Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Balsa USA Fokker DR1 kit ???

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Balsa USA Fokker DR1 kit ???

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2012, 03:41 AM
Toysareforkids
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Balsa USA Fokker DR1 kit ???

Does anyone know if BUSA changed the DR1 kit from the earlier days ('80's or so) I have been following the "Balsa USA Fokker DR1 1/4 scale"thread by Anthony since it started, and I have (someone else built) what I was told to be a BUSA DR-1. But it is different then the one Anthony just built.Looks the same till you start to look how it built. It has a 70 1/2" aileron to aileron wing span.

Theres no ribcap strips, the leading edgesheeting is triangledcut, it has a 1/32 plywoodcover over the center wing to cover the bolts, and the cabanes are different, the ailerons are sheet wood with ribs onit,the wing tips are flat to the bottom of wing, the landing gear mounts to the fuse nose and the lower wing, the cowl is made with the center recessed with rivets around it the like the real one, and has a step aroundwhere it meets the fuse.

I sold it after having it 25 yrs, and I wish I never did. The guy I sold it to rekited it (crashed) and I now getting it back from him, and need the plans to remake some of the parts.

Heres some pictures of it, just before I sold it, and one after!.

Pat
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw69051.jpg
Views:	361
Size:	156.5 KB
ID:	1718679   Click image for larger version

Name:	Je99906.jpg
Views:	335
Size:	163.4 KB
ID:	1718680   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jo30498.jpg
Views:	481
Size:	215.3 KB
ID:	1718681   Click image for larger version

Name:	Un33999.jpg
Views:	340
Size:	146.4 KB
ID:	1718682   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rc39671.jpg
Views:	323
Size:	69.5 KB
ID:	1718683  
Old 01-25-2012, 06:37 AM
Oberst
Banned

Default RE: Balsa USA Fokker DR1 kit ???

ORIGINAL: Toysareforkids

Does anyone know if BUSA changed the DR1 kit from the earlier days ('80's or so) I have been following the '' Balsa USA Fokker DR1 1/4 scale'' thread by Anthony since it started, and I have (someone else built) what I was told to be a BUSA DR-1. But it is different then the one Anthony just built. Looks the same till you start to look how it built. It has a 70 1/2'' aileron to aileron wing span.

Theres no rib cap strips, the leading edge sheeting is triangled cut, it has a 1/32 plywood cover over the center wing to cover the bolts, and the cabanes are different, the ailerons are sheet wood with ribs on it, the wing tips are flat to the bottom of wing, the landing gear mounts to the fuse nose and the lower wing, the cowl is made with the center recessed with rivets around it the like the real one, and has a step around where it meets the fuse.

I sold it after having it 25 yrs, and I wish I never did. The guy I sold it to rekited it (crashed) and I now getting it back from him, and need the plans to remake some of the parts.

Heres some pictures of it, just before I sold it, and one after!.

Pat

Ohhh, Pat. Yep, just a little CA and epoxy and a little patch work that DR1 will look new again.

That's a good question. As you know the original founder and owner of BUSA passed away a few years ago and his daughter took over the business. I haven't bult any BUSA aircraft yet but it is on my Jasta production list by Anthoney Fokker.

What I'd do is send a E-mail to BUSA asking them the question you posted in here. I'm sure they would be better to answer what improvements they have made. At my club us WWI and WWII airplane fans stick together and one guy only builds BUSA kits and he does a wonderful job. At the last meeting I gave him some scale tips and tricks so he can add more details if he wished. Me, I'm getting the BUSA DVIII and I will be mixing bashing it using some GTM plans to scale out the rudder. Also in the planning I'll be building the BUSA Taube, (making it a 3 channel) Eindecker and the Funaero Albatros DIII. They will enhance my Custom modified GP 60 Fokker DR1 and Custom Hanger 9 Fokker DVII Jast fleet I already have.

Anyway, again I'm falling off topic. [:@]

Let us know what they write back to you if they have your answer? I'd like to know.

Pete
Old 01-25-2012, 11:06 AM
Toysareforkids

Ya!just a little CA, epoxy &woodwill fix it!
Good thingI enjoy fixing other peoples crashs. I will stripeverything down, and completely rebuild it right!
And I just sold the G38 I had on it! Now I'll have to find another motor to put on it. Anyone looking for a half built 70" (about) GypsyMoth?

When I talked to the guy about getting it back from him (before I saw it), he told me it wasn't thatbad. But I said, I can fix anything he did to it! He said that I didn't need to recover it. wherethe fuse broke in half was aclean break.I told him it's silk &painted and that he couldn't see all the damageinside.Yesterday he brought only the top wing in to his work along with another kit (old Kyosho Skyraider) I sold him and another one. He didn't have room in his van for all of the DR1, and down loaded that picture of it for me!

He told me today that he had bought some NOS plans, that is ofthis plane, and that I can get them copied for a couple of bucks, down the road from him. So I'll wait till he gets around to bring in the rest to see the plans. He's 45 miles away, and it's taken a couple of weeks to get what I got so far.

Itwill look good,and fly good again!!!

Pat
Old 01-25-2012, 01:39 PM
foodstick

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I really love that covering scheme !

Here is a Sterling stick and tissue kit blown up to about 44 inch wingspan, and now freshly converted to electric.. It was to heavy when glow powered and never flew well.. put it on a diet an moved everything forward to please the CG gods.. now it works ..

Get that thing back in the air ! hope you can enjoy your plane from the past ..Like I do mine.

Name:	Xv64360.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	246.8 KB
ID:	1718898   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lg15712.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	198.8 KB
ID:	1718899  
Old 01-25-2012, 03:24 PM
Toysareforkids

Oh I will get it back into the air!

I have been working on a Guillows DR1 that I blew up to 30", and made a bunch of changes, to make it a stronger, better flying plane. I have sheeted the leading edge, and going to sheet at least half of the fuse. I built a jig to hold the wings where I want them till they are mounted, and now they are completely mounted. It will also be electric.

I been building this one,because I missed my big one, and from building this one, I had to get the other one back. I only sold it to help pay for some of my wifes meds, from a surgery that went wrong. She is starting to feel better finialy after 17 long months. So I'm getting it back!

It will still have the same paint scheme as before, and the smaller one will have the same as the one in the picture I posted which is close but slightly different. But I do like the orange & green one also!

Pat

Name:	Ki19263.jpg
Views:	316
Size:	361.1 KB
ID:	1718993   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vq51772.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	563.2 KB
ID:	1718994   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz79243.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	367.6 KB
ID:	1718995   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj24170.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	107.2 KB
ID:	1718996   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt57481.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	113.2 KB
ID:	1718997  
Old 01-25-2012, 07:10 PM
foodstick

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

There are a LOT of DR1 paint schemes to fall in love with.

I know putting your old plane back together, and seeing it fly again will be a special day !

Keep us informed, I will enjoy watching it come back together.
Old 01-27-2012, 05:51 PM
Toysareforkids

The 1/4 scale DR1 will go back to as it was.
The 30" is something to fly around home, and itmight get the orange & green sceme. Ya, there is alot of color scemes for the DR1. I just don't want a red or camo one. I like them, just I see alot of them.

For my 30"I used the outline of the Guillows,but It's not built like aGuillows or a Electrifly, and has pull-pull for the tail feathers. I don't know what for the ailerons yet, might just be 2 servos in the wing.

Pat
Old 01-27-2012, 07:34 PM
N28

Hi Pat, that aircraft looks like a Scratch-a-plane plan-built Fokker triplane. I built 2 of them in 1990. I think the Balsa USA kit has been around less than 15 years.

Dave
Old 01-28-2012, 03:06 AM
Toysareforkids

Dave,
Really, I didn't think it was a Balsa USA kit from looking at others that I have seen beingbuilt. I had bought it from a guy thatnever flew it, buthe didn'tbuild it. Ibought it, and a96"(?) Flying razor-D8.
I have still the cowl, bent wires, and plans & tempates for a Scratch-a-plane Nieuport 17, that I bought back in the late 80's.

Pat
Old 03-21-2013, 05:26 PM
vertical grimmace
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Maybe it was a Ziroli DR1? The BUSA DR1 is a fairly new airplane. I do not think they had a kit before the one they sell now. If it is, you can get plans from BUSA. In fact, they will sell you any die cut sheet you need for a particular kit.
Old 03-24-2013, 02:47 AM
Toysareforkids

It is a Scratch-a-plane, I have the printon it.
I have already rebuilt it, it only needs to be covered & painted. I already have the coverite covering, and it will be painted with latex paint.
It is built better than before,
In these pictures, it wasn't finished yet.

Pat

Name:	Qo40975.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	116.1 KB
ID:	1865814   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bw71303.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	112.7 KB
ID:	1865815  
Old 03-24-2013, 08:31 AM
vertical grimmace

Fun stuff! What engine are you using?

I just started my second BUSA triplane 2 weeks ago and have the 3 wings and fuse framed up. Can't wait to get to the shop today to get more done. I am going with a Quadra 35. I am going to put in some cockpit details, I have a scale GTM cowling, and some Williams bros guns and dummy cylinders. It will be nice to have another one of these again. It was one of my favorite airplanes.
Old 03-25-2013, 11:15 AM
Toysareforkids

I am using a Quadra 35 also.

I didn't go with the detailed cockpit. My cowl is still the original one that came with the short kit, back in the late 80's. The center is recessed with rivet bumps around it, and stepped edgearound the mounting edge.It's a vacuum formed one, been through hell and still looks good. I sold the plane to a guy, who flew it twice and crashed it. he had installed a different engine and cut the center out. I have replaced it with wood & glass. it is strong, he also broke the left lower corner off, which I glassed back on. Itwon't show when painted. And they say they won't last. I've got over 25 years and it's still on. LOL

I made it so that therudder pin pulls to remove it,and the stabunbolts and comes off. I thought of getting dummy cylinders, I might yet, but I have to get two sets, cause Iwant the for another plane also.

Pat
Old 03-25-2013, 03:10 PM
vertical grimmace

On the Q 35, how have you like that engine? Which prop, and muffler are you using?

I am going to mount mine upright and box the engine mount back. This is necessary when using the scale cowling. It has to go back close to 2 inches.

The thing I will have to work out also is how to prime the engine. It has no choke, so I may run a tube directed to the intake to squirt raw gas in the carb. Not sure yet. My engine starts easily with the spring, but I need to be able to plug the stack with my finger to get the fuel sucked up. Not sure I will be able to do that once the engine is buried inside the plane.
Old 03-26-2013, 02:31 AM
Toysareforkids

I like the engine, I have used a few different Q35 & G38's. I have never had a problem with either one. I am using a Tatone dual snuff'ler on both my Q35 & on my G38. I have never fired up either one with them on yet. I just mounted the G38 on a Monocoupe 90A I'm working on. I moved cross country and my new flying field wants to keep them quiet. I have always just Benett mufflers, which don't quiet any at all.

I have chokes which I put on the carb's that don't come with one. I bought a hand full from Benett years ago at Byron's air show, around 20 years ago. I don't think he sells them any more, I haven't see them on his web site for years.

Heres a picture of my Q35 (on right)& G38 (center)with the muff's on. They won't work for what your doing.

Pat

Name:	Mk25982.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	115.3 KB
ID:	1866718