Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

SIG Hog Bipe Tips??

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

SIG Hog Bipe Tips??

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2011, 07:22 PM
SIG MASTER
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SIG Hog Bipe Tips??

Does anyone have a list of things to watch for or modify when building a SIG Hog Bipe? I just finished a Four Star 120. It was my first build. The Hog Bipe will be my second build. Thanks in advance.
Old 12-20-2011, 07:25 PM
foodstick

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Default RE: SIG Hog Bipe Tips??

I haven't built one.. but I did stumble onto a site with a lot of nice ones that are built.. You might find something you like here.

http://www.fubarhill.com/sighog.html
Old 12-20-2011, 09:04 PM
SIG MASTER
My Feedback: (3)

I have been doing some research on this plane and just wondering some things to look out for. Things that might get messed up if you're not looking for them.
Old 12-21-2011, 02:29 AM
raydar

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Was flying mine yesterday, plenty power with a 91 fs, highly recommend this set up.

Built mine stock, but with the two aileron servo modificaion that should comewith a new kit.Instructions where spot on with no hidden issues that I can think of except that if you are going with the two aileron servo mod it would be a good idea to read the extra page of instruction supplied and mark the point of deviationin the original build manual.

The fuel tank is built into the fuse and is inexcessable, some make a tank hatch for future plumbing repairs also I have heard it is good to have the landing gear a half inch forward to stop nose overs on the ground, although a bit squirly on take off I have not had any issues with nose overs with the landing gear at the factory position.

Fun plane and has a nice presence in the air, enjoy
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ur52324.jpg
Views:	689
Size:	163.7 KB
ID:	1702998  
Old 12-21-2011, 02:46 PM
shepard62
My Feedback: (10)

Thanks Raydar, I just ordered my Hog yesterday and wil use your tips during the build. I am glad to see Sig going strong, the woman said she had 43 hogs (bipe) ready to ship.
Old 12-21-2011, 03:53 PM
cubfloater
My Feedback: (5)

Look up the build thread by hookedonrc sp? and read through as much as you can stand as he and others contributed on all the changes and tips and I did and built a beautifully performing 7 pounder with a Saito 72. Flew great. Have another kit on the shelf I want to build another and just havent' gotten to it. It's in kit building by the way. Good luck, it's a great plane. After mine crashed and right away built an Astro Hog and it currently goes to the field with me almost every time. Also with a 72 Saito on it. Hoping to add floats to it soon and try if off the water.

Jim
Old 12-21-2011, 04:38 PM
Augie11

ORIGINAL: raydar

Was flying mine yesterday, plenty power with a 91 fs, highly recommend this set up.

Built mine stock, but with the two aileron servo modificaion that should come with a new kit. Instructions where spot on with no hidden issues that I can think of except that if you are going with the two aileron servo mod it would be a good idea to read the extra page of instruction supplied and mark the point of deviation in the original build manual.

The fuel tank is built into the fuse and is inexcessable, some make a tank hatch for future plumbing repairs also I have heard it is good to have the landing gear a half inch forward to stop nose overs on the ground, although a bit squirly on take off I have not had any issues with nose overs with the landing gear at the factory position.

Fun plane and has a nice presence in the air, enjoy
They are great flying planes. Had one years back and just built another 2 years ago. Although I was satisfied with the original using an OS .91 FS I put a Saito 1.00 in the new one and it's a perfect combo (up here at 5400' elevation). Checked my notes on both builds and didn't see much as far as problems or signigicant mods. But like any bipe, pay close attention to alignment and incidences. Flying off paved runways I've never had a problem with noseovers.
Old 12-22-2011, 11:38 AM
tacx
My Feedback: (1)

Raydar,
Nice color scheme. Is that a paint job or covering. If it's covering what kind and color is it??
Old 12-22-2011, 12:14 PM
Platinum

Great construction in this thread:http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_84..._1/key_/tm.htm
Old 12-22-2011, 03:48 PM
Thatsakitbuilt

I'm with raydar, I too built the kit as stock. I did use the DuBro landing gear, and mounted it in the stock location. Had a few noseovers when I first flew it, but a little tickling of the elevator when landing solved it. Take offs on mine are a little tricky also. But from what all I've read from other posters, most of them seemed to have the same issue. You will get a lot of attention at the field, since it seems not many folks assemble or build them. Just read and re-read the manual and you will have no problems,.

Cal
Old 12-23-2011, 08:16 PM
*JCB*
My Feedback: (9)

The only things I did extra were to make the fuel tank removable and using 4-40 pushrods instead of the nylon rods. If I recall correctly, I widened the hole in the bulkhead to be able to pull the fuel tank thru with the strapping tape I secured on to it. Mine came out heavy, but flies like a dream with the Saito 100. The stock landing gear is a little soft, but looks good all polished up. Taking off is easy, as long as you use the rudder and roll into the power smoothly and gently. If you hammer the power, you will have problems every time.

Name:	Rp44301.jpg
Views:	571
Size:	85.0 KB
ID:	1704327   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ok28742.jpg
Views:	327
Size:	85.9 KB
ID:	1704328  
Old 12-25-2011, 05:23 AM
cherry629
My Feedback: (29)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Built mine a few years ago,It was my second build also LOL,Go with the duel ailiron servos I did'nt n wish I did,Tank mod would b good also,flu great 1 click here n there n it flew great on maiden,I got a Thunder Tiger 61 on the nose!!!

Name:	Li20964.jpg
Views:	264
Size:	123.9 KB
ID:	1704800   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zv67135.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	73.4 KB
ID:	1704801   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bg94177.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	52.9 KB
ID:	1704802   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jc85934.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	27.3 KB
ID:	1704803  
Old 12-25-2011, 09:03 AM
Chad Veich
My Feedback: (60)

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

I too will throw in a recommendation for the dual aileron servo mod. My brother and his brother-in-law each have a Hog Bipe, my brother's with a single servo and the other with dual. They both fly great but the dual servos provide for much better aileron response and precision.

Old 12-25-2011, 01:30 PM
SeamusG

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Take your time with the wing incidence. The aluminum cabane struts (fuse to top wing support and alignment) and the interplane struts (wing to wing) are critical to the incidence. The cabane struts are very flexible. Take your time getting it right. Think that I spent literally hours making small adjustments, trial fit, test, adjust, fit test ....

Make duplicates of the interplane struts now. Don't rely on hobby shop 1/8" lite ply as it is wayyyyy too twisty. 3-ply plywood makes sense.

Once you get the cabane strut angles right figure out how to copy the "bends" just in case they get tweaked either in the hanger or at the field.

I'm with Augie - Saito 100 is really sweet. I'm at 5900 feet.

I also added a Fiberglass Specialties cowl - boring shape but nice finishing touch beyond the basic cowl cheeks.

Take your time and have fun with it ...