Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Deweyville special?

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Deweyville special?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2012, 03:33 PM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts
Default Deweyville special?

Iwent to a swap meet today and picked up a 1.20 sized high wing tail dragger. Paid all of $30 for it. It was a kit built plane, too well assembled to be an ARF. It has a 6' wingspan. Wing attaches to wire struts, and has wire braces. It also has large tail surfaces and a layered spring tail wheel.

Since it has no engine or radio, Idont know where the CG will be, and the previous owner had put in a large amount of lead weight in the nose. It has a short motor mount which will need to be replaced for the DLE20 to fit. Other than some loose covering and the elevator ends being munched a bit, it is in REALLy good shape.

A few things I do need help with.

1. What kind of covering do I need to make repairs with, it is cloth like plastic covering, sort of like what my friend has in his Hanger 9 Cub ARF.

2. The covering is tacky and dirty, what can Iclean it with so that Ican patch it. The few areas of loose covering my not adhere, Idont know how old it is.

3. How can I get in the nose to replace the tank with one for gas?

4. Where is the CG?

5. There is an eye hook in the middle of the wing and another one on the horizontal, is there supposed to be some wire braces from the wing to the tail?

Heck just the landing gear alone on this plane is worth the $30 I paid for it.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig13509.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	64.9 KB
ID:	1711623  
Old 01-08-2012, 03:41 PM
acdii

Default RE: Deweyville special?

For some reason the pics I uploaded didn't post.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	us54870.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	1.59 MB
ID:	1711627   Click image for larger version

Name:	wr54518.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	1.73 MB
ID:	1711628   Click image for larger version

Name:	bg92464.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	1.55 MB
ID:	1711629   Click image for larger version

Name:	qj19626.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	1.56 MB
ID:	1711630   Click image for larger version

Name:	pa34455.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	1.74 MB
ID:	1711631   Click image for larger version

Name:	fv26279.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	1.85 MB
ID:	1711632   Click image for larger version

Name:	xz54536.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	1.61 MB
ID:	1711633  
Old 01-08-2012, 03:52 PM
huck1199

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The eye hooks are probaly for the antenna.
Old 01-08-2012, 04:03 PM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Acdii

Congratulations it appears to be fine purchase and great price. I do not know exactly what your airplane is but I do fly one very similar that I do know is a sorta scale fokker D-8 and about that size.

You really do not need to have a big mystery with that simple wing (straight chord) parasol configuration simply ballance at the Quarter chord. Thats 25% Mac or one quarter of the wings chord back from the leading edge.

With the parasol type I would go no further back than 25% not even a scoosh.

John
Old 01-08-2012, 04:35 PM
acdii

I did some googlin and found it is an Orline kit from maybe the 70's from a Vintage kit redesigned to RC.   From what I found the kits that are still available are $175 and up.  Now if I can dig up the manual and plans for it, I would really rock this plane.  The Fokker you mentioned may be from the same company, as a Fokker was mentioned.
Old 01-08-2012, 04:38 PM
acdii

ORIGINAL: huck1199

The eye hooks are probaly for the antenna.
That would explain why there was only one on the stab, Ithought maybe the other one fell out, but didn't look close enough at it yet. Ijust did a prelim once over when I got it home to make sure it wasnt all rotted inside. It is in remarkable condition, very clean inside for a plane flown with a slimer on it. The outside needs a good cleaning, but once cleaned will be a very nice looking plane, Ugly, but nice. Iplan to put letters upside down on it calling it the Big Ugly 1. Once Imaster inverted in it a flyby would be neat, you would be able to read it.

Old 01-08-2012, 11:41 PM
G17Staggerwing
My Feedback: (159)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello,
I flew one of these about 25 years ago with an OS 60FS. It is a Great flying plane. I later upped the engine to an OS 90FS and add Floats. It was my first and to this day my only attempt at flying off of water!! I had several flight off a beautiful lake in New Hampshire one 4TH of July Holiday Weekend. I took my boat and fishing stuff and my RC Plane and had a GREAT TIME!! FLEW RC $ COULD TROUT!!! What a WEEKEND!!!! Well back to the plane, After many years of not having one I got the erg to get another one. So I have 2 new kits stashed away. 1 large size like you STOLE and a 40 size. I will try and get to it and find the actual CG Point for you. But if I don't the recommendation by the other gentleman will put you pretty much DEAD ON!! As far as covering material goes, it might be COVERITE. That is a fabric type of material that comes in colors or in white and can be painted. That is the material of my choice on scale A/C. You need to use a bonding agent to help it to adhere to the wood or itself when covering overlapping seams. For that you would need a can of BALSARITE. Make sure you get the one for fabric. They also make one for plastic type covering like Monokote. Now about your tank issue? The only way I can see you getting the tank out is by getting in there with a small dremel tool or a hand saw like an EXACTO KNIFE with a saw blade and cut out the cross brace and side braces and try to work the tank out. You might have to trim the top of the bulkhead above the tank also. I am not sure of the tank size. But if it is large enough you can just change the plug, new tygon tubing lines, clunck and reinstall. I hope I was able to be of some assistance.
Nevin
G17Staggerwing