Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

First Build - CG Super Chipmunk 60

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

First Build - CG Super Chipmunk 60

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2011, 04:01 PM
nefariousrc
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First Build - CG Super Chipmunk 60

I just found out that my lovely wife bought me a Super Chipmunk kit for Christmas. This is my first kit build and I'm really excited to give it a try.
So far my plans are to power it with a DLE20 with a custom wrap around pitts. Was originally looking at the Aerovate 15cc but it weighs the same as the DLE. My only concern is prop clearance as the DLE likes to swing a 16"-17" prop. I also plan on attempting my first smoke system.

I do have a couple questions though:
1. What are the torquerequirementsfor servos in this plane?
2. I'd like to do a pull pull setup on the rudder using a torque rod to keep the linkage in the fuselage. I'd also like to do a torque rod on the elevators and hide that linkage in the fuselage as well.Is there a good resource I could read up on exactly how to do this?
3. Is it better to put the smoke tank on CG or the fuel tank?

Old 12-17-2011, 04:45 PM
vpresley
My Feedback: (162)

Default RE: First Build - CG Super Chipmunk 60

Hi

Check the RCU build threads for this kit. A gasser will be to big for this kit. Small firewall. A 91 for stroke is almost to big. My friend has one with a OS 61 FX, flys it well.

Vince
Old 12-17-2011, 05:45 PM
nefariousrc

I've been reading the build threads on this kit for a couple months.  A DLE20 has already been put on this airframe and does fine. (as seen here). On my Pulse 125 that has a DLE20 I have a 12oz tank and can easily get 40min of flight time with plenty of gas in reserve so i figure on this plane I'll go with a 6-8oz tank which is 1/2 the size the a 61 size glow would need.  Yes, the firewall will need to be reinforced but that's easy enough to do during the build. 

Ambitious for a first build... Yes but with all the knowledge & experience available via the web and my local club it's doable for a first build.
Old 12-18-2011, 09:43 AM
DavidAgar
My Feedback: (108)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Ground clearence will be an issue with that big a prop. Mine has an OS 61 on it with an 11 inch prop and I am not sure that a 16 or 17 inch prop will have enough clearence. s for a smoke pump, I am not sure what system you are looking at. The nose is fairly stuffed with the main fuel tank and battery. The pump and tank will need to be on the CG somewhere, but it will take alot of re arrainging to make it happen. As for the elevator pushrods, that may be possible but the tail wheel does run through the fusealage into the rudder. Once again, might take some planning. The Chipmunk is one sweet flying plane and it is in the top 3 on my RC list. I have always built my as per plans and have never looked back. Good Luck, Dave
Old 12-18-2011, 03:23 PM
nefariousrc

ORIGINAL: DavidAgar

Ground clearence will be an issue with that big a prop. Mine has an OS 61 on it with an 11 inch prop and I am not sure that a 16 or 17 inch prop will have enough clearence.
Agreed. I too am worried about ground clearance which is why I'm still on the fence on the 15cc Aerovate or the DLE20. They both weight the same I'm just worried that the 15cc with a 14" or 15" prop won't leave enough in reserve to get me out of sticky situations.

Old 12-21-2011, 09:48 AM
nefariousrc

So the kit has been delivered and I'm now in the process of setting up a suitable work area as a true & level work surface wasn't critical to assembling ARF's.  I have an old Ikea desk that has adjustable legs that I plan to use for the base on which I will put a hollow cored door on.
Old 12-21-2011, 10:32 AM
TonyBuilder
My Feedback: (11)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: vpresley

Hi

Check the RCU build threads for this kit. A gasser will be to big for this kit. Small firewall. A 91 for stroke is almost to big. My friend has one with a OS 61 FX, flys it well.

Vince
I have flown two CG chippys with the DLE20 and it takes it very well, ground clearance is not a problem, I am using a 16x8 Xoar and have never hit the prop, performance is great and she floats in without flaps just fine. My finished weight is 10.5lb, I also have retracts in mine. So I would say if you want a DLE20 for your kit, go for it. The firewall is fine, build it strong and you will be ok. You will love this plane with this engine combo.

Here is a link to my build if you would like to see what I did.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_10665968/tm.htm

TB
Old 12-21-2011, 11:13 AM
vpresley
My Feedback: (162)

OK you can use a gasser, just seems like you cut away 1/3 or more of the cowl to put the gasser in there, and it ruins the looks of the plane overall. Yes it will work, but the looks suffer. But thats just me.

Vince
Old 12-21-2011, 11:59 AM
nefariousrc

OK you can use a gasser, just seems like you cut away 1/3 or more of the cowl to put the gasser in there, and it ruins the looks of the plane overall. Yes it will work, but the looks suffer. But thats just me.

Vince
I will be using a wrap-around pitts so I don't have to hack the cowl to much. I will also be stuffing the carb in the firewall so I don't have to move the cowl out so far.

Here's a pic of my Pulse with the DLE20 & pitts. Notice how very little of the cowl needed to be cut. Yes, it's more cutting than a glow would require but it's a small price to pay to be able to fly for $0.10 a flight.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj21663.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	100.8 KB
ID:	1703168  
Old 12-21-2011, 12:01 PM
nefariousrc

ORIGINAL: TonyBuilder

Hi

Vince
I have flown two CG chippys with the DLE20 and it takes it very well, ground clearance is not a problem, I am using a 16x8 Xoar and have never hit the prop, performance is great and she floats in without flaps just fine. My finished weight is 10.5lb, I also have retracts in mine. So I would say if you want a DLE20 for your kit, go for it. The firewall is fine, build it strong and you will be ok. You will love this plane with this engine combo.

Here is a link to my build if you would like to see what I did.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_10665968/tm.htm

TB
Your thread is what helped me finally decide to go for it. And I actually linked your thread up in post #3. I have a spare 16x8 zoar that i will use so thanks for the info.

Old 12-21-2011, 01:34 PM
Tarasdad

If it were me I'd recut the firewall out of 1/4" birch ply rather than use the kit's laminated lite ply pieces. I'm considering doing exactly that for my Super Chipmunk. I want a solid, strong attachment point for my Saito .80!
Old 12-21-2011, 03:16 PM
nefariousrc

ORIGINAL: Tarasdad

If it were me I'd recut the firewall out of 1/4" birch ply rather than use the kit's laminated lite ply pieces. I'm considering doing exactly that for my Super Chipmunk. I want a solid, strong attachment point for my Saito .80!
I was planning on cutting a 3rd firewall piece to add strength. Do you think a single piece of 1/4" birch ply would be stronger?

Old 12-21-2011, 04:31 PM
TonyBuilder

ORIGINAL: nefariousrc

ORIGINAL: Tarasdad

If it were me I'd recut the firewall out of 1/4'' birch ply rather than use the kit's laminated lite ply pieces. I'm considering doing exactly that for my Super Chipmunk. I want a solid, strong attachment point for my Saito .80!
I was planning on cutting a 3rd firewall piece to add strength. Do you think a single piece of 1/4'' birch ply would be stronger?

I made a new one out of 3/8 burch play (I had some laying around) and you only have to push the cowl 1" further out then the standard location. If you use a fiberglass cowl you will be good.

TB
Old 12-21-2011, 04:39 PM
TonyBuilder

I just found out that my lovely wife bought me a Super Chipmunk kit for Christmas. This is my first kit build and I'm really excited to give it a try.
So far my plans are to power it with a DLE20 with a custom wrap around pitts. Was originally looking at the Aerovate 15cc but it weighs the same as the DLE. My only concern is prop clearance as the DLE likes to swing a 16''-17'' prop. I also plan on attempting my first smoke system.

1. What are the torque requirements for servos in this plane?
2. I'd like to do a pull pull setup on the rudder using a torque rod to keep the linkage in the fuselage. I'd also like to do a torque rod on the elevators and hide that linkage in the fuselage as well. Is there a good resource I could read up on exactly how to do this?

Doing a pull pull works great on this plane, look at the way I did mine. Just solder the arm on and your good. Also doing the elevator torque rod in the fuselage is easy, again just solder the arm on the torque rod. There is not much room in this little planes belly so doing a smoke system will be space challenged. Good luck with your build.

TB
Old 12-21-2011, 07:50 PM
nefariousrc

ORIGINAL: TonyBuilder

So far my plans are to power it with a DLE20 with a custom wrap around pitts. Was originally looking at the Aerovate 15cc but it weighs the same as the DLE. My only concern is prop clearance as the DLE likes to swing a 16''-17'' prop. I also plan on attempting my first smoke system.

1. What are the torquerequirementsfor servos in this plane?
2. I'd like to do a pull pull setup on the rudder using a torque rod to keep the linkage in the fuselage. I'd also like to do a torque rod on the elevators and hide that linkage in the fuselage as well.Is there a good resource I could read up on exactly how to do this?

Doing a pull pull works great on this plane, look at the way I did mine. Just solder the arm on and your good. Also doing the elevator torque rod in the fuselage is easy, again just solder the arm on the torque rod. There is not much room in this little planes belly so doing a smoke system will be space challenged. Good luck with your build.

TB
Yeah, I've been looking at the plans trying to figure out where to stuff everything. Where did you end up putting the gas tank? What size did you use? I've been thinking 8oz max and leaning more towards 6oz. On my other DLE20 powered plane I've flown 30 minutes and still had 1/4 tank left on a 12oz tank. So I figure with a 6oz tank on a lighter airframe I should be able to get 10-12 minutes and still have a little in reserve incase I need to go back around.

Old 12-22-2011, 04:54 AM
TonyBuilder

I would go with the 8oz tank, I placed my tank over the CG up in the compartment right before the cockpit. And I placed the batteries and ignition on top of the tank right at the LE of the wing. After all the stuff, servos, wires, houses and receiver it was packed like a sardine can, there was some space insid right up agents the fierwall where you would normally put the gas tank, you might be able to play around and see wher you can fit the smok system, have fun!

TB
Old 12-26-2011, 06:24 PM
nefariousrc

Well, let the fun begin. Build table is all setup. Can't believe that this box of sticks will one day fly (hopefully).

Name:	Rp43347.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	75.6 KB
ID:	1705290   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qm36068.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	84.2 KB
ID:	1705291  
Old 12-30-2011, 04:42 PM
TonyBuilder

I'm always amazed when it shoots up into the sky. I am getting more confidant with each maiden, hope the thrill never wears off. I flew my chippy all day today in 5-10 north and cross wind. Flew great with the DLE20, perfect engine for this airframe, retracts are working flawless. Lands very easy with three point landing (no flaps). The right thrust really helps this plane fly strait on take offs and in long steep vertical climbs. Having a lot of fun flying this baby, and most are warming up to my pilot

I would love to build a TF P51 with the DLE20!!!!!!!!!!

Good luck on your build.

TB
Old 01-08-2012, 01:35 PM
nefariousrc

Made some progress. Got the tail feathers done as well as one of the wings. I also picked up the electronics yesterday as well as received the motor.
Went with HS645MG for the tail, HS485HB for the ail & flaps and DS821 for the throttle. The DS821 I had left over from another build.

Name:	Jh17294.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	71.6 KB
ID:	1711557   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ql32713.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	71.7 KB
ID:	1711558   Click image for larger version

Name:	Va72626.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	76.9 KB
ID:	1711559   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fz72963.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	83.8 KB
ID:	1711560  
Old 01-09-2012, 10:51 AM
TonyBuilder

Looking good, a fun build she is.

TB
Old 01-16-2012, 11:03 AM
rv9-a

I just finished an electric powered Goldberg Chipmunk, you will find it is a very good kit. If I were to build another and wanted to use a DLE 20, or any of the small gassers I would shorten the fuse sides enough to have the drive flange of your engine in the same location as on the plans (moving the firewall aft). You will also want to allow enough space to have good airflow to the carb.
The laminated ply firewall is plenty strong, I have had up to .91 four strokes on this plane and have had no problems. If you are looking for a weak spot in the plane it is in the main gear, the short torque arm can easily pull loose on a not too hard landing. This area can be easily beefed up.

good luck

rv9-a