Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

2012 Hog Bipe rides again

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

2012 Hog Bipe rides again

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2012, 10:27 PM
Steveibrc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 2012 Hog Bipe rides again

Mine arn't installed yet. Was going with GP but the online store i ordered the last round of parts from had them backordered. Wound up getting H9. Sort of slick finished and rather odd shaped. Not quite sure which way they go in
Old 03-03-2012, 07:31 AM
Steveibrc

For JR.....how i went about the ticklish process of getting the root ribs in the lower wing halves positioned...A critical step.....I pinned the gage to the rib itself and then dropped ithe assembly into position prepared with t pins set on the plan line. When i got it where it need to be, i welded it to the lower spar. Be sure to double check that you don't shift things when you add the upper spar. Hope this helps.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om31945.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	48.8 KB
ID:	1734487  
Old 03-05-2012, 03:06 PM
shepard62
My Feedback: (10)

Left half of the bottom wing is seen in this photo. I really knew I was a builder when I got blood on the project !

Name:	Ig12381.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	240.0 KB
ID:	1735424   Click image for larger version

Name:	So43066.jpg
Size:	78.3 KB
ID:	1735425  
Old 03-05-2012, 03:07 PM
shepard62
My Feedback: (10)

Old 03-05-2012, 10:06 PM
Steveibrc

LOL it is easy to build one of these things, just sit down with an exacto, a chunk of balsa, and just open up a vein...........

You coming on with yours, Shepard Man. Looking at the thread dates, i think i started a little before you. I an slowing down on mine some. Domestic projects are pressing. Worked on servo hatch covers and wing servos tonight.

Looking through some of the build pictures tonight. A piece of 1x1 aluminum L bracket a couple inches longer than the top wing, a little over 4 feet, long, was one of my most reached for tools. Made every thing straight and flat................Will have to upload pics in the morning
Old 03-05-2012, 10:12 PM
Steveibrc

Name:	Pn36704.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	67.6 KB
ID:	1735563   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pk31571.jpg
Size:	62.5 KB
ID:	1735564   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wb75293.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	59.4 KB
ID:	1735565  
Old 03-07-2012, 06:01 PM
Daddyo57
My Feedback: (15)

Hey guys I thought I would update you all, my Hog Bipe is complete! I did an engine run and the 95 AX runs sweet and very quiet. I wanted to fly tuesday but we have been having high winds here in So Cal so I have to wait until a decent day. I just used the graphics that came with the kit on the tail, in fact the whole covering scheme is box stock really. the only thing I did different was put some checkers on the bottom wing for fun. I need to take some good out door pics and some with her sister Astro Hog too. I am anxious to fly this airplane! I went fairly conservative on control throws with a heavy dose of expo, the CG is in the middle range. I will post a couple of pics of her, not the best pics but best I can do indoors. A quick summary... I am using an OS 95AX 2 stroke with a Hayes 14 oz tank, HiTec 645 MG servos everywhere except throttle servo, dual aileron servos, Sullivan tailwheel bracket, 6 volt 2200 MAH NiMH Flight pack, HiTec 2.4 GHz with an Aurora 9 TX, and a Heavy Duty Charge switch sharing the cockpit with "Calculon" the robot from Futurama. I dont like to get too serious with my pilots Wow having a tough time uploading pics...

Name:	Ay76096.jpg
Size:	74.9 KB
ID:	1736158   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ez81849.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	66.5 KB
ID:	1736159   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ns44296.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	66.4 KB
ID:	1736160   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki18019.jpg
Views:	25
ID:	1736161   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ez82597.jpg
Views:	16
ID:	1736162  
Old 03-08-2012, 05:26 PM
Steveibrc

That is a nice classic hog!........ I know what you mean by 'complete' When you are sitting at my stage it just sorta looks built. I have a list a mile long. Plan to set my controls up the same way. Did you put a meter on the wings? Curious how yours built out in that regard. That and how it weighs in (pretty sure mine is going to be a pretty fat) Yours outta be near unlimited vertical with that much motor in a good OS two stroke.

Still have to run the glow sys wiring and a million other things. Got my radio system today and the motor is on it's way from Horizon repair from getting the case replaced from the tree strike. Should be as good as new. Nearly is, less than a gal of fuel through it before the crash. Sprayed the Minwax Polycrylic on the covering this morning. Two coats and it came out ok. Good enough for me anyway. Been kinda dreading that step. Wasen't quite sure what i was getting into.

Maybe the winds will lay for you soon Daddyo, and good luck on the maiden. Get us a video if you can!
Old 03-09-2012, 06:59 AM
Daddyo57

No I dont have an incidence guage... should I check it? yes but I will fly her as is as everything looks fairly straight... I wouldnt even know how to tell if I need to add more positive or neagitve incidence in the top wing, the bottom wing to horizontal looks good. I usually dont get too carried away on exact measurelments but I suppose on a Bipe I should check... I am thinking you would need to fill in the top hole with CA or Epoxy and redrill the cabane struts or make a new pair. I traced every part on the Hog as I worry these days about kits being discontinued... I could build an entire Hog Bipe if I really wanted to from the plans and tracings. I do this on every kit I build these days. I think today might be the day to maiden her, it is looking pretty good for the weather. I remember seeing a video of one of these hovering on a Saito 100... impressive, in fact I really wanted a Saito 100 in my Bipe but I have the one I own in my U-Can -Do 60 and it is all trimmed and balancd as is so I dont want to change it. Actually the 95AX would be better suited for the U-Can-Do 60. Here are a couple of more pics I took outside with a little better light. I also posed it with my Astro Hog sister ship.

Name:	Jh14572.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	59.8 KB
ID:	1736688   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mh20620.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	73.7 KB
ID:	1736689   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ej14423.jpg
Size:	66.3 KB
ID:	1736690  
Old 03-09-2012, 08:42 AM
Steveibrc

I would think that you will be ok on the incidence long as there was no having to jimmy the screws to get them to slide straight through the holes in the fusealage and aluminum cabanes. that and proper alignment of the wing block support structure. That part of my build came out being off about .15 of a degree off from from 0. A little more than a tenth of a degree. According to a digital H9 gage. Figured i would do more harm than good trying to correct that small amount. My stab is off .45 degree nose down. A bigger deal, but nothing i can do about it now short of whacking the tail off. I had a very small amount of twist and had to level the stab deck. Was carefull how i sanded, but did not yet have the gage when i set the tail feathers. Instructions warned about this.

And......what i have on my hands now is a big deal. I have four control surfaces hinged too tight and have truly pi**ed in my whiskey. Out of tolerance ranges from 1/8 inch to a full 1/4 on rudder. Nice tight gapseals alright....... Beginners mistake and i shoiuld know better. Both elevators, rudder and one aileron. Cut one elevator this morning to make myself commit to correcting the problem. I will not fly with control restrictions. Especially on elevator since my favorite flight regime is slow airspeeds. Oh Well.............Nothing to do but butcher and paste unless someone can come up with a magic hinge streacher. Nothing 6 or 8 hours of labor won't fix. Maybe.

Very nice pics of of a pair of pigs And godd luck if you get a chance to fly!

My poor hacked up hog as it sits.....

Name:	Bz76818.jpg
Size:	85.7 KB
ID:	1736720  
Old 03-10-2012, 06:10 AM
Steveibrc

Phew! Wasn't as much penance to pay on my hinge error as i thought it would be. About 3 hours. Maybe a bit better off hinge wise. Went back with 4 per surface on the tail. With a small one on the tips of the elevators. Outboard of the (old) end hinge. Will do the lower right aileron tomorrow. The rest of the ailerons are fine.

When i glue them back there will be enough clearance if it takes 2 inch packing tape for a gap seal.......speaking of which.......isn't there a 3M tape that is supposed to be good for that purpose? Anyone have any experience there?

Hope it went good yesterday for Daddyo!
Old 03-10-2012, 05:05 PM
badger5964
My Feedback: (6)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have read this thread since you started. My Hog, R.I.P, was an early build for me and still my favorite plane. Although she passed several years ago, I had yet to start on the box in my attic that has sat since Christmas 2009. I reviewed www.fubarhill.com, that is my Hog Bipe on top of page 5.

I wax nostalgic for the Hog Bipe and I opened it today. Glued together some sub assembliess and sorted out my build modifications. I'll move the gear forward 1/4" and glue and tristock the mount thourghly. I'll cut off the cheeks and build out a balsa cowl. I'll' add about 3/4" to rudder and a add a small counterbalance then shape to a more golden age look, and I'll use Sullivan Gold-N-Rods. The Hog gear location makes for nose overs, the mount is wimpy, I like a cowl and a side mounted engine, the rudder even with 3/4" is a too small for a knife edge, the stock Sig pushrods have a horrible coefficent of expansion and the fin and rudder look more at home on a WWII fighter than a biplane.

I really like the looks of the fabric on the build. Ultracote is my wrap of choice but it does look a little out of place on a biplane. I just finished painting my last build. It is a King Altair, fully fiberglassed and sprayed with blue and orange KlassKote epoxy. Looks wonderful. However all the time, effort and money in the finishing makes me scared to fly it. So your covering comes colored? When I get closer to covering I'll decide. For now its clue, carve and sand time.

I stuck the Fox 74 in the glycol croc pot to get it clean and shiny. This engine worked well in the first biplane and the Goldberg Super Chipmunk that took its place.

I am a slow builder so perhaps I'll get it done for the fall. I'll post some pics.

Looking forward to sharing the build and flight experience with you on RCU.

Old 03-11-2012, 08:33 PM
Steveibrc

Good to see you here, Scott! Always sad to lose a plane. Especially a kit built biplane. You do a really nice build. I have never done a balsa cowl, or even seen one for that matter. Looking at the pictures, the whole forward fusalage looks like it is one piece.....Am i missing somthing here?

Good that you are inspired enough to get that box down and get it kicked off! The post on Fubar said that your original hog was your 3rd kit in your first year. The enthuasism of youth! I really thought about moving the gear forward, but settled for just enlarging the plate along with Dubro gear. I passed on enlarging the rudder, the idea being that it was really going to build out on the heavy side with the cloth, glow sys, and a less than screaming powerful heavy twin cylinder motor. That being the case it would not really be capable of all out acro. (Me either for that matter Thanks for the coment on the Worldtex. It sure went on easy. When i get around to it and can track down the numbers, it will be interesting to calculate the difference in weight between it and an airplane covered in film like Ultracote

lol looks like we both have crash experienced engines, maybe they won't repeat their mistakes. I have heard the crock pot trick works wonders.

The King Altair is most definately a classic in it's own catagory, if you get a chance, post some pics.

The Worldtex is colored, What they are calling Antique is really more of a translucent light yellow. There is zero transparancy on the black which does do a nice job of setting off the yellow.

Thanks for droppuing a line and keep me posted........

Old 03-14-2012, 08:45 AM
Steveibrc

he pile of parts is beginning to look like an airplane! All linkages and aileron interconnects are installed and await final alignment. My Airtronics SD-10G has arrived along with my repaired Saito fa100t from Horizon Services. Debating if i am going to stick it on a test stand before instalation. Should be good to go with enough run time on it from the previous installation to be settled down and dependable. We shall see. Will install the new Airtronics reciever in another airplane this morning to get some flight on it before i trust a new build to it.

Have had quite a round with a H9 digital incidence meter. Very nice unit that appears to be extremely accurate They have a little battery just over 1/2 inch tall (15mm) and 3/8 inch in dia. (10) mm for power. Rated at 6v and 11 amps according to the battery label (whatever 11 amps means....never ran across numbers like that.). There is no auto off feature in the circuitry of the unit and the little digital inclinometers draw a heck of a lot of current apparently. Forget and leave the switch on, which i soon did, and the little battery is toast in short order. Found numerous references on the net regarding the problem. And all kinds pain and agony finding a replacement for the cheezy battery shorty of ordering it from Hanger 9. Folks have found the battery if they have a deticated camera store near by that carries these little odd balls. I don't have that luxury. The nearest possible source is a deticated battery store an hour drive from here. Way to go H9! Got a nice little 'Dollar Catcher' going on with part number HAN197.

I got to thinking 6v huh......well i have a new 6v 2000ma hump flight pack sitting here.....and a soldering iron and a female servo lead. Solder a pigtail to the battery contacts, hook it up and see and see what happens. And it works....beautifully! None of the smoke has leaked out and i see no reason that it will. 6v is 6v, no matter where it comes from, weather it is from a huge U boat submarine battery or a little cheezy camera style battery from China. Let the power hungry little rascal chew on the current from a good reciever pack and let it see if it can run it down!!! The only down side i can see is putting up with the wiring while running the unit. That and the unit looses calibration when the battery is removed, requiring a recalibration whenever the battery is plugged into the pigtail. No big deal....

Got a good handle on the build incidences last night using the new setup. Lower wing is dead on, within .1 degree. Top wing is at .3 degree negative incidence , and the horizontal stab is at .3 nose down. Have not checked thrust angle yet which i doubt i will hassle with checking because of the way the firewall locks into the fuselage structure.

Name:	Ge95058.jpg
Size:	82.4 KB
ID:	1738638   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hc93652.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	82.6 KB
ID:	1738639   Click image for larger version

Name:	Va71343.jpg
Size:	78.4 KB
ID:	1738640   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qk22208.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	85.2 KB
ID:	1738641  
Old 03-14-2012, 08:49 AM
Steveibrc

he pile of parts is beginning to look like an airplane! All linkages and aileron interconnects are installed and await final alignment. My Airtronics SD-10G has arrived along with my repaired Saito fa100t from Horizon Services. Debating if i am going to stick it on a test stand before instalation. Should be good to go with enough run time on it from the previous installation to be settled down and dependable. We shall see. Will install the new Airtronics reciever in another airplane this morning to get some flight on it before i trust a new build to it.

Have had quite a round with a H9 digital incidence meter. Very nice unit that appears to be extremely accurate They have a little battery just over 1/2 inch tall (15mm) and 3/8 inch in dia. (10) mm for power. Rated at 6v and 11 amps according to the battery label (whatever 11 amps means....never ran across numbers like that.). There is no auto off feature in the circuitry of the unit and the little digital inclinometers draw a heck of a lot of current apparently. Forget and leave the switch on, which i soon did, and the little battery is toast in short order. Found numerous references on the net regarding the problem. And all kinds pain and agony finding a replacement for the cheezy battery shorty of ordering it from Hanger 9. Folks have found the battery if they have a deticated camera store near by that carries these little odd balls. I don't have that luxury. The nearest possible source is a deticated battery store an hour drive from here. Way to go H9! Got a nice little 'Dollar Catcher' going on with part number HAN197.

I got to thinking 6v huh......well i have a new 6v 2000ma hump flight pack sitting here.....and a soldering iron and a female servo lead. Solder a pigtail to the battery contacts, hook it up and see and see what happens. And it works....beautifully! None of the smoke has leaked out and i see no reason that it will. 6v is 6v, no matter where it comes from, weather it is from a huge U boat submarine battery or a little cheezy camera style battery from China. Let the power hungry little rascal chew on the current from a good reciever pack and let it see if it can run it down!!! The only down side i can see is putting up with the wiring while running the unit. That and the unit looses calibration when the battery is removed, requiring a recalibration whenever the battery is plugged into the pigtail. No big deal....

Got a good handle on the build incidences last night using the new setup. Lower wing is dead on, within .1 degree. Top wing is at .3 degree negative incidence , and the horizontal stab is at .3 nose down. Have not checked thrust angle yet which i doubt i will hassle with checking because of the way the firewall locks into the fuselage structure.

Name:	Bz79558.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	82.4 KB
ID:	1738642   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mi21802.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	82.6 KB
ID:	1738643   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uz69846.jpg
Size:	78.4 KB
ID:	1738644   Click image for larger version

Name:	Le92354.jpg
Size:	86.6 KB
ID:	1738645  
Old 03-14-2012, 09:01 AM
Steveibrc

The new incidence meter trick....................

Name:	Li21195.jpg
Size:	91.6 KB
ID:	1738646  
Old 03-15-2012, 12:28 PM
Daddyo57

Hey Steve! Well the weather settled down enough and was able to get in my maiden flight! I had a world class pilot, Tony Frakowiak do the maiden, he is a several time champion in Pattern and F3A (I think... sorry if I got it wrong) pilot and has forgotten more than I will ever know about flying RC airplanes. It used a short amount of runway but part of that might have been the need for some down elevator trim... I am happy to say there was no aileron trim needed though! It is faster than I thought it would be! Killer roll rate, in fact I need to tame it down a touch, I am not sure if this due to using 2 servos or not but it rolls sweet! The OS 95 AX is running a touch rich due to being new and it still had more than enough power. I am thinking that now i need to possibly give the top wing some down incidence although Tony said it flew just fine as is. I really should have taken a movie but the decision to let Tony do the maiden was last minute, I figured I should let a pilot of his caliber fly it in case there were any problems and he was gracios enough to do it for me. I have a couple of things I want to do to it before I fly it again, it needs an ounce or two of nose weight as the elevator is touchy and I want to go over the whole airplane to check everything out. All in all an awsome first flight and i have a winner here! I cant wait to get out and burn up the sky with it soon. I am lucky enough to be able to transport it fully assembled too, a big help but it takes up a bunch of room that way.BTW Steve that exhaust system is awesome! I would love to see you fly that baby when you get it done!
Old 03-16-2012, 09:16 AM
Steveibrc

Way to go Daddyo!

It might not be possible to teach a pig to sing, but you can teach one to fly Glad it all went well with no mishaps. It will fly even better when you finish dialing it in. If you do add a bit more negative incidence on the top, it will be interesting to know the effect. How do you go about changing the incidence? I have heard folks talk about it, but have not read how to go about it. If you run across information on how to do that please post. I connected up the aileron interconnects the other day for the first time, With all that aileron surface, it should have a heck of a roll rate! I plan to leave mine assembled also, and it will definately will help with transport issues. I suspect a lot of the interplane strut hassles, directly result from the wear and tear from assembly and teardown. Sure wish i had done the cabane bolt reversal trick, it would have been a prettier build.

My son has be down here from MS for the last couple days on spring break. from college. We had a ball playing with model airplanes like a couople kids. He still is a little kid to me i guess. Two tours as a combat marine in Iraq, a a deployment to the Horn of a Africa and and a liason tour with the Israli Army. and he still allows me to think of him as my baby boy.....Humors the Old Man. To all reading this, please support our returning troops. They are the ones that bearBetween that and some remodeling at home, my progress has been slowed a bit.

I have started at the nose cleaning up the last of the build chores. I hope to get the final cuts done on the cowl today. I want to get it and the wheel pants done and the painting completed so it can cure while i finish the rest of the build. I have flown the new reciever in another airplane for proof of reliability and the list of details for completion is getting shorter! Everything is falling into place. I was really concerned about bending the exhaust pipes. They have been bent repeatedly for a couple of instalations (and one crash where they got bent violently) and i was concerned they would break on this final instalation for them. I thought about heating them for bending with a small torch, but was advised that trying to use heat to aid bending would result in them crumbling. They survived the bending, but they are on their last legs i am sure.

Name:	Rp44068.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	74.6 KB
ID:	1739413  
Old 03-21-2012, 07:50 PM
Steveibrc

Well......Anybody out there? Been fairly busy on the hog project.. Guess about 10 more hours or so to final assembly. Details and more details. Have got the split elevator geometry set up as well as i can figure out. This airplane is going to come out heavy. The twin, glow system, and the Worldtex will tell the tale on the grocer's scales. Saved a gram or two where i could, but it was as futile as ordering a diet coke with a triple cheeseburger and large fry.

Got the pvc today to build a homemade balance stand. Stuck all the parts and pieces together to get a feel for the cg. Looks like it is going to be nose heavy best i could tell by fingertips. I might be in for a battery placement headache. Good real estate is hard to come in my radio layout for an aft battery.

Where you guys on your builds? Beginning to wonder if anyone is reading this.....drop a line and let us know how you are progressing if you building or any other comments and advise are welcome for sure

Name:	Bz78260.jpg
Size:	94.4 KB
ID:	1741334  
Old 03-22-2012, 08:38 AM
gunneredwards
My Feedback: (4)

I just started on mine yesterday... the only mod I have done so far is put a door in it for the fuel tank.

Name:	Zx70237.jpg
Size:	68.6 KB
ID:	1741405   Click image for larger version

Name:	Av69358.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	51.8 KB
ID:	1741406  
Old 03-22-2012, 10:20 AM
raydar

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Its a great model, the low weight (7 1/2 pounds) and two large thinwings make it both fast if you want but fly really slow as well, it will even prop hang with a good 91 fs!. Got to love it.
Old 03-23-2012, 04:41 AM
Steveibrc

Gunneredwards, You are moving right along for sure. Must not be your first rodeo for sure if you have framed up the fusalage and started on the hatch the first day! As i have shared with others, hopefully you have not installed the FBF as of yet. Keep us posted and time spent in the Hog threads is time well spent....

Raydar, i plan to weigh mine this weekend. and the scales will tell. I feel sure the weight will rule out a super performer, but it should be ok.

Bolted the engine up to the test stand for a run this morning before final instalation, and plan to build the balance stand today. If every thing goes ok, may do the maiden flight this weekend if the weather corporates. Supposed to have frontal passage today, will be windy tomorrow, and Sunday should be nice
Old 03-23-2012, 05:59 AM
Daddyo57

Steve make sure you check the valve adjustments, I notice on four dtrokes it makes a big difference... Gunnaredwards, it is great to see you building a Hog!!! I have to say, i was surprised at how fast this airplane is! I like it! I cant wait to wring mine out big time, I am hoping it will hover but with the small stock rudder it will be iffy... No biggy, i didnt build it as a 3-D airplane, wrong choice for that but i do want an aerobatic airplane ad it will fill he bill for that. Steve your Bipe is looking awesome! I recomend going conservative on the CG as the elevatoer is sensitve if the CG is set to the tail heavy side... I am going to weigh mine and will let you guys know what it comes out at. I am going to get a movie of the Bipe flying if I can get a good photographer at the field.
Old 03-23-2012, 07:27 AM
gunneredwards

I have actually installed the fbf... just goin to post a few more picts and hope you can see a little better at to how I did the hatch latch. I have limited room inside the fuse but have no problem getting to the toggle to disengage it. I took yesterday off from building but hope to have the fuse and stab done this weekend. probably get done with the wings during the week and maiden on sat if all goes well with the job hunt.

Old 03-23-2012, 07:34 AM
gunneredwards

I channeled a piece of light burch to house the rod and have a hook in the back that is secured in a channel cut in light ply... crude but effective.
dan

for some reason, rcu doesnt want to take my pictures this morning.

Name:	Wu59477.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	62.4 KB
ID:	1741726   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hd94574.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	70.2 KB
ID:	1741727  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.