Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Carl Goldberg cub covering help

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Carl Goldberg cub covering help

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2011, 12:26 PM
flyinglogan14

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Carl Goldberg cub covering help

Ok so this winter i built a Carl Goldberg Aniversary piper cub and i am ready to cover it. I want it to be as close to a real one that i can get. Should i cover it in fabric if so what brand and let me know weather it is easy to apply or pain to apply let me know what you would or did do ?
Old 12-21-2011, 12:30 PM
flyinglogan14

Default RE: Carl Goldberg cub covering help

Also for the plastic cowl what paint to use and how to match it to the covering
Old 12-21-2011, 12:34 PM
flyinglogan14

i am also looking for wing struts or whatever they are called that look like the real cubs. the ones for the kit are just long balsa and the dont really look and are not as complicated as the real ones. Wondering if there are some out there?
Old 12-21-2011, 01:05 PM
acerc

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, first thing being a newbie. You gotta visit cubman's website. Here's a link http://thecubden.org/cubmenu/cubmain.html. As for covering and paint, a company called stits makes the fabric and paint for full scale and model's. The model's version is full scale formated for model's. Here's a link http://www.stits.com/. Good luck in your endeavor's. Should you need help or have question's visit some of the existing cub thread's.
Old 12-21-2011, 05:18 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Solartex covering. Cub Yellow. The Tex covering is so easy it almost covers itself. The ctruts that came in the last kit I built are tapered hard wood so they are shaped correctly. If you want it scale then make them to scale. It's all part of kit building. One of the CG Cubs I built last year for my friend here. He is happy with it. I can tell by his grin. The plane gets changed over from floats to gear. Looks better on floats
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ot47226.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	131.6 KB
ID:	1703348  
Old 12-22-2011, 04:03 AM
TomCrump

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I agree with Grey Beard. I suggest Solartex, or maybe 21st Century Fabric. Both are easy to apply, and much easier than Stits.
Old 12-22-2011, 02:22 PM
crash bandicoute

i tried posting last night, but my work computer doesn't 'work' so good. here are a couple links i'm writing right now over my fabric jazz with my GP .40 size cub. i'm using koverall and sig stix-it. awesome stuff. it's so easy.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_10771252/tm.htm

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_10857617/tm.htm

the second is more of a how-to and what-did-you-do for painting with an HVLP gun and latex paint. i haven't been back to the planefor a while cuz i'm also trying to get a plane ready for the coming snow, (fingers crossed) and scratch building some skis. i want some i can leave on the plane and the wheels are still exposed for asphalt, but nobody makes a set.

believe the hype. fabric is great.
Old 12-22-2011, 04:35 PM
Gray Beard

ORIGINAL: TomCrump

I agree with Grey Beard. I suggest Solartex, or maybe 21st Century Fabric. Both are easy to apply, and much easier than Stits.
Tom, I have some old photos of the Cub I built for myself, A GP Cub and I used the C-21 on my own. It is very easy to work with but I didn't care for the way it shrunk and it didn't hold up to the hot Calif sun very well. When I was going through my Bipe period I started using the TEX coverings and haven't bothered with any of the other methods or products. TEX is way too easy, doesn't bubble or sag in the sun after I cure it, takes paint, light weight and lasts forever. If it gets a hanger hole in it it's easy to patch plus light weight. I have been thinking of starting to use it on my stunt planes like Extras and Sukhois. Being a matte finish it doesn't flash at me while my plane is in the air. Very easy to see. Just cost more then plastic.
Old 12-23-2011, 03:01 AM
TomCrump

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Living in the Great White North, I haven't had any problems at all with 21st Century Fabric. I have switched to Solartex, however, because I now like to paint the entire airframe. This way, I don't have to find paint that matches the covering's color.

This 1/3 Spacewalker is covered in natural Solartex, and painted in Rustoleum.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd93487.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	240.4 KB
ID:	1703894  
Old 12-23-2011, 10:14 AM
Gray Beard

ORIGINAL: TomCrump

Living in the Great White North, I haven't had any problems at all with 21st Century Fabric. I have switched to Solartex, however, because I now like to paint the entire airframe. This way, I don't have to find paint that matches the covering's color.

This 1/3 Spacewalker is covered in natural Solartex, and painted in Rustoleum.
My kingdom to be a better painter, I get it done but I'm never happy with it. I lived in Calif. and here in NV, heat and sun are a big problem. I do most of my building during the summer heat. I lay on the main covering {plastic and Tex} then assemble the plane, set it out on my patio in the direct sun. It sags quite a bit. Then I pull it back into my shop and shring the covering down again and repete the proces until the covering no longer sags. From that point on I can either paint of cover with trim colors. I have had my planes out in the hot summer sun for 4 days without any sag or wrinkles.
Due to my lack of skill with a paint gun I often buy the TEX in colors and cover just like I was using plastic.
I am getting better with a spray gun though. I have looked at your planes before, I'm not up to your talent but I am getting better.