuit boards, an iron is the tool of choice. Once you get into doing pushrods, a gun is preferable (soldering gun that is. I know some of you would rather shoot yourselves than have to make a push rod, but that's another thread) and for big jobs like landing gear, you really need a torch.

In any case, for soldering a clevis onto a rod the basics are the same...

Clean with sandpaper. You MUST expose some nice shiney metal!

Apply flux (Soldering paste)

Heat the METAL until the METAL melts the solder. The solder will wick its way into the joint.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	104506_7722.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	18.6 KB
ID:	58639  
Old 08-25-2003, 07:19 PM
JWN
Community Moderators
My Feedback: (42)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: 90 watt gun

Originally posted by xtech
I have had similar probs soldering push rods, etc. I thought the 30watt iron not enough. So I got a 90 watt gun. same probs. Do I need a propane torch? I have been using rosin core solder. Not sanding or preping area.
Thanks
You must prep the pieces you are trying to solder. It doesn't matter how much heat you use, to a point. If the surface isn't clean, the solder will not flow.

John
Old 08-25-2003, 10:09 PM
BearcatPilot

Default Soldering

Is flux absolutely necessary, as long as you keep the surfaces clean? If it is necessary, and all I have is acid flux, can I just neutralize it by rubbing some baking soda into it?
Old 08-25-2003, 11:02 PM
MinnFlyer

Default Soldering

You'd be better off using the acid flux than no flux, but, what the heck... take a ride to radio shack and pick up a small can of flux.
Old 08-26-2003, 01:52 AM
bullet65

Default Soldering

or go to hardware store in plumbing for flux.you must have flux it is what pulls the solder into the joint.if it is not heated enough the solder will just break and it will not flow.and i use map gas instead of propane gas since it is hotter.good luck.
Old 08-26-2003, 06:05 AM
MAJSteve
My Feedback: (-1)

Default Soldering

For doing landing gear I sand the metal, put a coat of resin flux from a can of paste flux, heat the wire till it melts the flux. The big thing I do different is that I use an acid brush to move the molten solder around to tin the wire, then I wrap it with copper and melt the solder into the copper coils till it runs out. Again I hit it with the brush and make sure that the molten solder is nice and even over the whole wrap.

Let it cool, wash it off and its done.
Old 08-26-2003, 12:01 PM
Flypaper 2

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Soldering

Get the Staybrite silver solder kit from Home Depot. It will do the job for you.
Old 08-26-2003, 02:21 PM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Soldering

Be careful if using a torch, you get it to hot and you might as well use coat hanger wire, it will be that weak.