Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Do You Prefer Wood Props or Nylon Props?

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Do You Prefer Wood Props or Nylon Props?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2012, 12:08 PM
MetallicaJunkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Do You Prefer Wood Props or Nylon Props?

glow planes apc.... gassers wood and CF

ive used vess and xoar wood props under 16" on glow planes and they dont seem to perform as well as APC props
Old 01-20-2012, 02:49 PM
cutaway

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Out of dozens of APC's I've had over the years, only a few turned out to be balanced to my satisfaction off the rack. I've been using a lot of 11x4's lately, and every single one was very out of balance. The MAS, wood, and other black nylon's like the Taipan's are no better.
Old 01-20-2012, 04:11 PM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Don't worry over it ... Fly ducted fans or turbines ... that will solve all the problems associated with PROPS ... LOL ... Then U can worry about over taxing your Credit cards .....

Old 01-20-2012, 04:12 PM
HoundDog

ORIGINAL: cutaway

Out of dozens of APC's I've had over the years, only a few turned out to be balanced to my satisfaction off the rack. I've been using a lot of 11x4's lately, and every single one was very out of balance. The MAS, wood, and other black nylon's like the Taipan's are no better.
Ever notice that the Hole seems to be off center on APC?
Old 01-20-2012, 06:03 PM
Tarasdad

I've used both in he past but now prefer wood almost exclusively. They simply perform better on me engines.
Old 01-20-2012, 07:02 PM
cessna172av
My Feedback: (3)

Nylon props are the best because they don't break that easily if you have a prop strike.
Old 01-20-2012, 08:28 PM
Zor
Banned

ORIGINAL: HoundDog

HoundDog,

I can back you up on this one,

Out of 6 (six) APC props Ihave 4 had a center bore / hole as much as 0.010 (ten thou) off the center line of the blades. It was visible by eye.

My first question was "is the hub thinner (less radius) on one side vs the other side?
So I experimented.

I used my prop balancer and balanced one prop horizontally. It was nice and stable in one hoizontal orientation. If I would disturb itwould come back horizontal. If I would turn it 180 degrees it was unstable (CG above the support) would swing around, oscillate like a pendulum and stop horizontal in its first orientation. (CG below support).

I marked the heavy side and tried to put it vertical. It would rotate the heavy mark going down. If vertical in the other orientation (180 deg from previous with the mark on the other side; again the heavy mark would go down.

Give it a kick and make it rotate. Invariably it would end up horizontal with the mark under the supporting axis.

Some tricky measurements revealed one prop 0.010 inch out on one side obviously at 90 degrees with the tip to tip straight line.

I did the same with a second prop and found it 0.006" out.

I did not bother with the two others but I can tell just by eye that they also are out of center.

Who cares? Most never bother to balance their prop.

Zor

Old 01-20-2012, 08:32 PM
lkruse
My Feedback: (42)

Wood or composite, to paraphrase the late George Aldrich, propellers are known for vigorously defending their space.
Old 01-20-2012, 08:52 PM
HoundDog

ORIGINAL: Zor

ORIGINAL: HoundDog

HoundDog,

I can back you up on this one,

Out of 6 (six) APC props Ihave 4 had a center bore / hole as much as 0.010 (ten thou) off the center line of the blades. It was visible by eye.

My first question was "is the hub thinner (less radius) on one side vs the other side?
So I experimented.

I used my prop balancer and balanced one prop horizontally. It was nice and stable in one hoizontal orientation. If I would disturb itwould come back horizontal. If I would turn it 180 degrees it was unstable (CG above the support) would swing around, oscillate like a pendulum and stop horizontal in its first orientation. (CG below support).

I marked the heavy side and tried to put it vertical. It would rotate the heavy mark going down. If vertical in the other orientation (180 deg from previous with the mark on the other side; again the heavy mark would go down.

Give it a kick and make it rotate. Invariably it would end up horizontal with the mark under the supporting axis.

Some tricky measurements revealed one prop 0.010 inch out on one side obviously at 90 degrees with the tip to tip straight line.

I did the same with a second prop and found it 0.006" out.

I did not bother with the two others but I can tell just by eye that they also are out of center.

Who cares? Most never bother to balance their prop.

Zor

Most props need some balancing the bigger they are the more ... to do it right the blades should be balanced first then the hub ... Good luck with it.
Old 01-20-2012, 08:55 PM
Altered1

I run an airboat, and a wooden prop is a big no no. Any water hitting the prop can turn a wooden one into lovely shards. APC for me.
Old 01-20-2012, 09:49 PM
MetallicaJunkie

ORIGINAL: lkruse

Wood or composite, to paraphrase the late George Aldrich, propellers are known for vigorously defending their space.
[8D] he's a legendary amongst a few RC guys

i have a couple of his modded engines thanks to my dad....
Old 01-21-2012, 02:50 AM
airplanejunkie
My Feedback: (2)

I will try and whip anyone who uses a plastic metal or nylon prop and at my age that is a real issue. After 62 years in this wonderful hobby, the most serious accidents have been the loss of an eye with a dried out Top Flight pure nylon prop and multiple fingers lost with the extremely sharp APC reinforced plastic props. The most severe with the later APC. I am so againt them, I refuse to train or help anyone who has such as the above on their model. I even carry a variety of wooden props so I can help others. Yes the preformance may not be as good but does it matter if your sight or thumb is gone???????? Off My soapbox. Thanks Dave George AMA5129 RW 2500
Old 01-21-2012, 03:31 AM
pmerritt
My Feedback: (118)

I agree with Bozarth.  If you need a 60 tooth carbide tipped blade then that's what you use.  I don't know about the rest of you but I started with a 12v electric starter and won't fly without it. 

I don't think I've seen it mentioned but when I am in front of my plane starting it  (which is always in a tail chock)  I hold my starter right in front of the started engine between it and myself until I'm ready to get up and walk around behind the plane.  It's just a logical defense strategy that if for some reason the plane breaks lose or the prop spins off, hopefully it will hit the starter first. 
Home Depot sells some VERY inexpensive CLEAR (or UV tinted) safety glasses that will help save an eye I use when starting planes and then depending on if I need sunglasses or not I either keep on during flight or remove. 

12v starters are a lot less expensive than a trip to the ER. 
Old 01-21-2012, 05:06 AM
on_your_six
My Feedback: (11)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

AirplaneJunkie,

Sorry to hear of the injuries as a result of propellers flying apart and prop hand strikes. I too have seen some damage done to a good friend. Always use a chicken stick or a FULL LEATHER glove. I use a starter all the time and have a great deal of respect for the prop arc. Largest engine currently is 55cc.

For my propeller selection, I try to be more scientific about it than most. I have a static engine thrust indication system that I use to measure the pounds of thrust generated on the ground. By comparing several different prop types (Wood, APC, and Carbon Fiber), I can choose the best prop for the engine. Testing does not stop there. I also do some dynamic speed testing. I have two systems 1) a radar gun and 2.) an airspeed telemetry unit that can be installed in the plane.

I make two runs in opposed directions and average the speeds to eliminate the wind speed. Thus I can tell the better propeller for speed. Speed is not the entire answer however. 3D and aerobatics do not rely on speed, so a flatter pitch may be needed.

I have found that Xoar props are quite good for the price. The mejlick props are good. This in no way is an industry wide exhaustive analysis. It is a call for testing, if you want to determine the best for your given situation. Sure the cost of props increases as you try a couple. I would really like to see some variable pitch propeller systems for model planes.

OH, in case you can't find a static engine thrust system, try searching for fish scale.
Old 01-21-2012, 09:03 AM
Zor
Banned

An interesting post on_your_six.

I have two fish scale that measure quite well in agreement to each other.
I used them to measure the static ground thrust on my Skybolt.
Engine is a Saito 125 and the prop is a 3 blade Master Airscrew 15 x 7 .
I was not successful because the maximum the scale could measure is 8 lbs.

The thrust of 8 lbs was being reached at about half trottle stick on the TX.
I am guessing the full thrust is around 10 lbs .

From half stick position to full position does not of course double the thrust.

The Skybolt without fuel is just about 10 1/2 lbs.

I have pictures of the tests I made if anyone is interested.

Zor

P.S.: For unknown reason I cannot upload a picture at this moment.

Sunday 22 Jan 3012 at 11:04 EST ___Ya 3012 ___this is 2012 Hee Hee !!!
Fianlly was ableto add the picture.

Zor

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo38654.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	29.1 KB
ID:	1716720  
Old 01-21-2012, 09:05 AM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

ORIGINAL: airplanejunkie

I will try and whip anyone who uses a plastic metal or nylon prop and at my age that is a real issue. After 62 years in this wonderful hobby, the most serious accidents have been the loss of an eye with a dried out Top Flight pure nylon prop and multiple fingers lost with the extremely sharp APC reinforced plastic props. The most severe with the later APC. I am so againt them, I refuse to train or help anyone who has such as the above on their model. I even carry a variety of wooden props so I can help others. Yes the preformance may not be as good but does it matter if your sight or thumb is gone???????? Off My soapbox. Thanks Dave George AMA5129 RW 2500
I just scored a bunch of STUFF and while going through the boxes I discovered some of those way cool looking white with red tip nylon props. They did bring back memories but also why they no longer make a lot of the props we had in the early years. I even had some of those way cool looking clear plastic three blades we had in the 50s for a short while. Used them on my Fire Baby. They sold them, looked cool, what the hell did a kid know? Just for show I would still like to find one of the aluminum props we had for a while. Those were slick looking and polished out nice and bright. They didn't last long either. The props we have today don't tend to fly apart like the ones we had in the 50s and 60s.
When bad things started happening people wised up. Back then I started using wood when I saw a number of brand new props explode when just having the engine tuned. We have it pretty good today and if we just keep our hands out of the spinning slice and dice we are pretty safe. Wasn't always like that as the Junkie has pointed out.
Old 01-21-2012, 11:02 AM
on_your_six
My Feedback: (11)

You could set your fish scale up with a pulley arrangement to reduce the tension on the line to the fish scale so that you can use your equipment. Look it up in a physics book.

In our experiments, we measure several RPM and thrust readings. I was going to post a graph... alas RCU won't allow it at the moment. I change props and plot another prop. I also found that the readings on a cold engine vary from a warm engine. You would have to take any results like this as approximate for as altitude and air temperature change, so do the results. We record those variables as we conduct the test.

ORIGINAL: Zor

An interesting post on_your_six.

I have two fish scale that measure quite well in agreement to each other.
I used them to measure the static ground thrust on my Skybolt.
Engine is a Saito 125 and the prop is a 3 blade Master Airscrew 15 x 7 .
I was not successful because the maximum the scale could measure is 8 lbs.

The thrust of 8 lbs was being reached at about half trottle stick on the TX.
I am guessing the full thrust is around 10 lbs .

From half stick position to full position does not of course double the thrust.

The Skybolt without fuel is just about 10 1/2 lbs.

I have pictures of the tests I made if anyone is interested.

Zor

P.S.: For unknown reason I cannot upload a picture at this moment.

Old 01-21-2012, 11:10 AM
jessiej

ORIGINAL: MTK

ORIGINAL: Bozarth

Favoring one prop over another based on what kind of damage they will do to your hand is like picking what type of saw blade you want on your table saw!

Kurt
Ha, ha that's pretty close to what I was thinking too. That's what chicken sticks are for no? OR, god forbid, starters.
Actually, no. Most serious accidents involving props occur after the engine is running. The method of getting it started has nothing to do with it.

Unlike saw blades different prop materials will cause different degrees of damage to flesh and, particularly, bone.

jess
Old 01-21-2012, 11:12 AM
VKGT

Depends on the size of the prop...

I run Carbon on my DA-150 but have a Vess drilled to go on there.

Always ran wood on my smaller gassers which works great. I keep the plastic props on my electrics
Old 01-21-2012, 12:08 PM
EJWash1
My Feedback: (3)

Wood. I prefer wood.
I've always preferred wood over composite. Been running Vess Sports Series for the last couple of years (11X7 & 12X6). Costs a bit more, and it hurts when you whack one and damage a blade, but its my preference. Some of my club mates tease me for sacrificing top-end RPM by not using APC props, but I'm not one to beat-up on my engines by squeezing-out every last RPM.
As far as safety concerns, plenty of testimony here in the thread. When I was 10-years old, my father lost half a thumb to a table saw - clean off and un-attachable. Because of this I've always been respectful of placing my digits close to anything spinning very fast. I have a full woodworking shop, complete with a large variety of push-sticks and jigs for my power tools to keep myself as far away from running blades and bits as possible.
Think about this: if you're tweaking the needle valve on a WOT engine turning 16K RPM, that's 32,000 opportunities (just on a 2-bladed prop) in one minute that the prop has of "tapping" a finger (of course, dependent on how close the position of the needle valve puts your fingers in relation to the prop. I like remote needle valves).
Wood. I prefer wood...
Old 01-21-2012, 12:08 PM
jaka

Hi!
No!
A 12x8 MA is too big for a .52 fourstroke!
A 12x5 or 12x6 RAM or APC are more suitable.

In some cases RAM props are better than APC! MA white tiped props are always worst, sharper edges, sound more and give less performance than every other prop available!
Old 01-22-2012, 12:14 PM
Bozarth
My Feedback: (15)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: jessiej

Favoring one prop over another based on what kind of damage they will do to your hand is like picking what type of saw blade you want on your table saw!

Kurt
Ha, ha that's pretty close to what I was thinking too. That's what chicken sticks are for no? OR, god forbid, starters.
Actually, no. Most serious accidents involving props occur after the engine is running. The method of getting it started has nothing to do with it.

Unlike saw blades different prop materials will cause different degrees of damage to flesh and, particularly, bone.

jess

So do you use a wooden lawn mower blade just in case too? C'mon! Maybe we should all fly with nerf props.

Kurt
Old 01-22-2012, 12:19 PM
flyboy138

I like wood They seem to spool up better for 3D Flying.
Old 01-22-2012, 01:08 PM
WacoNut

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

ORIGINAL: jessiej

Kurt

jess

So do you use a wooden lawn mower blade just in case too? C'mon! Maybe we should all fly with nerf props.

Kurt
I think the point that is trying to be brought up is wood props are safer. People can stick their heads in the sand and say it will never happen to me but once you get a finger or a hand in a prop you will understand. The harder and heavier a prop is the more damage it will inflict. This is why metal props on models were banned years ago.
There is a thread here on RCU somewhere called Prop Bitten, take a look it will scare the crap out of ya One guy is now missing several fingers and most of the function of one hand.
Anthony
Old 01-22-2012, 01:22 PM
Bozarth
My Feedback: (15)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A 10" propeller spinning 14,000 rpms is dangerous - wood, nylon, or composite. Period. Arguing which one is "more" dangerous is moot. Never mind anything bigger!

Kurt

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.