Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Painting Monocote covering

Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Painting Monocote covering

Old 12-11-2011, 08:43 AM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts
Default Painting Monocote covering

Can it be painted? Iam putting together a Guillows B17 and have aluminum monocote(Might be Ultracote, its several years old, no labels). Iam replicating the XC108a which is olive drab with grey belly. Ihaven't found a covering that is even close to the actual color of the plane, which I have samples of the real colors.
Old 12-11-2011, 09:13 AM
noveldoc
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Painting Monocote covering

I have manged it some but you have to lightly sand the Mono until it gets just a dull sheen and use a good primer.

Tom
Old 12-11-2011, 10:00 AM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

ORIGINAL: noveldoc

I have manged it some but you have to lightly sand the Mono until it gets just a dull sheen and use a good primer.

Tom
And also make sure it is shrunk as good as it will get. If the covering sags and you tighten it back up the paint will often crack and chip off. I have painted it [Ultra] a couple times but always during the summer. I take my covered planes and set them out in the sun and then reshrink the covering, I do this several times until the covering will no longer sag, I call it curing. I do this beforre I att any trim or paint. Winter time??
Old 12-11-2011, 06:19 PM
acdii

I highly doubt this plane will fly. its a static model.  That is it is a Guillows, so if I shrink it too much it may crack.
Old 12-11-2011, 06:34 PM
crash bandicoute

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if it's going to be static, i wouldn't worry about it too much. i just scuff it nice with 000 steel wool, clean it with windex good to get the fibers off, re-shrink if needed and then shoot the paint. i would think that some kind of latex or acryllic paint would be a little more flexible if desired to paint something you were going to fly. but a static display? kind of like building a model. monokote paints fine though.
Old 12-12-2011, 04:57 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

As long as it's not in front of a window no problems then. Several of the guys I know have been using electric motors in the Guillows kits. One fellow over on the wattsflyer web site specializes in them and will fly them as a three ch. I found them hard to fly as RB power.
Old 12-12-2011, 08:16 PM
acdii

If I could figure out the ESC I might be able to put 4 motors on this, the nacelles are about the same size as the T-28 cowling, so the motor and gear box would fit and the 3 blade prop looks about the right size too.

The question then becomes how much battery can it take to fly long enough to enjoy but not be so heavy to be difficult to control.  there is plenty of room to put the tiny servo motors and CF links to the tail and ailerons.  The bomb bay is large enough to accommodate a decent sized lipo.

It would have to be hand launched and landings would be scary.

It is doable, but is it worth the cost to put the radio and other stuff in it, probably not.   However maybe to put the motors and gearbox in the cowlings and hook them up so they turn would make a good working static display.