Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Kit build help....AAmco Aeromaster "TOO"

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Kit build help....AAmco Aeromaster "TOO"

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2012, 03:44 PM
Thatsakitbuilt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kit build help....AAmco Aeromaster "TOO"

Hi all,

I could use some good advice. A fellow friend/modeler asked me to build this Aamco Areomaster "TOO" bi-plane. This is an older kit. I've built several kits (6) before, but all of them have been SIG kits. The Hog Bipe and the Astro Hog were the most challenging. The first thing I noticed, there is no manual, just plans. There are 3 wing options to choose from. My concern is, I'm not sure about my plan reading skills. Just glancing at them, they look very detailed/confusing. Should I take the plans and get them copied so I can cut and build off of the copies? And any advice as to what/how to go about how to identify what order to build. This is a first classic kit for me and I want to build this as best as I can. I am very surprised and honored he asked me to build this, but it's very intimidating right now. He has seen all of my planes that I've built at the field, and he seemed pretty impressed with them. I am no expert by all means, and I've only been in this great hobby about 5 years or so. All he asked was that I build it, and let him fly it a few times. I'm still in awe that he asked me. Thanks folks.

Cal
Old 01-10-2012, 04:31 PM
piper_chuck
My Feedback: (12)

Default RE: Kit build help....AAmco Aeromaster

I've never built this particular plane, but I know they don't make them any more. Definitely make several copies of the plans and keep the originals unmolested.
Old 01-10-2012, 04:34 PM
R8893
My Feedback: (20)

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I have built three of them. No need to copy the plans if you cover with waxed paper while building. There are building instructions on the plan sheet that ought to be sufficient. My first two had equal span swept top wing and straight bottom wing. Latest one has long top wing. No significant difference in flight.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr50948.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	32.5 KB
ID:	1712531  
Old 01-10-2012, 06:22 PM
Thatsakitbuilt

Thanks for the replies.

R8893,

My main concern is the cabane wires. I'm a novice when it comes to bending wire or soldering. Also, any other things you can advise me on?

Thanks
Cal
Old 01-11-2012, 08:38 AM
yel914

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You might have a look in the thread listed in the Antique and Golden Age forum, here on RCU. Lots of good input on this version of the kit as well as the newer Great Planes version. Good luck on the build
Old 01-11-2012, 10:07 AM
R8893
My Feedback: (20)

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Cal, the cabane and landing gear wires should be in the kit; no bending is required. There should also be some thin wire to bind the joints before soldering. I have a couple changes to recommend. The kit has a 1/4" plywood motor mount plate. I replaced this with 1/4" thick aluminum in the 2nd and 3rd models. The aluminum is drilled and tapped for the engine mount screws. I Attached the aluminum to the big bearers with long #8 sheet metal screws. The 1/4 ply parts chrushed over time; the sheet metal screws never came out or loosened. I have reinforced the trailing edge of the lower wing so the rubber bands won't crush it (g-10 insert). I also reinforced the tailwheel/rudder/hinge.
Chuck
Old 01-11-2012, 10:43 AM
RCPAUL
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I built severl aeromasters a long time ago - wonderful airplane. I was in the same club with Lou Andrews and got one of the first. Not a hard kit but harder than some. The early ones I had were powered by VECO 61s and the last had an OS 91FS.

Enjoy the build!

Paul
Old 02-16-2012, 03:48 PM
mountainroad
My Feedback: (18)

How's the build going? Have the same plane I need to finnish. The fuse and one wing is built but I need to build the other wing. if it is of any value to you had the plans copied and they made me a digital copy I can email to anyone who needs it.
MR
Old 02-18-2012, 10:23 AM
RCVFR
My Feedback: (7)

I built this kit years ago, and the changes I made were to make bolt on wings (the open squares designed for rubber bands were fitted with ply and drilled for mounting bolts), and attaching a more conventional landing gear ( the orig design is for rubber banded attachment). It is a great flying plane that captures attention at the field.

Enjoy the build.
Old 02-18-2012, 01:43 PM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I built 7 of these because they fly so well. One thing I found out for sure is to set the upper wing at 1.5 degrees less angle of attack than the lower wing for best performance. I preferred the swept upper wing and straight lower wing but all flew very well. I also went to bolt on wings after the first one showed how messy those rubber bands could be. While they work well without the interplane struts, I found that adding them helped if you do a lot of violent manuevers, keeps the wing tips from touching each other on some manuevers.