Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Ordering lite ply from a local wood shop?

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Ordering lite ply from a local wood shop?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2012, 04:34 PM
foodstick

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Ordering lite ply from a local wood shop?

Has anyone ever had any luck finding out what to order and from who to get the best deals on lite ply? there are some specialty wood stores around, i wonder if you can get any deals if you know what to order..

Just a thought...
Old 01-03-2012, 04:56 PM
Buckmeister

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Ordering lite ply from a local wood shop?

Great question, I'd like to hear what others have to say. I'm getting killed at the LHS(local hobby shop)and they never have the right sizes or what they have is warped.
Old 01-03-2012, 05:14 PM
k12rc

balsa usa
lone star balsa are two good ones it depends on how much you need.I build and repair a lot for people so I usually order at least a $100 DOLLARS WORTH. You have to consider the shipping more you order the less it cost
Old 01-03-2012, 06:03 PM
box car

ORIGINAL: foodstick

Has anyone ever had any luck finding out what to order and from who to get the best deals on lite ply? there are some specialty wood stores around, i wonder if you can get any deals if you know what to order..

Just a thought...
I have been in this hobby for 60 years and I have found the best way is what k12rc posted.

Ken
Old 01-03-2012, 06:28 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have been using Lone Star for years. My summer build I tried to place and order and they didn't have all the wood I needed in stock. They were out of the light ply. I used National Balsa and was really happy. No warped wood and the sheetings edges were cut more even. Balsa USA has some of the best wood on the planet but there prices are a lot higher. If you just google Balsa wood a number of places will come up.Most places have an ammount you need to order. Lone Star used to be $25.00 worth of wood. Not a problem, I keep enough wood in my shop to build a couple of planes, not just hard wood.
Old 01-03-2012, 06:46 PM
k12rc

ORIGINAL: Gray Beard

I have been using Lone Star for years. My summer build I tried to place and order and they didn't have all the wood I needed in stock. They were out of the light ply. I used National Balsa and was really happy. No warped wood and the sheetings edges were cut more even. Balsa USA has some of the best wood on the planet but there prices are a lot higher. If you just google Balsa wood a number of places will come up.Most places have an ammount you need to order. Lone Star used to be $25.00 worth of wood. Not a problem, I keep enough wood in my shop to build a couple of planes, not just hard wood.
thanks Gray Beard another place to check out also check AK models they have some decent prices
http://www.balsawoodinc.com/balsawoodproducts
Old 01-03-2012, 06:48 PM
Tony Hallo

Received 50 Likes on 48 Posts

I buy 4'X8'X 3mm sheets of Itialian bending plywood, same as popular, get the column stuff, the barrel grain runs opposite what we use in the hobby. I bought 3 sheets last time,I had to order. With 4'X8' sheets I can cut a gaint scale fuselage side without spicing. I think the cost was about $48 per sheet. It does get a little wavy but can be worked out.
Old 01-03-2012, 07:14 PM
Chad Veich
My Feedback: (60)

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Like Tony said, Italian bending Poplar is what you want. Exact same stuff as "Lite Plywood" from the hobby shop or any of the usual suppliers. I think I only paid about half of what Tony posted above for the last 4' x 8' sheet I purchased here in the Phoenix area. Check with cabinet shops as well. Many of them use it and may be willing to sell, or give away, their cut-offs.

PS - It is often referred to as "bender board" as well but make sure to get Italian Poplar as their are other types of bender board that are not suitable for models.
Old 01-03-2012, 09:43 PM
Campgems

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You might try Aircraft Spruce http://www.aircraftspruce.com/menus/wp/plywood.html

Don
Old 01-04-2012, 04:06 AM
box car

When it comes to plywoodaircraftspruceis my go to place.

Old 01-04-2012, 08:10 AM
yel914

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Chad and Tony have it right. I buy mine from a local hardwood lumber distributor that sells to cabinet shops. I think I paid $16/sheet for a 4x8 last time around. I've also gotten scraps from cabinet shops. You'll need to look for high end cabinet shops that do radius work. I knew I was on the right track when I found a piece of lite ply in a plane kit with "made in Italy" printed on it.