Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Good .46 zero kit

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Good .46 zero kit

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2011, 03:56 AM
crazy nick
My Feedback: (29)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Good .46 zero kit

Looking for a descent zero to add to the hanger. I have a tower .46 lying around. This will be my second kit so looking for somethin simple doesn't have to be scale persay.
Old 12-28-2011, 08:55 AM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: Good .46 zero kit

Kits are pretty hard to come by but there is a site with several of the old Royal kit plans that are being sold. They come with all the templates, instructions and they also sell the canopy's and cowls if required. Very good prices but you would have to cut you own kit. Not hard at all. Try a goggle using royal rc plans. If you can't locate the site PM me and I will try to give it to you. I have it in my favorites but haven't figured out how to send the address to anyone from my favorites file?? Totally computer stupid, sorry. There are a lot of the Royal warbird kits/plans there, about $25.00. If you have never flown one of the old Royal planes then you would be in for a treat. I have been eyeballing the Stuka for a while now. I may order the plans for it this week.
I pulled it up and the address shown is rc-royal.com price is $24.00 for the Zero
Old 12-28-2011, 09:26 AM
crazy nick

I'll check it out grey, thank u
Old 12-28-2011, 10:43 AM
SeamusG

Em, yum - thx for the info Gene!
Old 12-28-2011, 11:04 AM
Gray Beard

ORIGINAL: SeamusG

Em, yum - thx for the info Gene!
Thought I sent it to you?? Some good stuff there for those of us that liked the Royal kits. Someone posted the site here on RCU some time ago. I put it into my favorites and now can't pass it along. I'm sure someone that knew how to operate a computer could, I'm not that person though.
Old 12-28-2011, 12:59 PM
SeamusG

ORIGINAL: Gray Beard
Thought I sent it to you?? Some good stuff there for those of us that liked the Royal kits. Someone posted the site here on RCU some time ago. I put it into my favorites and now can't pass it along. I'm sure someone that knew how to operate a computer could, I'm not that person though.
You may well have. I had a hard drive "issue"that took a long time to show up and rendered my backups pretty much worthless. Oh well ...

Ido have a band saw and a scroll saw. Patience? Nope. But I DOhave a lot of band aides.

Old 12-28-2011, 02:41 PM
Roary m
My Feedback: (67)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If I could discourage you; not from getting a Zero, but rather a small size ship. I have seen so many of those guys snap over onto their back, so I could say, go for a larger size, a 70 in. wingspan. It will fly better.
Old 12-28-2011, 02:42 PM
Gray Beard

You have seen me cut a kit for a 1/4 scale in less then two hours so if you don't have patience then make sure you have some beer. The last one I cut I used the band saw, there were no inside cuts. I was surprised at how much faster a band saw was. I looked at the Royal Zero again today and it looks like it would be a great build. None of the Royal kits were hard to build, they just required a bunch of sanding to shape. Now sanding is something even beer doesn't help.
Old 12-28-2011, 04:12 PM
box car

Gray beard, the way I do it is open the favorite do a copy on the address and paste it in the e-mail.
Ken
Old 12-28-2011, 04:41 PM
smithcreek
My Feedback: (25)

ORIGINAL: Gray Beard

there is a site with several of the old Royal kit plans that are being sold.
[link=http://rc-royal.com/rc-plane-plan.html]RC-Royal.com[/link] also goes by uswings on ebay. I have purchased plans and canopies from him and he is very good to deal with.
Old 12-29-2011, 03:38 AM
crazy nick

Wow! They do have some very cool plans. I've seen ppl get there plans cut professionally. Is this recommended? I don't have a band saw. However you have my attention. I do have a great source for wood. There is an old shop near me called Dick Wetzels. He used to do airplane reviews for a magazine. So he has all the products and knowledge to help in person if I would need it. I just don't know where to begin besides the obvious of buying the plans.
Old 12-29-2011, 05:27 AM
Gray Beard

ORIGINAL: crazy nick

Wow! They do have some very cool plans. I've seen ppl get there plans cut professionally. Is this recommended? I don't have a band saw. However you have my attention. I do have a great source for wood. There is an old shop near me called Dick Wetzels. He used to do airplane reviews for a magazine. So he has all the products and knowledge to help in person if I would need it. I just don't know where to begin besides the obvious of buying the plans.
It isn't hard to do at all but if you don't have a lot of kits under your belt it can be hard. Those royal plans also come with the instructions so it's just building a kit you have cut yourself. It depends on the plane itself if you should use a kit cutter or not. I don't. A kit cutter only cuts the ribs and formers. You supply your own stringers and sheeting anyway. The tools required to cut a kit are a scroll saw and belt sander. Harbor Freight. A can of spray mount glue, a crafts store. You just glue the templates onto the wood then cut to the outside then sand to the lines. Now you have a kit. I buy my wood from National Balsa or Lone Star Balsa. Some plans today no longer come with any form of instructions so the builder is on there own. There are a lot of tricks to cutting your own. Gang cutting ribs is just one. I use two sided carpet laying tape and just tape my wood together or use the spray mount glue then cut. When done I use a heat gun to soften the glue to get the parts apart. In this day and age cutting your own and building from plans is one of the only ways to get the plane you want. Kits have been replaced by ARFs. If you decide to give it a try just ask for help here on RCU. I often even build the same plane at the same time with others and we can help each outher out with email and photos. It's fun.
Gene
Old 12-29-2011, 05:56 AM
Gray Beard

This was my summer project this year. If you click on my name you can go into my photo file and see a couple of my planes I have built from plans. You will see another Sukhoi 29, it's the only plane I have built two of. In my file the Krier Kraft, Daddy Rabbit, Fokker, Sukhoi and Boeing Bipe are all built from plans. This 80 inch Sukhoi cost me just a couple bucks over $200.00 to build. That was all the wood, glue and fiber glass. I had the canopy and LG on hand or it would have been more money. The Daddy Rabbit was a free plane. I was bored and had the plans and a lot of left over wood on hand. Always order more wood then you need. Sooner or later you too can build free planes.
When I get my hands on a kit I make templates of every part then get a copy of the plans and instructions. I can't count how many planes I have built from pirated kits. I have friends I trade plans and templates with a few other guys. When a kit is discontinued as long as someone has the templates and plans that old kit will stay alive. We also share information about the planes and the build. I gave my building partner the plans to my Boeing Bipe and with the information I gained from mine his came out way better. It's fun and can often be a big money saver. Not always but depending on the plane often. One things for sure, as long as there are plans these old planes will still be built and flown.
Gene
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Kf12874.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	109.2 KB
ID:	1706388