Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

How to rid CA fumes stains

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

How to rid CA fumes stains

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2012, 08:19 PM
YOGA FLY

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to rid CA fumes stains

HELP ive stained the clear canopy by aplying yellow zap on the edges and there are the fumes stains at the edges . is there any way of permanently removing them . cleaning with kerosene it goes away but comes back later albeit a bit lighter shade, any ideas ... thanks
Old 01-22-2012, 05:17 AM
ARUP

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: How to rid CA fumes stains

Experiment with judicious application of acetone and cotton swabs. Kerosene won't dissolve CA but just masks the hazing effects of cured CA blemishes due to optical effects. Once it evaporates you see the blemishes again. Kinda like the 'olden days' trick' of wicking mineral oil in a windshield crack just prior to automobile sale. Once the car is washed the crack shows up again!
Old 01-22-2012, 05:43 AM
vasek
My Feedback: (4)

ORIGINAL: ARUP

... Kerosene won't dissolve CA but just masks the hazing effects of cured CA blemishes due to optical effects. Once it evaporates you see the blemishes again. Kinda like the 'olden days' trick' of wicking mineral oil in a windshield crack just prior to automobile sale. Once the car is washed the crack shows up again!
try airbrushing Future floor wax. It will give that permanent "wet look". It's the way to go. You could wet sand with VERY fine grit prior to spraying Future. Don't worry if it it appears hazy prior to spraying, that's normal. Future will make it crystal clear again
Old 01-22-2012, 09:49 AM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 176 Likes on 151 Posts

Sand the entire canopy with wet 400 grit, enough to remove the fogging. Tape off the rest of the fuse and spray clear over the canopy. The clear will bring back the clarity and add some protection.
Old 05-15-2012, 08:14 AM
Quagmire
My Feedback: (4)

I have had some luck with wd-40
Old 05-15-2012, 08:37 AM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

So far nothing and I gave up trying a long time ago. I have just bought paint for Lexan plastic and painted the inside of the canopy using an air brush. There is glue for Canopy use on the market. One bottle will last years!