Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Hostetler Lancair ES Build with retracts.

Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Hostetler Lancair ES Build with retracts.

Old 01-22-2015, 03:25 PM
bmwbazza

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Progress

Hiya Ron,

Sounds like things are really starting to happen.

With your servo installation and testing, are you going to use a power dsitribution board at all to handle the higher draw from the servos as against the power capability of your receiver. My Hitec RX is only good for about 800 mah, where as the 10 servos that I will be using at worst case could pull over 2 amps. That might let the smoke come out - not good.

It was just as well that I measured the incidence angles as aginst the front firewall angle. Every thing ganged to a major far to much positive angle. It would have reared up like a shot horse on take off. Aggghhhh!

I'm in the head scratching mode trying to work out the colour scheme. There are some fantastic schemes on the Internet from full size aircraft, but lots of hard work to mask up.

Barry
Old 01-22-2015, 03:44 PM
1UGLYPUG

That might be a good idea to check the servo amp draw... we haven't thought about that. I am flying a giant Cub using the same radio and servos Ron will be using, and have not had any problems,,, Really never thought about it. His Lancair will have a much higher wing loading than my Cub and draw more amps moving the surfaces...... May have to check it out on my cub now too..... Thanks...
Old 01-22-2015, 04:23 PM
sebo

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't have that on my cessna 150 which is a ten footer.....we know we will be using a spectrum 8 channel receiver...I think....
glad you brought up the power dsitribution board. I never heard of it.
I'll have to go along with uglypug's suggestions though....he is my maiden flght man and advisor. He's a pretty smart cookie .... 'cept when he is bugging me...then he can be a pain.
Old 01-23-2015, 10:10 AM
1UGLYPUG

Ronbo,, wake up and answer your phone!! Ha Ha....
Old 02-18-2015, 03:04 PM
bmwbazza

Default How's your eyeball

Hiya Ron,

How's the newly polished eyeball. Have you been able to get back yet to a bit of balsa bashing?

Barry
Old 02-18-2015, 03:17 PM
sebo

Distance in both eyes is great.....close up needs some eye strengthening......But glasses work too.
I found out that I installed two flap servos backwards and had to correct that.
Landing gear works great now.
Elevator and rudder need to be hooked up.
Also there are some bumps in the fuselage that I have to either build up or sand down to make it really smooth.
The wings need some sanding and then glassing...
I'm feeling pretty good about it now.....I was really discouraged when I saw how I had put the flap servos in....really dumb. Had to remove the old mounting setup and create a new one for each wing.
I've been doing a lot of flying too...now I have to do some repair work on one of the planes that I bought from a guy who didn't put hard wood where the servo horns connect to the elevator....one separated and the landing was kinda ruff.
I also have to put a more rigid throttle wire in my Nosen Aeronca...the big one.
Need to go to Perry Georgia to the swap meet next month and see if I can get an inexpensive receiver or two from the manufacturer......A friend gave me a 7 channel he wasn't using for one of my six channel radios. Nice guy.... now only if I can remember which side is up when I am flying...was inverted last week and didn't know it.....maybe the eyes aren't that good yet!!! LOL
Old 02-18-2015, 07:53 PM
1UGLYPUG

We just have to find a way to get you back on a regular sleep cycle.... So glad this eye went so much better than the first one!! Can't wait for Perry!!
Old 03-13-2015, 07:57 PM
sebo

A few of us went to the perry R/C swap meet last weekend.
You ought to go sometime......

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...aign=Mar132015

Last edited by sebo; 03-13-2015 at 09:20 PM.
Old 03-23-2015, 06:34 PM
sebo

I've repaired all of my damaged airplanes so now it is back to work on the Lancair....stay tuned.
Old 04-01-2015, 10:35 PM
sebo

I connected the flap and aileron servos to a 8 channel spectrum receiver that I bought at Perry Georgia.....($76.00).
I was amazed at how well the flaps worked...3 positions....
I had never done fowler flaps in this manner before.
I may try it again on another plane.
Old 04-20-2015, 07:55 PM
sebo

All servos and air lines are connected and trial tested except for the rudder and throttle.
I am having my flying partner come in and route the wires and hoses the way he sees best....I hate doing that stuff because everyone laughs at the way I do those things.
After that I will finish glassing the wings and paint.
Old 04-25-2015, 02:05 AM
sebo

This is how I wire and plumb things........I love to build....this part of it is not my forte.
I will be calling my maiden flight man to straighten this mess out.....everything works but it sure doesn't look pretty.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03153.JPG
Views:	335
Size:	2.26 MB
ID:	2091834  
Old 04-25-2015, 04:08 AM
TomCrump

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by sebo
This is how I wire and plumb things........I love to build....this part of it is not my forte.
everything works but it sure doesn't look pretty.

My Dad worked in avionics. His soldering and wiring skills were top shelf. My wiring skills are similar to yours. LOL

I mention this so that you know that you are not alone.
Old 04-25-2015, 08:28 AM
sebo

I was an aviation electronics technician in the navy....I hate wires.
Old 05-10-2015, 09:11 PM
sebo

Most of the plumbing is done....I will be finishing that and then be glassing the wings this week.
Old 05-17-2015, 02:10 AM
sebo

I started glassing the bottom of one wing half 3 days ago and had to quit in the middle of the job, Having laid out the remainder of the cloth so it was smooth and straight I quit working on it...when I went back tonight I found that I didn't lay it out so straight after all...have a few small wrinkles to straighten out....
lesson learnded....don't stop mid way in glassing a section of the plane....possible wrinkles may occur. do the whole portion at one time,
It's not hard to correct but you won't have to correct it if you do it all at once....always start at the bottom of the item that you are glassing.
going to bed now and letting the glass set up over night......
I'm using Pacer Zap Z-poxy.....very little odor...doesn't stink the house up or fill the lungs with toxic junk...

Last edited by sebo; 05-17-2015 at 02:12 AM.
Old 05-18-2015, 10:19 PM
sebo

I finished glassing the bottom of one side of the wing tonight...I'll try to get the top side tomorrow. No hatches or stuff like that so it should go pretty fast.
Old 05-21-2015, 08:42 PM
sebo

I finished glassing the top of one side of the wing tonight....just have to sand off the overhanging glass cloth.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03160.JPG
Views:	305
Size:	2.09 MB
ID:	2097570  
Old 06-12-2015, 02:11 AM
sebo

The plane is completely glassed now and I am adding more pizazz to the wing fillets.....saw a picture that I liked and want to duplicate those fillets.
all wiring and pumbing of airlines has been done except for the final hookup of the navigation lights and the off on switches and charge jacks......
all paints have been purchased as well as the primer.....
It's getting close to completion now....I'm getting excited about it.
Old 06-12-2015, 02:36 AM
chasrb

Looking forward to your photos of the painted plane!
Old 06-12-2015, 02:48 AM
sebo

Me too! Metalic green and white....Sherwin Williams green.
Old 06-18-2015, 04:50 PM
sebo

One wing fillet is completed....will start on the other tomorrow.
It's hard to believe how fast thirty minute epoxy hardens with micro baloons in it....an it gets HOT too. If you use it, work fast or in small portions.
Old 06-29-2015, 08:12 AM
sebo

Worked on the plane for about twelve hours last night.....still a lot of little stuff that needs to be followed up on before I apply paint.
Battery placement and switches are next on the agenda.
I sanded the fuselage so thin that I stuck my finger thru it on one spot on the belly...trying to keep the weight down.
Old 07-15-2015, 10:26 PM
sebo

All wiring and glassing is done...I broke one hatch while working on the wiring...will fix it in a day or two then put everything together and she how it all functions.
if it goes as expected, I will be priming in a week or so...Have to mask of the canopy and windows prior to doing that.
Old 08-05-2015, 06:15 PM
sebo

Everything is done except for the attaching of the cowl.....I will work that out and it will be ready for priming......

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.