Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Had an "oh Duh" moment

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Had an "oh Duh" moment

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2012, 05:33 PM
rc-sport
My Feedback: (12)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Had an "oh Duh" moment

As I have stated in another thread I'm building my first kit in about 6 years. Well, it's clear that my building skills are a bit rusty. I finish every session with my finger tips full of CA. So I was looking for something on my shelf and spotted a box of latex glove. OH DUH, why don't I wear those. They worked great. finished a session with no CA on my fingers. It took me 10 years in this hobby to think of that.
Old 01-30-2012, 06:35 PM
Zor
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Had an

ORIGINAL: rc-sport

As I have stated in another thread I'm building my first kit in about 6 years. Well, it's clear that my building skills are a bit rusty. I finish every session with my finger tips full of CA. So I was looking for something on my shelf and spotted a box of latex glove. OH DUH, why don't I wear those. They worked great. finished a session with no CA on my fingers. It took me 10 years in this hobby to think of that.
rc-sport,

I hope you do not feel bad.

I bought a Buick and five years later I was cleaning the interior and bending forward to clean under the driver's seat.

Oh! what is this ? ___Lookslike switches or push buttons ___play with them ___ nothing happens.
Insert the ignition key and try again ___Hey the seat is moving up and down and the back change angle.

I sit in and electrically move the seat ___finished where I had been comfotable driving for five years.
Never touched these switches again for another five years. .

Zor

Old 01-30-2012, 09:55 PM
joescottsdale

I love having a bag of these disposal gloves at my workbench.

I use them most of the time when Iam working with epoxy or lacquer. I hate the smell of that stuff on my hands afterwards, not to mention the sticky stuff on my hands.

I also use Titebond II glue for most of my building. I like it because it doesn't smell, doesn't glue your skin togetherand gives you plenty of working time. I can't tell you how many times I glued something together but realized before it had cured that it wasn't right and was able to pull it apart because I was using wood glue. It also forces me to slow down and gives me time to read and reread the steps in the manual.

Obviously, you have to use CA and epoxy on certain parts of the plane but the bulk of it can be done with wood glue.

Good luck with it!
Old 01-31-2012, 06:13 AM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

Peeling CA off your hands is half the fun of building. When at work the next day peeling off CA, it reminds me of the fun I had the night before!  Almost as good as looking in the bathroom trash can finding that used, er nevermind........
Old 01-31-2012, 06:59 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I hate wearing latex gloves, but over the years I noticed something. I would occasionally get a major nose infection. Not sinuses, but around the nostrils and the tip of my nose would become swollen and red and hurt like hell.

It took a while but I finally realized that it would always happen a day or two after I had used epoxy. If I got it on my fingers and then touched my face, my nose went ballistic.

Then, one day I was out shopping and saw a box of latex gloves, so I bought them. I still hate wearing them, but I put them on anytime I'm using anything but a tiny amount of epoxy. Then when I'm done, I just peel them off and toss them. No more nose problems!
Old 01-31-2012, 07:20 AM
Zor
Banned

ORIGINAL: acdii

Peeling CA off your hands is half the fun of building. When at work the next day peeling off CA, it reminds me of the fun I had the night before! Almost as good as looking in the bathroom trash can finding that used, er nevermind........
__

Old 01-31-2012, 05:43 PM
KitBuilder

Don't think I would be able to wear gloves. I need to feel the wood, etc. Then again, at this point I don't have any allergy symptons from CA, but I also don't use it that much.